Basham Immense

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladesthorpe

Reaction score
Just got back from Bradford after an excellent day out, terrific game and a credit to league one. Many fans have been on here saying Basham is not good enough but if you had been there today you would have realised what an integeral part he is to the team, winning tackles, headers and spraying some great passes to his team mates his performance was immense. Only down side was CW not picking O'Connell at left back where 2 of their goals were scored, he would have been there to clear both.
The defence was more shaky than it's been for a few games but not as shaky as theirs, Moore never made a save yet picked the ball out of the net three times whereas their keeper made three great saves. I have been a critic of Sharp over the last few weeks but today he was on fire and scored 2 great goals, sadly he let himself down by giving the yap yap sign to the fans after his second goal. He gets paid a lot of money to ply his trade and should take criticism in his stride. Last season we would have gone under but not now with this set of players and could have won it in the end, a great team spirit which fills me with optimism for the future and if we can keep these high standards up then we will be very near to promotion come May.

Yep. Third season in a row he's had a stormer at Valley Parade.

I agree with your observations on Sharp in particular. I've seen some nonsense on another thread on here, suggesting that some Blades "hate" Sharp - absolute tripe! No one that I've witnessed on here has ever written anything of the sort. What some of us have said is that, despite the goals, his performances so far this season have been poor and that he's looked unfit and contributing little else to the team. I'm one that has said that about him and I stand by it. However...in the last 2 games Sharp has been excellent and yesterday he was positively "on fire" as you say. He looks yards faster and I thought that game yesterday was about the best I've ever seen him play for us! More of that please Billy!

I think almost all the players did well. Fleck was immense again in midfield. The only player I thought wasn't at the races fully was Daniel Lafferty. He's not convinced me at all so far - he had two golden opportunities yesterday to just put the ball in the box for others to finish off and he blasted both into the stands. I've not watched the video back but let's just say our defence wasn't so hot yesterday at clearing the ball. I think we'd have done better with O'Connell in there for sure.

Back to Basham for a moment though - and clearly he claimed the final touch on our 3rd goal on the day - but I was stood right behind that goal and I didn't see him connect with it - and did you see Billy Sharp's reaction to Basham afterwards? He wasn't very pleased with him at all! I also heard on RS that Billy had gone and snatched the match-ball and asked everyone to sign it - a sign that he felt the 3rd goal was his! If Basham is claiming the credit for a goal that wasn't his - and should have been the one that marked Billy's hat-trick - then he's not going to be a popular lad in that changing room for much longer!

I agree with your observations on Sharp in particular. I've seen some nonsense on another thread on here, suggesting that some Blades "hate" Sharp - absolute tripe! No one that I've witnessed on here has ever written anything of the sort. What some of us have said is that, despite the goals, his performances so far this season have been poor and that he's looked unfit and contributing little else to the team. I'm one that has said that about him and I stand by it. However...in the last 2 games Sharp has been excellent and yesterday he was positively "on fire" as you say. He looks yards faster and I thought that game yesterday was about the best I've ever seen him play for us! More of that please Billy!

I think almost all the players did well. Fleck was immense again in midfield. The only player I thought wasn't at the races fully was Daniel Lafferty. He's not convinced me at all so far - he had two golden opportunities yesterday to just put the ball in the box for others to finish off and he blasted both into the stands. I've not watched the video back but let's just say our defence wasn't so hot yesterday at clearing the ball. I think we'd have done better with O'Connell in there for sure.

Back to Basham for a moment though - and clearly he claimed the final touch on our 3rd goal on the day - but I was stood right behind that goal and I didn't see him connect with it - and did you see Billy Sharp's reaction to Basham afterwards? He wasn't very pleased with him at all! I also heard on RS that Billy had gone and snatched the match-ball and asked everyone to sign it - a sign that he felt the 3rd goal was his! If Basham is claiming the credit for a goal that wasn't his - and should have been the one that marked Billy's hat-trick - then he's not going to be a popular lad in that changing room for much longer!

I was in the side stand and it seemed clear as crystal to me that Basham got the touch.

Either way, I don't really care who got it though.

Agree with your comments on Sharp, he's been poor most of the season but played well yesterday. That's the type of performance we want from him most of the time. It probably helps that he was playing up top rather than 10, 15, 20 yards deep.

As for Basham and the defence, I thought Wilder's selection didn't work <they did concede three>, we missed O'Connell's leadership and aggression, plus he naturally balances the defence being a left footer on the left side of defence. It seemed to me that we had Wright on the left, Basham on the right (picking up Hanson in open play) and EEL as the spare man. For me Wilder should have gone back to the normal defence <before Shrewsbury> JOC on the left, EEL on the right (matching up against Hanson) and Wright as the spare man reading the game and sweeping up. That defence has natural balance, I thought yesterday that balance wasn't there and hence we conceded three.

The reaction of the Bradford fans around us to Billy said it all.
They would love to have him in their side and that he's the best striker in the league!!!

I thought our defense was poor today and completely at fault for their goals; not closing down or quick enough to react and being beaten for pace!

They would love to have him in their side and that he's the best striker in the league!!!

I thought our defense was poor today and completely at fault for their goals; not closing down or quick enough to react and being beaten for pace!
Strangely Wayne Jacobs on radio Leeds was saying just the same about how Bradford gifted us two goals whilst they played really well to create theirs.

It stands to reason that if teams are going to play on the front foot then there are going to be spaces at the back.

Both teams went for it yesterday so both left gaps and that's why there were 6 goals in the game.

If both teams had played more conservatively both defences may well have been magnificent and the score could well have been 0-0.

You cant have it all ways and I know which type of game I prefer.

True enough but if he'd had the game against Bradford that he had against Southend they'd have been mouthing off about how crap he was.

His failure to keep tabs on their No. 8 (Dieng) as he went for the return cost us a goal that could easily have been cut out. He was caught ball-watching, and then left in no-man's land in the penalty area just covering grass. This was a throw-back to our problems last season. Hopefully CW will watch the video with the lads and have them tighten up again. Freeman again leaves far too much space for his wing-man to exploit. Despite these defensive frailties showing up again I think we're the best team/squad in the division, and at last we have an intelligent man in charge who is able to get respect from his charges, and the best out of them. Happy days are here again............

I thought Bash was culpable for their first and third. Should have cut the cross out completely for the first and left the lad (whilst ball watching) for the third.

On Billy's form.
I believe that it is significant that he is looking sharp now that we have Duffy, Fleck and Coutts in midfield and the wingbacks creating chances.
His runs are being found by skilled playmakers instead of going to waste. - another reason Bash has limited value in our future.

Good problem to have really.

Been ages since players were getting genuinely pushed for a shirt.

With perhaps the exception of the fullback positions we seem to have some decent cover now so if performances drop off there is actually someone to come in and challenge. Despite the squad seize over the last few years there never really seemed to be any pressure on players to keep performing.

We've now got :

wright, O'Connell, EEL, Wilson and Bash - for the centrebacks

Fleck, Coutts, Bash fighting it out for the 2 in the middle.

Chapman, Scouggs, Duffy for AM position and

Done, Sharp, Lavery and Clarke when fit up top.

Must make a difference to performance knowing there's someone ready to step in if required.

With perhaps the exception of the fullback positions we seem to have some decent cover now so if performances drop off there is actually someone to come in and challenge. Despite the squad seize over the last few years there never really seemed to be any pressure on players to keep performing.

We've now got :

Must make a difference to performance knowing there's someone ready to step in if required.
The ability to replace injured, suspended and out of form players with players of a similar level is something few clubs in L1 have. To top that, we've also got two or three young players who could step in if there's a real crisis. And that's how it should be for us. We're actually acting like the club we are; we've properly balanced the use of our resources. We're still a touch vulnerable in a couple of positions but overall we've got strength in depth.

We've now got :

Where'd Freeman and Lafferty vanish to?

Where'd Freeman and Lafferty vanish to?

Think these are the only positions where we don't really have much cover to the same level. Although in fairness to Hussey ( he's not looked great) but it might suit him more to play wing back rather than full back.

I wish he had the same leadership skills as Wright, because he is a better player than him. But Wright is absolutely class at what he does so it's imperative he stays in the team.

I think it's unfortunate for him but when JOC is back Basham needs to go back to the bench, no matter how well he played yesterday. We conceded 3 goals, JOC has been a big part of our good run and is only now missing due to illness.

Basham is gonna have to wait his turn for me.

I wish he had the same leadership skills as Wright, because he is a better player than him. But Wright is absolutely class at what he does so it's imperative he stays in the team.

I think it's unfortunate for him but when JOC is back Basham needs to go back to the bench, no matter how well he played yesterday. We conceded 3 goals, JOC has been a big part of our good run and is only now missing due to illness.

Yes and no "squeezing him" into the team in midfield. That's fine.

As others have said JOC provides balance and leadership. As well as Jake Wright is playing, don't be surprised if Tufty goes back in for Webster or the Wigan lad (okay, I've forgotten his name, I admit it. Craig David or similar....) in January.

Seems to be an issue with Basham, he must train really well and he gives it all on the pitch but he seems to always be fitted in somewhere

Great player to have on the bench

As well as Jake Wright is playing, don't be surprised if Tufty goes back in for Webster or the Wigan lad (okay, I've forgotten his name, I admit it. Craig David or similar....) in January.

I've also thought about this. It is a possible area we might try to strengthen and both Craig Morgan and Byron Webster would be suitable to play in the middle of a back three, especially Morgan.

But depending on where we are in the league, we might set our sights a little higher. That goes for any other positions we might look to strengthen in. I don't think we'd sign a player who could only do a job in L1 if we're in the top two and looking good for promotion.

Seems to be an issue with Basham, he must train really well and he gives it all on the pitch but he seems to always be fitted in somewhere

The only issue now is that we have three very good footballers in midfield and a well balanced and settled back three. Right wing back's a definite possibility for him with his exceptional fitness levels, and I also wonder if he could displace Wright in the back three, with EEL moving to the middle. There will be a place for him in midfield in a lot of games too - yesterday would've been ideal and Wilder will have taken note.

For me, our strongest line up has to have Basham in it. No one else has the combination of attributes he has, he's a bonus physically when not playing in defence, and he's a good enough footballer not to hinder us too much in possession. Also has a spot on attitude and can be relied on to give 100%, and that's important.

I seem to remember an interview where it was said that the current training regime is very intense and Basham is one of the ones who relishes it. I still think he suffers from the classic utility player problem of being better than many in certain characteristics, but not outstanding enough overall in any given position.

I normally hate when people say someone is a good squad player because it usually means "clearly not good enough for the first team". Basham is one of the few that I think will break that mould for us this season. His red card has resulted in losing his place to Fleck for me, but he's first in line as cover at both centre back and in midfield. As with O'Connel's illness, he's a player who will get plenty of chances this season and it's a sign of our strength that we have someone like him that we can rely on to step in and do everything he can for the team.

I've criticised him a lot in the past, but on some of the showings this season he'd walk into most teams in the division. If we can't find a place for him right now, that's because of how far we've come in a short space of time.

I've also thought about this. It is a possible area we might try to strengthen and both Craig Morgan and Byron Webster would be suitable to play in the middle of a back three, especially Morgan.

But depending on where we are in the league, we might set our sights a little higher. That goes for any other positions we might look to strengthen in. I don't think we'd sign a player who could only do a job in L1 if we're in the top two and looking good for promotion.

The only issue now is that we have three very good footballers in midfield and a well balanced and settled back three. Right wing back's a definite possibility for him with his exceptional fitness levels, and I also wonder if he could displace Wright in the back three, with EEL moving to the middle. There will be a place for him in midfield in a lot of games too - yesterday would've been ideal and Wilder will have taken note.

For me, our strongest line up has to have Basham in it. No one else has the combination of attributes he has, he's a bonus physically when not playing in defence, and he's a good enough footballer not to hinder us too much in possession. Also has a spot on attitude and can be relied on to give 100%, and that's important.

I do agree that Basham could displace Wright but (unless for the odd specific game for tactical reasons) we really don't want to disturb our current midfield. As we have both said, don't rule out further recruitment (in fact it's a near certainty) in all departments in January. Then what? Well, provided the team improves so be it, even if one of our favourites (Coutts in my case) loses out.

I agree to an extent but again you are squeezing him in somewhere because we've better players in the first team already

Ideal if we need to close a game down, for tricky away tie or to cover injuries but for most games he's a useful squad player imho

Strangely Wayne Jacobs on radio Leeds was saying just the same about how Bradford gifted us two goals whilst they played really well to create theirs.

It stands to reason that if teams are going to play on the front foot then there are going to be spaces at the back.

Both teams went for it yesterday so both left gaps and that's why there were 6 goals in the game.

If both teams had played more conservatively both defences may well have been magnificent and the score could well have been 0-0.

You cant have it all ways and I know which type of game I prefer.
Jacobs is a pig who hates Utd ,thinks hes a big time Charlie and isn't worth an opinion.

I was in the side stand and it seemed clear as crystal to me that Basham got the touch.

Either way, I don't really care who got it though.

Basham tries to poke it in with his right foot, but the ball hits his left (standing) foot and bounces in via the post. Comical air shot by Hanson as well:

When I started this thread I did point out that we need Jack O'Connell back in the team asap but no way would I drop Basham to change things. My choice would be to drop Lafferty bring Basham into midfield and move Duffy out wide, one poster says we now have three nice footballers in midfield well I don't disagree with that but I think at this level you need a physical strong mobile player in there to get amongst them. I think CW saw that we were getting overpowered in there and that's why he pulled off Coutts and pushed Basham in to stem the tide. Thank God Chris and me know what were doing.;)

When I started this thread I did point out that we need Jack O'Connell back in the team asap but no way would I drop Basham to change things. My choice would be to drop Lafferty bring Basham into midfield and move Duffy out wide, one poster says we now have three nice footballers in midfield well I don't disagree with that but I think at this level you need a physical strong mobile player in there to get amongst them. I think CW saw that we were getting overpowered in there and that's why he pulled off Coutts and pushed Basham in to stem the tide. Thank God Chris and me know what were doing.;)

If I follow you correctly, you are advocating we go to 4-4-2? No need to panic, we are 10 unbeaten with 3-5-2.

Back
Top Bottom