An interesting analysis

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BladeFisher

Reaction score
Glad to see the lads get a result today.....we're now into 3rd gear.

However, I was interested in doing a bit of statistical analysis on our goals/attempts ratio and chose arguably the best side in the league to compare us with.

After 5 games including cup the match we have had 58 shots at goal of which 19 have been on target that is 32.7%. This has yielded 6 goals. A goal to on target ratio of 31.5%

By contrast Preston have had 66 shots at goal of which 28 have been on target (42.4%) yielding 9 goals, with a goals to on target ratio of 32.1%.

I thought the interesting bit was that the goals to on target ration was very similar, it's the on target bit that we seem somewhat wayward on.

• Banned
Take out the cup game and compare. See how it compares then.

Not much different actually since we both scored two goals in the respective games.

Blades shots 44 on target 14 (31.8%) goals 4 (28.5%)

Preston shots 56 on target 23 (41.1%) goals 7 (30.4%)

So in essence Preston manage about a third more of their shots on target.

Not much different actually since we both scored two goals in the respective games.

Blades shots 44 on target 14 (31.8%) goals 4 (28.5%)

Preston shots 56 on target 23 (41.1%) goals 7 (30.4%)

So in essence Preston manage about a third more of their shots on target.

Cheers. Wondered if ours would be better including cup game.

trouble with bare stats is it doesnt equate to the quality of opposition
ie would preston have scored 9 v , bristol city coventry peterborough and crawley know they lost at posh 2-0 last season for eg was there

looked it up the scored 6 in corresponding results , mainly due to weird 4-4 draw at coventry other 2 were 1-0

• Banned
trouble with bare stats is it doesnt equate to the quality of opposition
ie would preston have scored 9 v , bristol city coventry peterborough and crawley know they lost at posh 2-0 last season for eg was there

looked it up the scored 6 in corresponding results , mainly due to weird 4-4 draw at coventry other 2 were 1-0

So what has the opposition got to do with having a shot on target, other than a block causing a deflection, which granted may have happened?

What this simple analysis showed to me was that about 30% of on target shots led to a goal, but that Preston managed about a third more on target shots. The deduction one might draw from that is that United need to get their players to shoot more accurately! It could be of course that Preston have 33% better quality players that can shoot more accurately. Now there's a thought.

In terms of opposition Preston have played Notts County, Rochdale (cup), Scunthorpe, Doncaster and Oldham. Wouldn't say collectively that is that much inferior to who we've played. I'll keep on eye on it, see how it develops.

well your more likely to get more shots in v crewe than v bristol city as they are vastly different teams
and on shot targets could bve screamers brilliantly saved or a mis hit powder puff shot taking a slight deflection wrong footing a keeper
man utd year before last collected 11 own goals in a season , some of which no man utd player touched
how do you equate those

Glad to see the lads get a result today.....we're now into 3rd gear.

However, I was interested in doing a bit of statistical analysis on our goals/attempts ratio and chose arguably the best side in the league to compare us with.

After 5 games including cup the match we have had 58 shots at goal of which 19 have been on target that is 32.7%. This has yielded 6 goals. A goal to on target ratio of 31.5%

By contrast Preston have had 66 shots at goal of which 28 have been on target (42.4%) yielding 9 goals, with a goals to on target ratio of 32.1%.

I thought the interesting bit was that the goals to on target ration was very similar, it's the on target bit that we seem somewhat wayward on.

We'll have a 90 minute comparison soon that will be more accurate than any % thrown up on here.

An interesting analysis ? playing it a bit fast and loose with the word interesting there arent you bladefisher ?

Back
Top Bottom