6th May

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JJ Sefton

Live, Laugh, Love
Reaction score
11203120_10152800732820950_7126475118026266484_n.jpg

Look like they've just put a fire out.
Front row far left ,looks like a Blades striker from more recent times.

Front right looks like a young Brian Clough.

Second from the top left, looks like he's holding a fag

Great photo. A few months before the start of WW2. we had just beaten Spurs 6-1. Back row: Harry Hampson (died in France in 1942), George Henson, Jack Smith, Not sure, Albert Cox
Front row: Doug Livingstone (coach) Alf Settle (I think). Joe Carr (died at Dunkirk in 1940), Jimmy Hagan, Tonny Johnson and Arthur Eggleton.

Jack Pickering played in the match and is probably the missing player in the photo. Charlie Leyfield played so he might be the player between Smith and Cox. Will check later

Isn't it great that we win promotion and a Sheffield newspaper manages to work the Pigs into its poster congratulating us?

Nothing changes...

We pipped Wednesday for promotion by one point.

About 20 years ago I wrote a letter to Dennis Clareborough about this photo (the photo was in the Football in Sheffield book by Keith Farnsworth). He agreed with me that it is very difficult to identify some of the players in the photo and he has never included it in any of his books. So with the help of the internet photos of players I might be able to identify the few players which I am not sure about better

Great photo. A few months before the start of WW2. we had just beaten Spurs 6-1. Back row: Harry Hampson (died in France in 1942), George Henson, Jack Smith, Not sure, Albert Cox
Front row: Doug Livingstone (coach) Alf Settle (I think). Joe Carr (died at Dunkirk in 1940), Jimmy Hagan, Tonny Johnson and Arthur Eggleton.

Jack Pickering played in the match and is probably the missing player in the photo. Charlie Leyfield played so he might be the player between Smith and Cox. Will check later

I think Hampson bought it in North Africa, septicemia I think. The goalie, Jack Smith, had grown up in the US and played baseball over the summer. He was told to knock it off after he injured his wrist.

I think I looked at the line up wrong this morning. Dont think Charlie Leyland played, and I think it is Bobby Reid that is between Smith and Cox. Will check when I get home

I think Hampson bought it in North Africa.

Jocko and The Badger bought it at the first Ypres Front. I remember Bumfluff's House Master wrote and told me that Sticky had been out for a duck and that The Gubba had snitched a packet sausage end and gone goose-over stumps Frog-side. Bumfluff copped a packet at Gallipoli, so did Drippy and Strangely-Brown. I remember on the first morning of The Somme when Tichy and Mister Floppy got gassed back to Blighty. :D

Just checked Complete Records, the line up was
1. Jack Smith
2. Albert Cox
3. Joe Carr
4. Arthur Eggleston
5. Tommy Johnson
6. Alf Settle
7. Jack Pickering
8. Harry Hampson
9. George Henson
10. Jimmy Hagan
11. Bobby Reid

Scorers were Hampson, Hagan 3, Henson 2

The players at back row; Hampson, Henson, Smith, Reid, Cox
front row; Livingstone (coach), Settle, Carr, Hagan, Johnson and Eggleston

My dad really rated Jack Smith as a goalkeeper.

Dad played centre half for St Pats after the War and they won a trophy which was, to his delight, presented by Jack Smith.

Many times over the years I saw him hold up his right hand and announce: "you're looking at the hand...that shook the hand...of the great Jack Smith!"

Used to claim he'd never washed it since.

Great picture silent my dad told me if war hadnt broken out that team would have been good enough to win the 1st
division title as usual fate stepped in and 6 years were lost. At least two died in the war Hampson and carr who as you say died at dunkirk my dad was at dunkirk he survived due to getting wounded ,the wounded were evacuated first , this blade (finlay) is only here due to some gerry shell wounding my father.Jimmy hagan was his favourite player and they were the same age he used to drule like me watching Tony Currie ime a few years older than tony
but i think one has a special place for great players who are in your age group.

The other nine must have been brilliant to win it with an actual waxwork and a man made of solid mahogany in the team (back row, left hand side and front row, right hand side respectively).

Back
Top Bottom