And we're Shredfield United, Shredfield United F.C. , we're the greatest ......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
Adopt it into the folklore.

Just like the " we aint gorra barrel of money ..... but we've got Woodward and Currie, and with Eddie Colqhoun" song it would become legend.without following generations even knowing why.

Adopt it into the folklore.

Just like the " we aint gorra barrel of money ..... but we've got Woodward and Currie, and with Eddie Colqhoun" song it would become legend.without following generations even knowing why.
What song do we use when another supporter dies ?
Shred was loved and respected by many and his passing was a shock and way too early. However I bet every supporter on this forum is as passionate and loyal as Shred.
Leave the songs alone, leave the stands for sponsors and maybe set up a charity in his name (with the family's permission ) and raise money each year

What song do we use when another supporter dies ?
Shred was loved and respected by many and his passing was a shock and way too early. However I bet every supporter on this forum is as passionate and loyal as Shred.
Leave the songs alone, leave the stands for sponsors and maybe set up a charity in his name (with the family's permission ) and raise money each year
Well said that man.

• Banned
Oh! But if I knew him of him he must be famous. Can only think of one other so well known to a fan like me, distant from the hangers-on and yet knew him. Anyway what you say is fair enough. It's just that every so often there's an opportunity to recognise a grass root Blade. Not a well paid footballer who may have played for us and left for better money. Simply an out and out fan. Not a Chairman, an owner, a player. Simply an unpaid fan whose affinity with the club has been his life at great personal cost of time and money and one who has inspired others over many years.

Last edited:
I much prefer the suggestion to replace "A good pinch of snuff" with "A coach trip with Shred", suggested by a caller to Radio Pig on Friday I think.

I also agree with Pedro Verde ^^^^^^^^; I consider myself both passionate and loyal, but Shred was in another league.
Why was he ? Not disrespecting the man but how do you know that people on this forum were just a passionate as he was or even more so ?
To even think of changing the GCB lyrics is ludicrous and something that should never happen.

Why was he ? Not disrespecting the man but how do you know that people on this forum were just a passionate as he was or even more so ?
To even think of changing the GCB lyrics is ludicrous and something that should never happen.

Shred was different class you obviously didnt know him
There will not be anybody like him he was a one off as Woodward fan said leave it
The GCB changing lyric would be a good idea he wouldnt really want it
Did you ever go on Shreds Tours ?
Like the song says his coaches are shite but they sat all night David Spencers Tours

Shred was different class you obviously didnt know him
There will not be anybody like him he was a one off as Woodward fan said leave it
The GCB changing lyric would be a good idea he wouldnt really want it
Did you ever go on Shreds Tours ?
Like the song says his coaches are shite but they sat all night David Spencers Tours

This is an emotional time for lots of people but surely dissenting opinions respectfully given are allowed? I can't see that bartman has said owt beyond the pale.

This is an emotional time for lots of people but surely dissenting opinions respectfully given are allowed? I can't see that bartman has said owt beyond the pale.

The dissenting opinion given is slightly disrespectfull as Bartman obviously does not know the person in question
If you do not really know that person how can you give an opinion on him
Shred wouldnt want all this fuss he wouldnt want the Im a bigger blade card played he shyed away from stuff like that
As Peezablade said I consider myself to be passionate and loyal but Shred was in another league

The dissenting opinion given is slightly disrespectfull as Bartman obviously does not know the person in question
If you do not really know that person how can you give an opinion on him
Shred wouldnt want all this fuss he wouldnt want the Im a bigger blade card played he shyed away from stuff like that
As Peezablade said I consider myself to be passionate and loyal but Shred was in another league

Which is a statement you can no more make than bartman can make his unless you know every other United fan.

This is not something I want to get in to any arguments about, but bartman's points are respectfully made, whether you agree with them or not.

So do you know any Blade that went to Albania, China, Switzerland and any other place we played friendlies in
Thought not !!! I would think by the amount of posts you have on here you might have known Shred
As Woodward fan says leave it you are out of depth here

So do you know any Blade that went to Albania, China, Switzerland and any other place we played friendlies in
Thought not !!! I would think by the amount of posts you have on here you might have known Shred
As Woodward fan says leave it you are out of depth here

As I say, this is an emotional time for lots of folk.

As I say, this is an emotional time for lots of folk.

Yes and you didnt answer my question Albania China Isreal Switzerland (I went on that one)
Ive known him 40 years as will have a lot of Blades my age
Hes a one off we will never see the likes of him again

Yes and you didnt answer my question Albania China Isreal Switzerland (I went on that one)
Ive known him 40 years as will have a lot of Blades my age
Hes a one off we will never see the likes of him again

I didn't answer it because I don't think a 'Who is the biggest Blade?' contest is a particularly edifying thing to be taking part in at the present time.

