Are there any teams

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

PeteBlade

Reaction score
In the league that you'd fear playing at the moment?

There always seems to have been a team running away at the top like a Charlton or a Huddersfield that were running away with it and you really wouldn't want to face, especially at their ground.

But I went into yesterday's game really confident of getting something and there isn't a single team in this league that I'd be worried about us playing.

I remember us getting a 0-0 at Burton and people being delighted but this season feels different and we're going out to win ever game.

Non of this 'we started the game with a point and we try to protect that point' bollocks.

There's certainly beginning to be a different feel about this season.

Our point against Scunny was so valuable. 10 men to boot, extraordinary stuff. Keep in touch with them for now, they'll falter soon. Josh Morris can't keep that form up much longer.

There always seems to have been a team running away at the top like a Charlton or a Huddersfield that were running away with it and you really wouldn't want to face, especially at their ground.

But I went into yesterday's game really confident of getting something and there isn't a single team in this league that I'd be worried about us playing.

I remember us getting a 0-0 at Burton and people being delighted but this season feels different and we're going out to win ever game.

Non of this 'we started the game with a point and we try to protect that point' bollocks.

A month ago someone told me that they thought we would be unbeaten until Christmas (think it was LS26BLADE ) I thought there would be a defeat along the way, and I thought this would be the toughest fixture on paper, we have come away with a draw, and I think we have an outstanding chance of being unbeaten well in to the new year.

We had the same discussion on the way up ,maybe Peterboro or Charlton could come good ,but Bradford and Utd should fight it out with Bolton for this league in my opinion.

We had the same discussion on the way up ,maybe Peterboro or Charlton could come good ,but Bradford and Utd should fight it out with Bolton for this league in my opinion.

Yes I agree, I've not felt so confident that we'll be mounting a serious challenge for the top 2 since Wilson'a first season

Short answer, no. Bring em on, whoever they are.

I have been saying it for a few weeks now.
There is no one to fear in this league.
We have played most of the teams in the top half of the Division.
We have also played most of the top 6 sides away from home as well.

I don't think we'll fear anyone. Before the Vale game I was apprehensive as they were billed as a good footballing side with all those foreign imports but we just blew them away.

Really hope we can beat MK Plastics as they are on a dreadful run and we owe them after they beat us 1-0 at the Lane in 2014 in the most dirty and cynical performance I've seen from a visiting side. That dirty f*cker, Baker, no longer plays for them though. Remember he nearly broke Harris' leg that night with a f*cking awful challenge.

Our point against Scunny was so valuable. 10 men to boot, extraordinary stuff. Keep in touch with them for now, they'll falter soon. Josh Morris can't keep that form up much longer.

I think Scunthorpe may well last the pace and challenge for the top two. They won't win the League though. The season is still very young and the league positions, whilst accurate, are also illusory. There is, however, a team that's beginning to look a cut above the rest....

No. Nothing to fear at al whilst we have the positive, play on the front foot mindset we have now.

There's a few tweaks to be made - whilst Freeman was exposed for all three yesterday he didn't have much help and Billy Knott was free to control play down that side - but by and large we're the best team in this Division this year.

There isn't one team I fear in this league, and that includes from before the season started. I think we have the better players in the league and when you work harder than the opposition with better players, you mostly win.

Our next 10 games include 7 home games and the 3 away are Chessie Charlton and Cov

The only current top 6 side we play in those 10 is Bury.

No. Nothing to fear at al whilst we have the positive, play on the front foot mindset we have now.

There's a few tweaks to be made - whilst Freeman was exposed for all three yesterday he didn't have much help and Billy Knott was free to control play down that side - but by and large we're the best team in this Division this year.

Not only that, we are the team most likely to improve as the season goes on. The players are only just getting to grips with Tuftyball and we will be enhancing the squad in January.

The test for Scunny will be come winter when injuries and suspensions hit. Do they have the strength in depth? Morris is on fire at the moment but will it last? They will stay up there but I've a feeling it will be top 6 rather than top 2 for them

The only team we need to fear are the team of number crunchers in the boardroom come January time
While we will all be thinking "bring two or three in and up we go " they will be thinking "we're playing well must be someone to cash in on "

We've arguably got our hardest games of the season out of the way...

In that we've played Scunny / Bradford and Bolton all away from home and only been beaten by Bolton (which we can put down to our shoddy start to the season.)

Our recent run has been against decent sides too (or at least sides currently in decent form.)

In the last 8 games we are undefeated against the sides currently (1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th and 10th.) And only Shrewsbury (24th) have been below Fleetwood in 13th in the table in those games.

Hopefully we don't take the foot off the gas when it comes to some of the sides lower down the table.

Not only that, we are the team most likely to improve as the season goes on. *The players are only just getting to grips with Tuftyball and we will be decimating the squad in January when we accept offers for Fleck,Coutts,O`Connell,Duffy and Billy.

*This correction brought to you by the Kevin McCabe Reality Check Club.

The only team we need to fear are the team of number crunchers in the boardroom come January time
While we will all be thinking "bring two or three in and up we go " they will be thinking "we're playing well must be someone to cash in on "

Unforunately, this could be spot on. The only chinks of light are that a) they made enough from DCL and Adams this summer so wouldn't be as tempted to sell anyone in January and b) Bradford might sate their appetites by offering a fee for Sparky.

Otherwise it will be the old faithful ' well when a player wants to leave....'

We should never be worried about any L1 team but the way we have been mismanaged over the past 4 seasons we have understandably become wary of playing virtually anyone.

Wilder and the players have dispelled this in a matter of weeks, we have our belief back.

And just perhaps, what will make a significant difference come February onwards will be our sometimes maligned pitch. Maybe the quality underfoot will allow the likes of Coutts, Duffy, and Fleck to play to their strengths, and that could be the difference that helps with our consistency.

As i alluded to in the Karl Robinson thread, I think in previous seasons, we'd have feared teams, particularly if they had just sacked a manager, but our style of play, commitment and desire has really changed United as a team.

We certainly shouldn't fear anyone in this division: Bradford City, Bolton, Charlton, MK Dons etc will all pose a threat, but i think in this recent run we have faced a few tests in the obvious ones like Scunthorpe and Bradford, but the big difference is not the ones we should fear, like those mentioned, its the ones that we shouldn't fear.

I think the big difference is our ability to remain professional at all times. Under Clough, we didn't struggle in the cups against big sides, some games in the league we also stepped it up, but it was the win-able games where we failed. Under Adkins we failed in all games.

Last week was a big week and perhaps in 7 days we have found out about "Wilder's United" in this time - Bradford being a tough test against a big side, after a busy week and two potentially difficult games against sides that, without being disrespectful, we should be strong enough to beat. We came through Port Vale and Shrewsbury convincingly AND by playing decent football.

It shows that we don't need to fear anyone, but show them respect, regardless of league position, form, managerial status, whatever. Put that commitment in along with the quality and at the very worst, Wilder's United will be respected by our own fans for leaving everything on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom