Anyone would think...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Blade for Sale

Reaction score
...that we weren't on the back of a 4 match unbeaten run including away wins and draws against 2 of our promotion rivals and an away win against a Premier League side (and our nemesis into the bargain)!

The current squad is top 4 material. A couple of quality loans and it will be top 2. A couple of signings in Jan and we'll be champions.

We have the best midfield and goalkeeper in the league, and a solid defence. Yeh we're a bit short upfront, see comment on loans.

We'll be reet.

...that we weren't on the back of a 4 match unbeaten run including away wins and draws against 2 of our promotion rivals and an away win against a Premier League side (and our nemesis into the bargain)!

The current squad is top 4 material. A couple of quality loans and it will be top 2. A couple of signings in Jan and we'll be champions.

We have the best midfield and goalkeeper in the league, and a solid defence. Yeh we're a bit short upfront, see comment on loans.

We'll be reet.

Stop being optimistic we are in a day of mourning, our club officially died yesterday do you not realise that.

We'll be reet.

Small sample size but we project to score 46 goals this season. That is not a bit short. That's 30 goals short.

And if it's only a matter of a couple of signings, why the hell weren't they made as part of the 11 or so we brought in at the start of the season?

This is exactly how this present format system gets the fans at each others throats

I was watching Sky last night and it was just making me poorly listening to the pundits.

Couldnt just for once get back to the transfer system how it was.

Small sample size but we project to score 46 goals this season. That is not a bit short. That's 30 goals short.

And if it's only a matter of a couple of signings, why the hell weren't they made as part of the 11 or so we brought in at the start of the season?

see comment about a couple of loans. And as for why they weren't brought in sooner, presumably we tried and failed. You don't believe that the players we were after yesterday only came on the radar n the last 48 hours do you? One of the unfortunatel side effects of the transfer window is brinsmanship, forcing prices up and panic buying. I'm glad we didn't get sucked into it to be honest.

Conducting the bulks of one's business early doors and then relying on the more flexible loan market to fine-tune is by far the most sensible way of managing the madness that is the transfer window. Hats off to all at SUFC I say.

And yes, the sample size projecting 46 goals is far too small. You may as well say Jose Baxter will score more than 40 this season based on his current form.

see comment about a couple of loans. And as for why they weren't brought in sooner, presumably we tried and failed. You don't believe that the players we were after yesterday only came on the radar n the last 48 hours do you? One of the unfortunatel side effects of the transfer window is brinsmanship, forcing prices up and panic buying. I'm glad we didn't get sucked into it to be honest.

Conducting the bulks of one's business early doors and then relying on the more flexible loan market to fine-tune is by far the most sensible way of managing the madness that is the transfer window. Hats off to all at SUFC I say.

And yes, the sample size projecting 46 goals is far too small. You may as well say Jose Baxter will score more than 40 this season based on his current form.

Saying it will be fixed with a couple of loans is basically crossing your fingers and hoping that will be the case - and for what it's worth, I hope the same.

And whilst I don't agree with buying for buying's sake (see, for example, the re-signing of Chris Porter, and the signing of another keeper) I don't think we should be giving the club credit for having 3 targets yesterday and landing..none of them. That sounds to me like we failed to achieve what we wanted.

And good point re Baxter. But answer me this: how many goals do you think this team is capable of scoring this season? To me, 60 is the ceiling without decent recruitment, and that ain't enough.

Last season we scored 48 so It's not a far fetched projection.

The only reason we didnt bring anyone in is budgetary constraints we are in the bargain bucket as far as transfer deals go

I really hope we can bring in a couple of loans who can inspire the side like coady/brayford last year

Weir brought coady in and im not sutmre there are anymore ex derby /burton /scottish lg2 players who fit the bill

Saying it will be fixed with a couple of loans is basically crossing your fingers and hoping that will be the case - and for what it's worth, I hope the same.

And good point re Baxter. But answer me this: how many goals do you think this team is capable of scoring this season? To me, 60 is the ceiling without decent recruitment, and that ain't enough.

Yes I am hoping it will be the case, but it's not just blind hope and optimism. I am confident we have a manager who knows how to use the loan market to our advantage based on his record last year.

I think 60-65 goals is about right with the current squad. And I agree this ultimately won't be enough to secure automatic promotion. However I do believe the squad and 1st team are going to be improved with attacking players on loan, and then re-inforced in the January window.

I also think we will have one of, if not the, best defensive records in the league. As my old PE teacher used to say. Anyne can win a cup. A good defence wins you the league.

And whilst I don't agree with buying for buying's sake (see, for example, the re-signing of Chris Porter, and the signing of another keeper) I don't think we should be giving the club credit for having 3 targets yesterday and landing..none of them. That sounds to me like we failed to achieve what we wanted.

The striker is the main one but we also shouldn't kid ourselves that bringing a 'marquee' striker in would solve the problem in one hit. We need Murphy, Flynn / JCR, defenders all chipping in with 5 or 6 and Davies aside, that's not looking like happening at the moment. Early days of course but a lot of it is linked to the team gelling which seems to be getting better.

As has been said, we went up in '06 with our top scorer only just making double figures but the whole team had goals in it.

The only reason we didnt bring anyone in is budgetary constraints we are in the bargain bucket as far as transfer deals go

I really hope we can bring in a couple of loans who can inspire the side like coady/brayford last year

Weir brought coady in and im not sutmre there are anymore ex derby /burton /scottish lg2 players who fit the bill

There are loads of them pal, problem is they have to "get match fit" or "settle in".

It's the excuses from the clappers that are killing me this morning.

We are desperate for goals, watching the match from Saturday on the BladesPlayer we were creating chances that a decent striker would have buried. I can recall Higdon wasting 3 chances, 2 of them absolute sitters.

Technique has sod all to do with fitness and our lad Mickey H has zero of either.

Yes I am hoping it will be the case, but it's not just blind hope and optimism. I am confident we have a manager who knows how to use the loan market to our advantage based on his record last year.

I think 60-65 goals is about right with the current squad. And I agree this ultimately won't be enough to secure automatic promotion. However I do believe the squad and 1st team are going to be improved with attacking players on loan, and then re-inforced in the January window.

I also think we will have one of, if not the, best defensive records in the league. As my old PE teacher used to say. Anyne can win a cup. A good defence wins you the league.

He does know about the loan market, I agree. His bizarre selections against Coventry and Bristol C have unnerved me though. Hopefully he's learned those lessons.

I agree with your last point, but we won't have a defence that concedes less than a goal a game this year, as there's no Brayford and no Maguire, sadly. My guess is concede low 50's, score high 50's, no promotion.

My guess is concede low 50's, score high 50's, no promotion.

Exactly! But lets just not score many goals till Christmas and see where it takes us; if our defence keep giving away cheap goals, it will take us to mid table.

Agree with your sentiments,but ask yourself this.When Jim Phipps sent that tweet out at just before 9.30 last night i think it was,he basically was saying were not getting the players we wanted and given up,yet there were other clubs still doing their buisness up until 1am? It didn't seem to me that we had put a lot of effort to get our targets,i may be wrong,thats just how it felt.

Anyone who thinks fitness doesn't affect your touch has never played competitive football.

I've played some competitive football, regardless of how unfit I was, I could still control the football more often than not. I'm sorry but Higdon's performances cannot be blamed solely on lack of fitness. I don't buy it.

Agree with your sentiments,but ask yourself this.When Jim Phipps sent that tweet out at just before 9.30 last night i think it was,he basically was saying were not getting the players we wanted and given up,yet there were other clubs still doing their buisness up until 1am? It didn't seem to me that we had put a lot of effort to get our targets,i may be wrong,thats just how it felt.

It's just what I wanted to see. We have bid what we deem to be acceptable amounts for the players in question. Those bids have not been accepted, and we will not be drawn into a game of brinksmanship or pay over the odds. Rather, we will conduct our business in a different marketplace (the loan option) which is not subject to the quite ridiculous restraints to trade (and subsequent inflated prices) imposed by the transfer window. If more clubs did their business this way, we might actually see some semblance of common sense return to the game, along with lower transfer fees, lower wages, lower agents fees and, eventually, lower ticket prices.

We'll get someone on loan who's not included in a premier league final 25 man (is it 25? Can't be arsed to check) squad.
The PL team pays most of their wages, their player gets game time he wouldn't have and (hopefully) he fires in a shed load of goals.
Oh and we may sign some striker who's been 'away' for a bit too when comes 'back'.
(I'll go back to my happy thoughts now, bye)

It's just what I wanted to see. We have bid what we deem to be acceptable amounts for the players in question. Those bids have not been accepted, and we will not be drawn into a game of brinksmanship or pay over the odds. Rather, we will conduct our business in a different marketplace (the loan option) which is not subject to the quite ridiculous restraints to trade (and subsequent inflated prices) imposed by the transfer window. If more clubs did their business this way, we might actually see some semblance of common sense return to the game, along with lower transfer fees, lower wages, lower agents fees and, eventually, lower ticket prices.
Good post.I can't ever see us getting to lower ticket prices,or i can't see any of the other thing happening either,not that i don't want it too,its just the world we live in now,the footballing world has gone barbaric.

Last edited:

I agree, but you can flip this and replace loans with permanent signings, it's all a gamble really.

Personally I'd like us to do whatr's in vogue at the moment, get some quality loans in with an option to buy at the end of it. If they work out great, if not we've not gambled too much more than probably paying their wages. Deadline day just inflates prices, Danny fucking Wellbeck £16m :eek:

Whether we get the loans or not remains to be seen. I'm hoping, maybe naively, that some/all of the players we bid for may now come on loan.

I agree, but you can flip this and replace loans with permanent signings, it's all a gamble really.

Personally I'd like us to do whatr's in vogue at the moment, get some quality loans in with an option to buy at the end of it. If they work out great, if not we've not gambled too much more than probably paying their wages. Deadline day just inflates prices, Danny fucking Wellbeck £16m :eek:

Whether we get the loans or not remains to be seen. I'm hoping, maybe naively, that some/all of the players we bid for may now come on loan.

I'll raise your Welbeck with Shane Long for £12m!

Anyone who thinks fitness doesn't affect your touch has never played competitive football.

I've played football with a fair few big porkers who still had the touch and close control of Ronaldo.

If your profession is professional football player and you play it 20 hours a week, you should be able to control a ball no matter whether you're fit or not.

I've played some competitive football, regardless of how unfit I was, I could still control the football more often than not. I'm sorry but Higdon's performances cannot be blamed solely on lack of fitness. I don't buy it.

You don't score the number of goals he has in professional football, including 14 in the Eredivisie, if you are crap. Sitwell is right, its about fitness with him at the moment.

Last season we scored 48 so It's not a far fetched projection.

I have to agree. I seem to recall we were the 4th lowest scorers in the division last season (joint with Crawley). At the moment the attack, despite the summer additions, seems short (we cannot expect Baxter to get 20 this season good though he is) and the 60 goals this season mentioned seems very optimistic to me. Other than Baxter it is hard at the moment to see where the goals are going to come from. A fit Higdon possibly, but at the moment he isn't by all accounts.

I don't like the transfer window system as it stands and neither does NC from what I read in a recent interview in the Star.It does seem to get the fans in a frenzy and at each others throats (needlessly really as we can do sweet F.A. about it) and it encourages the stockpiling of players "just in case".I much prefer the old system - especially when you are dealing with the wage bill financial restrictions.

I really hope that we can do something about our goalscoring output through loans because good as young Harrison and Alcock are we are don't seem as solid a defensive unit as last season and we are likely to ship one or two more than last season. Howard has been awesome by all accounts to keep the goal tally down.

I think the loans could well be make or break for us this season ( in terms of 7th or below or promotion contenders). For the life of me I cannot understand the resigning of Porter - unless he dropped his wages to a Mars bar and a packet of crisps. He just doesn't seem to feature - not that I am complaining on that one but why re-sign him ( cover ???).On the positive side we are much better off than we were with Weir and I don't see us going down :)

I fall in the not surprised category here. How many transfer windows have we now been through where we have been underwhelmed? In fact at any point while McCabe has been anywhere near the club I can only remember the Robson era where he became mad uncle Kev and gave the worst manager in our history the keys in a fit of utter lunacy. I wonder if he is so scarred by this that he cannot let anyone spend any money ever again. Seriously!

However, Clough did most of his business early and while many other clubs will have several games of bedding players in I feel our team while not spectacular will develop further. There are some good players in that squad, I don't join the wankathon over Baxter just yet but as Raul said to me just after he scored his wonder goal the other week (following an abject 1st half showing) he does have something. The back 4 isn't shipping goals and this is good. We have an abundance of midfielders/attacking midfielders and JCR down the wing is almost first name on the team sheet for me. Better a pacy winger getting chalk on his boots trying to beat a man than someone there just to stop the opposition attacking.

Up front is the obvious concern. I don't think Porter is anything more than bench fodder if we want to succeed (neither does Clough by the look of it) and Higdon has yet to impress (although there is time yet).

The lack of a pacy striker always concerns me. Someone to run at the centre halves and break the line of the back unsettles the defenders, frees space for a Higdon type player to score the goals in the box etc. Hopefully this will be rectified in the Loan window.

I loathe the transfer window. It turns normally sane fans into frothing maniacs who believe everything should be completed by 1st September or the world will implode and puts power into the hands of players and agents who can up the ante on their property and tout it around like a pimp to a whore. To an extent I applaud Clough and the club for not wanting their legs lifted but I'm afraid that if you don't join the line to get shagged up the arse by agents etc you invariably get left behind. I can't tell you if this is whats happened but if you go through the years our lack of bravery in the transfer windows has possibly been one of the reasons we are where we are.

Back
Top Bottom