All in for a fiver...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The_Green_Man

Slave to the NHS.
Reaction score
I pretty decent offer that has been rolled out by Charlton for about 5 years now. Quite a successful scheme that has brought them some decent attendances......

I'm a season ticket holder at The Lane however I don't think I would have many quarrels should the club wish to roll out a similar deal a few times this season in all honesty.

For all that Adkins hawked on about "pushing on together" and being "United together"....We have to be honest with ourselves, we still didn't make ourselves that force to be reckoned with last year did we. The football played a huge part of it but we didn't have that buzz in the stands and it felt quite half hearted in certain areas of the ground....

I just feel like we are starting to pull together again a bit this season and such ticket incentives to further increase the attendances could only help to boost the buzz if you get what I mean??.....Pack the ground to the rafters and continue the momentum because home is key for promotion chasing teams

And of course we need to continue the fantastic work of the club over the years in promoting football as a family sport. We need to be making the game financially affordable for families with children! We need to be doing everything we can to get our future generations of fans through the turnstyles to get them hooked.

How does the All In For A Fiver thing work? I don't think I've heard of it.

How does the All In For A Fiver thing work?

They have one match a year where tickets anywhere in the stands are five pounds for all ages. Plus a quid from each goes to their community trust.

My understanding is that the policy at the Lane is to ensure that the best value for watching the games is a season ticket (which is fair because we commit up front and would be penalised by better offers down the line, people also expect to make a somewhat significant saving). This makes introducing new ideas difficult during a season when most promotions have been planned well in advance. Other than that, I think it's an excellent idea for a future event. Would be interested in how much it ups the gates by when they run it.

They have one match a year where tickets anywhere in the stands are five pounds for all ages. Plus a quid from each goes to their community trust.

My understanding is that the policy at the Lane is to ensure that the best value for watching the games is a season ticket (which is fair because we commit up front and would be penalised by better offers down the line, people also expect to make a somewhat significant saving). This makes introducing new ideas difficult during a season when most promotions have been planned well in advance. Other than that, I think it's an excellent idea for a future event. Would be interested in how much it ups the gates by when they run it.

I like that idea a lot, especially with the money going into community projects. If Charlton can do it, given their precarious state then there's no reason why we can't as far as I can see. To push towards upwards of 20k at 3rd division home matches would be impressive.

A quick look at the attendances shows around a 5000 or 25% increase in ticket sales every time the scheme is rolled out.

As I said, even as a season ticket holder I am open to such suggestions because it would help to boost the gates and get the buzz back at the lane.

I'm a season ticket holder and have never objected to the club putting on offers to attract more fans/supporters/ customers.

I've said this before - the marketing guys should be dreaming up ideas every week about who they should be targeting in order to attract another 5,000. These offers should be aimed at different sectors so those season ticket holders who do have an objection would realise they didn't qualify for some of the offers that were made available.

A simple objective for the marketing department would be - by the end of the season make sure every seat on the lower tier of the BL end is sold. End of.

Obviously, we need to keep pushing ideas to try and up the support for the club for the long term

The more we can get into the ground now, particularly young supporters, the greater the support will be in the long term and this for me is one of the reasons why our support has held up better than perhaps we all expected now we are on our 6th consecutive league one campaign.

It's been noticeable that our neighbours in recent seasons have caught on to the way our club have been proactive in trying to get those youngsters into the ground and now offer similar offers. If we don't continue to look at new and innovative ways to entice young supporters through the turnstiles, the more we will eventually lose out to those dirty tw@ts across the city and eventually it will impact on our attendances. It doesn't help of course that the tables have turned somewhat with the fact we are relatively potless while they continue to throw competitive wads of cash at trying to get to the promised land
I think they have sold 20k season tickets this season.

As is said above, I am also a ST holder and I actually don't give a fk what the club do to encourage supporters through the turnstiles. I don't buy a ST to save money. I buy a ST to support the club

Go around all local schools and junior football clubs and invite these kids and their parents to matches. Fill the ground. Now is the time to strike while we are actually managing to get results.

I guess the danger is that the more £5 games that are offered, the more likely people are going to pick and choose those games.
Then wanting them to 'step up' to the 25 quidders is a big ask.
The cost is probably a big factor in the first place as to why they don't go.
If the gate increase of the season on fiver days gradually reduced in percentage terms, then you could say it's a winner.
I think I'd prefer more of a Bradford City approach.
Have a couple of seasons of cheap season tickets, fill the ground, get people hooked and gradually increase the cost over the next 2 or 3 seasons.

Obviously, we need to keep pushing ideas to try and up the support for the club for the long term

The more we can get into the ground now, particularly young supporters, the greater the support will be in the long term and this for me is one of the reasons why our support has held up better than perhaps we all expected now we are on our 6th consecutive league one campaign.

It's been noticeable that our neighbours in recent seasons have caught on to the way our club have been proactive in trying to get those youngsters into the ground and now offer similar offers. If we don't continue to look at new and innovative ways to entice young supporters through the turnstiles, the more we will eventually lose out to those dirty tw@ts across the city and eventually it will impact on our attendances. It doesn't help of course that the tables have turned somewhat with the fact we are relatively potless while they continue to throw competitive wads of cash at trying to get to the promised land

As is said above, I am also a ST holder and I actually don't give a fk what the club do to encourage supporters through the turnstiles. I don't buy a ST to save money. I buy a ST to support the club

Go around all local schools and junior football clubs and invite these kids and their parents to matches. Fill the ground. Now is the time to strike while we are actually managing to get results.
Completely agree.

I buy my season ticket because I get to most games.

I have the same reserved seat every game so I'm sitting with the same people and there's no danger of being stuck with a right nob.

It's convenient. I already have my ticket I don't need to sort one out for every time I go. eg. I may not make the Walsall game next Tuesday because I may not get around to sorting my ticket.

I was gob smacked to hear that Sheffield University only had 50 tickets for the students for a fiver offer last Tuesday and they sold out the lunchtime before the game so no chance of a last minute decision which is how students usually run their lives.

I pretty decent offer that has been rolled out by Charlton for about 5 years now. Quite a successful scheme that has brought them some decent attendances......

I'm a season ticket holder at The Lane however I don't think I would have many quarrels should the club wish to roll out a similar deal a few times this season in all honesty.

For all that Adkins hawked on about "pushing on together" and being "United together"....We have to be honest with ourselves, we still didn't make ourselves that force to be reckoned with last year did we. The football played a huge part of it but we didn't have that buzz in the stands and it felt quite half hearted in certain areas of the ground....

I just feel like we are starting to pull together again a bit this season and such ticket incentives to further increase the attendances could only help to boost the buzz if you get what I mean??.....Pack the ground to the rafters and continue the momentum because home is key for promotion chasing teams

And of course we need to continue the fantastic work of the club over the years in promoting football as a family sport. We need to be making the game financially affordable for families with children! We need to be doing everything we can to get our future generations of fans through the turnstyles to get them hooked.

As a season ticket holder of 50 years+ I dont have a problem either at ideas to promote the gates at the club. There is nothing better than seeing a full house at the Lane and as someone else has said its important to get young kids attending so that they become addicted to watching the Mighty Blades and so securing the future of the club

Any ideas that promote the support for the Blades particularly in encouraging young kid to attend is good. I am sure that many people started attending because their Dad took them to a match which in days gone by was fairly cheap whereas these days its an arm and a leg even for kids !

I guess the danger is that the more £5 games that are offered, the more likely people are going to pick and choose those games.
Then wanting them to 'step up' to the 25 quidders is a big ask.
The cost is probably a big factor in the first place as to why they don't go.
If the gate increase of the season on fiver days gradually reduced in percentage terms, then you could say it's a winner.
I think I'd prefer more of a Bradford City approach.
Have a couple of seasons of cheap season tickets, fill the ground, get people hooked and gradually increase the cost over the next 2 or 3 seasons.
But we already have at least 12,000 ST holders. If we did a Bradford City, the club would lose money. If you look at the attendances at BC, although a lot better than before the deal, they stil don't fill the ground. What about, buy one ticket, get a second one for another home game for a fiver?

The fact is apart from cup games where the gate is shared, match day tickets could be given away to fill the ground, but of course that is unsustainable, ATM we run around 20k home games, meaning around 13 k empty seats, we know around 13k are season ticket holders, perhaps a few more so around 7 k buy tickets at approximately £20 per head = £140,000 give or take a grand,now let's take a look at £5 tickets, let's say the entire 20,000 non season tickets are sold for a 33,000 full house 20,000 X £5 = £100,000 a loss of 40k on revenue, but wait add to that extra programmes and other sundries from the club shop etc and possibly no loss at all but a gain in support and maybe some young fans beginning there long association with the blades, surely worth a punt from the powers that be.
I'm all for bigger crowds better atmosphere and scare the bejeebus out of such as fleetwood town and others used to less than 4K crowds.
Do it blades, let's make BDTBL a place that intimidates. Like it once did.

UTB.

Understatement of the century. The 'football', the lack of effort, the non-existent tactics, regularly losing at home to tiny sides, crap signings (yes, you Hammond) all contributed to making last season the most turgid I can remember. And yet we're still here! I think getting crowds of 19k and then hoping for 24k is a bit unrealistic.

With the burgeoning student population we should set aside part of the ground for them and call it the "talking loudly about oneself" area where they can all pretend they're Jack Whitehall despite coming from Moss Side, Monk Bretton or Denaby. The caterers will need to take credit cards though....

I've always thought that the "quid a kid" offer is a great idea but should be £1 entry for under 16's for every game anywhere in the stadium.

Two main reasons :-

1. The kids are our future supporters so by getting them early means there's more chance of them carrying on supporting the blades once they become adults = larger core support.
2. It would mean that mum and dad could probably afford to take the kids to games. At the moment it probably about £100 for a family of four to attend a game so if the kids were a quid each, it would be much more affordable.

The other advantage being that we'd fill some of those empty seats and produce a better atmosphere.

With the burgeoning student population we should set aside part of the ground for them and call it the "talking loudly about oneself" area where they can all pretend they're Jack Whitehall despite coming from Moss Side, Monk Bretton or Denaby. The caterers will need to take credit cards though....

If this takes off I want sushi and tempura on the menu.....you know.....as a sign we're all Blades innit.

All kids free for the day, tenner for the adults.

Be great for adults with say 3 or 4 kids they can't afford to take along.

EDIT : I just have the one and he's too young yet

Back
Top Bottom