Adams & DCL - A Positive View

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
I'd sell Che and/or DCL purely on the basis of the stupid money being banded around, of which neither are worth at this very moment IMO. That extra money can be used to make three or four top signings in the key positions still left to fill. However, there's no reason why both can't be kept, and I'd be more than open to that possibility for the following reasons:

I've always been fond of Adams - he's always a direct and very exciting player. Every time he gets on the ball, there's a reasonable chance something's going to happen. He's confident, strong, has pace, and also has an eye for goal. Considering he was played as both striker and a winger last season, a goal tally of 12 was very good. That also, whilst surrounded by the utter dross that was last seasons squad.

He's said LM is his favoured position. With a much better set of players around him this season, there's no reason why he can't match or better that playing LM only. And 12 goals from that position would be an excellent return.

DCL I have always been critical of, as he's never really seemed up to speed with what's required as a league one striker. Very little evidence to go on I know, however having seen his goal yesterday, it opened my eyes slightly.

As I said on another thread, the technique to control the cross as he did, on the chest, and head home without it even touching the deck was outstanding. He also looks incredibly fast and athletic. Wilder will obviously know all about him from his time at Northampton. He could push on and become a regular, and a consistent goalscorer this season.

It's a balancing act on whether to sell at the moment, but if we keep them, I can see both players being very well sought after at the end of the season.

Mccabe said we are not a selling club anymore and we have "game changing investment".

I've always liked DCL,last season he seemed to be the only player we had who could direct the ball with his head, or win and use a high ball from a goal kick against a C/H, and that is while he's still a novice, very good prospect for me, Adams went backwards under Adkins and I think both will benefit from another season under Wilder....

He also said that "Santa is real" and that "he's seen the stig naked", all we know is, he's a lying cunt!!

It's simple for me, take the stupid money on offer for Adams and keep DCL, who I think is probably a better prospect, and can take Adams' place in the squad this season.

DCL is a natural footballer physically. Yes he's quick and fairly tall, but more than that he's agile, nimble and always looks sharp. He seems to have a very good mentality which is a massive thing. As you can see with his assist for Sharp's first yesterday, he's not selfish and has good awareness. He seems to have a good football brain, which is no surprise given that he's played in central midfield too. He's played in every attacking position and seems naturally versatile. He's proven he can score goals.
It would be a massive shame not to see what we can get out of him this season, not to see more of him. And if we get decent money for Adams, selling him would be totally unnecessary.

Injured? I wonder whose cracking idea it was to sign a bloke that has just recovered from a broken leg. Che's attitude problem lets him down. If he doesn't want to put the effort in, I'm sure there's plenty more youngsters that will. He should only get a place when he starts to really show he's learnt from his mistakes, I don't suppose that can happen in a week.

:eek:

While I agree if one of them had to go I would rather it was Adams, but I would still like to see both of them here next season. because I have to admit, I've been wrong before...
But I still think DCL will be a cracker.......

Every time he gets on the ball, there's a reasonable chance something's going to happen.

Can't agree, I'm afraid. That drop of the shoulder shite he tries every other time the ball comes his way rarely works. I don't know if he's a confidence player or what, but the reason many on here are happy to let him go elsewhere (for the right price) is because he didn't show enough last season to get us attached to him en masse.

I personally think I'm happy either way. If we sell, it'll be for big bucks which is clearly good for us. If he stays, fine. It means 10 goals or more.

I'd sell Che and/or DCL purely on the basis of the stupid money being banded around, of which neither are worth at this very moment IMO. That extra money can be used to make three or four top signings in the key positions still left to fill. However, there's no reason why both can't be kept, and I'd be more than open to that possibility for the following reasons:

I've always been fond of Adams - he's always a direct and very exciting player. Every time he gets on the ball, there's a reasonable chance something's going to happen. He's confident, strong, has pace, and also has an eye for goal. Considering he was played as both striker and a winger last season, a goal tally of 12 was very good. That also, whilst surrounded by the utter dross that was last seasons squad.

He's said LM is his favoured position. With a much better set of players around him this season, there's no reason why he can't match or better that playing LM only. And 12 goals from that position would be an excellent return.

DCL I have always been critical of, as he's never really seemed up to speed with what's required as a league one striker. Very little evidence to go on I know, however having seen his goal yesterday, it opened my eyes slightly.

As I said on another thread, the technique to control the cross as he did, on the chest, and head home without it even touching the deck was outstanding. He also looks incredibly fast and athletic. Wilder will obviously know all about him from his time at Northampton. He could push on and become a regular, and a consistent goalscorer this season.

It's a balancing act on whether to sell at the moment, but if we keep them, I can see both players being very well sought after at the end of the season.

A team wanting to progress doesn't sell it's better players.

Your forgetting one thing though..........McCabe!!

Selling your most valuable asset, irrespective of your opinions of Adams, weakens our prospects of promotion. Period.

But we are a L1 club with relatively limited resources and our most valuable assets are gonna get picked off wether we like it or not.

Good luck to the lad.

I wish we could turn a profit in this way with all our players.

Bought for peanuts, served the club well and sold for a huge profit.

UTB

I'd like to argue we very very rarely get 'stupid money for players' - barely even get par value

League 2 players last year have gone for 3m this summer. Let hope the board (when they sell) actually remember this and hold out for genuine stupid money.

It's hard enough to go up without selling or best player year after year. Especially if we want a squad capable of staying up after

A team wanting to progress doesn't sell it's better players.

It does if it can make itself stronger overall. What everyone is missing is that Chris Wilder and Alan Knill quite clearly want this deal to go through so they can do some pretty ambitious deals with the dosh. Surely that counts for something? Or do we want fans on the internet running the club now?

I'd sell Che and/or DCL purely on the basis of the stupid money being banded around, of which neither are worth at this very moment IMO. That extra money can be used to make three or four top signings in the key positions still left to fill.

That talkin' twaddle Barnykins
If stoopid money is being banded about, then it will take stoopid money to get any top signings wainit?!!!

"That extra money can be used to make three or four top signings in the key positions"

It could.....

Couple of points, firstly if we get 3m for Adams why does anyone think it will get spent? Remember Harry, Murphy and all the others.

Secondly if we get 3m for Adams the cost of anyone we are interested in will sky rocket.

Likely outcome is we will sell Adams and weaken the squad , history tells us this is the case so where is the evidence it will be different this time ?

There seems to be a general consensus of "he's not that good anyway" and that he won't make it and £3m is a lot of money for him.

Please point out to me how many other 20 year old strikers we've had that have been better and done more than him by his age? What other prospects in a forward position have we brought through ourselves that have done better than him in the first team? He's TWENTY years old and already stronger and faster than almost all of our other players. His finishing is decent if not perfect and he has all the potential to go right to the top. £3m... Newcastle will be the ones laughing when they sell him on for 3 times that amount.

I seriously reckon a lot of our fans are stuck in a time warp where inflation doesn't exist and the first £1m transfers have started to happen. Delusional. They're not silly money offers being flung around in football, they're offers that meet the valuation of players in July of 2016. Whilever we have "supporters" accepting such rubbish the board will keep providing and down and down we'll slide.

Good luck Che, you make a name for yourself. As for the blades, let's hope we can spend the 300k we'll give to Wilder, wisely. No doubt we can warm up the "we will not be held to ransom" excuses for not signing a replacement because the selling club knows we have money. I look forward to a weakening of the first team.

There seems to be a general consensus of "he's not that good anyway" and that he won't make it and £3m is a lot of money for him.

Please point out to me how many other 20 year old strikers we've had that have been better and done more than him by his age? What other prospects in a forward position have we brought through ourselves that have done better than him in the first team? He's TWENTY years old and already stronger and faster than almost all of our other players. His finishing is decent if not perfect and he has all the potential to go right to the top. £3m... Newcastle will be the ones laughing when they sell him on for 3 times that amount.

I seriously reckon a lot of our fans are stuck in a time warp where inflation doesn't exist and the first £1m transfers have started to happen. Delusional. They're not silly money offers being flung around in football, they're offers that meet the valuation of players in July of 2016. Whilever we have "supporters" accepting such rubbish the board will keep providing and down and down we'll slide.

Good luck Che, you make a name for yourself. As for the blades, let's hope we can spend the 300k we'll give to Wilder, wisely. No doubt we can warm up the "we will not be held to ransom" excuses for not signing a replacement because the selling club knows we have money. I look forward to a weakening of the first team.
That was before Chris Wilder came in whatever he gets to spend ( if Adams goes) he will spend it wisely
on improving the team.The recruitment so far has been good with a way of playing (plan in mind)
that will be more exciting than we've
had for a number of years bring it on.