I didn't answer it because I don't think a 'Who is the biggest Blade?' contest is a particularly edifying thing to be taking part in at the present time.

Bartman started it and you defended him
He said that every member on this forum was as loyal and passionate as Shred
I replied probably not
Which I think Im correct reading some of the crap that some members put on here
Bartman turned it into Biggest Blade and you said I couldnt give an opinion if I didnt know every blade
So I asked you the question and now you are blaming me for the biggest blade contest
I shouldnt have been drawn into this
RIP Shred a man I have known for 40 years and proud to have him as a friend

'All Blades together. United truly as one' are the words used by John Garret to describe Shred's utopia.. A lot of people are upset and emotions can run high by the passing of Shred but I think John's words should be considered when we make our posts.

Disappointed we can't just respect the guys memory quietly. Even the passing of a fan turns into a bitching match with people saying leave it. It's a sorry state. Can't we have differing points of view any more?

One thing I can be certain of is he wouldn't have wanted a thread like this.

Bartman started it and you defended him
He said that every member on this forum was as loyal and passionate as Shred
I replied probably not
Which I think Im correct reading some of the crap that some members put on here
Bartman turned it into Biggest Blade and you said I couldnt give an opinion if I didnt know every blade
So I asked you the question and now you are blaming me for the biggest blade contest
I shouldnt have been drawn into this
RIP Shred a man I have known for 40 years and proud to have him as a friend
I am sorry you have lost a long term friend but please re - read my posts. I have not started a bigger Blade debate at any stage.
I actually made a suggestion as a tribute to the man.
Shred was proud to support the club as we all are. I would be surprised if any fan would want a song changing or stand naming after them in the event of our death.
The club will speak to his family to see if they think a tribute is appropriate.

He was married to SUFC, for over 40 years he hardly ever missed a match (only missed matches due to illness or when his father died on the day we played at Oxford- his brother drove down to Oxford to tell him the news and then drove him back immediately) and always made sure he booked holidays from work when the Blades are playing away to Pompey, Plymouth on a midweek. Organised coaches, made sure everyone was home safe, if he arranged more than one coach, he would wait for the other to arrive before going for his pint. How many Blades fans can match that?

He was married to SUFC, for over 40 years he hardly ever missed a match (only missed matches due to illness or when his father died on the day we played at Oxford- his brother drove down to Oxford to tell him the news and then drove him back immediately) and always made sure he booked holidays from work when the Blades are playing away to Pompey, Plymouth on a midweek. Organised coaches, made sure everyone was home safe, if he arranged more than one coach, he would wait for the other to arrive before going for his pint. How many Blades fans can match that?
And as has been said before, we're not just talking first team games.
Reserves, youth, pre-season.
I'd never met the guy, seen him on numerous occasions, heard about him numerous times. I doubt whether many are as dedicated as he was.

I did not know Shred - but clearly he was an extremely loyal fan and by all accounts a great bloke.

But suggestions of changing the names of songs in his memory - particularly changing Sheffield to Shredfield - are just silly.

As others have said, I'm sure Shred himself would not have wanted such fuss.

My OP which was written with good intentions amid thoughts that this is an opportunity to revere a fan, just as fitting, if not more fitting than honouring players or managers who are transient in comparison to a life long fan who has done so much to help other fans enjoy the Blades and has devoted such a big part of his life to support the club. In many ways the fans are more important to the club than the owners, managers and players.

We are a broad church and there's nothing wrong with making a suggestion and nothing wrong with calling it silly.

I did not know Shred. Met him said ayup a few times. It seems to me that some want to claim they knew him better than others. We have around 19 to 20 k attending games. I would suggest that many have heard of him but not that many actually knew him. Petitions and battles of how he should be remembered surly should be left till after and when his family and CLOSE friends are ready to talk to the club. Just because you traveled on a coach with him a few times does not mean you knew him.
As for suggestions, Maybe the best thing to do would be to set up a thread to make them but have no quote section. Then people would not get offended at this difficult time and maybe someone will come up with a real gem that the family would like? You also have to respect that they may not want anything of the sort.

I've no intention to get into the debate on this thread. Regarding songs I thought it was nice on Saturday, and pretty touching even for me as someone who never knew the man. I'd like the 'every Saturday' song to the tune of everywhere we go to be continued primarily because it's a good song.

The man has his own songs anyway. Which is a fitting tribute to any blade. Leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom