A Sports shop on Bramall Lane???

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fulwood Blade

Reaction score
The 50 years ago thread got me thinking about a sports shop on Bramall Lane - or I think there was one and was wondering if some of the "old Blades can help me out.

My grand parents used to live on Margaret Street, just a stones throw from BDTBL so knew the area very well - St Mary's church yard was where I took his dog for a walk and before we all had to pick up the dog poo!

Anyway, seeing as I was mad about football (Grandad was a piggy fan btw, so I so the light early doors) I seem to remember going to a sports shop on Bramall Lane. I reckon it was next to or near to the Cricketers pub. It was one of the old fashioned types of shops (youngsters wouldn't even know what I mean) where there were things all over the place, wooden floors and you could get loads of sports stuff - have case balls stitched, get replacement screw in studs (no blades on boots in those days!) and liniment oil etc etc

Anyway, put a 58 year old out of his misery - was it there, or am I imagining things?, anyone know who owned it? Why was it knocked down? Was there more stops there? Old Photographs anyone?

UTB

Used to be a choice between Jack Archers, Suggs at Cambridge Arcade or Darlows on West Street just behind Barclays Bank (nr the Swim inn). Football boots, caseys, and kits -- they probably did a roaring trade in September when all the kids had to buy their kits in the football house colours.

Darlow's on West Street; I'd forgotten that place! Mainly Cricket gear is my memory of that place.

I have a vague memory of Jack Archer's, being taken in by my Dad for a United shirt or may have even been one of those old heavy duty cotton training tops
(I remember buying a similar black cotton training top for my eldest lad in Suggs years later and getting the wife to stitch on a Blades badge for him - so it's not the first time I've customized some Blades wear! ;)).
Suggs near the Co-op was the main sports shop for me as a teenager, although the one on the Moor was much bigger and with a wide range of sporting gear.

And now we have Mike Ashley's Sports Emporium and it's it's wonderful range of discounted Sondico wear :D

That lad on the Chopper bike could have been me!!!
jackarcher1975.jpg

Darlow's on West Street; I'd forgotten that place! Mainly Cricket gear is my memory of that place.

I have a vague memory of Jack Archer's, being taken in by my Dad for a United shirt or may have even been one of those old heavy duty cotton training tops
(I remember buying a similar black cotton training top for my eldest lad in Suggs years later and getting the wife to stitch on a Blades badge for him - so it's not the first time I've customized some Blades wear! ;)).
Suggs near the Co-op was the main sports shop for me as a teenager, although the one on the Moor was much bigger and with a wide range of sporting gear.

And now we have Mike Ashley's Sports Emporium and it's it's wonderful range of discounted Sondico wear :D

That lad on the Chopper bike could have been me!!!
jackarcher1975.jpg
The 50 years ago thread got me thinking about a sports shop on Bramall Lane - or I think there was one and was wondering if some of the "old Blades can help me out.

My grand parents used to live on Margaret Street, just a stones throw from BDTBL so knew the area very well - St Mary's church yard was where I took his dog for a walk and before we all had to pick up the dog poo!

Anyway, seeing as I was mad about football (Grandad was a piggy fan btw, so I so the light early doors) I seem to remember going to a sports shop on Bramall Lane. I reckon it was next to or near to the Cricketers pub. It was one of the old fashioned types of shops (youngsters wouldn't even know what I mean) where there were things all over the place, wooden floors and you could get loads of sports stuff - have case balls stitched, get replacement screw in studs (no blades on boots in those days!) and liniment oil etc etc

Anyway, put a 58 year old out of his misery - was it there, or am I imagining things?, anyone know who owned it? Why was it knocked down? Was there more stops there? Old Photographs anyone?

UTB

UTB
Im sure House of Barrington was a sport shop some where around there and he supplied our kit once. It was a HOBOTT kit.

Dubbin, Fiery Jack and Linseed Oil - try telling the kids of today, they'll never believe you.

Have you overlooked the other sports shop just a short walk away on London Road being Hagan and Brook.
Not sure when they opened it but would suggest around 1970.
UTB

Have you overlooked the other sports shop just a short walk away on London Road being Hagan and Brook.
Not sure when they opened it but would suggest around 1970.
UTB

I can't remember the Hagan Brook shop but I am sure I recall my dad talking about it. This jogged my memory to think of another shop on Abbeydale Road - was it Summers and Pace. Never remember buying anything from there.

What about the bike? Not the one with the drop down handlebars, the other one. It could be a Rudge Roadster, with a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed. Plus chainguard.... I have no idea.

Do bicycle clips still exist? I could do with a pair for when I'm mowing the lawn....

Im sure House of Barrington was a sport shop some where around there and he supplied our kit once. It was a HOBOTT kit.

and I think it stood for House Of Barrington Official Team Top.

Thanks for all the contributions - Jack Archers - thanks for that, and releasing it from my memory.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom