AGM

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Any news anyone?

Oh dear. All the accumulated wisdom and severe criticism of the board that is spouted on here and yet nobody has a thing to say about the AGM of last weekend at Bramall Lane before the match. That is when the board are obliged to answer all our questions. They have to declare policy and monetary intentions. The manager attends, sits there and participates all square with the board. The board has to present the accounts for the previous financial year and anwer any queries. Anybody can become a shareholder for a few pounds.

I didn't go either but I will be sent a copy of the accounts in due course.

I heard Lenners was there and asked all the hard questions.

Some bullet points from BM:

NC did a Q & A but no major news from that. quite a bit of humour from him. Says he wants to add 3 to the squad including a striker.

McGahey and Kennedy can cover the centre back position and McEverley can cover left back.

Someone asked about Harry. KM said that Nigel gave him very good advice but unfortunately he listen to poor advice from someone else. they all hoped he could get his career back on track.

After NC left to concentrate on match day duties the Q & A continued.

We are going to have a new pitch laid.

Jim said that the Prince is a poor loser and has long calls to him asking what went wrong if we don 't win.

Sela Baki expanded on that and said that the Prince remains in very close contact ringing him at least three times a day to ask about things going on at the Club.

It was reported that due to last years cup run together with the sale of Harry and investment from the Prince we are well inside the player protocol (FFP) limits. Even if we sign three players on decent wages in the JTW we are unlikely to be near the limit.

This in part was due to the new 'bounty' rules for League 1 which mean we are allowed 100% of funds from the Cup runs and player sales towards FFP (last year it was 60%).

Jim said that whilst the Cup runs were exciting they will only generate hundreds of thousands in sponsorship whereas promotion would generate millions. There are some Turkish sponsors waiting to see how the season unfolds before they commit.

One lady of a certain age asked why we had stopped showing goal replays on the big screen. She had always sat in the middle of the Kop and didn't see why she should stop doing so but she was a bit unsteady on her legs and when everyone leapt up she could not do so and missed all the goals.

Because of this she relied on the big screen to see them but lately had been forced to stay up to watch the League 1 show now we had stopped showing them on the screen.

The answer given was that the screen is now 10 years old and we are hoping to get a new one but in the meantime the replays would hopefully be back in the new year.

Jim intervened to tell the Lady she should not worry because the replays would be back and frankly she hadn't missed many goals at the Lane so far this season
bigwink.gif

Oh dear. All the accumulated wisdom and severe criticism of the board that is spouted on here and yet nobody has a thing to say about the AGM of last weekend at Bramall Lane before the match. That is when the board are obliged to answer all our questions. They have to declare policy and monetary intentions. The manager attends, sits there and participates all square with the board. The board has to present the accounts for the previous financial year and anwer any queries. Anybody can become a shareholder for a few pounds.

I have never, in the history of AGM's or fans forums, heard anythng of worth that isn't simply spun the way the club wants it. I don't blame the club at all for that, nor do I blame those who chose not to waste their evenings attending.

UTB

Has anyone seen the Blades Leisure and FC accounts ? I thought only the SU limited accounts were out ?

Last edited:
I have never, in the history of AGM's or fans forums, heard anythng of worth that isn't simply spun the way the club wants it. I don't blame the club at all for that, nor do I blame those who chose not to waste their evenings attending.

UTB

The AGM has been in a morning for years.

Some bullet points from BM:

NC did a Q & A but no major news from that. quite a bit of humour from him. Says he wants to add 3 to the squad including a striker.

McGahey and Kennedy can cover the centre back position and McEverley can cover left back.

Someone asked about Harry. KM said that Nigel gave him very good advice but unfortunately he listen to poor advice from someone else. they all hoped he could get his career back on track.

After NC left to concentrate on match day duties the Q & A continued.

We are going to have a new pitch laid.

Jim said that the Prince is a poor loser and has long calls to him asking what went wrong if we don 't win.

