Big Bad Billy Whitehurst

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
Top article here. Just a taster...

It was during an ‘Evening with Vinnie Jones’ — by then a Hollywood star — that he was asked what it was like to be the hardest man in football. Jones pointed towards the front row and Whitehurst — a special guest — and said: ‘You best ask that man.’

Jones respected Whitehurst and wrote in his autobiography of the night Big Billy stepped in as trouble brewed in a Sheffield bar.

‘There were a few players out having a drink,’ says Whitehurst. ‘Next thing, about 30 Wednesday hooligans came in. They started giving Jonesey a bit of stick. Then a bottle flew over my head and cut Dave Barnes on the side of his face.

‘I turned around and this big p**** among them said, “You can turn back around as well, you ugly b*****d”. Well he couldn’t have been talking to me, so I went up to him, “Come on big man, you and me outside”.

‘I floored him with one punch. I thought I’d killed him. The next day CID came to the training ground and wanted to speak to us — as witnesses!’

Jones described the punch as the best he had ever seen, inside or outside of a boxing ring.

I taught his daughter a while back. Thank goodness she was a good student, because the class desks we had at parents' evenings weren't that wide and I wouldn't have fancied telling him any bad news!

I think it was Alan Hanson who said that if you managed to win the ball from Billy, at some point later in the game he would suddenly appear behind you, and whisper in your ear "I'll be waiting in the tunnel for you after the game, so that we can have a little chat about that...", and that was it, you were scared stiff and avoided the ball for the rest of the game.

Remember the series United fid for BBC in 1990? Bassett in dressing room said when team went out the crowd cheered "but Billy there got fuck all." Stuck in my memory.

Billy lived near doncaster around about 20 years ago i ran a taxi business he was a sound bloke never no trouble

When he was in the mood, his Sunday afternoon story times in the Cricketers were brilliant.

When he was in the mood, his Sunday afternoon story times in the Cricketers were brilliant.

Entertaining I'd bet.

Fast forward a few years, Mousset in a bar and the most interesting story will be how he crashed a Lambo and ate loads of shite.

A lot of things might improve with the modern game, but I'm not sure the stories will.................

1610991154708.png

Back
Top Bottom