An interesting conclusion drawn

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

GreasyChipBeattie

Reaction score
I've spent the last couple of days analysing, statement by statement, Nigel Adkins post match interview after the Shrewsbury debacle.
When you take enough time to look into the nuances of what he says, and more importantly the way he says it, it's all quite interesting.
I'm not a professional psychologist by any means, but I do know enough to be able to 'read between the lines'
I'd encourage you to go back and listen to it again. I mean really listen to it again, carefully looking for the clues in what he says and you'll soon see the glaringly obvious.
We're crap.

He sounds like a man under pressure and out of ideas, where even the players he knows from his past successes have let him down..

He's like our fanbase, were confused how one of the best squads in this league are one of the worse performing, no pride in themselves, let alone the club..

I've spent the last couple of days analysing, statement by statement, Nigel Adkins post match interview after the Shrewsbury debacle.
When you take enough time to look into the nuances of what he says, and more importantly the way he says it, it's all quite interesting.
I'm not a professional psychologist by any means, but I do know enough to be able to 'read between the lines'
I'd encourage you to go back and listen to it again. I mean really listen to it again, carefully looking for the clues in what he says and you'll soon see the glaringly obvious.
We're crap.

Stopped listening to his guff some time ago. So what does he say?

He's like our fanbase, were confused how one of the best squads in this league are one of the worse performing, no pride in themselves, let alone the club..

This isn't one of the best squads in this league. It is well and truly a shit squad and has been for a while. We had one of the best squads in the league when we came down here but since then it's been very poor. We had a decent chance of building a good squad under Clough but Maguire was sold, Coady wasn't bought and then things took a turn for the worse and we've been left with this.

The manager has looked like a rabbit frozen in the headlights from day one. No impact whatsoever. Even Weir managed to complete a decent signing (Coady). However, IMO, it is all part of an ongoing situation; without the much maligned Bassett and Warnock we would have spent the best part of the last 35 years in this league.

Adkins post-Shrewsbury was uncomfortably reminiscent of Weir post-Hartlepool. He strikes me as being lost in this situation.

Goes without saying that I hope that's not the case, & that he has real plans (& the guts to implement them) to reverse the alarming trends that are developing.

I've just had another listen and he sounds to me like a man who's out of ideas. Looking at our fixtures between now and the end of the year I can see things getting worse.

He is guilty of many errors, but I don't blame him for the lack of effort and spineless rubbish on Tuesday. It's clear he felt very hurt, let down and bewildered by what he had witnessed.

He is an honest man, does have a certain pedigree in football. I'm convinced the problems eminate from the boardroom. Our Twitter happy co chairman, although a lovely chap, is so out of his depth he's becoming an embarrassment. The silent one, well is silent. We need leadership and there appears to be none.

I'll still be there on Ssturday, but I can only see trouble in and amongst our own fans if the players don't bother to turn up again.

1. Shut up shop immediately - we are conceding too many goals so we need to abandon the "set up to win every game philosophy" for a run of 6-10 games and concentrate on not conceding a goal.
Yes, that's back to Clough tactics - but it's the only way you build any confidence into a team that is clearly shot (yes, shot as well as shit) at the moment.
2. I'd set up with Done as the lone striker, the outlet, for him to chase the ball released into the channel and wait for support. Or if the ball is played over the top or slid in between centre back and full back - a lot of his goals for Rochdale were scored that way. This would mean dropping Sharp and keeping both he and Sammon on the bench for when Done was knackered - or we needed more of a direct approach late in a game.
3. I'd put as much pace and strength as I could muster in a midfield (Ha!) I'd only play one of either Coutts or Hammond in there - sub one of them for the other, if required.
4. I'd use Che on one of the wings (Right as a preference) - not centrally - he seems to play better when he can run forwards rather than with his back to goal attempting to tussle with a centre back and turning them - His control is not great when under pressure and playing on the wing will give him time to run onto stuff and generate the momentum that scares defenders.
K-Wall gets the left hand midfield berth as he can cover for Harris if he ventures forwards - especially when Harris takes the set pieces - and K Wall is much swifter than Baxter - who gets caught out of position too much, still.
5. We'd need somebody like Scougall to get up to support Done as much as he could - being the most forward of a 5 man midfield - once he is knackered then sub him with Baxter - or start Baxter and then sub him with Scogall
6. To counter the aerial threat we would have to stick with Edgar and Collins as the centre backs since we need the height - we would not be playing expansive football for a while so they would not be found out for pace as there would not be as much space in behind them.

Given what we have at the moment it would be something like

Howard
Freeman Edgar Collins Harris
Adams Basham Coutts Wallace (K)
Scougall (Baxter)
Done

Still shit - but may battle for a point and could nick one or two on the counter to snaffle all three.

Reading between the lines he felt let down badly by certain players he put faith in and I think he would include Hammond among them I reckon. Hence the statement that there will be consiquences.

I would not be surprised to see a completely different starting 11 on Saturday with some youngsters from the under 21's making up the bench.

These players need to act as if there are at least playing for some personal pride because even if they don't intend to be here next season then what other club would want them with their attitude at the moment.

Reading between the lines he felt let down badly by certain players he put faith in and I think he would include Hammond among them I reckon. Hence the statement that there will be consiquences.

I would not be surprised to see a completely different starting 11 on Saturday with some youngsters from the under 21's making up the bench.

These players need to act as if there are at least playing for some personal pride because even if they don't intend to be here next season then what other club would want them with their attitude at the moment.
That's what I thought. He was obviously tempering what he said because he knows if you publicly criticise the players you're halfway out of the door; you have to be in a very strong position to get away with it.

He admitted to 'having words' in the dressing room. I don't think he can, or needs to, say more that that right now.

I've just had another listen and he sounds to me like a man who's out of ideas. Looking at our fixtures between now and the end of the year I can see things getting worse.

I'm sorry Smirthy, I didn't really want you to listen again.
I'm not really an amateur psychologist.
I was just trying to be funny. :D

That's what I thought. He was obviously tempering what he said because he knows if you publicly criticise the players you're halfway out of the door; you have to be in a very strong position to get away with it.

He admitted to 'having words' in the dressing room. I don't think he can, or needs to, say more that that right now.

I also don't think its a case of players losing faith with the manager either I think its more selfishness of individual players. The ones who know that there is no new deal on the table for them this season and I bet they assumed that because of the change in manager they would be offered one.

Those players now don't really want to be here, the club don't really want them here and the manager does not want them here.

Back
Top Bottom