Beyond a doubt

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Going up

Reaction score
After another valiant and giant killing effort, can we finally all admit that Nigel and the staff know what they are doing.?

For those that panicked before we had a chance to bed in. For those that were saying our team is crap, or Nigels new additions were crap, can we finally admit that, beyond any doubt, Nigel knows what he is doing?

It should have been obvious after last year, but not to some.

I hope that we have heard the last of the doubters and the the "booers" and we can get back to being 100% behind the team. Let's show the League that we are the best supporters in the game.

Without a doubt Cloughie and his team are taking us forward, my mind has never wandered from this since last season. However, I’d still suggest that we don’t get carried away just yet, same as I thought in preseason and after two league defeats.
The squad is still a very fresh but last night it sounded like Basham and Doyle played well together and the back four was pretty solid throughout. I said a few weeks back that we’d need until the end of August before the back four settled down and mid sept before the team settles down. Looking forward to watching the match on Blades Player.

Roll on to Saturday and Preston will be tough. The difference with this seasons cameo cup run, is that we have a squad to pick from, I think someone mentioned in the shoutbox that the replacements are of a similar quality JCR for Flynn, Wallace for Baxter, McEveley all sounded like straight swaps. I’d be interested to hear the views of those that went on the changes, particularly Wallace, he’d played an hour in the U21’s earlier yesterday.

Still think we’ll win the league but we’re building slowly.

There are going to be low moments during this season and seasons to come but let's all remember how we feel now. Nigel Clough has our trust back. If we lose a couple of matches don't let's start talking relegation and all that negative stuff.

To hijack another thread if we keep believing in this guy then it will all fall into place.

Finally full respect to those that travelled. Many thanks. Did us proud.

After another valiant and giant killing effort, can we finally all admit that Nigel and the staff know what they are doing.?

For those that panicked before we had a chance to bed in. For those that were saying our team is crap, or Nigels new additions were crap, can we finally admit that, beyond any doubt, Nigel knows what he is doing?

I hope that we have heard the last of the doubters and the the "booers" and we can get back to being 100% behind the team. Let's show the League that we are the best supporters in the game.

Yes, true, but remember that one of the criticisms put forward by posters after the first couple of matches was that we should return to a more orthodox back four. Following the two defeats Clough decided that was right, and changed it.

I don't think the "in Nigel we trust" sayings should be used as an argument against every slight disagreement with line ups and tactics. He can't get everything right, and it must be allowed to point that out. However, unlike many of our past managers, we can usually trust that Clough also sees what is not working, and will then make changes to try rectifying it.

Yes, true, but remember that one of the criticisms put forward by posters after the first couple of matches was that we should return to a more orthodox back four. Following the two defeats Clough decided that was right, and changed it.

I don't think the "in Nigel we trust" sayings should be used as an argument against every slight disagreement with line ups and tactics. He can't get everything right, and it must be allowed to point that out. However, unlike many of our past managers, we can usually trust that Clough also sees what is not working, and will then make changes to try rectifying it.

Absolutely right. I know we can't know what Clough knows, and we aren't professionals, but when a high percentage of Blades fans posting on here and whom I spoke to in person were all saying that the main problem was the team selection and formation, and the abandonment of that team and formation has seen an immediate improvement in results, it does tend to suggest people's concerns were vaild.

And everyone is behind the team. People do not criticise selection or tactics because we want United to lose. We all want them to win. this is something that people who leap on here to immediately criticise other fans after games do not understand, and will never understand I suspect.

Blah blah, we won so shut up everyone. I trust the manager totally but this old clap trap trotted out after every win really is about as tiresome as Harry's Game returning from his slumber post defeat. Without critics we just all clap along and nothing ever changes. I Was there Saturday and what I saw concerned me. Should I sit on my hands and just say "we won its all OK"?

I agree some go over the top with negativity but that's life. We aren't playing well in the league right now and in the same way 2 defeats wasn't the end of the world 3 wins is good, but it doesn't equal promotion.

If you want peace and harmony I'm afraid you are in the wrong place.

Revolution, I have to respectfully disagree. Not everyone is behind the team. The booing in the stands the other day proved it.

Getting the first win at home was necessary, either by hook or by crook.

There were also many slagging of players who have had minutes to prove themselves or fit into a new system.

I only hope those are now on board and backing the team.

Last edited:
Blah blah, we won so shut up everyone. I trust the manager totally but this old clap trap trotted out after every win really is about as tiresome as Harry's Game returning from his slumber post defeat. Without critics we just all clap along and nothing ever changes. I Was there Saturday and what I saw concerned me. Should I sit on my hands and just say "we won its all OK"?

I agree some go over the top with negativity but that's life. We aren't playing well in the league right now and in the same way 2 defeats wasn't the end of the world 3 wins is good, but it doesn't equal promotion.

If you want peace and harmony I'm afraid you are in the wrong place.

Good post.

I agree that United were so poor last Saturday and all season to worry us. As regards last night, we should remind ourselves that we were the underdogs, scrapping and fighting for everything with a very cautious, deep formation, not really looking to win the game except perhaps on the break, but certainly not forcing the issue. Good away cup football. Without wishing to devalue last night's achievement that way is much easier to perform and it is just what Crawley tried to do to us.

Playing in League 1 at home against underdogs is a much different proposition and players have to stand up and be counted in expressing themselves. That needs a lot more confidence and bottle than harrassing and hounding the opposition all night, especially in front of our home crowd which at times needs more confidence and bottle too!

We drew with west ham reserves through the aid of an own goal. I'm not planning the promotion party just yet.

The opponents I think most of us were dreading (thanks to the media hype) have been dispatched and another superb result, Blades.

Wembley? Getting sick of the sight of the bloody place!

Seriously, I think the MKD win, and the style of the goals they took, mean that's another team to watch in this 'easy' season.

The mental strength of this team is amazing, particularly when you compare it with the spineless bunch (containing many of the same individuals) that went before.

Like when Villa equalised last season, I assumed it was all over once West Ham went in front.

Being a manager isn't all about tactics and formations, it's about creating a group who never give up, who have an unbreakable spirit and who will back each other 'til the end.

Good post.

I agree that United were so poor last Saturday and all season to worry us. As regards last night, we should remind ourselves that we were the underdogs, scrapping and fighting for everything with a very cautious, deep formation, not really looking to win the game except perhaps on the break, but certainly not forcing the issue. Good away cup football. Without wishing to devalue last night's achievement that way is much easier to perform and it is just what Crawley tried to do to us.

Playing in League 1 at home against underdogs is a much different proposition and players have to stand up and be counted in expressing themselves. That needs a lot more confidence and bottle than harrassing and hounding the opposition all night, especially in front of our home crowd which at times needs more confidence and bottle too!

Spot on, last night was another Cloughie type game, similar to most of his reign last season where we were up against it and battling for survival (so to speak). Fantastic win at Peterborough and we then struggle at home to Crawley, this is where NC is still under scrutiny IMO, can we dominate and put to bed the teams we need to when we're favourites, particularly at home.

Spot on, last night was another Cloughie type game, similar to most of his reign last season where we were up against it and battling for survival (so to speak). Fantastic win at Peterborough and we then struggle at home to Crawley, this is where NC is still under scrutiny IMO, can we dominate and put to bed the teams we need to when we're favourites, particularly at home.

We were odds on at home in 8 games under Clough last season. W6 D1 L1. 18th January v Bradford was the last time we failed to win at home when odds on (using 365 prices).

3 wins by a single goal plus the Crawley game though, we're not putting teams away.

We were odds on at home in 8 games under Clough last season. W6 D1 L1. 18th January v Bradford was the last time we failed to win at home when odds on (using 365 prices).

3 wins by a single goal plus the Crawley game though, we're not putting teams away.

Not that I don`t want us to put teams away and win more convincingly, but unconvincing single goal wins was pretty much the backbone of Charltons promotion season...

If you win 1-0 or 15-0 you still only get 3 points.
I'd like us to score more like anyone would but a wins a win.
Same goes for entertainment value in a game, I would rather united win scrappy over drawing or losing playing pretty football. I'd prefer winning playing pretty football over all but that's not usually the way it works.

We were on a roll last season and hopefully we can do the same this, all I'm saying is that it's a clean slate this season with a new squad and early signs, including pre-season, is that we're struggling to get clear of teams (as Cloughie mentioned last night). I've no doubt the team spirit, tactics etc away from home will be fine which was the original point in this thread but we can't rely on pinching 1-0s, and until we start winning games comfortably when we're expected to do so, we can't really say that everthing's on track.

Revolution, I have to respectfully disagree. Not everyone is behind the team. The booing in the stands the other day proved it.

There were also many slagging of players who have had minutes to prove themselves or fit into a new system.

Couldn't disagree with a post more (unless you'd used "so called supporter" or "scapegoat" in there).

Everyone wants us to win and get promoted. Some people have different ways of showing it/going about it.

All this "everyone should support the team like me" is just garbage. Rev and Bladesway are spot on, the ONLY thing not to be enjoyed about a result like last night is threads of this ilk.

We were on a roll last season and hopefully we can do the same this, all I'm saying is that it's a clean slate this season with a new squad and early signs, including pre-season, is that we're struggling to get clear of teams (as Cloughie mentioned last night). I've no doubt the team spirit, tactics etc away from home will be fine which was the original point in this thread but we can't rely on pinching 1-0s, and until we start winning games comfortably when we're expected to do so, we can't really say that everthing's on track.

I'd rather be winning games 1-0 than 3-2. That way if the goals dry up you still have a point...

Not that I don`t want us to put teams away and win more convincingly, but unconvincing single goal wins was pretty much the backbone of Charltons promotion season...

If you win 1-0 or 15-0 you still only get 3 points.
I'd like us to score more like anyone would but a wins a win.
Same goes for entertainment value in a game, I would rather united win scrappy over drawing or losing playing pretty football. I'd prefer winning playing pretty football over all but that's not usually the way it works.

Not knocking it was #justsaying, I'm more than happy to keep winning 1-0. The margins are narrower if we don't score a few more though, Crawley very nearly equalised in the 94th minute. If we're being picky, a few more goals would be nice.

I'd rather be winning games 1-0 than 3-2. That way if the goals dry up you still have a point...

A win is a win and obviously a last minute winner in a scrappy game leaves fans feeling happier than losing 5-4 in a thriller. The main point of this thread is that NC knows what he's doing and we should all trust that he's got it right as per the 2nd half of last season. I'm not sure we've shown the same level of dominance we showed at times yet and it still seems to me that he's happiest as an underdog and his teams seem to reflect that. If we're to achieve promotion, we can't play defensively and on the counter attack, it won't work over 46 games.

We certainly cannot rely on pinching 1-0s to go up.

Charlton won 1-0 8 times that season, which is a lot (we did it 5 times that year think) but they also scored 82 goals. That's how you get promoted. Lots of goals. Can we do that?

The booing on Saturday was fans disagreeing with a player's refusal to cross the ball. I think we should differentiate that from just booing players who aren't having a good match.

What I thought was fantastic of Clough was against Crawley he (and everyone else) could see how immobile we were going forward, one change, Murphy up top and Baxter on the wing. I thought to myself, 'why have a player a lot less mobile and agile on the wing?' Five minutes later he scored the winner, then five minutes after that probably should have doubled our lead. Simple but effective, I was impressed

There's lots to like at the minute - We're playing with great spirit (Collins/Alcock bust-up aside), we'r edging tight games which do the players a world of good and we're starting to see the team taking shape with Clough starting to find his best team.

I still worry though that the team hasn't got the capacity to blow teams away, few players that will have the opposition truly worried. Scraping 1-0s will do well as a solid base but we'll need to start taking some teams apart if we want to be among the automatic candidates.

And the thing to take from last night is surely the feelgood factor, not to use it as some sort of yardstick (e.g. thinking we can match PL sides). We used a late winner in an awful game in the Cup vs Fulham to kick start us last season. It wasn't a brilliant performance it just gave everyone a lift.

People have to jump on the bandwagon after a couple of wins saying 'thats it,everythings hunky dory now,' well it ain't,not yet anyway.We have to do it over a sustained period of time to get the praise and the same goes for losses aswell,don't go saying its gone tits up after a couple of losses either.

Also let people say their views on both sides,its this what keeps the forum side of the buisness entertaining.

Cloughy said in his interview last night that he's no where near happy yet,and after seeing the games so far,i'd say he is right in saying it.

Back
Top Bottom