7pts from August - as expected?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

mattbianco1

Forum Royalty
Reaction score
The fixture list wasn't the "kindest" to be fair.

I think I would've been expecting 8pts from the games we had with 2 home wins and a draw at Coventry + one other so all in all, we've not done bad. We've played the 3 nearest rivals (according to the bookies) and come out relatively unscathed, surely it's downhill from here?!?!

The team is starting to gel together and I think we have come out well against our rivals despite all the changes to the team.

If he'd have put out proper teams in the first two league games I think we'd be looking at least 11 points. Given we were pre-season favourites to go up 11 points out of 15 would have been about right.

That said the last 4 games would suggest we're starting to hit our straps. Some proper decent signings before the end of the transfer window would give us another push in the right direction.

I had said 4-6 points over the last 3 games so glad to be exceeding expectations.

I predicted nine, but I've always been a greedy basket...Spammers game makes up for it a bit ;)

7 pts is not a great return, but in that we've played tough sides like Preston (6th, 9pts), Bristol C (9th, 8pts) and Peterborough (top, 12pts). In those games we've picked up 4 points, encouragingly the win was against Peterborough away. The are other teams to watch though. Notably fleetwood and Chesterfield.

Still far too early, but Peterborough apart, we're probably just below where we should be. I think 9-11 points would've been s decent target, but we've had some players struggling to find form, fitness and the team hasn't gelled immediately.

But they sound like the fitness is coming, yesterday would have been a great run out for the likes of Jose, JCR and Higdon who've probably needed game time, Higdon sounds the only disappointment from that lot after a good debut. His fitness and sharpness will come though. International break will help him.

After the break we need to kick on. As well as Higdon, Wallace, Flynn, McGinn, Scougall and butler need all need to be pushing hard. Rochdale are struggling, so we'd expect a win

For a promotion run you should look to average 2 points per game, so on that score yes we are a little behind, we should be on 10 after 5 games but as pointed out we won't be playing 3 of the top promotion rivals every 5 games.
Granted no games should be taken lightly and it is a long season but if we continue to improve, score a few more goals I don't see why we shouldn't be in the mix for automatic promotion.
I think it was swissblade said not until end of August defence will be settled and probably sept/oct before the whole team is bedded in and firing as a unit,
We are far from "up against it" yesterday's performance was very encouraging against a team I think not many will take any points from at their place, so IMHO things are looking quite good with room for improvement AND with clough talking of more incomings/loans can we maybe drain the negativity a little and look forward to a few fitter players (higdon, butler and scougal) after the international break.
The futures bright, the futures red and white.
UTB

Nothing is won and lost in August. I tipped us to go up as champions this season, although i did have a feeling given the amount of new players and the difficult start we had been given i did have an inkling we would get off to a sluggish start which has happened.

For me the huge positive is now we are looking like a stronger and more cohesive unit since the first couple of games, and are now unbeaten in the last 4 games. Confidence seems to be returning to the side, and i think that putting West Ham out of the League Cup will do wonders for the side in much the same way last seasons cup run did.

Looking at the fixtures i expect us to have a decent September, and be a lot stronger in October and November, before being right up there in the mixer come christmas time.

Nothing is won and lost in August.

Except for the Community Shield.......

Seven points from the teams we've played in August isn't a bad return, although it could be better. But as we've played other teams tipped for promotion we've also denied them points. We shall see how September turns out.

Yes we've played good sides, so depending on where you expect us to finish we've had a reasonable start. However, the reason we failed to go up in our second season was our results against the other top sides. We lost twice to charlton, once to Huddersfield, and lost one and drew against pigs. I've always thought we'd be challenging top 6, but we really should be collecting more points against the top sides if we want to be in the automatic spots come may. However, as I didn't think we'd be there anyway, I am fairly pleased with out start. September should be even better.

I saw Chezzy v MK Dons the other night and both were poor.

Chezzy have a good midfield (Morsey could be a great player) but have nothing at all to worry anyone up front over a full season IMO.

Having seen us get well and truly battered pre-season at Burton, we seem to be getting better with every game.

Great opportunity to build on this with next couple of games against teams in bottom quartile of League 1.

Onward and upwards
This has a lot to do with it.Cloughy gave them an extended rest because of our season before and it put us behind a lot of teams,but i think now we are beginning to see something in the way of better fitness,and performance,especially after yesterday and the West Ham game.Aslong as the performances carry on to get better and better,we will reap the rewards,not forgetting the odd blip along the way.Keep it up lads.

AND with clough talking of more incomings/loans can we maybe drain the negativity a little and look forward to a few fitter players (higdon, butler and scougal) after the international break.
The futures bright, the futures red and white.
UTB
Good post Rollerball apart from the negativity quote.I haven't sensed any negativity for a few weaks now,you get the odd person but you're going to get them at every club no matter what happens.

As for Cloughy talking about the incomings,lets see if the board back him,or whether it will be just that,talk,i really hope they back the bloke,he deserves it.

Back
Top Bottom