Best 10 Game Memories

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lampiao

Old Git
Reaction score
As there's nothing of importance going on a BDTBL at the moment I thought I'd share my top 10 match memories of those I've attended. I guess everyone has different lists, I've tried to put them in order of "enjoyment"

1971 Sheffield United 5-1 Cardiff - Promotion decider
2003 Sheffield United 4-3 Nottingham Forest ( Best play-off game we’ve had)

2002 Sheffield United 2-1 Leeds (League Cup) (Jags late strike

1971 Sheffield United 7-0 Ipswich Town (Woodie’s four)

1973 Sheffield United 5-0 Arsenal (Currie sits on ball)

1990 Leicester City 2-5 Sheffield United (Sheffield Double!)

2006 Sheffield United 1-0 Arsenal (Jags in Goal)

1993 Sheffield United 2-1 Manchester United (FA Cup) (Hodges ruins Fergies day)

1982 Darlington 0-2 Sheffield United (champions)

1968 Sheffield United 3-2 Tottenham (Currie debut)

1997 Ipswich Town 2-2 Sheffield United

1992 Sheffield United 2-0 Pigs

1992 Sheffield United 2-1 Manchester United (1st day of the premier league - never has this club in my lifetime been as successful as on the evening of that day)

2003 Sheffield United 4-3 Nottingham Forest

2003 Sheffield United 3-1 Pigs

1993 Sheffield United 2-2 Blackburn Rovers (5-4 on pennos)

1990 Sheffield United 3-2 Nottingham Forest

2002 Sheffield United 2-1 Leeds

2006 Sheffield United 3-2 Hull City

2001 Pigs 1-2 Sheffield United

Unfortunately missed Leicester 90 and Swillsboro 92, Leeds 1-0 in the FA Cup Quarter final 2003 is close to this list, but any victory against the pigs always lives in my memory.

Fields
Currie
Woodward
Edwards
Deane
Brown
Jags
Rees
Hockey
Murphy

:):):D:p

1971 Sheffield United 5-1 Cardiff - Promotion decider
2003 Sheffield United 4-3 Nottingham Forest ( Best play-off game we’ve had)

2002 Sheffield United 2-1 Leeds (League Cup) (Jags late strike

1971 Sheffield United 7-0 Ipswich Town (Woodie’s four)

1973 Sheffield United 5-0 Arsenal (Currie sits on ball)

1990 Leicester City 2-5 Sheffield United (Sheffield Double!)

2006 Sheffield United 1-0 Arsenal (Jags in Goal)

1993 Sheffield United 2-1 Manchester United (FA Cup) (Hodges ruins Fergies day)

1982 Darlington 0-2 Sheffield United (champions)

1968 Sheffield United 3-2 Tottenham (Currie debut)

Missed the 5-0 win against Arsenal as I was in my third week at boarding school and the Darlo match. I was too young for TC's debut. I would replace them with the 1-0 League Cup win against L**ds in Sept 1970, the 3-1 win at Wendy in March 1992 and the 3-2 win against Wendy ("Sub Tudor Sinks Owls") in Oct 1970

Usually gets a mention so here goes; Sheffield United 5-4 Brighton (3-0 up, 4-3 down, last minute winner in front of kop!) September 1989.

Blades 3-1 Leeds August 1971 My first visit to BDTBL and the cementing of a lifelong love affair

Leeds 0-1 Blades 1975?6? Woodward

Leeds 0-4 Blades, Monty scored and how good was it to wipe the smug smiles off all my neighbours faces.

( these are in addition to all the classics above btw)

It was 3-0!
It was indeed and definitely in my top 10. Along with Cardiff the year before. Bradford 0-2 81-82, 7-0 Ipswich, Northampton Town 7-3, Blackburn QF, Hull City SF, 3-1 Pigs 2003, 2-0 Pigs 1992, Leeds 0-1 Blades (can't remember the year but KE scored)

Haven't got many dates for you but.....
Beating Watford to go up to Div 1 - I was in the away end helping my mates father collect for the blind institute. Atmosphere was electric and by 'eck can the kop make some noise when it wants too! That started me going to matches more regularly.
At Leeds when we walloped them 0-4. "Are you watching Calendar!"
Brownies beautiful volley against the pigs.
Being at Darlo when we won the Div 4 championship.
The 4-3 win against Forest in the play off semi second leg. Took a full week to calm down :D
Jonathon Forts looping goal against Spurs in a pre-season friendly.
Tonges two late goals against Liverpool league cup semi first leg.
TC planting a smacker on Alan Birchinalls lips while they sat side by side on the pitch.
Second half against Crudwiff. - 0-0 at half time, 5-3 at full time.
Watching Brian Deane score the first ever Premiership goal in our 2-1 win against Manky Utd. :D

Flamin' 'eck! Where do I start?

League games only for now

1968 Sheffield United 3 Tottenham Hotspur 2 (Currie scores on his debut - hope sprang eternal!)

1968 Burnley 0 Sheffield United 2 (Blades relegation season but Burnley were difficult to beat at home (lost only 2 up to then and we needed the points with 2 or 3 games left) - brilliant performance from the Blades)

1968 Liverpool 1 Sheffield United 2 (Fortress Anfield breached by rank outsiders, BoSS gets lift home on team coach! How on earth did we go down that season?)

1971 Sheffield United 7 Ipswich 0 (Woody scores 4 and that goal from near the half way line - or so it seemed. BoSS was changing ends and was watching from the cricket pavilion when it went in)

1971 Sheffield United 5 Cardiff 1 (Smashed a contender, Promotion is soon, fantastic atmosphere, 40,000+ in the Lane under the floodlights)

1972 Nottingham Forest 2 Sheffield United 3 (Ground full of Blades in every stand)

1973 Sheffield United 5 Arsenal 0 (TC shits on Ball, sorry sits on ball :))

1982 Peterborough 0 - Sheffield United 4 (Div 4 Title year - Slammed a contender)

1982 Darlington 0 Sheffield United 2 (Champions and despite official attendance figures, 18,000+ plus Blades packed out the ground)

1992 Sheffield United 2 Manchester United 1 (Saw 1st ever Premier League goal - Kop awesome)

Flamin' 'eck! Where do I start?

League games only for now

1968 Sheffield United 3 Tottenham Hotspur 2 (Currie scores on his debut - hope sprang eternal!)

1968 Burnley 0 Sheffield United 2 (Blades relegation season but Burnley were difficult to beat at home (lost only 2 up to then and we needed the points with 2 or 3 games left) - brilliant performance from the Blades)

1968 Liverpool 1 Sheffield United 2 (Fortress Anfield breached by rank outsiders, BoSS gets lift home on team coach! How on earth did we go down that season?)

1971 Sheffield United 7 Ipswich 0 (Woody scores 4 and that goal from near the half way line - or so it seemed. BoSS was changing ends and was watching from the cricket pavilion when it went in)

1971 Sheffield United 5 Cardiff 1 (Smashed a contender, Promotion is soon, fantastic atmosphere, 40,000+ in the Lane under the floodlights)

1972 Nottingham Forest 2 Sheffield United 3 (Ground full of Blades in every stand)

1973 Sheffield United 5 Arsenal 0 (TC shits on Ball, sorry sits on ball :))

1982 Peterborough 0 - Sheffield United 4 (Div 4 Title year - Slammed a contender)

1982 Darlington 0 Sheffield United 2 (Champions and despite official attendance figures, 18,000+ plus Blades packed out the ground)

1992 Sheffield United 2 Manchester United 1 (Saw 1st ever Premier League goal - Kop awesome)
It was Len Badger that scored from near halfway line just before in the 7-0 win against Ipswich. Keeper Sivell should have saved it, Think he thought it was safer to tip it over the bar rather than catch it but he tipped it to under the roof of the net.

Remember the Nottingham Forest match well. Ian Storey-Moore was their best player. Hot day. Photo of the match below. TC with Doug Fraser challenging him

league-division-one-nottingham-forest-v-sheffield-united-4561792.jpg

It was Len Badger that scored from near halfway line just before in the 7-0 win against Ipswich. Keeper Sivell should have saved it, Think he thought it was safer to tip it over the bar rather than catch it but he tipped it to under the roof of the net.

Remember the Nottingham Forest match well. Ian Storey-Moore was their best player. Hot day. Photo of the match below. TC with Doug Fraser challenging him

That's a picture of a man in his absolute pomp. Twenty one years old, still possessed of his youthful swagger, every trick in the book in his armoury and pulling the strings in a great team.

All the above games are great memories!

Some goals. A couple of screamers in recent memory; James Beattie, long range free kick against SWFC at the Lane, Jags last gasp long range wonder strike against Middlesborough at the Lane, Monty's inch perfect cross to Webber to win at Newcastle, Webber's feeble grass cutter that secured our return to the Premiership, before the end of the season.

All above from memory, so if I have got any detail wrong, apologies and please correct for me!

V Brighton late 80's winning 2/3-1 at half time. Brighton fight back & 4-4 when we scored in last minute to win 5-4. Lost my best watch going mental at back of cop. Anyone find a rotary?

V Luton 95 I think after relegation from premier league away. Sat in family stand with blades top on & my Luton supporting mate from work. Won 5-2/3 I think & we had to asksteward if we ccould go & sit with utd support as I was getting kicked & spat on...that's why they ended up in non league.

V Southampton away. Vinnie Jones first game I think. Again stood in home crowd as I worked away & cheered Deane's headed goalonly for it to be ruled out. Kids above us ppouring hot chocolate onto fans heads

Seeing as I've only been going since the late 90s so I'm limited to mainly cups and derbies rather than promotions or Currie moments but here goes:

2002 Sheffield United 2-1 Leeds. Jags screamer.

2003 Sheffield United 2-1 Liverpool. Tonge's brace.

2003 Sheffield United 3-1 Pigs. Brown's goal though.

2003 Sheffield United 4-3 Forest. Best game I've been to. OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!

2006 Sheffield United 1-0 Arsenal. Jags being a better keeper than anyone since Kenny.

2009 Sheffield United 3-2 Pigs. That half-time being 3-0 up was just incredible.

2014 Sheffield United 3-1 Forest. Sat next to my then girlfriend who was a Forest fan. All hail King Ports.

2014 Sheffield United 2-0 Charlton. The atmosphere was unreal, lost it when Brayford's goal went in.

2014 Sheffield United 3-5 Hull City. Never thought I'd even see us score at Wembley, never mind go in ahead at half time.

And a very strange final one but:

2011 Swansea City 4-0 Sheffield United. We were already down, got annihilated, but the atmosphere was great and the Swansea fans clapping us out is something I won't forget.

same as the ones here but Cammacks screamer in the 'happy easter' firework fog against dirty Leeds in about 1974 always sticks in the memory

Indeed, my second ever game that Leeds game, quickly following my first against Southampton, the previous Saturday, which was the one we won 3-1, I think.
Yes, Brian O'Neil pulled a goal back for the saints after a Woody pen and a Salmons header gave us a 2-0 lead at half time. Flynn made it 3-1 before the thunderstorms arrived!

same as the ones here but Cammacks screamer in the 'happy easter' firework fog against dirty Leeds in about 1974 always sticks in the memory
Easter Tuesday 1975. The fireworks near the soon to be completed South Stand was supposed to be set off after the final whistle but during injury injury time it had set off prematurely which seemed to stun the L**ds players more than our players and sub Cammack whacked in the equaliser at the Kop end

I would never question your encyclopedic knowledge Silent Blade but are you absolutely sure it was the Badge that scored against Ipswich?

I only ask because other people have spoken about that goal and attribute it Woody

Easter Tuesday 1975. The fireworks near the soon to be completed South Stand was supposed to be set off after the final whistle but during injury injury time it had set off prematurely which seemed to stun the L**ds players more than our players and sub Cammack whacked in the equaliser at the Kop end
yeah that's the one.. after the bastards had been time wasting for about 80 minutes (i could be exaggerating)

yeah that's the one.. after the bastards had been time wasting for about 80 minutes (i could be exaggerating)
Although we didnt dominate as much as we did in the 1-0 League Cup win against them last season but my favourite memory of the 3-0 win was when we were leading with a Flynn goal was that Gary Sprake looking at me (I was sat in the front row the BLUT) in a funny way because I was talking loud and excited that we were leading against the mighty L**ds (I hadnt noticed him looking at me until my dad telling me nodding at the direction of the glum looking Sprake :D:D). another favourite memory was in the late stages (we were still leading 1-0) and I think it was Eddie Gray who got tripped just outside the penalty box but the ref waved "play on" and several furious L**ds players ran to the ref and hassling him but the ball was kicked upfield (to the Lane End) and Scullion received it on the left (Paul Madeley was the only outfield L**ds player in their half trying to defend) and Sprake came of of goal to help out. Scullion saw Dearden racing on the right so he squared the ball for our number 9 to slot the ball past the helpless Sprake

Yes, see the description of Woody's goals against Ipswich here (post #8). Badger's goal was just before half time which would explain why you were changing ends

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/alan-woodwards-goals-and-assists.40133/

The goal was scored in the Lane end surely?

I wouldn't change ends to watch us kicking into the Lane edn second half.

Bit of a puzzle this

Anyway, according to you we only scored 5 :D

GOAL - v Ipswich (h) 27.11.71. United took the lead following a brilliant ball by Hemsley and some good running and unselfish work by Dearden. Woodward cut in and though his shot lacked his normal power it was incredibly accurate and tucked just inside the left hand post to beat Sivell's belated dive.
GOAL - v Ipswich (h) 27.11.71. Salmons was brought down at full speed by Hunter and Mr Gow gave the Blades a penalty. Woodward sent Sivell the wrong way with the spot kick.
ASSIST - v Ipswich (h) 27.11.71. Reece made it 3-0 with a brilliant header from a Woodward corner.
GOAL - v Ipswich (h) 27.11.71. Woodward completed his hat-trick in the 57th minute with a glorious left foot, first time volley, in meeting a ball by Hockey.
GOAL - v Ipswich (h) 27.11.71. In the 80th minute United made it seven with Woodward slamming home his fourth goal of the afternoon after Sivell could not hold a fierce Salmons drive.

Back
Top Bottom