a good player for the blades in the 80s

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bladestrivia

Reaction score
this is the decade were i followed the blades all over the country start with the keepers always thought keith waugh was a decent keeper division 4 season later on hans segers was very good when we had him on loan defence aiways liked joe bolton and stan the man and tony kenworthy midfield glenn cockrell dennis mortomer were good players and up front edwards and morris mel eves was decent as well

Waugh- good shot stopper but didn't like coming off his line and not comfortable dealing crosses.
Stancliffe- a real leader for us, similar type to Morgan, played a big part in helping us gain promotion but I think he only played 1 game, the first match of the season back in the top flight for us.
Cockerill- easily one of our best players of the 80's but rarely gets a mention amongst Blades and doesn't get the recognition he deserves.
Edwards- goal machine, pure and simple. Similarities to Billy Sharp, not quick, not physical, no tricks and needed setting up. Better finisher than Sharp but Sharp works much harder as Keith was quite lazy and only came alive when the ball was near the box.
Kenworthy- for a defender always had this air of arrogance and class about him. Not sure if I'm imagining this but I'm sure he used to pretend to pass back to the keeper then do a Crueff turn fooling the winger.

Players not mentioned
Peter Beagrie- talented player but wasn't consistent enough, when in the mood one of our best players of the 80's, famous for his drag back when just about to cross, defenders used to fall for it all the time.

Tracey
Wilder Stancliffe Kenworthy Bolton
Morris Cockerill Kuhl Beagrie
Deane Edwards
Subs:- Burridge, Garner, MacPhail, Bryson, Whitehouse, Hatton, Agana

Tracey
Deane Edwards
sure tracy was 90s 1 segers 2 wilder 3 bolton 4 kenworthy 5 stancliffe 6 mortomer 7 morris 8 cockrell 9 edwards 10 deane 11 agana 12 hatton

sure tracy was 90s 1 segers 2 wilder 3 bolton 4 kenworthy 5 stancliffe 6 mortomer 7 morris 8 cockrell 9 edwards 10 deane 11 agana 12 hatton

Nope. Tracey signed for us in 1988 and was part of the double promotion winning team with Deane and Agana.

Glenn Cockerill was an awesome part of Ian Porterfield's team, as was another of my favourite players and unsung heroes, Mike Trusson.

Truss wasn't the most skillful midfielder but would run through brick walls for the Blades and would also chip in with the odd goal. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the 125 dinner and he seemed really touched when I told him how much I rated him as a player, Top bloke he was too.

Glenn Cockerill was an awesome part of Ian Porterfield's team, as was another of my favourite players and unsung heroes, Mike Trusson.

Truss wasn't the most skillful midfielder but would run through brick walls for the Blades and would also chip in with the odd goal. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the 125 dinner and he seemed really touched when I told him how much I rated him as a player, Top bloke he was too.
remember him playing for plymouth against us scoring twice in a 4 0 defeat and yes he was a good player

Tracey
Deane Edwards

Can't disagree with much of that team. As Blackheath Blade said, Trusson was a very underrated player good engine, good in the air, good in the tackle, decent shot as well. Didn't have the quality of Kuhl or Cockerill but I'd have him on the bench for Bryson.

Agree with much of the above.

Cockerill very near the top of my all time favourites list.

How good would he have been in a decent team.

Can't disagree with much of that team. As Blackheath Blade said, Trusson was a very underrated player good engine, good in the air, good in the tackle, decent shot as well. Didn't have the quality of Kuhl or Cockerill but I'd have him on the bench for Bryson.
Only one flaw in that argument.

When was the 7 subs bench introduced? ;)

Tracey
Deane Edwards
Martin Khul? He was nails! I seem to remember us signing him from Pompey or Birmingham. He looked a poser with his new wave blonde flickover, but he was far from it.

What about Ken Mcnaught?? I remember us singing "He's the best player the Blades ever bought":)

Glenn Cockerill was a real favourite of mine
Loved United as well

I remember him scoring the winner for Southampton at the swill after we'd given him away

He said "that goal was for Unitedites everywhere"

He didn't play many games for us but Alan Roberts was fantastic down the right wing. A big reason why we scored so many goals in the early part of our promotion season.

Back
Top Bottom