Adkins' terrible transfers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
Our failure so far comes down to three scenarios:

(A) The board thought the impact of Adkins' arrival with small changes to playing staff would be enough to go from play-offs to automatic. Therefore restricting Adkins with transfers (Adkins still to blame for poor transfer market decisions i.e prioritising strikers over centre back/centre mid). The board are to blame overall here.

(B) The board realised the squad wasn't good enough and large changes were necessary but didn't fancy coughing up to put it right. Therefore restricting Adkins with transfers (Adkins still to blame for poor transfer market decisions i.e prioritising strikers over centre back/centre mid). The board are to blame overall here.

or (C) The board realised the squad wasn't good enough and large changes were necessary, and did sanction enough of a budget to do this but Adkins either (A) - squandered a fair chunk on the signings he made (unnecessary fee for Sharp and large wages for the others), or (B) - he changed his mind on the squad not being good enough (unlikely and disappointing if true) and was arrogant enough to presume his own ability, with minimal additions in low priority areas could take the squad from a play-off to promotion side. Or it could have been a mix of (a) and (b). Adkins is to blame here.

Based on the above, the rest is personal opinion and speculation on where the blame lies.

What i'm 100% certain of is that the whole squad needs a clear out of drastic proportions.

The only one's worthy of keeping:

Howard (as back up)
Harris
Freeman
Brayford
Done
Sharp
Adams

The lot of these need to be payed off and rid of ASAP:

Long
Edgar
Collins
McEveley
Alcock
Basham
J. Wallace
Woolford
Higdon
K. Wallace
McGahey
Cuvelier
Sammon
Diego
Kennedy
McFadzean
JCR
Flynn
Baxter
Reed
Coutts
McNulty
Dimaio - loan
DCL - loan
Whiteman - loan
Kahn - loan

In response to who's to blame so far this season, I would definitely say that the board didn't make available the amount of money required to put the squad right and get rid of the utter garbage we've got in the squad, they wouldn't have had the stomach to invest enough.

But ultimately Adkins' mistakes so far in the transfer market are un-forgivable. Prioritising attack over defence and centre midfield was nothing short of a joke. Any continuation of our recent form has to rest largely by the side of the manager in my view.

I don't know about anyone else but all I've seen from him so far is a lack of both urgency and a sense of priority in the transfer market, both of which have massively jeopardised the slightest of opportunities that was there at the end of last season, (with the money he's now wasted on his current signings), to add key signings and scrape through the automatics despite an incredibly large squad vastly over populated with utter dross. The fact the division this year is mind bogglingly terrible would have helped too.

Adkins has squandered any opportunity he had so far.

(A) The board thought the impact of Adkins' arrival with small changes to playing staff would be enough to go from play-offs to automatic. Therefore restricting Adkins with transfers (Adkins still to blame for poor transfer market decisions i.e prioritising strikers over centre back/centre mid). The board are to blame overall here.

(B) The board realised the squad wasn't good enough and large changes were necessary but didn't fancy coughing up to put it right. Therefore restricting Adkins with transfers (Adkins still to blame for poor transfer market decisions i.e prioritising strikers over centre back/centre mid). The board are to blame overall here.

or (C) The board realised the squad wasn't good enough and large changes were necessary, and did sanction enough of a budget to do this but Adkins either (A) - squandered a fair chunk on the signings he made (unnecessary fee for Sharp and large wages for the others), or (B) - he changed his mind on the squad not being good enough (unlikely and disappointing if true) and was arrogant enough to presume his own ability, with minimal additions in low priority areas could take the squad from a play-off to promotion side. Or it could have been a mix of (a) and (b). Adkins is to blame here.

Based on the above, the rest is personal opinion and speculation on where the blame lies.

What i'm 100% certain of is that the whole squad needs a clear out of drastic proportions.

Howard (as back up)
Harris
Freeman
Brayford
Done
Sharp
Adams

Long
Edgar
Collins
McEveley
Alcock
Basham
J. Wallace
Woolford
Higdon
K. Wallace
McGahey
Cuvelier
Sammon
Diego
Kennedy
McFadzean
JCR
Flynn
Baxter
Reed
Coutts
McNulty
Dimaio - loan
DCL - loan
Whiteman - loan
Kahn - loan

In response to who's to blame so far this season, I would definitely say that the board didn't make available the amount of money required to put the squad right and get rid of the utter garbage we've got in the squad, they wouldn't have had the stomach to invest enough.

But ultimately Adkins' mistakes so far in the transfer market are un-forgivable. Prioritising attack over defence and centre midfield was nothing short of a joke. Any continuation of our recent form has to rest largely by the side of the manager in my view.

I don't know about anyone else but all I've seen from him so far is a lack of both urgency and a sense of priority in the transfer market, both of which have massively jeopardised the slightest of opportunities that was there at the end of last season, (with the money he's now wasted on his current signings), to add key signings and scrape through the automatics despite an incredibly large squad vastly over populated with utter dross. The fact the division this year is mind bogglingly terrible would have helped too.