That was before Chris Wilder came in whatever he gets to spend ( if Adams goes) he will spend it wisely
on improving the team.The recruitment so far has been good with a way of playing (plan in mind)
that will be more exciting than we've
had for a number of years bring it on.
Wrong, doesn't matter who the manager is you can't sell a £3m player and reinvest £300k and improve the team....remember Murphy and Woolford ? Harry and McEverly ? etc etc Wilder is a Blades supporting lower league manager not a magician !

Luke is right the game has moved on , the TV revenue is astronomical, £150m for finishing bottom of the premiership. Player valuations have rocketed and the Geordie's have just pocketed 25m plus for that Dutch lad and will likely receive a fortune for the French international midfielder and most of our support is wetting it's pants at them giving us

Oh bleeding hell just read Alan Knill's quote to James Shield regarding Leon Clarke , to quote " there's always room for improvement " oh no the dreaded phrase !!! Are we doomed. ?

Oh bleeding hell just read Alan Knill's quote to James Shield regarding Leon Clarke , to quote " there's always room for improvement " oh no the dreaded phrase !!! Are we doomed. ?
Ah but he didn't say the biggest room
a small difference but significant.

So what do you suggest then, that we keep a young player who has so many weaknesses and is far from a key player and continue to shop in the bargain bin despite needing at least four first team signings?

What we've done in the past is irrelevant. Not selling for the sake of not selling would be stupid - cutting our nose to spite our face.

Adams could be absolutely fucking shit and some would still complain if we sold him for £3m, because obviously every sale is automatically a bad sale.

He's certainly become a much better player with every passing day in the last month or so. The delusional ones are those who think he's worth more than £3m. They're not basing that on anything they saw on the pitch last season, that's for sure.
People might point to Kemar Roofe going for £3m... Oxford only got £1.8m after West Brom took their percentage with the sell on clause.

If Newcastle did sell him for a good profit that would be great for us if we had anything like a 20% sell on - it would take the total fee to an amount well in excess of what he could possibly be worth at this point in time. And in our situation we have to live in the present, what he might be worth in the future is secondary.

It would be silly to suggest Che Adams is worth anything less than £3mil in a world where Bournemouth have just bid £6mil for a Liverpool academy left back who has played 5 first team games.

Che is a great prospect.
DCL much the same, wasn't sold on him until the other day - but he was exceptional. If he keeps that level of performance up he's one of the first names on the teamsheet next season.

It does if it can make itself stronger overall. What everyone is missing is that Chris Wilder and Alan Knill quite clearly want this deal to go through so they can do some pretty ambitious deals with the dosh. Surely that counts for something? Or do we want fans on the internet running the club now?

How you know this about Wilder and Knill and when have we ever done this?

Quite.

If I were United I would laugh in the faces of any team that offered less than 5 million for Adams.

Is he worth that? I don't know. But these clubs are swimming in money. If we are to sell (and I would not, if it were up to me) we should get a proper payday for once.

If they won't come up with silly money - well, tough. He can stay and try to help us win promotion, which will be worth a lot more than 3 million to us.

So what do you suggest then, that we keep a young player who has so many weaknesses and is far from a key player and continue to shop in the bargain bin despite needing at least four first team signings?

What we've done in the past is irrelevant. Not selling for the sake of not selling would be stupid - cutting our nose to spite our face.

Adams could be absolutely fucking shit and some would still complain if we sold him for £3m, because obviously every sale is automatically a bad sale.

He's certainly become a much better player with every passing day in the last month or so. The delusional ones are those who think he's worth more than £3m. They're not basing that on anything they saw on the pitch last season, that's for sure.
People might point to Kemar Roofe going for £3m... Oxford only got £1.8m after West Brom took their percentage with the sell on clause.

If Newcastle did sell him for a good profit that would be great for us if we had anything like a 20% sell on - it would take the total fee to an amount well in excess of what he could possibly be worth at this point in time. And in our situation we have to live in the present, what he might be worth in the future is secondary.

Not selling would not be for the sake of not selling.

It would be not selling to allow one of our best players to play for us this season.

Back
Top Bottom