7 Reasons Why Cloughie Should Stay Even If We Flop in the Play-offs

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bohemian

Reaction score
1. Given where we were 18 months ago, his account remains just about in credit despite a disappointing league season.

2. His signings have been generally positive and have improved the team.

3. He has shown he can improve existing players, e.g. Maguire (very poor under Weir) and Murphy – both rejuvenated by Clough

4. He builds from bottom-up, ensuring a regular flow of homegrown talent is being nurtured

5. He understands the value of keeping possession if we want to compete in the leagues above

6. MK Dons finished 5th, 8th and 10th under Robinson, in the last three seasons – patience can be rewarded!

7. Finding a better replacement would not be easy. Given the focus many Clough knockers place on track record, how many would have welcomed Steve Cotterill or Karl Robinson with open arms?

1. Given where we were 12 months ago, we've gone nowhere, our points per game is worse.

2. His mantra was a small squad of quality, we have a large squad of average.

3. He's shown he can fall out with players and never give them a way back, e.g. Burler and Collins - both frozen out by Clough

4. He gave Reed a chance, other than that there haven't been a lot of opportunities for homegrown talent.

5. He overrates the value of keeping possession to the point where we aimlessly pass it around our own half like the ineffective Premier League sides we beat last season. In the league above, Bournemouth played attack, attack, attack and won the league.

6. Derby were patient, it got them nowhere.

7. Mark Warburton. Easy. When Clough got the job, many said they would have preferred Robinson.

Despite all that, I don't think Clough should be sacked if we don't go up, but next season it really would be a case of automatic promotion or nothing for him. We were never in contention for that this season as he failed to use central defenders, and didn't sign a goalscorer. Whatever division we're in next year Clough needs to address that in the summer or he won't make it to Christmas. If we do go up and he does fix that, then there's no reason why most of this side couldn't be in contention for the Championship play-offs.

3. He's shown he can fall out with players and never give them a way back, e.g. Butler and Collins - both frozen out by Clough.

To take just one of these points:

a) Do we know this for sure? In both cases?
b) Even if we do how do we know Clough's response hasn't been entirely reasonable?

[QUOTE="William Henry Foulkes, post: 754193, member: 15482"I think he has a track record with this, though I may be wrong.[/QUOTE]

I think he has a shit record with this, though I may be wrong

To take just one of these points:

a) Do we know this for sure? In both cases?
b) Even if we do how do we know Clough's response hasn't been entirely reasonable?
agreed mr Foulkes just because a manager (clough in these cases other managers do the same)
drops players from his squad a fall out is assumed to be the reason why this happens.There is such a thing as
professional conflict with the way a manager asks his staff to perform if butler and collins dont respond to the way the manager wants to set up his defence(not capable) .the fall out is a professional one there is no reason for the players and manager to lose respect for each other.they get moved on as this is the best way forward in such cases. Of course mr Foulks we dont actually know the facts and fans are just putting 2 and 2 together and guessing.In my opinion cloughs biggest mistake this season has been his lack of cover at centre back as maguire
left a big hole which he failed to fill and it has cost us lots of goals for and against i just hope it doasnt cost us in the play offs. Flint has scored 15 goals for Bristol City this season(hat trick on sunday) giant of a centre half where would we be with someone of that elke in our defence

1. Given where we were 18 months ago, his account remains just about in credit despite a disappointing league season.
I think a chimp could have improved on Weir even if our resident clapper did predict with Weir we would finish higher than Wolves

You what are you serious he has signed crocks, journeymen and amassed nearly 40 players who are bang average when the target was 18 of quality.

3. He has shown he can improve existing players, e.g. Maguire (very poor under Weir) and Murphy – both rejuvenated by Clough
Maguire has steadily improved year upon year since becoming a regular with Wilson all the players were poor under Weir, Murphy just took a while to adjust to England nothing to do with Clough.

4. He builds from bottom-up, ensuring a regular flow of homegrown talent is being nurtured
Now this is a load of bollocks, he has only played Reed and Kennedy the latter because due to him selling and loaning out four recognised centre backs there was no one else. Then he would rather pitch in players from non league rather than give our academy lads a go, little wonder DDG want to try elsewhere.

5. He understands the value of keeping possession if we want to compete in the leagues above
Yes just another Bryan Robson, constantly pass side ways across the back four, bring everyone back to defend corners be negative and hope for a 1-0 win, with Clough we will never do a Bournemouth or a Watford or even a Bristol City or MKD these teams attack and score plenty of goals you know that crazy idea of trying to win matches.

6. MK Dons finished 5th, 8th and 10th under Robinson, in the last three seasons – patience can be rewarded!
Watford are they on their fifth manager this season ? still got promotion

7. Finding a better replacement would not be easy. Given the focus many Clough knockers place on track record, how many would have welcomed Steve Cotterill or Karl Robinson with open arms?
Maybe not easy but very possible try any manager in the top half of league one whose teams are way ahead of us or not far behind us points wise on much smaller playing squads and budgets yet all negative Nigel can do is bleat our players are tired ................. errrrr wake up other teams players have all played more games than our pampered pets Clough you knobhead.

There you go 7 counter arguments / reasons to sack the useless chuff.

Despite signing 20+ players, having the largest budget and the largest squad, Clough is guilty of never at any time during the season sorting out the spine of the team

From day 1 this season, he sacked Butler and then fell out with Collins and has played a makeshift cb pairing the rest of the time knowing full well the extent of Kennedy's fitness issues and quickly coming to the conclusion that McGahey wasn't ready. Then Bash has to play cb and then full back marauding Brayford also has to play cover there. This is frankly scandalous in my book

Central midfield has been stop start for too many players, with Basham not being allowed to play and Wallace being injured from day 1 and never recovering

Taking while February to get a half decent centre forward in, again piss poor in my book

His remit was promotion. With the resource he's had at his disposal if he doesn't achieve it, then he has a lot to answer for and personally he will have a failed imo

If he goes then so be it. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep.

If he stays then he better start well from match one, because witnessing the dross this season, he won't get long before the vast majority will be calling for his head

The buck lies with Nigel

1. Given where we were 12 months ago, we've gone nowhere, our points per game is worse.

2. His mantra was a small squad of quality, we have a large squad of average.

3. He's shown he can fall out with players and never give them a way back, e.g. Burler and Collins - both frozen out by Clough

4. He gave Reed a chance, other than that there haven't been a lot of opportunities for homegrown talent.

5. He overrates the value of keeping possession to the point where we aimlessly pass it around our own half like the ineffective Premier League sides we beat last season. In the league above, Bournemouth played attack, attack, attack and won the league.

6. Derby were patient, it got them nowhere.

7. Mark Warburton. Easy. When Clough got the job, many said they would have preferred Robinson.

Despite all that, I don't think Clough should be sacked if we don't go up, but next season it really would be a case of automatic promotion or nothing for him. We were never in contention for that this season as he failed to use central defenders, and didn't sign a goalscorer. Whatever division we're in next year Clough needs to address that in the summer or he won't make it to Christmas. If we do go up and he does fix that, then there's no reason why most of this side couldn't be in contention for the Championship play-offs.

6. "Derby we're patient, it got them nowhere."

Or, Derby were patient while Cloughie slashed the wage bill, then impatient - it's got them nowhere!

I think a chimp could have improved on Weir even if our resident clapper did predict with Weir we would finish higher than Wolves
Agreed. But 18 months isn't really justifiable given that we've seen what Clough's teams can play like? Best to give him until Christmas next season at the minimum.

You what are you serious he has signed crocks, journeymen and amassed nearly 40 players who are bang average when the target was 18 of quality.
Is Basham a crock/journeyman? Is Brayford? Is Harris? A couple of exceptions maybe but overall your point is not really that valid. Players have been far too inconsistent but we know they can actually be decent. Wallace was a bad idea.

Maguire has steadily improved year upon year since becoming a regular with Wilson all the players were poor under Weir, Murphy just took a while to adjust to England nothing to do with Clough.
This is just clutching at straws. Clough got consistency out of Murphy in the third of his time with us and Maguire played his best football easily under Clough. Far better than his time under Weir and Wilson in my opinion.

Now this is a load of bollocks, he has only played Reed and Kennedy the latter because due to him selling and loaning out four recognised centre backs there was no one else. Then he would rather pitch in players from non league rather than give our academy lads a go, little wonder DDG want to try elsewhere.
He's only played 2? What a bastard Cloughie is. Our under 18s could easily amass a 100 point finish in League 1. But seriously what were you expecting? An entire starting 11 or kids?

Yes just another Bryan Robson, constantly pass side ways across the back four, bring everyone back to defend corners be negative and hope for a 1-0 win, with Clough we will never do a Bournemouth or a Watford or even a Bristol City or MKD these teams attack and score plenty of goals you know that crazy idea of trying to win matches.
There are major differences between the time under Robson and time under Clough. I can't believe there is an actual comparison here. Must give you credit for mentioning lack of goals for a promotion side which is a concern definitely.

Haven't Watford kept more or less the same squad for about 3 years?

Maybe not easy but very possible try any manager in the top half of league one whose teams are way ahead of us or not far behind us points wise on much smaller playing squads and budgets yet all negative Nigel can do is bleat our players are tired ................. errrrr wake up other teams players have all played more games than our pampered pets Clough you knobhead.
Struggled to make sense of this but I did my best. It seems you don't like the guy whatsoever for whatever reason. That happens, its understandable I guess if its a natural hatred or Clough has harmed you in any way but other than that I can't think... Oh and for the record many many many many more fans wanted Clough as opposed to Karl Robinson.

There you go 7 counter arguments / reasons to sack the useless chuff.

Yep... You do indeed hate Mr. Clough. But let me ask could you do any better than the useless chuff?

That was fun.:)

Haven't Watford kept more or less the same squad for about 3 years?

No and nothing like
Nearly half the appearances were made by players who were signed in 2014 or this year/
235 out of a total of 506.
46 games X 11 players = 506 player appearances,

168 appearances by players signed since 2012 with over 29 months at the club
( that's using a 2 year 5 month threshold)

a 3 year old threshold gets embarrassing

No and nothing like
Nearly half the appearances were made by players who were signed in 2014 or this year/
235 out of a total of 506.
46 games X 11 players = 506 player appearances,

168 appearances by players signed since 2012 with over 29 months at the club
( that's using a 2 year 5 month threshold)

a 3 year old threshold gets embarrassing
Out of the 12 promotion places in the 2 divisions only Norwich and Watford changed manager and only Mckinlay was sacked ,the others resigned.
Of the 7 relegated ,every single one had a change of manager.

Last edited:
6. "Derby we're patient, it got them nowhere."

Or, Derby were patient while Cloughie slashed the wage bill, then impatient - it's got them nowhere!

That would be just like Steve Cotterill and it got Bristol nowhere errrm ...............ooh wait.

By all means keep him for another season. I've still got lots of work to do on the house and the dog won't walk itself over Bleaklow. I'm happy to take another year off so go for it. :)

Is Basham a crock/journeyman? Is Brayford? Is Harris? A couple of exceptions maybe but overall your point is not really that valid. Players have been far too inconsistent but we know they can actually be decent. Wallace was a bad idea.

This is just clutching at straws. Clough got consistency out of Murphy in the third of his time with us and Maguire played his best football easily under Clough. Far better than his time under Weir and Wilson in my opinion.

2. Basham, Brayford and Harris are 3 out of 25 signings that Clough has made, it's hardly evidence of his ability to sign players that improve the team when even Clough supporters can only point to 12% of his signings being any good. As for Brayford, I would seriously question, given the fact we have no central spine to the team at all, what manager in their right mind spends over £1 million in League 1 on a bloody right back.

3. Maguire had won player of season for two seasons running before Clough arrived, and for me he simply continued his progression under Clough.

Seven reasons why Cloughie should stay?
  1. Steve McLaren
  2. John Carver
  3. Danny Wilson
  4. Phil Brown
  5. Paul Dichov
  6. Stuart Gray
  7. Lee Clark...
and that's just at 'our level'. Higher up, Van Gaal, Advocaat, Pellegrini. There are some seriously shit managers out there.

I really don't understand why some people support Sheffield United, they seem to derive no pleasure out of it. There are a few on here that I have just never seen a positive post from, just a constant stream of of negativity.
Yes, there is plenty of room this season for being negative and I am sure that even the happiest of clappers is disappointed with the way the season has gone but if you can never see anything positive then I suggest that you find another leisure interest.

Back
Top Bottom