25 man squad next year: Your pick

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadly_D'Jaffo

Reaction score
I'd go with...

GK: Howard, Long
RB: Brayford, Flynn
CB: Kennedy, Basham
CB: McEveley, McGahey
LB: Harris, Freeman
RM: Coutts, Davies
CM: Scougall, J.Wallace
CM: Reed, Cuvelier
LM: Murphy, Campbell-Ryce
CF: McNulty, Adams
CF: COG or Doyle, De-Giralamo
SPARE: Baxter

Youth/Fringe players: K. Wallace, Dimaio, Khan, Calvert-Lewin

Goodbye: Alcock, McGinn, Doyle, McFadzean & Higdon

I wouldn't disagree with any of those departures with the exception of Higdon who i still think we will see more from.

I also think we are a defender, midfielder and striker short in there, as Reed/McGahey/Kennedy/Diego and Adams are still players very much in the development phase of their careers.

Would agree with that, except Collins is another "goodbye".

I would keep Higdon for the time being but would think we could maybe attract someone else as a target man next summer.

I suppose we should add Jason Holt assuming he will rise to the challenge of trying to win a contract.

I have a hunch that Jake Wright might develop as another youth / fringe player. He looks like he can score goals and could maybe do it at a higher level.

There's only 22 there + Baxter. Not sure why you wouldn't include Baxter? Add M. Doyle and Higdon and you have 25.

That's fine now. But many of the players will change. We'll bring people in and let people go. Without knowing who NC will bring in Doyle must stay in the team until a replacement is here and playing better.

There's only 22 there + Baxter. Not sure why you wouldn't include Baxter? Add M. Doyle and Higdon and you have 25.

That's fine now. But many of the players will change. We'll bring people in and let people go. Without knowing who NC will bring in Doyle must stay in the team until a replacement is here and playing better.

I'd like to see a few of the mentioned youth/fringe players fill the gap from 23 pro's. Khan, Dimiao, Wallace & Calvert-Lewin are no complete strangers to the first team and perhaps we could send them out on loan to L2 for the odd month with a recall clause etc.

When you look at the average age of the squad I suggested (would someone be so kind as to calculate my provisional squad?), it is encouraging. In fact it just dawned on me (thanks to the thread by Punk Blade) how we expect mature, consistent performances from the likes of Baxter, Scougall and McNulty yet they're still only 22 years old! Nige is putting a squad together that not only is competitive in this league but can also improve and meet the clubs ambition of moving up the leagues.

I'd go with...

Looks decent on paper but I'm not sure Sparky is the answer at centre forward and J Wallace might never fulfil potential due to fitness. I can't see DDG sticking around which leaves us light up front. I think Khan might go now Adams is here. Not sure whether DCL will be around it either. He's a midfielder who's scoring goals as a number 9 in conference north. Don't think anyone knows where his best position is at Utd

Would agree with that, except Collins is another "goodbye".

I would keep Higdon for the time being but would think we could maybe attract someone else as a target man next summer.

I suppose we should add Jason Holt assuming he will rise to the challenge of trying to win a contract.

I have a hunch that Jake Wright might develop as another youth / fringe player. He looks like he can score goals and could maybe do it at a higher level.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/shef...7092037?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_text&obref=obinsite

Literally just read the same report prior to you posting it, I have seen this guy play in NCEL albeit a much lesser standard than League One but he looked better than any player on the pitch that evening (think he scored a hattrick). His next move should be conference and see how he gets on, then be in the frame with us mid next season.
I've seen him once when he played and scored against Leeds U21s.

He took his goal superbly and I thought aye aye have we got one here ?

As the article says he has great movement and seems to be a natural goalscorer.

Let's hope he can fulfill his potential.

Whatever happens, I see trouble ahead. Without doubt, the board has (in total contrast to many previous years) utterly indulged NC and given him an absolutely massive squad for this - or any other - level.

Should we fail to get promotion - or at least the play-offs - it will make for interesting times as NC has basically made himself un-sackable unless we rip it up, shed the majority of the squad and start all over again.

Depends what division we are in. Taking the optimistic view that we could be in the Championship, the following would be good enough for the squad based on what I've seen:-

Howard, Turner
Brayford, Freeman, Basham, McEveley, Harris
Campbell-Ryce, Flynn, Coutts, Reed, Baxter, Scougall, Wallace, Adams, Murphy
McNulty, Done

The following I would keep and either review performance at the next level or farm out on loan:-

Alcock
McGahey
Cuvelier
De Girolamo

Based on that we would need to sign about seven players to be good enough. 2 x CB, 1 x LB, 1 x CM, 3 x ST.

I'd go with...

That looks like a £5m+p.a. payroll, add another £2m for managerial and coaching/support staff, groundsmen etc. and that is more than we can afford?

HH

Back
Top Bottom