Battle of Bramall Lane Article - Part 482

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sothall_Blade

Reaction score
http://mentalfloss.com/uk/sport/35574/football-and-the-infamous-battle-of-bramall-lane

<< The Saturday 16th March 2002 tie between Sheffield United and West Bromwich Albion was not anticipated to be particularly special or memorable. West Bromwich Albion were assured of a play-off spot but had little chance of catching second place rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers. Sheffield United were comfortably mid table and had nothing to play for. Both teams were known for tight defences and scoring few goals, so this one had 0-0 written all over it.

By the end of the afternoon two players were out of a job, three were injured, three received red cards, one finished the match with a bleeding head, two had to be restrained by police, the referee was in tears and not even 90 minutes of football had been played. The match became so infamous that it has since been dubbed The Battle Of Bramall Lane, after the home side’s ground.

Sheffield United were in trouble after just nine minutes, when goalkeeper Simon Tracey misjudged a clearance and was sent off for a deliberate handball outside the area and denying a goalscoring opportunity. This also used up the first of United’s substitutions. The first half was otherwise unremarkable, save for West Brom’s first goal courtesy of Scott Dobie. The second half began no better, and after 62 minutes Sheffield were down 2-0 after West Brom captain Derek McInnes scored a 20 yard screamer. Then, the violence started.

United manager Neil Warnock used his remaining two substitutions in bringing on George Santos and Patrick Suffo. George Santos had a history with Albion midfielder Andy Johnson, who had broken Santos’ eye socket the previous season in a collision during a match with his then-club Nottingham Forest. While Johnson maintained that the collision was accidental (as did the football league, who took no action), Santos and Sheffield United saw it as a deliberate elbow to the face, and Santos actually sued Andy Johnson for damages (although the case went no further due to this very match). The incident left him needing a five hour operation to reconstruct his face and save his eye, and needing a titanium plate to hold his skull together. Being the first time they had played each other since then, Santos was out for revenge.

After coming on in the 64th minute, George Santos' first action was to tackle Andy Johnson by taking a running dive with both feet in an attempt to break Johnson’s legs, a decision which not only saw him immediately sent off, but also ended his Sheffield United career. The resulting melee, which involved all 20 men still left on the pitch, left Sheffield United with another red card. Substitute Patrick Suffo, in an apparent attempt to support the dismissed Santos, got into an argument with Albion captain Derek McInnes and headbutted him in the face. Contemporary reports suggest he also headbutted Albion defender Darren Moore. No matter how many players Suffo assaulted, he too was dismissed, and he too never played for Sheffield United again.

By this point the match was out of control. Sheffield players ended up fighting Suffo just to get him off the pitch and stop him causing more damage. The captains of the two sides engaged in a fist fight in which United captain Keith Curle is alleged to have repeatedly punched McInnes. While the incident was out of view of all the officials and the TV cameras, McInnes required several stitches and was visibly bleeding until the end of the match. Photos also seem to show Albion defender Larus Sigurdsson kicking Patrick Suffo up the backside, and a separate altercation between Scott Dobie and Keith Curle being broken up by the referee. Albion player Adam Chambers also complained to the FA after claiming to have been racially abused during the brawl.

The fighting spilled off the pitch and into the rest of the stadium. One Sheffield United fan rushed the stewards and made it into the away fan area in an attempt to steal a West Bromwich Albion flag. And a fight even broke out in the press box between rival reporters. One reporter was so stressed by the incidents that he was unable to file his match report.

In the tunnel, Johnson and Santos met again. Johnson was suspected of having a fractured leg, but Santos had waited in the tunnel to jump Johnson and finish the job. In the resulting melee Santos was rugby tackled by the Albion physiotherapist before being restrained by police, and Johnson was locked in his dressing room after trying to attack Santos with crutches. In Johnson’s words: “I’ll hit him with this big metal stick”.

A third goal for Albion was inevitable, and another red card was narrowly avoided when Sheffield midfielder Michael Brown, already on a yellow card, decided the best way of tackling a bandaged McInnes was by pulling him to the ground. After a couple more incidents involving Keith Curle apparently trying to get himself sent off (and another fight breaking out), Michael Brown walked off the pitch and decided to take no further part in the game. Manager Warnock claimed he was injured, although Albion manager Gary Megson disputed that, as Brown had left the pitch under his own power and without even the team physio.

As United had already used their three substitutes, they now had only seven men on the pitch, the minimum required for a match to continue. When United player Robert Ullathorne pulled a muscle in his leg and had to limp off injured, referee Eddie Wolstenholme was forced to abandon the match on the grounds that Sheffield United were down to only six men. He was reportedly in tears after the match, although to be fair to him he must have been suffering severe writer’s cramp at this point.

Albion manager Gary Megson was incensed by the scenes he saw. "I've been in professional football since 16 and I'm 42 now. I've never ever witnessed anything as disgraceful as that. There is no place for that in any game of football, let alone professional football.” When asked about his feelings on possibly having to replay the match, he said “"There will be no replay. If we are called back to Bramall Lane we shall kick-off and then walk off the pitch.” Megson also accused Warnock of trying to get the match abandoned by instructing his players to feign injuries, or even get themselves sent off, in the hope of forcing a replay. Warnock strongly denied these accusations, and later gave a television interview in which he said the 3-0 result should be allowed to stand.

The FA decided that there should be no replay and the match should be recorded as a 3-0 West Bromwich Albion victory. Patrick Suffo was fined £3,000 and given a six match ban, and was transfer listed by Sheffield United. Georges Santos too was transfer listed and given a six match ban. Keith Curle was fined £500 and banned for two matches (had the referees seen the fight it would have been more; he was only charged with improper conduct towards a match official). Neil Warnock himself was charged with improper conduct and fined £300. The club were fined £10,000 for failing to ensure the proper conduct of their players.

No West Bromwich Albion players were charged. >>

Still got the programme, thought I'd save it, not really sure why, probably thought it would be worth a few bob, in around 100 years maybe, on reading the report it sounds 100 times worse than I remember it, the thing is when I read the final bit about the ginger git he still has the ability to wind me up, something about him I really hate.

One thing with warnock he had battlers with a passion for OUR sheff utd

According to Matthew Bell in "Fit and Proper", Warnock was fired after the game but managed to talk himself back into the job over the next 24 hours.

"referee Eddie Wolstenholme was forced to abandon the match on the grounds that Sheffield United were down to only six men. He was reportedly in tears after the match"

I think the whole thing started to turn nasty with the sheer glee he showed when sending Tracey off early doors. He ran about 30 yards with card held high. Cunt.

"Megson also accused Warnock of trying to get the match abandoned by instructing his players to feign injuries, or even get themselves sent off, in the hope of forcing a replay."

If memory serves, nobody but Megson - who is an utter wanker - remembered hearing this.

Still remember walking down Shoreham street after the game thinking "what the hell have i just witnessed" ? didn't know whether to laugh or be angry about it. Glad to see the report back up what i thought at the time, that Michael Brown jogged straight down the tunnel after no intervention from a physio, and that Keith Curle was doing his level best to get sent off......a very dodgy 2nd half that was.

"Megson also accused Warnock of trying to get the match abandoned by instructing his players to feign injuries, or even get themselves sent off, in the hope of forcing a replay."

If memory serves, nobody but Megson - who is an utter wanker - remembered hearing this.

Some people sitting close to the bench claimed to have heard it at the time.

upload_2016-2-10_14-24-46.jpeg
images

It was carnage that day, we could do with some of that passion now :mad:

Ahh, The Battle of Bramall Lane, great days. So much fight, so much passion. Compare that to the infamous game on Tuesday 24 November 2016, versus Shrewsbury Town, which has come to be known as The Rolled Over and Tickled Bellies Of Bramall Lane.

How the fuck did we get ourselves in this state?

I'd love to see our current bunch of wankers in that scrap:

Collins would probably swing a foot at someone, miss entirely then blame the nearest cunt to him.

McEveley would go in with a two-footed lunge.....on the referee.

Baxter would be too busy trying to snort the halfway line

Scougall would probably get used as a spitball.

Sammon would attempt a headbutt before getting decked by the smallest man on the pitch

Sharp and Coutts would come charging over to the action but everyone would have already gone home by the time they get there .

And nobody would remember anything Hammond did.....

http://mentalfloss.com/uk/sport/35574/football-and-the-infamous-battle-of-bramall-lane

<< The Saturday 16th March 2002 tie between Sheffield United and West Bromwich Albion was not anticipated to be particularly special or memorable. West Bromwich Albion were assured of a play-off spot but had little chance of catching second place rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers. Sheffield United were comfortably mid table and had nothing to play for. Both teams were known for tight defences and scoring few goals, so this one had 0-0 written all over it.

By the end of the afternoon two players were out of a job, three were injured, three received red cards, one finished the match with a bleeding head, two had to be restrained by police, the referee was in tears and not even 90 minutes of football had been played. The match became so infamous that it has since been dubbed The Battle Of Bramall Lane, after the home side’s ground.

Sheffield United were in trouble after just nine minutes, when goalkeeper Simon Tracey misjudged a clearance and was sent off for a deliberate handball outside the area and denying a goalscoring opportunity. This also used up the first of United’s substitutions. The first half was otherwise unremarkable, save for West Brom’s first goal courtesy of Scott Dobie. The second half began no better, and after 62 minutes Sheffield were down 2-0 after West Brom captain Derek McInnes scored a 20 yard screamer. Then, the violence started.

United manager Neil Warnock used his remaining two substitutions in bringing on George Santos and Patrick Suffo. George Santos had a history with Albion midfielder Andy Johnson, who had broken Santos’ eye socket the previous season in a collision during a match with his then-club Nottingham Forest. While Johnson maintained that the collision was accidental (as did the football league, who took no action), Santos and Sheffield United saw it as a deliberate elbow to the face, and Santos actually sued Andy Johnson for damages (although the case went no further due to this very match). The incident left him needing a five hour operation to reconstruct his face and save his eye, and needing a titanium plate to hold his skull together. Being the first time they had played each other since then, Santos was out for revenge.

After coming on in the 64th minute, George Santos' first action was to tackle Andy Johnson by taking a running dive with both feet in an attempt to break Johnson’s legs, a decision which not only saw him immediately sent off, but also ended his Sheffield United career. The resulting melee, which involved all 20 men still left on the pitch, left Sheffield United with another red card. Substitute Patrick Suffo, in an apparent attempt to support the dismissed Santos, got into an argument with Albion captain Derek McInnes and headbutted him in the face. Contemporary reports suggest he also headbutted Albion defender Darren Moore. No matter how many players Suffo assaulted, he too was dismissed, and he too never played for Sheffield United again.

By this point the match was out of control. Sheffield players ended up fighting Suffo just to get him off the pitch and stop him causing more damage. The captains of the two sides engaged in a fist fight in which United captain Keith Curle is alleged to have repeatedly punched McInnes. While the incident was out of view of all the officials and the TV cameras, McInnes required several stitches and was visibly bleeding until the end of the match. Photos also seem to show Albion defender Larus Sigurdsson kicking Patrick Suffo up the backside, and a separate altercation between Scott Dobie and Keith Curle being broken up by the referee. Albion player Adam Chambers also complained to the FA after claiming to have been racially abused during the brawl.

The fighting spilled off the pitch and into the rest of the stadium. One Sheffield United fan rushed the stewards and made it into the away fan area in an attempt to steal a West Bromwich Albion flag. And a fight even broke out in the press box between rival reporters. One reporter was so stressed by the incidents that he was unable to file his match report.

In the tunnel, Johnson and Santos met again. Johnson was suspected of having a fractured leg, but Santos had waited in the tunnel to jump Johnson and finish the job. In the resulting melee Santos was rugby tackled by the Albion physiotherapist before being restrained by police, and Johnson was locked in his dressing room after trying to attack Santos with crutches. In Johnson’s words: “I’ll hit him with this big metal stick”.

A third goal for Albion was inevitable, and another red card was narrowly avoided when Sheffield midfielder Michael Brown, already on a yellow card, decided the best way of tackling a bandaged McInnes was by pulling him to the ground. After a couple more incidents involving Keith Curle apparently trying to get himself sent off (and another fight breaking out), Michael Brown walked off the pitch and decided to take no further part in the game. Manager Warnock claimed he was injured, although Albion manager Gary Megson disputed that, as Brown had left the pitch under his own power and without even the team physio.

As United had already used their three substitutes, they now had only seven men on the pitch, the minimum required for a match to continue. When United player Robert Ullathorne pulled a muscle in his leg and had to limp off injured, referee Eddie Wolstenholme was forced to abandon the match on the grounds that Sheffield United were down to only six men. He was reportedly in tears after the match, although to be fair to him he must have been suffering severe writer’s cramp at this point.

Albion manager Gary Megson was incensed by the scenes he saw. "I've been in professional football since 16 and I'm 42 now. I've never ever witnessed anything as disgraceful as that. There is no place for that in any game of football, let alone professional football.” When asked about his feelings on possibly having to replay the match, he said “"There will be no replay. If we are called back to Bramall Lane we shall kick-off and then walk off the pitch.” Megson also accused Warnock of trying to get the match abandoned by instructing his players to feign injuries, or even get themselves sent off, in the hope of forcing a replay. Warnock strongly denied these accusations, and later gave a television interview in which he said the 3-0 result should be allowed to stand.

The FA decided that there should be no replay and the match should be recorded as a 3-0 West Bromwich Albion victory. Patrick Suffo was fined £3,000 and given a six match ban, and was transfer listed by Sheffield United. Georges Santos too was transfer listed and given a six match ban. Keith Curle was fined £500 and banned for two matches (had the referees seen the fight it would have been more; he was only charged with improper conduct towards a match official). Neil Warnock himself was charged with improper conduct and fined £300. The club were fined £10,000 for failing to ensure the proper conduct of their players.

No West Bromwich Albion players were charged. >>
Thats one not to tell your grand kids about until they are of age ==18 ,seemed unreal at the time ,but when you get passionate managers
they create passionate teams,Bassett had a similar experience in the anglo- Italian cup,but he went a step further and also got sent off.
The amusing thing about that match was Bassett calling the ref a wanker with the gesture thrown in .It was very funny at the time.
Of course we lost the match and we're out of the competition.

According to Matthew Bell in "Fit and Proper", Warnock was fired after the game but managed to talk himself back into the job over the next 24 hours.
Wouldnt surprise me. Warnock's pre-match talks to the media inflamed things as he was talking about playing Santos hinting that he wanted revenge for what happened at the Forest match a year earlier. We will never know what Warnock whispered in Curle's ear (captured by the tv cameras) just after the three sending offs

Wouldnt surprise me. Warnock's pre-match talks to the media inflamed things as he was talking about playing Santos hinting that he wanted revenge for what happened at the Forest match a year earlier. We will never know what Warnock whispered in Curle's ear (captured by the tv cameras) just after the three sending offs

Santos was quoted in the paper as being ready to go after Johnson and Warnock brought him on anyway. That was at best negligent.

Thats one not to tell your grand kids about until they are of age ==18 ,seemed unreal at the time ,but when you get passionate managers
they create passionate teams,Bassett had a similar experience in the anglo- Italian cup,but he went a step further and also got sent off.
The amusing thing about that match was Bassett calling the ref a wanker with the gesture thrown in .It was very funny at the time.
Of course we lost the match and we're out of the competition.

I liked it. I had people coming up to me going on about what a disgrace we are and, whether we are or not, I'll always argue the point with non-Blades. Sticking up for the club against a load of abuse was actually an enjoyable thing to do. It got me more interested than I had been for a few years.

Santos was quoted in the paper as being ready to go after Johnson and Warnock brought him on anyway. That was at best negligent.
Yes, I remember Warnock talking about playing him. I posted in BU on the eve of the match that Warnock's comments werent wise

I posted the same only the other day. Not even his own coaching staff stood next to him backed him up on this.

I posted the same only the other day. Not even his own coaching staff stood next to him backed him up on this.

The fourth official, who was stood between the two, is also supposed to have said he heard nowt of the sort.

First time I've heard about journalists scrapping in the press box, and one being so shaken he was unable to file a report. I wonder what Sheffield journos were in there. I can't imagine James Shield steaming in, though Alan Biggs might have.

Not sure about that Dale, the players, at least some of them, might just have been up for a scrap, it's an historical tradition amongst British males and I doubt that'll never change.
Not saying it was right or wrong but got your point .it was the fact that they could be bothered ie fight and passion and in general warnocks side if lacking skill would give there whole for the team

Back
Top Bottom