4-2-3-1 and 4 Steps to Promotion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Bohemian

Reaction score
Great credit to Wilder and the supporters for today's fully deserved, if somewhat edgy, victory.

Wilder for having the courage to drop Clarke and revert back to 4-2-3-1, which Oxford never really got to grips with. The supporters for sticking with the team even after conceding early on.

Basham and Coutts are not going to win us promotion as a central midfield pairing but both did OK today, especially in the second half when providing a defensive barrier (mainly Basham) and playing calmly out of trouble (mainly Coutts) when Oxford pressed.

The four up front started as:

.......Scougall...........Sharp...........Duffy........

..............................Done.........................

All played well and looked comfortable in doing the job asked of them - which none did in a 4-4-2.

Done did what he does best, pressurising defenders into errors through his relentless chasing and making intelligent runs between the central defenders and full backs. His finishing lacked conviction but his cross for Billy, shortly after missing one, was excellent.

Billy looked back to last season's form: good movement and link play. No surprise when he scored.

Duffy had by far his best game to date, looking far more at home, finding pockets of space to jink and probe in a flexible 3 than as an out and out wide player in a 4-4-2, where he lacks the yard of pace to beat a full back on his outside. His delivery from set-pieces caused problems for Oxford throughout and he really deserved Wilson getting on the end of one.

If we ignore Scougall's obvious vulnerability - his pre-pubescent physique and consequent susceptibility to being out-muscled - he was back close to his best today. He always tries to be positive, either running at or passing past defenders and showing a great work ethic. He does get bullied off the ball but he also adds something to the team, which nobody else does at present - the ability to stretch teams and move the ball forward purposefully and quickly.

Today's win shouldn't deflect from the critical surgery required on the squad: we are defensively very vulnerable and today's starting line up determined that we would need to score at least twice to win the game. Neither Freeman nor Hussey are natural defenders - both ball watch and don't seem to know how when to mark tight and when to drop deep.

Wright did OK, no more. On several occasions he attacked a high ball he had no hope of winning leaving a gaping hole behind himself. He also lacks the height to dominate in the air. On the plus side, he was very vocal, made some good interceptions and seemed relatively calm in possession.

Wilson had his best game to date in terms of decision making and distribution (both of which have been suspect previously) and finished his header really well. He doesn't provide, and I suspect never will, commanding presence in central defence.

O'Connell did well, replacing Hussey at left back at half time. He was defensively strong, used the ball intelligently and even nutmegged Oxford's full back when charging forward.

A nervous ten minutes aside - during which, Oxford scored - we defended reasonably well as a unit and Moore cuts a much more confident figure in goal than the embattled Long. Once again, the goal conceded was avoidable with Basham and Coutts switching off at a free kick and allowing Sercombe (a player we should be looking closely at) far too much space to get a clean strike at goal. Moore will be disappointed with his parry into Hemming's path but, again, no reaction or anticipation from our defenders.

We're now treading a fine line between having a top six, challenging squad versus a bottom-half, struggle.

Wilder has shown his capacity to learn and make big decisions - e.g. moving Brayford on and dropping Clarke. However, his current squad does not have the capability to mount a sustained promotion challenge, so the next four days will define his season (and probably his future).

In order of priority he needs:

1. A proper League One/Championship centre half
2. An athletic, ball-winning, ball-playing, 6' plus central midfielder
3. A pacy striker
4. A right back (or, my preference - move Basham there)

If he sorts 1. out, we should finish in the top half. If he deals with 2. we can challenge for a top six finish. If he deals with 1, 2 and 3 we can still win promotion this season.

If we can get Craig Morgan, Luke Murphy and Caolan Lavery in the next few days that should tick those boxes.

The first two have also captained sides which would also add much needed character to the team.

Agree with you on Basham too. I like the idea of the back five including the keeper being 6'+. Makes us a lot stronger from set plays and generally more robust.

Big few days for all at the club.

Fingers crossed.

Great credit to Wilder and the supporters for today's fully deserved, if somewhat edgy, victory.

Wilder for having the courage to drop Clarke and revert back to 4-2-3-1, which Oxford never really got to grips with. The supporters for sticking with the team even after conceding early on.

Basham and Coutts are not going to win us promotion as a central midfield pairing but both did OK today, especially in the second half when providing a defensive barrier (mainly Basham) and playing calmly out of trouble (mainly Coutts) when Oxford pressed.

The four up front started as:

.......Scougall...........Sharp...........Duffy........

..............................Done.........................

All played well and looked comfortable in doing the job asked of them - which none did in a 4-4-2.

Done did what he does best, pressurising defenders into errors through his relentless chasing and making intelligent runs between the central defenders and full backs. His finishing lacked conviction but his cross for Billy, shortly after missing one, was excellent.

Billy looked back to last season's form: good movement and link play. No surprise when he scored.

Duffy had by far his best game to date, looking far more at home, finding pockets of space to jink and probe in a flexible 3 than as an out and out wide player in a 4-4-2, where he lacks the yard of pace to beat a full back on his outside. His delivery from set-pieces caused problems for Oxford throughout and he really deserved Wilson getting on the end of one.

If we ignore Scougall's obvious vulnerability - his pre-pubescent physique and consequent susceptibility to being out-muscled - he was back close to his best today. He always tries to be positive, either running at or passing past defenders and showing a great work ethic. He does get bullied off the ball but he also adds something to the team, which nobody else does at present - the ability to stretch teams and move the ball forward purposefully and quickly.

Today's win shouldn't deflect from the critical surgery required on the squad: we are defensively very vulnerable and today's starting line up determined that we would need to score at least twice to win the game. Neither Freeman nor Hussey are natural defenders - both ball watch and don't seem to know how when to mark tight and when to drop deep.

Wright did OK, no more. On several occasions he attacked a high ball he had no hope of winning leaving a gaping hole behind himself. He also lacks the height to dominate in the air. On the plus side, he was very vocal, made some good interceptions and seemed relatively calm in possession.

Wilson had his best game to date in terms of decision making and distribution (both of which have been suspect previously) and finished his header really well. He doesn't provide, and I suspect never will, commanding presence in central defence.

O'Connell did well, replacing Hussey at left back at half time. He was defensively strong, used the ball intelligently and even nutmegged Oxford's full back when charging forward.

A nervous ten minutes aside - during which, Oxford scored - we defended reasonably well as a unit and Moore cuts a much more confident figure in goal than the embattled Long. Once again, the goal conceded was avoidable with Basham and Coutts switching off at a free kick and allowing Sercombe (a player we should be looking closely at) far too much space to get a clean strike at goal. Moore will be disappointed with his parry into Hemming's path but, again, no reaction or anticipation from our defenders.

We're now treading a fine line between having a top six, challenging squad versus a bottom-half, struggle.

Wilder has shown his capacity to learn and make big decisions - e.g. moving Brayford on and dropping Clarke. However, his current squad does not have the capability to mount a sustained promotion challenge, so the next four days will define his season (and probably his future).

3. A pacy striker

If he sorts 1. out, we should finish in the top half. If he deals with 2. we can challenge for a top six finish. If he deals with 1, 2 and 3 we can still win promotion this season.

Did he drop Clarke or was he injured?

Did he drop Clarke or was he injured?

Clark apparently missed 1 day of training - same as O'Connell.

May be the way of CW - miss training in mid week and it excludes you from Saturday games.

CW's history suggest he does a lot right, so we will just have to hope it carries on.

UTB

Clark apparently missed 1 day of training - same as O'Connell.

May be the way of CW - miss training in mid week and it excludes you from Saturday games.

CW's history suggest he does a lot right, so we will just have to hope it carries on.

UTB

Not his recent history, but am delighted with three points today and long may it continue.

Nothing to do with formations or anything like that. He took that cunt of a suit off.

Lost his rag a bit more than the last 2 home games. As well as the players, wilder needs to feel comfortable

I was hoping for a 4231,but disagree with you TB in that it looked like 442 to me with Done and Sharp up top in front of Scougall,Bash,Coutts and Duffy...Duffy and Scougs did drift inside and link up...but 442 for me.

The way I saw it was that it was 4-2-3-1 in the first half and didn't really work, then he put Sharp alongside Done in a 4-4-2 for the second half and we played much better. It also helped that O'Connell got forward well and gave us an attacking threat down the left.

well yes, his history since May 2016.

Perhaps his problem is the expectation level he has inherited at BDTBL - perhaps he can't handle it?

UTB

I'm delighted he's a Blade, but to be frank, I'm sure he's negotiated himself a nice pay deal. So, expectation or not, he's the boss and takes responsibility. I've questioned his tactics in the matches I have seen. But three points is three points, and all I am interested in is the long term success of our Club. Hopefully Wilder will be the manager to deliver. Today is a start. Only that. It's something, hopefully we will look back and recognise it's significance.

But as always, it's done now, on to the next match.

I'm delighted he's a Blade, but to be frank, I'm sure he's negotiated himself a nice pay deal. So, expectation or not, he's the boss and takes responsibility. I've questioned his tactics in the matches I have seen. But three points is three points, and all I am interested in is the long term success of our Club. Hopefully Wilder will be the manager to deliver. Today is a start. Only that. It's something, hopefully we will look back and recognise it's significance.

But as always, it's done now, on to the next match.

yes, 3 points is 3 points - but as posted elsewhere the GCB song was limp and pathetic at the start of the 2nd half.

We need much much more than what we saw in the 2nd half - personally, I thought Oxford were better in their approach to ours, although I do accept it is easier to play away these days in all divisions.

We are deluding ourselves if today's performance was anything more than 3 points.

UTB

I couldn't work out what system we were playing, it changed all the time, one thing for certain we didnt have anybody wide.

3. A pacy striker

Going off the latest rumours.

No.1 could be a TICK if Morgan were to sign.
No.2 If we managed to sign Murphy he would'nt exactly be a ball-winning midfielder but at this level he would shine with his excellent passing abilities. For me he is championship level at the least.
No.3 Lavery seems like he'll be signing shortly so I hope he has enough pace to worry defenders.
Not too fussed on No.4 myself, whilst it would be a bonus to get somebody in, we have a couple of options within our squad to use there should we need to. Freeman is decent enough for the time being.

I'm not sure just about beating a very poor Oxford side necessitates the P word.

Back
Top Bottom