Around 25 players being paid off. If the average wage is 5 k per week and 3k per week to the end of the season remains unpaid. Just saying as I have no knowledge of who receives what each week, that suggests that there would be
somewhere around 75k per week to the end of the season. IMO there is no possibility of this happening,,we cannot afford it and it would hardly leave us with a team to put out.

Now ,I have to admit that my figures may be way out of kilter. I have already given up on this season where we are 8 points behind a brewery team, with a quarter of the games played.
My hope is that we are not relegated for that seems more likely than promotion, and that next season, Adkins will have been able to sign whomever he wants.

Howard (as back up)
Harris
Freeman
Brayford
Done
Sharp
Adams

Long
Edgar
Collins
McEveley
Alcock
Basham
J. Wallace
Woolford
Higdon
K. Wallace
McGahey
Cuvelier
Sammon
Diego
Kennedy
McFadzean
JCR
Flynn
Baxter
Reed
Coutts
McNulty
Dimaio - loan
DCL - loan
Whiteman - loan
Kahn - loan

Im surprised by your list of players to release that you include someone who you are on first name terms with!

We're in league one, there is no way that all of those 25 players aren't good enough to be playing at this level. If we released them, the majority would be signed by league one clubs ffs!

The fact that we are currently 7th shows that we don't need to completely rip the entire squad a part. A couple of keys signing (3 or 4 if up to me) would make a great difference.

Your saying only keep 7 players and 2 of those haven't even played this season and another came on as sub for his first appearance yesterday. How shit are the other teams in this division if we're in 7th having played with a squad with only 4 players good enough for this level?

Howard (as back up)
Harris
Freeman
Brayford
Done
Sharp
Adams

Long
Edgar
Collins
McEveley
Alcock
Basham
J. Wallace
Woolford
Higdon
K. Wallace
McGahey
Cuvelier
Sammon
Diego
Kennedy
McFadzean
JCR
Flynn
Baxter
Reed
Coutts
McNulty
Dimaio - loan
DCL - loan
Whiteman - loan
Kahn - loan

I would rather we had signed Clarke other than Billy but ultimately I was happy enough when Billy signed for us. I think overall though Barney, you have got it spot on. To be honest we were weak all over the park but especially in defence & midfield, which as you rightly say, should have been the key areas to concentrate on. Frustratingly we have players such as Baxter & Basham who on the rare occasions they put their minds to it can turn in class displays but as with the vast majority of the squad are totally and utterly inconsistent. Every transfer/loan window we approach, has fans on the edge of their seats praying for decent additions to the squad, but we move along our transfer dealings at snails pace, whilst continuing to haemorrhage points. Rarely the pace setters United, always wanting to play catch up, hoping we can fuck up in the play offs as usual.

Howard (as back up)
Harris
Freeman
Brayford
Done
Sharp
Adams

Long
Edgar
Collins
McEveley
Alcock
Basham
J. Wallace
Woolford
Higdon
K. Wallace
McGahey
Cuvelier
Sammon
Diego
Kennedy
McFadzean
JCR
Flynn
Baxter
Reed
Coutts
McNulty
Dimaio - loan
DCL - loan
Whiteman - loan
Kahn - loan

You really got up at 4.55am to post this? On a Sunday? You really ought to go seek help.

Around 25 players being paid off. If the average wage is 5 k per week and 3k per week to the end of the season remains unpaid. Just saying as I have no knowledge of who receives what each week, that suggests that there would be
somewhere around 75k per week to the end of the season. IMO there is no possibility of this happening,,we cannot afford it and it would hardly leave us with a team to put out.

Now ,I have to admit that my figures may be way out of kilter. I have already given up on this season where we are 8 points behind a brewery team, with a quarter of the games played.
My hope is that we are not relegated for that seems more likely than promotion, and that next season, Adkins will have been able to sign whomever he wants.

Bit early to give up on promotion Sirius but I can understand why you feel that way. The problem is that we think this squad is a potential promotion winning one when in truth we have seen that it is no more than a mid table outfit. Sadly, the right signings were out their prior to the season kicking off, but we always go for the wrong options. People looked down their noses at suggestions of Clarke & Cole, both of whom are continuing to score at will, whilst Connor cannot buy a goal, which is a surprise really given how free scoring he has been in the past o_O. Lets hope the penny finally drops and some decent new blood is brought in January.

The squad ought to be up at this time making their way to the training ground for a 12 hour session.

Whilst I don't argue the point you are making in essence what would it prove? My point for years has been we (and others) keep changing managers but players get away with murder week in, week out. What we actually need is to keep the manager and get rid of the players but that takes time and no one seems to think we have any of that. Look at the threads about Adkins already. Don't we think he is any good now? 3 months ago we were wanking into paper cups about how we had the best manager for the job and the last bloke was a tosser. When Clough arrived the bloke before was shite, the bloke before that and the bloke before that ad nauseum. Appears few people appear to realise the 11 blokes on the pitch generally are the ones who win you games week in week out, but while they are all getting fat pay cheques (even at this level) that keep them in a nice life with a nice car and house etc why would they really give a fuck?

These players on 2/3 year contracts know that we get through a manager every season so if they don't like this one another one is along in a minute. Amazing how many of them up their game when its the last year of their contract.

Just a thought.

Whilst I don't argue the point you are making in essence what would it prove? My point for years has been we (and others) keep changing managers but players get away with murder week in, week out. What we actually need is to keep the manager and get rid of the players but that takes time and no one seems to think we have any of that. Look at the threads about Adkins already. Don't we think he is any good now? 3 months ago we were wanking into paper cups about how we had the best manager for the job and the last bloke was a tosser. When Clough arrived the bloke before was shite, the bloke before that and the bloke before that ad nauseum. Appears few people appear to realise the 11 blokes on the pitch generally are the ones who win you games week in week out, but while they are all getting fat pay cheques (even at this level) that keep them in a nice life with a nice car and house etc why would they really give a fuck?

These players on 2/3 year contracts know that we get through a manager every season so if they don't like this one another one is along in a minute. Amazing how many of them up their game when its the last year of their contract.

Just a thought.

Spot on Bladesway. I got the impression listening to Nigel yesterday that it was a case of him being told " Get us promoted this season or else", whilst receiving very little backing from the board. I hope that isn't the case. He has had a difficult task from the beginning and may take more than a season for him to put right.

Spot on Bladesway. I got the impression listening to Nigel yesterday that it was a case of him being told " Get us promoted this season or else", whilst receiving very little backing from the board. I hope that isn't the case. He has had a difficult task from the beginning and may take more than a season for him to put right.

And you think "Or else what" if you are Adkins don't you? He won't be the first to be paid off after a season but as per my previous post what does that achieve? Nothing as I see it.

Can't deny that we have a relatively weak team, pretty much most will not cut it in the league above on current viewing.
Most will need to be let go, hopefully get rid of a few on frees in January.
Don't agree with putting Reed on the get rid list, the kids a great potential at his age, but is going to be hard season for him with the inconsistency of his team mates.

Can we afford another season in this division? I am guessing after this season Higdon, Howard, Alcock, Collins, Wallace, Baxter, McGahey, McFadzean, Sammon (loan), JCR, Cuvellier, Edgar (loan) would all be out of contract leaving sparing probably about 30k a week in wages. you would be left with...

Long, Brayford, Kennedy, Harris, Flynn, Done, Adams, Sharp, McNulty, Basham, Coutts, Scougall, Sharp, Woolford, Reed, K Wallace, Diego.

Team without any recruitment would be

Long
Brayford Kennedy Basham Harris
Flynn Reed Coutts Done
Sharp McNulty

Bench - K Wallace, Scougall, Woolford, Diego

That team there is as good as the one what went out yesterday and you have 30k a week in wages to bring in players that we need.

First Choice Keeper
1 or 2 CBs
Holding midfielder
Striker

Basically a spine. We are on the verge of wasting 2 seasons since Clough came in and nearly got us to the play offs and did get us to the FA Cup semi. It's sickening that people like Mal Brannigan and Jim Phipps are running this club into the ground, when 90% of us see what we need. Their mistakes so they need to fix it or fuck off.

In response to the OP, the way Adkins recruited made me think that he had funds for another 2 players but those fund were taken away from him. He went after those players he knew first and then Edgar, but before he could bring in the 2/3 more (and he dallied with the possibility of Hammond and Burn), further transfers were blocked. It's the only explanation I can think of for the way it was done.

Or put it this way. If you have got to feed a family of four for a week on £20 you're going to end up shopping in Jack Fultons rather than Waitrose.....

I am amazed that anyone is still paying attention to anything Phipps says.

Like Clough is Adkins and his staff , on a steep learning curve , of how league 1 is now , not how it was years ago

Just a thought.

UTB.

It never fails to amaze me just how keen so many of our fans want to write us off and with such speed
we havent got a quarter of the way through the season and already we are being written off with only 106 points available
I look at the table and we seem 7th but the reaction is more like that we are in 17th
Every player at the club is now suddenly useless
There is no ambition in the club lft either

I see 1 win in 6 is a bad run of results but its not season defining , its thewake up call to the squad to improve
not the death knell of the season
of course its frustrating but its not terminal as some suggest
lets pick up our toys and put them back in the pram its a long walk home

It never fails to amaze me just how keen so many of our fans want to write us off and with such speed
we havent got a quarter of the way through the season and already we are being written off with only 106 points available
I look at the table and we seem 7th but the reaction is more like that we are in 17th
Every player at the club is now suddenly useless
There is no ambition in the club lft either

I see 1 win in 6 is a bad run of results but its not season defining , its thewake up call to the squad to improve
not the death knell of the season
of course its frustrating but its not terminal as some suggest
lets pick up our toys and put them back in the pram its a long walk home
History has proven Theyre always right though arent they ?

No one wrote us off under basset when we didnt win a game till the week before xmas
You know why because the players never stopped giving their all and we as fans respond to that

These wankers think if tgey look like archytypal footballers with the flash car beard number one and sleeves no one will notice them phoning in performances week in week out

While erstwhile tryers are turning them over with ease and actually improving their careers and their club

Back
Top Bottom