Alan Woodward - The Movie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

MobileBlade

Reaction score
I know I posted about this on other Woody threads but since that time, @silentblade has found a couple of assists that were missing from his original superb extensive listing. I have now added these, including one that we had a clip of. There is another that I have put in placeholder in for whilst still trying to beg the footage off ITN!

The original idea came from WalthamstowBlade who supplied much of the footage and also played a sort of back seat director role. He was very good at it.

There are a few forumers mentioned at the end so it may be that you wish to watch in full screen or on the you tube site.

We are also looking for any clips that we know are filmed but we haven't managed to find. Will post a full list of these in due course.

Otherwise, pick up the popcorn, chip buttie or whatever, sit back and enjoy best part of 40 mins of some classic blades action.

Forgot to add, apologies to any German Blades. For some reason, the use of Rose Garden is not allowed in Germany so it will not be visible to you!

_83162714_pa-4689110.jpg

Gentlemen, and Walthy

That is brilliant - took me back to those days when watching United was sheer pleasure.

Got me quite emotional for a bit.

And me George.

I'd almost forgotten how much I loved Gilbert Reece when I was kid and he scores a couple of belters on there as well.

To be fair Badger, Hemsley, Colquhoun, Woody, Salmons, TC, Reece, Dearden, Tudor, it almost brings me to tears thinking what we had in my formative years.
Could watch that footage all day/night.

Looking at the state of of the pitch alone makes you wonder how good Woody an Currie could have been on a Desso one dun it..
Well done you lads, it's only afterwards seeing that again you realize just how special it really was....

Apparently the goal against The Spurs @21:20. Just before he lobbed Jennings, he said to Jennings as he was running towards him " You've come out too far!!"...

I know I posted about this on other Woody threads but since that time, @silentblade has found a couple of assists that were missing from his original superb extensive listing. I have now added these, including one that we had a clip of. There is another that I have put in placeholder in for whilst still trying to beg the footage off ITN!

The original idea came from WalthamstowBlade who supplied much of the footage and also played a sort of back seat director role. He was very good at it.

There are a few forumers mentioned at the end so it may be that you wish to watch in full screen or on the you tube site.

We are also looking for any clips that we know are filmed but we haven't managed to find. Will post a full list of these in due course.

Otherwise, pick up the popcorn, chip buttie or whatever, sit back and enjoy best part of 40 mins of some classic blades action.

Great Video MB..takes me back to those happy days growing up watching the Wizards,and aswell as Woody,what great players we had ..Gil Reece was another favourite of mine,Addison...remember him often hanging in the air to head home a Woody cross,and he was great at holding up/shielding the ball...as opposed to now,we knew when we got a corner that there was a good chance we'd score with Woody taking them...you can hear the roar of anticipation on the video.

Sheer class how he brought down that long pass from Currie while running at full speed before calmly stroking it past the keeper, and you'd be hard put to see a harder shot than that one at Man City. Woody really did have it all

Excellent work. I feel it's important to identify the ball boy going mental behind the goal after most of the replays, brilliant! I wasn't lucky enough to see Alan play but after listening to so many (often repeated) stories of him over the years I feel a greater bond towards him than many players I did. Legend.

Excellent work. I feel it's important to identify the ball boy going mental behind the goal after most of the replays, brilliant! I wasn't lucky enough to see Alan play but after listening to so many (often repeated) stories of him over the years I feel a greater bond towards him than many players I did. Legend.
There are some Forum members in here that were ball boys. Lord Bos of Eckington. and LSF were two and I believe there is more. It is obvious that the ball boys in that FA Cup win against Everton in 1970 were over the moon when we scored!

Sheer class how he brought down that long pass from Currie while running at full speed before calmly stroking it past the keeper, and you'd be hard put to see a harder shot than that one at Man City. Woody really did have it all

TC did apologise that the pass wasn't up to usual standards, MB ;)

TC did apologise that the pass wasn't up to usual standards, MB ;)

Very droll.

I know it's about Woody but the video contains some brilliant examples of what made Currie great and there's nothing illustrates it better than that pass to Dearden against Man City in 1972 which led to the penalty. On a typically rough 1970s pitch, he hits it fifty or sixty yards with the outside of his foot, dropping it just over Tommy Booth's shoulder, tantalisingly out of his reach, perfectly placed for Dearden to run onto with the spin on the ball angling him towards the penalty area rather than the corner flag. And although Currie wouldn't be able to tell you how, it was all deliberate and all sized-up in his head during that brief glance up to assess his options.

Great stuff.

Looking forward to watching this later. A great way to make the hours go quicker whilst sat in a hotel room waiting to work.
Thanks very much to all those who put this together for us that are not very good at this sort of thing.

I've meant to watch this for a long time now and finally managed it today, sat in the Dev Cat with a pint of Moonshine. Having been privileged to follow the Blades all through his career this has rekindled some fabulous memories. Thanks WalthamstowBlade for this and your other videos - and also to Walthy Senior ;)

Back
Top Bottom