Anyone like Basham yet?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

joshua thompson

Reaction score
Since Basham came in, I have always like him. I think he gets stuck in and commits 110% to every game, he is a real key asset to our first 11 and club.

I do know however, others do not see him as key or even great, and as I have stated before, yes he isnt the best on the ball but he is our only holding midfielder really who can play week in week out, other than Whiteman maybe.

So here it is for you people who think the worst of Basham.

Last night was a clear indication that without him in the side, the midfield is clearly weaker. Bristols NO.34 for one ran the show until he got took off, best player on pitch in my opinion. And then midfield play, I dont feel we really dominated the midfield or possession until they went down to 10 and we played around with them and for sure did not see anyone committing into tackles but the defence an attackers.

Coutts- seems scared or does not want to tackle/ get stuck in 90% of the time. Lacks defensivley and in a case of putting in a hard tackle. Maybe because of this severe injury this is the case.

Fleck- put in a few good challenges, but too weak and small.

Scougall- as for same above with fleck but not really any challenges at all, gets shoved off the ball.

So here it is. He is one of our most key players this season, and although we won 1-0 we did not really dominate the game for me and Bristol had many chances which if we had that holding midfielder could be a different situation, we lacked that man in midfield last night to get stuck in and be aggressive, that is because we did not have Basham!

I like him yes, doesn't mean I particularly rate him, would much prefer someone like Boateng who played for them doing his role, Bash has as much of a footballing brain as a 5 year old child, shits himself whenever it comes to actually doing something with the ball

I like him yes, doesn't mean I particularly rate him, would much prefer someone like Boateng who played for them doing his role, Bash has as much of a footballing brain as a 5 year old child, shits himself whenever it comes to actually doing something with the ball

That Boateng last night was a different class will give that, he ran the show. But we had no-one in our midfield to give some back to him, that was clear with Basham not in the side. For me he is key, I do not think people realise how important he is to our side, and I feel that was proved last night personally.

We missed the extra height and strength he brings to the side. Would've allowed Coutts and Fleck to play a bit more adventurously too. His last few performances have been much closer to the standard we need but if he doesn't maintain this through to the next transfer window I'd still be looking to upgrade.

Since Basham came in, I have always like him. I think he gets stuck in and commits 110% to every game, he is a real key asset to our first 11 and club.

I do know however, others do not see him as key or even great, and as I have stated before, yes he isnt the best on the ball but he is our only holding midfielder really who can play week in week out, other than Whiteman maybe.

So here it is for you people who think the worst of Basham.

Last night was a clear indication that without him in the side, the midfield is clearly weaker. Bristols NO.34 for one ran the show until he got took off, best player on pitch in my opinion. And then midfield play, I dont feel we really dominated the midfield or possession until they went down to 10 and we played around with them and for sure did not see anyone committing into tackles but the defence an attackers.

Coutts- seems scared or does not want to tackle/ get stuck in 90% of the time. Lacks defensivley and in a case of putting in a hard tackle. Maybe because of this severe injury this is the case.

Fleck- put in a few good challenges, but too weak and small.

Scougall- as for same above with fleck but not really any challenges at all, gets shoved off the ball.

So here it is. He is one of our most key players this season, and although we won 1-0 we did not really dominate the game for me and Bristol had many chances which if we had that holding midfielder could be a different situation, we lacked that man in midfield last night to get stuck in and be aggressive, that is because we did not have Basham!
Chris '2nd touch a tackle ' Basham you mean ? :)

That Boateng last night was a different class will give that, he ran the show. But we had no-one in our midfield to give some back to him, that was clear with Basham not in the side. For me he is key, I do not think people realise how important he is to our side, and I feel that was proved last night personally.
I agree, think he's important to our team, but still see him as the weak link and needs an improvement, much as Doyle did when we rightly got rid of him, we just didn't replace him!

Always liked him and his attitude is top notch. Shows flashes of being a very good footballer but all too infrequent. At the end of the day his real assetts are his energy and drive.

If we ever get out of this league we will need better quality in the first 11 but as a squad/utility player he could still add value.

I've always quite liked Basham despite his limitations. We missed him last night. We missed Jake Wright too. If we'd been able to play 352 and have Coutts, Fleck and Duffy all central, we might have coped better without Basham. But in a 442, we really could have done with his energy in there.

I thought we missed bash a lot tonight. For all his limitations he does get forward - which I think we missed on occasion as Coutts and Fleck both sat deep. Bash gets up and down.

I also think our performance suffered by moving back to 4 at the back over the 3. I know Wilder said he chose to do that to try and nullify their system but I do think it suits our style more

Chris '2nd touch a tackle ' Basham you mean ? :)

Or as we now know him: Chris '2nd touch a sending off' Basham.

Oh and yeah, I do rate him - he's a good squad player and he gives his all each week.

Can't fault the guy's effort ......but
In a promotion winning side you need more than he offers.
Bob Booker as an example - he aint one of those.
He should be much more effective at attacking set pieces and should win battles with the opposition bruiser in midfiled more often than he does.
He needs to boss more than 1 in 6 games for me
He's not bad - but he aint that good, either IMO

Whether you like him or not at this moment in time he is the best we've got and he is missed. OK I know there are better players out there, there are better players out there for every position in the team, but some people seem to forget that that's were they are,
out there and not here...

No, not me I'm afraid. I'm a similar height and build and did think about getting some work done to improve the similarity, but decided against it in the end.

I'd have Basham over that Boeteng geezer.
I have to disagree about Boateng being different class. We was shit scared of him for the first 20 min. We grew our bolloxes and dealt with him making him look average. If he ran the show then why was he subbed off?

I agree that had Basham been playing he would have had Boateng in his pocket from the off. We actually did miss Bash last night but to be fair Bash has been playing well.

We missed the extra height and strength he brings to the side. Would've allowed Coutts and Fleck to play a bit more adventurously too. His last few performances have been much closer to the standard we need but if he doesn't maintain this through to the next transfer window I'd still be looking to upgrade.

Spot on there mate .

Basham in the side allows coutts and/or Fleck to quickly join attack as Basham's doing their dirty work for them .

The number of times Duffy was effectively isolated upfront when attacking was a great indicator of how much we missed him . The number of times Duffy had to wait for support was incredibly frustrating .

To be fair though , that wasn't solely down to Basham not playing , four across the back impacted negatively aswell . But Basham was a big miss .

I've always liked him. Although I don't agree he gives110%, he gives 100% which is the maximum.

He's not the best tackler or creative player but he's just about the only tackler we've got. So until we sign a hard man ball-winning midfielder in the Trevor Hockey mold we should appreciate what he brings to the team.

Can't fault the guy's effort ......but
In a promotion winning side you need more than he offers.
Bob Booker as an example - he aint one of those.
He should be much more effective at attacking set pieces and should win battles with the opposition bruiser in midfiled more often than he does.
He needs to boss more than 1 in 6 games for me
He's not bad - but he aint that good, either IMO

He had been playing well since Gillingham away. So hardly 1 in 6.
Good enough for the division we are in at the moment.
Definitely missed him last night.

Seems a good sort who makes the best of what he's got. Wouldn't say I 'like' him as a footballer but he offers us qualities in the way we're set up at the moment that others don't.

In reply to the OP "Does anyone like Basham?" I'd reply, no not really, as a midfield player at least. The role he's in there he should be stamping his authority on the game, and bar the odd exception (eg Barnsley away a couple of seasons ago - that should be his benchmark for every game), he doesn't do it. For me he looks better at centre half, and would probably be fine alongside an EEL (although in a 2 I'd have O'Connell there). If we want to get out of this division I'd except more, much more, from the 'general' role in midfield. As a utility cover player in a promotion season he'd be fine.

You really can't use yesterday as proof that we need Basham in the side. He also got overrun in the middle the last time we played 442, it just doesn't suit our players in the slightest. Play Coutts, Fleck and Duffy centrally and then you've got a much fairer comparison. For what it's worth, I think he seems genuine and even in the past when players haven't put in the effort, he always did, and I also think our midfield is better with him, than without. He is still a weak link though. No one at 6'4" should get knocked off the ball anywhere near as easily as he does.

I'd have Basham over that Boeteng geezer.

I have to disagree about Boateng being different class. We was shit scared of him for the first 20 min. We grew our bolloxes and dealt with him making him look average. If he ran the show then why was he subbed off?

I agree that had Basham been playing he would have had Boateng in his pocket from the off. We actually did miss Bash last night but to be fair Bash has been playing well.

He was subbed off because they went from a back 3 to 4-4-2 in an attempt to push on - Boeteng was bloody awesome for a 19 year old - if he had come out of our academy you'd be having embarrassing leakages about him.

Back
Top Bottom