Alcock, unfair criticism, or one of our worst ever players?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Harry's Game

Reaction score
A number of threads on various forums have really slated him for Saturday with some ranking him alongside name such as Jordan Stewart, Nyron Nosworthy and Andy Barnsley as one of our worst every defenders.

I didn't think he looked a bad signing when the season started but over the last few weeks he has been like a car with a failed hand break starting to slowly roll down a slope faster and faster until on Saturday he smashed into the wall at the bottom of the hill.

I think we need Davies back sooner rather than later.

Agree he is a weak link at the minute but he is far from our worst ever defender. However, for all the talk of a striker not having Brayford and replacing him with Alcock is probably what is holding us back more than anything.

Not so much defensively where Alcock is ok but going forward. The nuber of times Flynn or Campbell Ryce look for the option on the overlap and he just isn't there or doesn't make the right runs. Shame we missed out on Freeman but I would have Davies back in there at the minute.

I like him, he's not Davies, and I don't want to even mention him in the same sentence as the bearded one, but he works his balls off, gets all over the pitch, wins a lot of headers for his size and gets some good tackles in.....
But recently, mainly Saturday, he's been playing like a twat

Alcock is not a player that gets forward much. Decent defensively though and certainly not as bad as Stewart or Nosworthy (Who has just signed a short term deal for Blackpool...that's relegation certainty for them)

Neither Davies or Alcock are good enough to be our first choice right back in my opinion. As I stated on another thread, Alcock is steady on a good day, and Davies just doesn't have the pace to get up the line and support his winger, resulting in the majority of his crosses being from just inside the opposition's half.

A new right-back would be top of my shopping list. We managed well enough last season with Porter and Baxter up front when we had attacking fullbacks and midfielders. We now also have McNulty and Higdon who have both shown themselves to be capable of scoring at this level.

A wing back with a bit of pace and a good cross on him would be a great addition.

A number of threads on various forums have really slated him for Saturday with some ranking him alongside name such as Jordan Stewart, Nyron Nosworthy and Andy Barnsley as one of our worst every defenders.

I didn't think he looked a bad signing when the season started but over the last few weeks he has been like a car with a failed hand break starting to slowly roll down a slope faster and faster until on Saturday he smashed into the wall at the bottom of the hill.

Suggest you stop reading "other forums".

One of our worst ever defenders? Nowhere near - even if you discount recent loan disasters (Egan, Mattock, Seip, Nosworthy etc.).
He was probably our best player in the first 3-4 games, so not sure what's gone wrong lately. Maybe the manager stating openly that Brayford & Freeman are "better than what we have" didn't help his confidence?
I think the key question is: Who would you rather have - Alcock or McMahon? Because that's the level we seem to be operating at. I'd have Alcock every day of the week.

One of our worst ever defenders? Nowhere near - even if you discount loans (Egan, Mattock, Seip, Nosworthy etc.).
He was probably our best player in the first 3-4 games, so not sure what's gone wrong lately. Maybe the manager stating openly that Brayford & Freeman are "better than what we have" didn't help his confidence?
I think the key question is: Who would you rather have - Alcock or McMahon? Because that's the level we seem to be operating at. I'd have Alcock every day of the week.

Personally, I think this criticism is absolute nonsense. Yes, he's had a couple of bad games recently, but in the list of players who need replacing he features very low on the list! Seen threads speaking about Basham being a potential POTY already, well I'm sorry, but Alcock has done much more to prove his worth than Basham. He's been an ever-present for a start hasn't he??

In all fairness Alcock might not have been up to full scratch the last few games which is why he is being singled out for criticism however I personally like him and think he has shown us more than enough this season to see that he is a good player. I think he is just another in the line of players at Bramall Lane at the minute who lack consistency.

He deserves the criticism lately but has done all right for us overall,lets give the lad a chance to prove that he can keep the spot.

And Cloughy needs to stop coming out with stuff like Brayford and Freeman are better than what we've got,even though it's true the lad doesn't need to hear it.

Reasonable defending and not bad in our own third. Worst attacking fullback we've had in many years. He may yet come good. seems to have a lack of confidence in his own ability in the last third.

Reasonable defending and not bad in our own third. Worst attacking fullback we've had in many years. He may yet come good. seems to have a lack of confidence in his own ability in the last third.

*rightback - you may be right. However, weighed against our last few left-backs (throwing in McMahon too) and he looks like messi alongside those! Wouldn't say Harris was any better going forward either to be honey. Think weve been spoilt with right-backs for years now.

If I was looking to be critical of players in the team Alcock would be half way down my list of order from worst to best. Totally disagree with the OP.

*rightback - you may be right. However, weighed against our last few left-backs (throwing in McMahon too) and he looks like messi alongside those! Wouldn't say Harris was any better going forward either to be honey. Think weve been spoilt with right-backs for years now.

Harris is very good going forwards. We've scored a few goals from his crosses this season, West Ham being one that stands out in particular, and there was another recently. He's not frightened to have a shot either. He's also pretty good at taking corners. If we had the balance of another decent attacking full back on the other side we'd look a lot more threatening.

If it hadn't been for us having Brayford last season, it would probably have been Bob getting the plaudits.

A significant number of posters on here don't understand the concept of "form."

Alcock is a decent player but hasn't been in the best of form. Even so, it's worth pointing out that he still played a significant part in our last two goals scored.

Sorry even Hill was better attacking and that is saying something. I do however think he has potential to get a lot better at it.

Harry's game just likes to throw bombs in the forum, usually after a bad result

Move along, nothing to see here.

I've said since the start of the season that Davies is our best option as an "attacking" right back. Which is an essential part of the system we play, especially at home.

With Davies out we're very short of alternative options at right back and we could really do with a Brayford/Freeman signing before Thursday.

Having said that calling Alcock one of our worst ever players is way over the top. The fact he's having to play every single game in all competitions can't be helping his form. Maybe he needs a rest and a rival to give him a boost?

Let's be right, Alcock was terrible Saturday, but a bad patch, even a spectacularly bad patch, doesn't warrant comparisons to the lumbering nightmare that was Nyron Nosworthy.

Going forward he's bad. When JCR and Flynn want someone to either overlap or run inside to create them space he does the opposite and fills their space.

IMO it's no coincidence Ryan Flynn was at his best when he had Brayford behind him. Case of a good full back making a good winger.

However bad Alcock is, he's guaranteed a start due to lack of cover. We ever tried Flynny at right back? I think he'd do alright there.

Not seen it but it's complete nonsense. He had a poor game on Saturday, but he's been steady throughout the season and certainly not a liability.
Some fans are far too quick to rip our players down for what is a slight dip in form or taking time to settle.
Basham had very similar comments only a couple of weeks ago.

He's usually a steady right back who usually does a decent job. He's a bit restricted going forwards. I'd rather have him than Macmahon any day, at least we are pretty sure he'll complete every game he starts. He doesn't always get much protection from his right sided midfield either which exposes him to more risk.

He is a bit out of form but there again his Centre half pairing are getting chopped and changed.

Back
Top Bottom