Anybody remember Ian Rush playing for us?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Please, don't remind me. Two words - shite!

UTB

Footballers never lose their class - it's usually their legs that go.

But Rush simply couldn't be arsed to lower himself to play for us after a career with the Scousers. That made me detest the bloke. He should never have darkened our door*.

*Or taken our money

• Banned
Quiz question of the day...

How many times, including friendlies, have Brian Deane and Tony Agana played between them against us for other clubs? :cool:

Footballers never lose their class - it's usually their legs that go.

But Rush simply couldn't be arsed to lower himself to play for us after a career with the Scousers. That made me detest the bloke. He should never have darkened our door*.

*Or taken our money

Yes he was shit so bad he could take the best player who ever played for us and the worst ever player awards on the same night.

However if my memory is correct didn't he have the decency to pack his contact in with us?

Aye he was awful. I cant remember too much, but then he did nowt.

I saw him, he must have played the grand total of about 4 games for us and was absolute utter garbage. He made the 2010-11 incarnation of Marcus Bent look like Ronaldinho

I remember him playing for us in a home game. Not sure who it was against. But a ball came through the middle and Rush was on his own. Only him was in the attacking half. All the other players could only watch as he trotted towards goal. He still managed to miss. The legend says he RUSHed it. He was terrible!

He was indeed a great 354 goals in 602 appearances - played 4 times for us and scored none. This thread reminded me of Jimmy Johnstone ( claimed to be Celtic's greatest ever player and one of the Lisbon Lions of 1967 ) - played 11 times for us in 2 years in the 70's - one of a long line of too many has-beens here to take a last payday.

He made a good assist for Gareth Taylor to fire in his 2nd goal in the 2-1 win against Bradford at home (the match is best remembered for the ref "assisting" Taylor's 1st goal- a Bradford defender made a clearance that rebounded off the ref's back and Taylor took advantage of the gift). For the 2nd goal, Rush held the ball up created some space in the penalty box and played the ball to Taylor

Remember his debut at QPR, midweek. My mate got nicked just outside the turnstiles (he was very unlucky, other two mates were swearing, being generally abusive and the lad that got nicked piped up at just the wrong moment, didn't even swear). They let him go just after kicking out time, which was fine for us next door in the boozer :) Didn't Rush score at Loftus Road, or at least create one of the goals that night??

Remember his debut at QPR, midweek. My mate got nicked just outside the turnstiles (he was very unlucky, other two mates were swearing, being generally abusive and the lad that got nicked piped up at just the wrong moment, didn't even swear). They let him go just after kicking out time, which was fine for us next door in the boozer :) Didn't Rush score at Loftus Road, or at least create one of the goals that night??
Never scored for us but not sure if he made an assist at QPR but deffo did against Bradford as I have explained above

In that case Silent, I'm sure he set one up for Dean Saunders. Could well be wrong as I'd had a few pints by that point!

Nah, I think Agana came off the bench against us for Notts County. Deane played and scored at the Lane for Leicester (Trevor Benjamin set it up and elbowed two players in doing so). That put Leicester 1-0 up but I think we came back to win 2-1.

Deane might have played against us for Leeds in 93/4 as well but I couldn't swear to that. Maybe for West Ham too?

Nah, I think Agana came off the bench against us for Notts County. Deane played and scored at the Lane for Leicester (Trevor Benjamin set it up and elbowed two players in doing so). That put Leicester 1-0 up but I think we came back to win 2-1.

Deane might have played against us for Leeds in 93/4 as well but I couldn't swear to that. Maybe for West Ham too?

Deane scored at the Lane for Leeds in 1993-4 in the 2-2 draw. He ran down the John Street side in celebration to the sound of "Deano is a wanker".

I went to the QPR game. Rush played quite well and laid on Dean Saunders' goal with a 1-2 on the edge of the box. That also finished 2-2.

I was quite excited by the thought of Ian Rush in the red and white stripes and really bigged him up to our then young & impressionable Son - what a letdown, he was utter shite and couldn't hit a barn door wi' a banjo for us.

Once? Deane for Benfica?

Deane played and scored against us for Leeds. My guess is 3 or 4 times. Don't ever remember Agana a turning out against us.

Rush was awful when he played for us. Can't remember a worse forward in my time watching the blades.

I remember that Leicester game. They had a man sent off but it could have been five - Kozzy was showing off where he'd taken Dickov's boot to his face at the end of season do that evening. If my memory is right it was a classic case of the Kop sucking in a late winner, I think Asaba prodded it in from about two inches.

Is he the most successful player to ever turn out for us in terms of honours?

In that case Silent, I'm sure he set one up for Dean Saunders. Could well be wrong as I'd had a few pints by that point!
You are probably right, I do not remember the goals in the QPR match. I probably saw the goals on tv and never saw them again.

EDIT... Just seen Revolution supporting your recollection of the QPR game

Last edited:
Is he the most successful player to ever turn out for us in terms of honours?
Probably. He won the 1984 European Cup along with many of the domestic honours. Four of Aston Villa's European Cup winning team of 1982 later played for us. Ken McNaught, Dennis Mortimer, Peter Withe and Gordon Cowans!

The memory of Ian Rush playing for us went from, wow what a great signing to, stick to making milk adverts. I remember now thanks to this thread :( ;)

Back
Top Bottom