Adko interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Alfreton14Blade

Reaction score
Sorry to butt in on William Henry territory (especially because I very much like his summaries of Adkins' interviews), but just listened to the latest, & found it very uninspiring tbh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0397nlx

On the plus side, he seems to have recovered his spirits since Tuesday night, sounds upbeat & positive as usual, & sounds committed to the cause & very keen to turn things round.

On the negative side, there's a bit of a tendency to avoid answering difficult questions straight (which would have come in handy right now I feel) & there's not a lot of content about what he actually intends to do.

A bit more of a rallying cry of sorts than any sort of analysis of where we're going wrong & what needs to be done to put it right (other than being passionate).

Suppose the proof will be in the pudding, as to what transpires at Barnsley: full of heart & soul (as seems to be being demanded), or the usual confused/directionless/lacking-intensity muddle...

I'm surprised we haven't gone straight to the source! Fuck James Shield and the rest of the SY media, If there is any issue we all know where is non-match-day office is!!

041661.jpg

I'm surprised we haven't gone straight to the source! Fuck James Shield and the rest of the SY media, If there is any issue we all know where is non-match-day office is!!

041661.jpg

Endcliffe Park?

He goes to feed the ducks and write notes. Do you not listen to the most important parts of his interview!!

Oh, I understand now. No, I've seen plenty this season without listening to the bollocks that comes as part of the package.

Not a bad interview I suppose Alf,but I got a bit worried when he said 'Believe you me'...I hope he didn't bump into a nutter with a placard while feeding the ducks.

Why is he up beat????? Can we please find out what the fuck has changed in 46 hours.

I'm going a bit mad with this epic fuck up of a football club, my club!!!!

041661.jpg
Wonder if that's Adkins new back 4 he's got lined up there.

That's better Nigel. I've asked him to be decisive, he used the word ruthless. I'll accept that

There have been numerous threads and posts since Tuesday night. One (on page5) by TomJonesBlade and ably supported by Highfield, Roy and BladesmanLuke refers to the very least we can expect is the players giving 100%. Without using the term 100%, Nigel refers to passion, drive, ambition. I'll accept that.

A few weeks ago I (rather clumsily) tried to point out that no one at the club understood what it meant to be a Blade. Giving everything. We saw that in abundance during the Warnock years and Bassett years. I know it's only an interview but Adkins seems to understand that as he refers to how the Blades will get behind the team if the players give their all. There won't be any 'you're not fit to wear the shirt' if they all put a shift in.

For all the posts and threads about team selections and tactics, on Saturday if 11 players give everything I've every confidence we'll pick up 3 points.

What a load of jargon and rubbish that was.

What worries me is that at 5mins he said the infamous words "maybe this is the turning point"....football management 101 - never refer to a upcoming game as a "turning point" cus if you lose where do you go from there??? Is the game after that a turning point?

I feel for him as he clearly hasn't got a clue what to do, but he needs to help himself out by talking less and coming out with less crap.

I think if you strip it back the message was:

1) I'm giving everything
2) I'm going nowhere
3) The players aren't giving everything
4) They need to start now
5) if they don't they will be gone
6) The squad is too big and unfit
7) I am going to be ruthless

BUT: If he starts the same 11 Saturday I won't take anything he says says seriously ever again

Feel for the bloke but bit of a corporate speech, but like a few have said, sounds more upbeat. Does he really think this shower are going to go out feeling ten feet tall and giving all for the cause. Losing at home to Bury, Colchester etc should have evoked that reaction but didn't, why should we think things will be an different this time. I have faith in Adkins but none in the squad.

There is no bigger critic of Adkins than myself and I make no secret of the fact that I think it's time we moved him on. However, credit where it's due, I think under the circumstances it was a very reasonable interview and I don't see how he could have said much more bearing in mind the hostility being directed at himself and the team at this moment in time. I think it's come to a make or break situation and you couldn't help but sense this throughout the interview. Everything considered Saturday's game is as big as we've had in recent years. Win and who knows it could against all the odds trigger a revival, lose, especially in a manner that is unacceptable to the fans, then I seriously believe it's curtains for the manager.

041661.jpg

Wow - the amount of times I walked by that pond as a kid - and fed the ducks

Brings back the memories of some special people.

Thanks G&J - not what you intended, but thanks, all the same :)

BUT: If he starts the same 11 Saturday I won't take anything he says says seriously ever again

Which I will be amazed at too tbh – that triple substitution on Tuesday was a pretty clear indication he wasn't at all happy, and once he got his standard twenty or so Adkinsisms out of the way you could clearly hear an angrier guy come the end of the interview.

I did my best, but I couldn't listen to more than six minutes, he just says what he thinks everyone wants to hear, it's all bollocks. Let's see what happens on Saturday.

As an aside, I was speaking to someone who was at the U18 game v Chesterfield, who I have no reason to disbelieve, I was told the mythical Lee Turnbull was there and getting text updates about the first team v Shrewsbury. Apparently, each goal conceded was met with guffaws of laughter by Turnbull and other coaching staff. In my opinion, that response accurately summarises what is currently wrong at Sheffield United, no one gives a fuck, except the fans :(

Sounds to me like Brayford may feature this weekend even if he is just named on the bench.

When he goes on about this squad being too big and unfit, most of us have known that for a while. Clearly he wants to bin a fair amount of these players off but like I have said in other threads who will take them?

Interesting comment at the end about Brayford wanting to play even when injured, seems to suggest other players at the club lack that desire.

I do like the way Adkins can lift himself after a defeat, I just wish the players could do the same.

I did my best, but I couldn't listen to more than six minutes, he just says what he thinks everyone wants to hear, it's all bollocks. Let's see what happens on Saturday.

As an aside, I was speaking to someone who was at the U18 game v Chesterfield, who I have no reason to disbelieve, I was told the mythical Lee Turnbull was there and getting text updates about the first team v Shrewsbury. Apparently, each goal conceded was met with guffaws of laughter by Turnbull and other coaching staff. In my opinion, that response accurately summarises what is currently wrong at Sheffield United, no one gives a fuck, except the fans :(

I'm
Sorry but that about Turnball can't seriously be true

he really needs to drop the anti-depressant high sounding interviews. It's like listening to a politician.

I'm now worried that he's going to play the same useless pricks as Tuesday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom