Baxter

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

breeny

Reaction score
Lazy or indecisive? He seemed to take an age over deciding how to distribute the ball today and like other matches the ball had long gone before he'd decided what to do.

Where is his best position?!

on the bench. If he wants to start regularly he needs to sort out his attitude and fitness. When he got the ball on the left wing on Wednesday and had to run half the pitch, I thought we might have to call for an ambulance.

Think it's a "style" he's got into trying to look casual on the ball. Can't think of a top player that does it, even the best are quick to receive distribute and move. Won't find his top level unless he sharpens up IMO

He was absolutely superb today. Your asking for someone who can conduct a game from midfield well he's the nearest thing to McCall since he left. We all know his pace is not the best but he puts in some great tackles if he's in range. His passes today great even the two loose ones near the end, if Diego was still on he would probably have got to them.

I have a rubbish memory for games gone by but recently he played one game just in front of the back four for us and he was magnificent. If he plays too far forward he slows the game down too much.

So you now know where I would play him

I have a rubbish memory for games gone by but recently he played one game just in front of the back four for us and he was magnificent. If he plays too far forward he slows the game down too much.

So you now know where I would play him

Its a shame we are out of the JPT as I would love to see Baxter given a chance in that role again. Maybe too risky for a league game but if by some miracle we are cemented in a play-off spot with games to spare then I would really like to see him given that role again

Its a shame we are out of the JPT as I would love to see Baxter given a chance in that role again. Maybe too risky for a league game but if by some miracle we are cemented in a play-off spot with games to spare then I would really like to see him given that role again

Why is it such a big risk? The game he played there was against Preston at home and they were physically very strong in the first half. Doyle took the fight to them but Baxter did his bit defensively and as said above controlled the game the longer it went.

So Baxter is a more natural holding midfielder than an attacking player? Seems be the common opinion...maybe that's where his strengths lie?

Bags of talent, but something just doesn't work for him, whether its fitness or laziness I don't know. Im glad Davies played today as i'm bored sick of Baxter pointlessly smashing freekicks into the crowd

He was absolutely superb today. Your asking for someone who can conduct a game from midfield well he's the nearest thing to McCall since he left. We all know his pace is not the best but he puts in some great tackles if he's in range. His passes today great even the two loose ones near the end, if Diego was still on he would probably have got to them.

Absolutely spot on, he was my man of the match today, everything came through him second half and he looked cool and calm on the ball, didn't rush passes and Basham/ reed were doing the running and chasing as he sprayed the ball left and right.

Looks really good playing deeper.

Nobody can slag Baxter after today, another fine display in a deeper role, something I noticed the first time we played Preston, a game in which he was the stand out player on the pitch. He was very good today, Murphy coming on helped him a lot though. It would be difficult for anyone to be trying to get the ball to the feet of the statues we had upfront today.

Why is it such a big risk? The game he played there was against Preston at home and they were physically very strong in the first half. Doyle took the fight to them but Baxter did his bit defensively and as said above controlled the game the longer it went.

That's a good point. I just know that if I was in charge I would bottle playing him there in an important game

even the two loose ones near the end, if Diego was still on he would probably have got to them.

Absolutely spot on, he was my man of the match today, everything came through him second half and he looked cool and calm on the ball, didn't rush passes and Basham/ reed were doing the running and chasing as he sprayed the ball left and right.

Looks really good playing deeper.
I have to confess, that bit of my quote was suggested by a very kind bloke we travelled with today;).

Baxter and reed are the only two players we've got who always look like they've got ages on the ball.

Think you should include Basham in that mould also - his ability to bring the ball out of defence is second to none and always seems to offload successfully as well. Prefer him in midfield, but have to concede he has fitted into a "poor man's Rio" at CH extremely well. Reads the game well - same as Baxter and Reed.

Still see him as a replacement for Doyle - purely because he is comfortable on the ball and reads the game well.

UTB

Think you should include Basham in that mould also - his ability to bring the ball out of defence is second to none and always seems to offload successfully as well. Prefer him in midfield, but have to concede he has fitted into a "poor man's Rio" at CH extremely well. Reads the game well - same as Baxter and Reed.

Still see him as a replacement for Doyle - purely because he is comfortable on the ball and reads the game well.

UTB

I was thinking more along the lines that both Baxter and Reed look extremely comfortable under pressure. They work hard to generate space for themselves, and don't just look to get rid of the ball just because somebody is closing them down.

The consensus is that running isn't Jose's strong point. We get lots of amusement out of him not quite closing down or getting to the ball in time, but appearing to put in lots of effort.

So, playing deeper, which generally involves less anaerobic effort, is likely to suit him better. That's what he did yesterday and a few misplaced passes apart, he looked much better.

I was thinking more along the lines that both Baxter and Reed look extremely comfortable under pressure. They work hard to generate space for themselves, and don't just look to get rid of the ball just because somebody is closing them down.

They do indeed - both have talent. Reed is exceptional - everything he does is done with precision and appears as natural as I have ever seen. He is IMHO as good a midfielder since TC and I was fortunate enough to see TC join the club and develop. Hope Reed does the same.

As for Baxter - NC has used him all over the place, so in a way he is messed about a bit - but there is no doubting his ability or vision - just needs to step up a bit more and be more consistent. I like Baxter, but still maintain we don't seem to do as well when both he and Scoogs play in the same midfield - it was noticeable yesterday that Scoogs didn't play and particularly in the second half when we had proper balance to the team, we were exceptional.

UTB

Play him over Doyle on Wednesday?
Thought Doyle was poor at whl.
Really ? Doyle chased and harried the Spurs midfield all night breaking up their possession again and again,I thought he was superb. If we are to find a place for Jose it would be as a quarter back style role ,whether we can afford that type of player is another matter but it may work if we stick to one up front with 2 wingers and 2 midfelders in front of him ,Doyle and Coutts/Scougall ?

Really ? Doyle chased and harried the Spurs midfield all night breaking up their possession again and again,I thought he was superb. If we are to find a place for Jose it would be as a quarter back style role ,whether we can afford that type of player is another matter but it may work if we stick to one up front with 2 wingers and 2 midfelders in front of him ,Doyle and Coutts/Scougall ?

Tottenham tried to find space between our midfield and defence with Kane dropping off a lot and wide men cutting in, and Doyle did a good job to prevent that, using his experience and positioning. Not seen yesterday's game yet, but Preston are normally more direct and try to get the ball out wide to create, so maybe the holding midfield position wasn't quite as demanding from a defensive point of view?

Baxter offers far more than Doyle as a playmaker, but we'll always have to weigh up if we can cope defensively with him in a holding role. Regarding your suggestion of Doyle and Scougall in front of Baxter, that's what we tried at MK Dons and it didn't work at all. While Doyle did well in that role in our recent home game vs Preston, battling with their central midfielders, he was exposed for his lack of offensive contribution at MK Dons. Long term I don't think it's a good idea.

For the Spurs match it would foolish to leave out Doyle he was terrific last week.

Time and time again he has shown he is the man for the big matches constantly breaking up play always in the opponents face.
Different eyes see different game, and I didn't rate Doyle Wednesday, but that's the beauty of the game.
Opinions opinions.

Different eyes see different game, and I didn't rate Doyle Wednesday, but that's the beauty of the game.
Opinions opinions.
If you look at it in perspective ,he was our key midfielder ,with a 17 year old and a 22 year old neither who have played at higher than 3rd division level ,with a combined height of about 6 foot ,up against experienced premier league internationals worth 10s of millions of pounds and we limited them to 2 shots on target ,1 a pen. If you cant rate him in that what can you rate him in ?

Opinions opinions.

That's a big shame - Doyle's was excellent - some were just more excellent than him.
He covered ground that others didn't and at times his organising goes un noticed.

UTB

Modern football clubs use Prozone or the like. Players do not get away without putting a shift in. Management know their players better than they ever have.

Baxter's casual air can be misleading, but I reckon the majority of fans appreciate what he does or tries to do. A minority look simply at his frame and only really notice when he makes mistakes. I sit near a good fan who can watch Baxter play a blinder for half an hour then play holy war when he makes his first misplaced pass.

I do think his days are numbered if we play 4-4-2 more often. I was pleased to see that we tried 3-5-2 yesterday. That suits our squad of players

I do think his days are numbered if we play 4-4-2 more often. I was pleased to see that we tried 3-5-2 yesterday. That suits our squad of players

We tried it for 10-15 minutes - Basham was in the middle of Mcgahey and Kennedy, with Alcock wide left and Davis wide right.
It clearly wasn't working for other reasons as well and Basham dropped into centre midfield.
The next 20 minutes was a better but we were still all over the place at times and it wasn't until Murphy came on that the balance of the team was restored.
To be fair to Baxter, he looked good yesterday in a 4, but again what a lot of Blades haven't mentioned is Basham did a lot of the hard yards in the centre which allowed Baxter/Reed to look good players. I get fed up of defending Basham - he has a lot of qualities fans miss.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom