(Bad) Memries of Swindon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
Thurs. May 7th, 2015. First leg of the Play-off Semi at Bramall Lane and the referee - Darren Bond - put in a performance that made Darren England's last Tuesday v Walsall look honest. Refusing blatant handballs, penalties etc., Swindon took a 2-1 win into the second leg, which was...

Sunday March 10th, 2015. An incredible 5-5 draw saw United go out on aggregate 7-6 - the highest-scoring game in the history of the play-offs. A typical Clough effort where - having got us to the PO semis, a Clough team conspired to concede seven goals over two legs.

Not much else is memorable about Swindon - neither the games or the boring town. But special mention must go to:

December 4th, 1993. Swindon 0 Blades 0. Incredibly, this game was in the Premier League which saw both teams relegated 5 months later. It was also in the premier league of most futile, boring and pointless games I have ever witnessed.

Apart from that, my only other memrie is of the 'Magic Roundabout':

lifemagi1.jpg

and the fact that Swindon, like other M4 corridor towns like Reading and Maidenhead is an unremitting, crime-ridden shithole which regularly feature on programmes such as 'Police, Camera, Action'.

Any other interesting stuff about Swindon? 'Cos I'm struggling to think of any.

XTC, Billie Piper...................now I'm struggling.

In recent times, there was the 2-0 home win under Morgs after DW was sacked which gave us brief, but ultimately false, hope. Apart from that and the 2 play-off games you mention, there was another strange game a couple of years ago at their place, 3-0 down, dragged it back to 3-2 and finished 5-3.

May 2015 - Swindon's chav supporters invade the pitch after beating United, and try to invade both stands where United supporters were sat. Violence on the pitch and in the stands saw batons used against innocent Blades by the Wiltshire constabulary.

Horrible set of cunts whom I hope get relegated this season.

Swindon's gaffer after we beat 'em at their place last season said something along the lines of "...if you finish above Sheffield United you'll have a winner's medal around your neck'.

Sigh.

Not all bad though. We beat them 3-1 to go 3rd in the Premier League on the opening day of the 93-94 season. I think that was the day that the "new Deano" (Jostein Flo) was paraded on the pitch at half time.

Then there was the 2-0 win at home in January 15 when Murphy scored 2 and it looked like we had two very promising youngsters making their name in Louis Reed and Terry Kennedy.

Then there was the 2-0 win under Adkins where Billy Sharp discovered his blades goalscoring form.

This week in 1987-8 season: United's first Sunday fixture at the Lane. Just over 7,000 see us beat Swindon 1-0 with a goal from Richard Cadette.

First game of the season, 2nd PL season: a comfortable 3-1 win over Swindon in the sunshine

Mixed memories of our 2-0 win at Swindon, 27 years ago on Saturday.

Peter Duffield scored the first goal but snapped his leg in the impact with their keeper and really was never the same player after that. A good win in the end, with the collectors item of a Mark Morris goal in the second half to secure the points.

Everytime I think of Swindon I think of the chant "going down with the Swindon Town" . That's about it really

1. Media cunt and deep sea diving enthusiast Robert Maxwell planned to merge them with Reading and Oxford to create "Thames Valley Royals". A move so fucking dumb that even Pete Winkleman would wince.

2. Melinda Messenger was from Swindon. She had nice tits.

Otherwise it's a cunt-infested backwater of a shithole.

I know two lasses from Swindon and would bang both of them. I know a bloke from Swindon, wouldn't bang him. He walks with a limp, has an abnormally red face, and thinks he's Scottish. He now lives in Didcot.

1. Media cunt and deep sea diving enthusiast Robert Maxwell planned to merge them with Reading and Oxford to create "Thames Valley Royals". A move so fucking dumb that even Pete Winkleman would wince.

2. Melinda Messenger was from Swindon. She had nice tits.

Otherwise it's a cunt-infested backwater of a shithole.

I was born next to BDTBL and spent the first thirty years of my life in Sheffield. I then lived ten years in Reading and now I live in rural Wiltshire 20 mins from Swindon. I will be at the game on Saturday as usual. I find your sweeping statement above very sad and rather silly. So often when I have watched United at away games I have been ashamed of the behaviour of our supporters and had to listen to their non stop abusive language. When I walk to our ground I don't think it is any different to the terraced housing around Swindon, so to discribe it as you have brings me to think of this quote, "People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones". It is nearly Christmas, chill out and try to be nice to other people. It will make you feel happier I am sure. UTB

I was born next to BDTBL and spent the first thirty years of my life in Sheffield. I then lived ten years in Reading and now I live in rural Wiltshire 20 mins from Swindon. I will be at the game on Saturday as usual. I find your sweeping statement above very sad and rather silly. So often when I have watched United at away games I have been ashamed of the behaviour of our supporters and had to listen to their non stop abusive language. When I walk to our ground I don't think it is any different to the terraced housing around Swindon, so to discribe it as you have brings me to think of this quote, "People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones". It is nearly Christmas, chill out and try to be nice to other people. It will make you feel happier I am sure. UTB

Don't waste tears over someones view of the Moonrakers.

After all, it's Christmas.

Have to agree with Tyler Durden. If you expect me to suck off every Wurzel with a tractor, it aint gonna happen.

"Shoreham Boys,
We are here..."

Not all bad though. We beat them 3-1 to go 3rd in the Premier League on the opening day of the 93-94 season. I think that was the day that the "new Deano" (Jostein Flo) was paraded on the pitch at half time.

I remember that. Didn't Falconer score within minutes of his debut? Think Scott and maybe Whitehouse possibly got the others. There's was a cheeky free-kick from John Moncur as we were still to sort out the wall...

I remember that. Didn't Falconer score within minutes of his debut? Think Scott and maybe Whitehouse possibly got the others. There's was a cheeky free-kick from John Moncur as we were still to sort out the wall...

Falconer, Rodgers and Bradshaw. Fjortoft made his English debut for them and missed a sitter

Falconer, Rodgers and Bradshaw. Fjortoft made his English debut for them and missed a sitter

For a moment I'd completely forgotten about Paul Rogers. His name very rarely gets mentioned on here either positively or negatively. That era's Bobby Ford?

Everytime I think of Swindon I think of the chant "going down with the Swindon Town" . That's about it really

Remember this being sung at Oldham at the end of the 1994 season. That certainly came back and bit us on the arse.

My recollection of Swindon is February 1970. We were second in the table (old second division) and we lost 2-1 at BDTBL. John Harris was presented with the poison chalice - Manager of the Month award before the game.

A night match, Len Badger scoring a rare goal. They were the better team inspired by Don Rogers. Had a feeling afterwards that for the second successive season promotion wasn't going to happen.

I remember going to their place in 1994 the day after Boxing Day. We played two games back to back over Xmas and beat them 3-1. Steve McMahon was their manager.Jan Age Fjortoft scored for them, think McMahon was player manager.

I remember going to their place in 1994 the day after Boxing Day. We played two games back to back over Xmas and beat them 3-1. Steve McMahon was their manager.Jan Age Fjortoft scored for them, think McMahon was player manager.

Really? I thought we drew at their place that season? Seem to remember 0-0.

For a moment I'd completely forgotten about Paul Rogers. His name very rarely gets mentioned on here either positively or negatively. That era's Bobby Ford?

Unfair on Rogers. He did useful things like score goals and create them, and he had a good engine. Check out the number of good things he does on the 1992-3 season video, which I think Walthy has posted.

He was also one of our better players in 1994-5.

From non league straight to top division. Different times.

I don't recall too much about him but I was only young at the time. I know we brought him in from Sutton and I'm pretty sure his 2nd ever game was against Wednesday in the 3-1 win at their place

1-1- draw with them about 15 years ago. Iffy Onoura scored for them and Frank Talia was in their net. Onoura also hit the bar from about 40 yards out. We were behind their non-always-fucking-empty-goal-end. Their fans singing 'Aye-aye, Iffy-Iffy, Aye' when he scored, our fans singing the same back at them when we'd equalised. They weren't pleased with that. I think Reg scored for us, really late on.

Think we won at the other match I went to at the Cunty Ground. We were sat high up in the stand opposite their idiots in the opposite stand.

Dismal Wiltshire shithole full of joke fans and low-end scratters.

pommpey

Really? I thought we drew at their place that season? Seem to remember 0-0.

The 0-0 game was in the Premiership the season before I think. I always remember getting the paper on the Sunday to read the match report as a kid and was greeted by the journalist saying it was the worst game of football he had seen all season. Think they had one shot and we didnt have any

Back
Top Bottom