Are we leaving it a bit late for signings?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

brownie4583

1 Chrissy Wilder
Reaction score
Are we leaving it a bit late for new signings?
It's only a month or so to the start of the new season and we have yet to sign anyone.
A lot of players that have been released have been snapped up and soon clubs will not want to sell any players or if they do it will be for ridiculous fees.
Also,any new players will only have limited time to gel within the squad now.
Is anyone getting a bit worried?

I think it's better to sign players as soon as possible so they have more time to get fit and gel.
I know it's more difficult with a new manager as he has to assess the present squad but he must have known the areas we need to improve,CB,Strikers etc.
IMO we need to move on and replace at least 4 or 5 players to seriously challenge for promotion this season!

I'm not too worried yet. If by the end of next week we have no-one then I'll be worried but we are only just over a week into training so I'm not nervous yet. We only need a few new signings I think so I am not too worried right now. If the entire squad needed an overhaul and we'd brought nobody in by now I'd be shitting it but I think only a few additions are necessary.

NO...NO...NO......................You all sound like Corporal Jones!!!!
Leave it to the Management ....... They are much better qualified and experienced than you lot !
Brownie number, number, number , number and Barmy Blade Chill Out All will be well
Stop panicking and leave it to the people that matter !

Beat me to it

Dont panic dont panic

There will be players that have been approached as JP alluded to on FB the other day

NO...NO...NO......................You all sound like Corporal Jones!!!!
Leave it to the Management ....... They are much better qualified and experienced than you lot !
Brownie number, number, number , number and Barmy Blade Chill Out All will be well
Stop panicking and leave it to the people that matter !
I'd prefer to call it passion rather than panic to be fair Fairy Blade. < Made me laugh slightly, must admit.

No, I do take your point though.

I'm not too worried yet. If by the end of next week we have no-one then I'll be worried but we are only just over a week into training so I'm not nervous yet. We only need a few new signings I think so I am not too worried right now. If the entire squad needed an overhaul and we'd brought nobody in by now I'd be shitting it but I think only a few additions are necessary.

With the large squad that we have accumulated, it is perhaps more of a concern that there is little interest from other clubs to sign players we deem surplus to requirements.

It's only a month or so to the start of the new season and we have yet to sign anyone.
A lot of players that have been released have been snapped up and soon clubs will not want to sell any players or if they do it will be for ridiculous fees.

Only worry I've got is Kennedy. With him not yet training we now need three c/h's.

Even before the new scout signed I'd have thought Adkins would have been on the phone to him enquiring which c/h's were top of his list, who he would suggest as a mate?.

We've no defence at the moment.

I'm not worried personally, Adkins is giving his squad some time to prove themselves in preseason before he dips into the transfer market. I do expect some center back signings too come soon, as that was our clear weakness in the squad last season.

Act in haste , repent in leisure . Adkins and his team will have had the right players on the radar for some time . We will bring in quality not quantity . IMO all the signings made to date by other league 1 clubs , would either not be good enough or fit into the system we will be playing .

Everyone associated with the club , all way down to the tea lady ,knows what is required , so it will be in hand . I am glad we are not signing any Joe Bloggs , just to make the already inflated squad numbers up , or to appease fans. At least thought , care , and attention will be the order of the day.

UTB

No.

We need 2 or 3 quality players, not a squad re-build like last season. At the moment, I'm only seeing journeymen, free agents and £30M + players making moves. I expect we'll see something in the next week to 10 days.

NA said yesterday his assessing of the squad is almost complete. Enquiries about players will have been made as soon as he was appointed I should imagine. Sure I'm the coming weeks we will see the 4-6 players we need arriving

Quality not quantity. He is assessing the squad and seeing what needs doing first. Let's spend the entire budget on players we don't need then we can play fullbacks at centre half. After all it worked a treat last season

Dont panic, we have a brand new management team in place.

I can assure you with their experience we will be hearing a whole load of new excuses ................................ :p

Agree with Lord Bos of Eckington. Act in haste repent in leisure!

Think outside the box, Europe, Africa, Holland not Derby, Blackpool and Scotland. Build and they will come.

I am sure NA has it all in hand - no panic from me, think we will see permanent additions in the next few weeks with possibly some quality loans as well. Met NA a few times a couple of years ago when he was with Southampton in the lower leagues, very astute man.

If we'd not sacked Clough we'd have probably made those signings by now and they'd be gelling away nicely. I'm not saying it was the wrong decision, but the lack of signings is a consequence of that...

I disagree because last year, pre season . We signed too many who were not up to it, despite CLough' assurance that a small squad was required. I have to say that in a way he did what he said he would.
Most of them were bloody small.

Perhaps we have a manager who just goes about his business and doesn't tell everyone his every move. People really do read too much into every move made or not made.

Keep calm and trust the man in charge.

If you listened to NA he said that conversations had been held and players/agents were positioning themselves (i.e. negotiating to maximise their terms). Therefore I fully expect targets to arrive in the next couple of weeks. I expect that we'll be up against Champ clubs for most of these

Of course it is reassuring for them to arrive ASAP but I'd much rather get the right players in even if it takes a bit longer.

The only danger I see is the risk of a repeat of last season when NC held out too long for COG - with NA doing the same with Sharp.

With the large squad that we have accumulated, it is perhaps more of a concern that there is little interest from other clubs to sign players we deem surplus to requirements.

There are 20 players listed with Player Profiles on the club website and 3 of those will not be available at the start of the season. Those on contract but not listed are below and some are development players:

Long, Willis.

Collins, McGahey, Ryce,

Calvert-Lewin, Dimaio, Khan, McDonagh, Whiteman, K.Wallace.

The 2 keepers make it 22 less 3 not available. The above 3 senior players make it 25 and are not listed and presumably are not wanted, but they are training and may well still be with us in a month's time.

That's a working squad in numbers but we know we are desperately short in key positions and the unavailablity of key players is serious in the short term.

I hope he's assessing the squad and trying to make whatever budget he has make the biggest impact possible (in terms of bringing players in), I suppose on the positive side he hasn't rushed out and replaced half decent players with players no-better who he knows/is loyal too (which happens too often in football!). I'd be happy with an immediate signing or two though.

If we'd not sacked Clough we'd have probably made those signings by now and they'd be gelling away nicely. I'm not saying it was the wrong decision, but the lack of signings is a consequence of that...

Agree with that, this year would have been Cloughs.

That said I think we now have a better manager, long time since SUFC have managed to replace like that.

Only worry I've got is Kennedy. With him not yet training we now need three c/h's.

Even before the new scout signed I'd have thought Adkins would have been on the phone to him enquiring which c/h's were top of his list, who he would suggest as a mate?.

We've no defence at the moment.

Collins could be backup - but we do need a couple.
In terms of no defence, our fullbacks need experienced players as they seem vulnerable in terms of positioning etc. 2 experienced heads would hopefully calm all our nerves down a bit.

Can you just imagine if they come from Scotland/Derby or Blackpool..........this site would go into meltdown!

UTB

Barry Oddnob is packing his bag as we speak. Him, Chris O'Ris and Steve Teats will be arriving on Friday morning.

Mark my words. Adkins has been watching Teats for some weeks.

pommpey

I am sure NA has it all in hand - no panic from me, think we will see permanent additions in the next few weeks with possibly some quality loans as well. Met NA a few times a couple of years ago when he was with Southampton in the lower leagues, very astute man.

Same here, and I think NA will be able to draw in better players than NC as he has the proven track record as a manager. Also transfer window doesn't close till 1st September, which seems bonkers, and a lot of the action is in the last few days.

Back
Top Bottom