Sela Baki expanded on that and said that the Prince remains in very close contact ringing him at least three times a day to ask about things going on at the Club.

It was reported that due to last years cup run together with the sale of Harry and investment from the Prince we are well inside the player protocol (FFP) limits. Even if we sign three players on decent wages in the JTW we are unlikely to be near the limit.

This in part was due to the new 'bounty' rules for League 1 which mean we are allowed 100% of funds from the Cup runs and player sales towards FFP (last year it was 60%).

Jim said that whilst the Cup runs were exciting they will only generate hundreds of thousands in sponsorship whereas promotion would generate millions. There are some Turkish sponsors waiting to see how the season unfolds before they commit.

One lady of a certain age asked why we had stopped showing goal replays on the big screen. She had always sat in the middle of the Kop and didn't see why she should stop doing so but she was a bit unsteady on her legs and when everyone leapt up she could not do so and missed all the goals.

Because of this she relied on the big screen to see them but lately had been forced to stay up to watch the League 1 show now we had stopped showing them on the screen.

The answer given was that the screen is now 10 years old and we are hoping to get a new one but in the meantime the replays would hopefully be back in the new year.

Jim intervened to tell the Lady she should not worry because the replays would be back and frankly she hadn't missed many goals at the Lane so far this season
bigwink.gif

The only items of note are as follows and I must say I would rather the manager cut out the humour, this season is not at all funny:

1. Potential Turkish investors.
2. Well within the FFP Rules. Why on earth is that so?!! Now it's me who looks a plonker.:mad::eek:o_O

There must be a major misjudgement here. By all means leave a little in the pot for January, but surely not loads. I always believed Clough had named his budget and got it three times this season. But why were we aiming so low at each stage?

The only rational explanation is that players needed in the Championship could never be attracted into league 1 for a season and so cash is left in the kitty for then. If that is so, and it has been suggested I have to say, then to miss out this season with cash in the bank would be folly.

Last edited:
The only rational explanation is that players needed in the Championship could never be attracted into league 1 for a season and so cash is left in the kitty for then. If that is so, and it has been suggested I have to say, then to miss out this season with cash in the bank would be folly.
It's something they've said many times that the targets will not drop to league one. So the question is should they buy players for a season?
I still believe we aren't far short, a top quality forward and a fit Wallace and we're top two IMHO. As per the other thread £2-3 million on a very good forward wouldn't go a miss.

The screen clearly works in itself. I bet it's something wrong with the feed or software supporting it. Or just a problem between chair and keyboard in the ops room.

The fact that when it was first installed we were regularly treated to the Windows XP screensaver suggests the latter. :)

The screen clearly works in itself. I bet it's something wrong with the feed or software supporting it. Or just a problem between chair and keyboard in the ops room.

The fact that when it was first installed we were regularly treated to the Windows XP screensaver suggests the latter. :)

Wasn't this also a second-hand big-screen that was originally in Darlington's new stadium?

It's tough being the standard bearer of the cult of you isn't it.

No one goes because there's nothing new to hear of note.

It's tough being the standard bearer of the cult of you isn't it.

No one goes because there's nothing new to hear of note.

Any shareholder can ask the Chairmen a direct question about the under-funding you so often talk about. Similarly questions can be asked of the manager about his budgets since last summer. These are the barriers which you are so concerned about. It was raised apparently and it appears that shareholders are content with support from the board. I have attended AGM's in the past when the board representatives have been under strong pressure from the floor. This is all I've been trying to tell you personally for months. It's a new board and we have a new owner who has injected money and the manager is happy with the tools he has been given to do the job. It also looks like he has more cash for January.

Any shareholder can ask the Chairmen a direct question about the under-funding you so often talk about. Similarly questions can be asked of the manager about his budgets since last summer. These are the barriers which you are so concerned about. It was raised apparently and it appears that shareholders are content with support from the board. I have attended AGM's in the past when the board representatives have been under strong pressure from the floor. This is all I've been trying to tell you personally for months. It's a new board and we have a new owner who has injected money and the manager is happy with the tools he has been given to do the job. It also looks like he has more cash for January.

Yes and it also looks like we are well under the FFP rules of which you raised so much issue in the past.

Did you seriously expect Clough to turn round and say anything other than he is happy with the funding? Perhaps a sudden outburst of how we haven't got a pot to piss in or the like? Its all pre managed and no one skis off piste. Yes you can ask all the questions you want but they already know what you are going to ask. Apart from the goals on the scoreboard question of course.

By the way, are you slashing or clapping today? I need to know because it helps my responses.

Are you a shareholder WWF?

Been saying all season we are doing it on the cheap and responses have ranged from initially being insulted and humiliated en masse to now almost total agreement
nice to see a new batch of excuses being made but for me the telling statement was that three signings on "decent" wages wouldn't affect ffp

Which translates as three frees on shit wages

The FA cup semi final was a godsend for them last season. It enabled them to bullshit their way through this season knowing that support would be up. Any normal club would have lined up the same way this season as they ended the last, but not United.
A League Cup Semi final wont do the job this time and it will be forgotten about pretty quickly so more bullshit is required to get ticket sales in for next year. Most clubs would do this by signing quality players that the fans have an immediate or existing affinity with, United on the other hand will use bullshit, followed up by a large helping of bullshit, with bullshit for afters.

Yes and it also looks like we are well under the FFP rules of which you raised so much issue in the past.

Did you seriously expect Clough to turn round and say anything other than he is happy with the funding? Perhaps a sudden outburst of how we haven't got a pot to piss in or the like? Its all pre managed and no one skis off piste. Yes you can ask all the questions you want but they already know what you are going to ask. Apart from the goals on the scoreboard question of course.

By the way, are you slashing or clapping today? I need to know because it helps my responses.

For a start, it's healthy that this thread has covered some issues, rather than withering on the vine.

Clapper or slasher today? Just a supporter who tries to recognise the issues. I reckon I can see when the board are doing their bit and will stick up for them when nonsense is being spouted. Actually there is much less of that these days thankfully. On that topic I suppose I'm a clapper.

I also believe I can recognise when the manager and team are underperforming and think I have a right to pass an opinion. On that topic I suppose I'm a semi-slasher but I don't think my rhetoric is extreme in any way. It's intended to be constructive criticism for what it's worth. Over the 30 games or so it has become evident we are not heading in the direction we think we should be, but there is time yet.

Now then, if you have difficulty recognising which subjects I'm talking about I suppose that's understandable. Maybe it is surprising that a supporter can see the good and the bad in the club and not be a blind clapper or a blind slasher with his head in the sand. Actually I think most supporters are like that but away from a forum like this there is no such eager audience listening to every utterance and struggling to understand how it can be normal. It certainly is normal in my "cult of one"! Consistent I certainly am thank you, until somebody shows me a more credible version and to be honest that's what I'm always searching for on here. We all love to learn things about our club.

As for the manager speaking at the AGM, surely we are all capable of listening to answers and watching body language to detect the real message amongst the actual words used, be it politicians or whoever. We always knew the signals Wilson and Blackwell were sending as excuses.

Been saying all season we are doing it on the cheap and responses have ranged from initially being insulted and humiliated en masse to now almost total agreement
nice to see a new batch of excuses being made but for me the telling statement was that three signings on "decent" wages wouldn't affect ffp

Which translates as three frees on shit wages

May I suggest that everybody including the manager got together at the end of last season and decided what and how much it would take to get the job done and took it from there. It has not gone to plan so they have revised the budget twice.

Just because the FFP Rules allow us to spend a certain amount doesn't mean we have to spend it. The view is probably that such extra money in the kitty is spent on the squad in the Championship. If we don't get there then that's a serious misjudgement for which we will all suffer.

Initially I was surprised to hear the news but I now reckon it makes sense, unless you can convince me otherwise perhaps.

I reckon because of our size and financial standing is why we were pre-season favourites to go up. January is often a time to really make that advantage count, but I must say the failure to sign at least one top striker has been the weakness all season, even allowing for the misjudgement re Higdon and the disappointment of missing out on O'Grady first time round. Plenty more fish in the sea surely. Whether you see that as a management failing or that of a tight board is your choice, but we are heading for a squad of over 30 players soon!

Spend some fucking money.

I know it's a simplistic suggestion and as we all know money doesn't guarantee results but in this case I think it's obviously what's required. Searching around the bargain bin will turn up a few surprises but ultimately if you want quality you have to pay for it. Every signing is a gamble but when a player stands out, you just have to grit your teeth and pay up if you want them. I'm not saying we start throwing stupid fees around for any half decent player, but if someone could really improve the team, then you have to think of the long term benefit rather than the short term cost.

My worry is that neither the board or Clough really like spending and will dismiss all valuations as unthinkable. The transfer market is massively inflated, especially in January, but ultimately that's the reality of doing business in football.

Money doesn't grow on trees - some fans on here think it is free commodity that can be just used at will.

Some of you should try running a business and see how difficult it can be - Sitters, I need your help here.

UTB

The FA cup semi final was a godsend for them last season. It enabled them to bullshit their way through this season knowing that support would be up. Any normal club would have lined up the same way this season as they ended the last, but not United.
A League Cup Semi final wont do the job this time and it will be forgotten about pretty quickly so more bullshit is required to get ticket sales in for next year. Most clubs would do this by signing quality players that the fans have an immediate or existing affinity with, United on the other hand will use bullshit, followed up by a large helping of bullshit, with bullshit for afters.

I bow to no-one in my view that the club has been run appalingly over the last few years, but I don't get this idea that the the powers that be would be looking to "bullshit" the fans to avoid spending money that would make the club a success.

No-one of sound mind would get involved in a third division SUFC in order to make money. The club is a huge financial drain to its owners. The only way to halt that drain and to make some money would be to get in the PL. It is therefore in the interests of the owners to take steps to move that way. There is no way on earth they are content to be languishing in the third division and seeing their bank accounts drained by thousands every week.

Money doesn't grow on trees - some fans on here think it is free commodity that can be just used at will.

Some of you should try running a business and see how difficult it can be - Sitters, I need your help here.

UTB
thanks for clearing that up ,i feel such a fool .now i know that money does not grow on trees (as i just assumed it did )i can relax in the knowledge my club might spend eternity in lg 1

until they do invent a tree that flowers cash how about spending the maguire money the cup money the season ticket money the money from increased shirt sales ?
or do these all go on hidden costs that only worksop entrepreneurs know about and that other football clubs dont have ?

thanks for clearing that up ,i feel such a fool .now i know that money does not grow on trees (as i just assumed it did )i can relax in the knowledge my club might spend eternity in lg 1

until they do invent a tree that flowers cash how about spending the maguire money the cup money the season ticket money the money from increased shirt sales ?
or do these all go on hidden costs that only worksop entrepreneurs know about and that other football clubs dont have ?

Well done - EXACTLY the answer I expected - go to the top of the class.

UTB

I bow to no-one in my view that the club has been run appalingly over the last few years, but I don't get this idea that the the powers that be would be looking to "bullshit" the fans to avoid spending money that would make the club a success.

No-one of sound mind would get involved in a third division SUFC in order to make money. The club is a huge financial drain to its owners. The only way to halt that drain and to make some money would be to get in the PL. It is therefore in the interests of the owners to take steps to move that way. There is no way on earth they are content to be languishing in the third division and seeing their bank accounts drained by thousands every week.

Unless they'd been bullshitted by McCabe

Back
Top Bottom