2015/16 Home Kit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mccabes putting 2 fingers up to the fans ...is probably the most insane thing I ve ever read on here . Its a shirt .more than likely theyve took Adidas advice on it .you know the supplier most fans were begging we would change to. We have got what we asked for Adidas s take on red and white stripes
Why would anyone beg to have a company with such an atrocious record of using sweated labour to produce its goods? Clearly only a child, with good eyesight and a steady hand, could produce stripes as thin as that.

Out of interest, all the children with their bottom lip out about this, you wouldn't also be the type to vote labour even if the candidate was a whippet with a red rosette are you? This thread is Sheffield in a microcosm. We don't like change and will fight tooth and nail to maintain the status quo no matter how bog standard it may be.
Vote Labour? As long as Clive Betts is my local Labour candidate, not a chance.

This is the best home shirt we've ever had.

14647-zoom.jpg

Shame about the white shorts relegation material !!

Incredibly elegant; compared to some of the Macron trash we had, which, whilst still red and white, was completely awful (see 13/14 home kit), this is a refreshing change of pace. We'll be back to the usual next year (and I wouldn't be surprised if traditional red and white was the 3rd kit).

This from Jim's FB

The time between announcing Adidas as our kit sponsor and starting sales of new kit was too short to do something one-off for the start of our year-long 125 celebration. Production cycles are just too long. E.g., design work on 16-17 kit design is already done & dusted. (Any apparel industry types to back me up?) So to do a history and heritage replica in connection utb the 125 celebration, as many fans had suggested, we had to wait and make the replica kit the final and crowning piece of the celebration.

This is the best home shirt we've ever had.

14647-zoom.jpg
I disliked the lace up collar immensely. Also I can remember people bitching that on the replica shirts available to buy the stripes were sometimes off centre as though Umbro cut the material willy nilly.

I disliked the lace up collar immensely.

Likewise. Always preferred a proper collar.

What this thread highlights is that there is bugger all agreement on any aspects of United kits. We all have our own particular views on every aspect - collar, sponsor, stripe width, stripe colour, badge, manufacturer logo position. And all this fuss for what's essentially a one-off kit that is meant as a nod to the club's roots.

Still, a great marketing ploy by the club - capitalise on the novelty of the kit to those that like it next season, and in a year's time have a big song and dance about a return to the traditional stripes to push the kit to those that hated the pinstripes.

This from Jim's FB

The time between announcing Adidas as our kit sponsor and starting sales of new kit was too short to do something one-off for the start of our year-long 125 celebration. Production cycles are just too long. E.g., design work on 16-17 kit design is already done & dusted. (Any apparel industry types to back me up?) So to do a history and heritage replica in connection utb the 125 celebration, as many fans had suggested, we had to wait and make the replica kit the final and crowning piece of the celebration.

If I may say so, this is bollocks. You can go in the club shop and have names/numbers applied in minutes. Enough correct shirts for the players (the 'shop window') could have been produced and then get on with the supply chain. It's not only us, though. When Wet Spam's latest bent sponsor (Alpari) went bust, they've hurriedly put the latest sponsor (Betway) on a crude, white background - similar to our quick lash-up with the first 'John Holland' incarnation:

upload_2015-3-23_7-13-20.png

This is simply not necessary. Step back. Take a breath. And get it right. The first 'John Holland' (and Sunderland's efforts) were worthy of a first-year art student at Sheffield College. When applying a logo or lettering to anything other than a plain background use a contrasting 'fill' and 'stroke'.

Talking of which. The badge. Maybe it does hark back to the dim and distant days when computers, Photoshop and even Letraset were but a twinkle in the designer's eye. In the modern age, it's pathetic. 'Here, first-year art student, we want a design of a sports badge.' 'Sports badge, eh? I know! Let's have it on a shield!' Very original. 'And while we're being crass, let's have sheafs of corn etc. It's Sheffield, innit? And while we've left our fucking design brain at home, let's bung a fucking lion on top as that's the first thing people think of when Sheffield is mentioned.'

index.php

I don't care if our brilliant, circular badge has changed over the years. For once in our miserable fucking lives, we've stumbled upon something that is just right. DON'T CHANGE IT!. Do not fuck with the brand! Cars for example, change models, specs, colours etc. but the badge/logo remains constant. I hardly expect Ford to bung a fucking lion on top of their badge or Audi to put fucking sheafs of corn in their four rings.

It's not too late!

Last edited:
If I may say so, this is bollocks. You can go in the club shop and have names/numbers applied in minutes. Enough correct shirts for the players (the 'shop window') could have been produced and then get on with the supply chain. It's not only us, though. When Wet Spam's latest bent sponsor (Alpari) went bust, they've hurriedly put the latest sponsor (Betway) on a crude, white background - similar to our quick lash-up with the first 'John Holland' incarnation:

This is simply not necessary. Step back. Take a breath. And get it right. The first 'John Holland' (and Sunderland's efforts) were worthy of a first-year art student at Sheffield College. When applying a logo or lettering to anything other than a plain background use a contrasting 'fill' and 'stroke'.

Talking of which. The badge. Maybe it does hark back to the dim and distant days when computers, Photoshop and even Letraset were but a twinkle in the designer's eye. In the modern age, it's pathetic. 'Here, first-year art student, we want a design of a sports badge.' 'Sports badge, eh? I know! Let's have it on a shield!' Very original. 'And while we're being crass, let's have sheafs of corn etc. It's Sheffield, innit? And while we've left our fucking design brain at home, let's bung a fucking lion on top as that's the first thing people think of when Sheffield is mentioned.'

index.php

I don't care if our brilliant, circular badge has changed over the years. For once in our miserable fucking lives, we've stumbled upon something that is just right. DON'T CHANGE IT!. Do not fuck with the brand! Cars for example, change models, specs, colours etc. but the badge/logo remains constant. I hardly expect Ford to bung a fucking lion on top of their badge or Audi to put fucking sheafs of corn in their four rings.

It's not too late!

The original badge had a lion on top. Its an updated version of that badge. The shirt is an updated version of that shirt.

Here's the original badge...

crest-1891.gif

Sheffield United played their first match in August 1889 and joined the Northern League. In those days the team usually wore white shirts. A crest appeared in the 1891-92 season that consisted of the badge of Sheffield, a chevron with three sheaves of wheat, apparently a typical heraldic play on words, Shef-field being interpreted as "the open space by the River Sheaf." In 1891 they turned out in red and white "butcher's stripes" and it was not until 1894 that the familar 2" striped shirts appeared for the first time.
(http://historicalkits.co.uk/Sheffield_United/Sheffield_United.htm)

Also...

bmw_logo_1.jpg

vauxhall-timeline.jpg

Last edited:
If that is the original badge Matt and I suspect its open to conjecture, then it compounds the felony in my view.

In other words they haven't EVEN got the original badge correct. If you are going to have a retro kit as a commemoration then surely it should more closely resemble the original, Toffs® came up with that replica years ago, it had broader stripes. Why the red shorts and socks, the originals were navy blue?
No we've just got Forest away, because its easier for adidas........what say does the club actually have against the major world sportswear manufacturer?

"Production cycles are just too long. E.g., design work on 16-17 kit design is already done & dusted. (Any apparel industry types to back me up?)"

- this is apparently Jim Phipp's question and No, I'm not a tailor but I did work with (Sir) Paul Smith (the most renowned design house in England) on designs including one for shirting, the printed fabric to make shirts from. The shirts were on the shelves within about 6 months of my drawing them.

You are suggesting therefore, that it takes 17 months from design to distribution.....I don't believe that.

What a laggardly approach adidas seem to have when, a bit like the Emperor's new clothes, its plain to see that its the Forest away kit with a floppy collar on it all from a kit of parts that adidas® re-arrange into a shirt (as has been mentioned many times above)?

So if the 2016-2017 season strip is already designed, may we see it please, then some of us can choose whether to or not to buy the new 'Forest' kit or wait for a better one to come out the season after next?

We have had sample kits and voted on them in the recent past and it was more like 4 months before the kit came out, not 17.

Why would anyone beg to have a company with such an atrocious record of using sweated labour to produce its goods? Clearly only a child, with good eyesight and a steady hand, could produce stripes as thin as that.

Shows conditions have improved , , perhaps saudi relief aid has helped, they are noted for their caring attitude

If that is the original badge Matt and I suspect its open to conjecture, then it compounds the felony in my view.

In other words they haven't EVEN got the original badge correct. If you are going to have a retro kit as a commemoration then surely it should more closely resemble the original, Toffs® came up with that replica years ago, it had broader stripes. Why the red shorts and socks, the originals were navy blue?
No we've just got Forest away, because its easier for adidas........what say does the club actually have against the major world sportswear manufacturer?

"Production cycles are just too long. E.g., design work on 16-17 kit design is already done & dusted. (Any apparel industry types to back me up?)"

- this is apparently Jim Phipp's question and No, I'm not a tailor but I did work with (Sir) Paul Smith (the most renowned design house in England) on designs including one for shirting, the printed fabric to make shirts from. The shirts were on the shelves within about 6 months of my drawing them.

You are suggesting therefore, that it takes 17 months from design to distribution.....I don't believe that.

What a laggardly approach adidas seem to have when, a bit like the Emperor's new clothes, its plain to see that its the Forest away kit with a floppy collar on it all from a kit of parts that adidas® re-arrange into a shirt (as has been mentioned many times above)?

So if the 2016-2017 season strip is already designed, may we see it please, then some of us can choose whether to or not to buy the new 'Forest' kit or wait for a better one to come out the season after next?

We have had sample kits and voted on them in the recent past and it was more like 4 months before the kit came out, not 17.

Production cycles for a renowned design house may be shorter than production cycles for a lowly third tier team working with one of the biggest sportswear manufacturers in the world.

"Production cycles for a renowned design house may be shorter than production cycles for a lowly third tier team working with one of the biggest sportswear manufacturers in the world."

But a year longer? we've established that there has been no design work carried out by adidas on our behalf and its cloth they already had in stock made up to a standard pattern....

When we last played in white and red pinstripes we dominated English football and won many honours.

"Sheffield United have played in red and white stripes for most of their history, but began playing in white shirts and blue shorts. They briefly played in narrow red stripes for the 1890–91 season, before returning to all white the following year. (Looking at the team photo the stripes appear narrow rather than pinstriped.) The stripes returned in the 1892–93 season" - from wiki. The 1894/95 photo shows the team in broad stripes

300px-Sheffield_United_Sqaud_1890-91.jpg download (2).jpg 220px-Sufc1895.jpg

1890/91 Team photo 1890/91 kit 1895 kit

The 1890/91 we played in the Midland League finishing 5th. The following season was the Northern League. We finished 3rd. In 1893/94 we beat Accrington Stanley in a test match (play-off) to be promoted to League Division One. In terms of honours everything has been won in broad red and white stripes.

tumblr_njiv8eNmeN1qa3ghzo1_500 (1).jpg $_35.JPG8002917_orig.jpg
League Division 1 Champions 1897/98 1899 FA Cup Winners 1902 FA Cup Winners

download (1).jpg article-1214244-0679ACBA000005DC-719_468x343.jpg!B0Qr)NwBmk~$(KGrHqJ,!jQEw5fJ-7D5BMZmmOZKsQ~~_12.JPG

1915 FA Cup Winners 1925 FA Cup Winners 1952/53 2nd Division Champions

UTB

Attachments

• 300px-Sheffield_United_FC_1901_team.jpg
    300px-Sheffield_United_FC_1901_team.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom