20 goal a season striker - the key to promotion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

NE Blade

Reaction score
A lot of our forum members are of the opinion that we need a 20 goal a season striker to fire us to promotion.

Well, I just wanted to let you know that we don't have one. We have two.

Michael Higdon
League and Cup
7 starts, 5 sub appearances
5 goals
0.71 goals per start
The stats suggest that if Higdon plays a full season, starting say 35 games, he's capable of bagging 25+ goals

Mark McNulty
League and Cup
8 starts, 9 sub appearances
6 goals
0.75 goals per start
The stats suggest that if McNulty plays a full season, starting say 35 games, he's capable of bagging 25+ goals

I guess the key is keeping them both fit, and when they are available Clough has to pick them on a consistent basis. Given his tactical preference it seems unlikely we'll play two up top, but in my opinion it's imperative that at least one of them has to start. I'd also like to see either of them get a run of say 10 games. With a consistent run in the side we might see even better results.

I really don't see how the likes of O'Grady would stand a better chance of success. There is no point in signing another striker for the sake of it.

Thoughts?

Unless the board is willing to chuck a £1m at a new striker, there is no point in getting one as they aren't going to be any better than the options we already have. We also need to get rid of some dead wood as we don't need a bigger squad.

The team is starting to settle down, we just need to take the game to teams more and the goals will come.

Your best sides who have more chance of going up always have atleast 3 good strikers,so there's your answer.We still need atleast 1 for me.

It's a case of do we want to stamp our authority,or do we want to try and limp over the line with what we already have.I know what i'd rather do,come on board,don't take that chance!

Last edited:
Good stats problem is players get injured and sometimes they get injured at the same time.

We need another scorer to rotate and provide cover.

so , we now need 3 are we sure , when we lost ched , beattie got injured so we had to use porter , perhaps we need 4 or 5
buggar it lets get 6

Cup goals won't get us promoted.

There is an argument that they will. Goals and victories breed confidence. Do this in the cup and it may transfer to league performance, as it seemed to last season.

So although technically correct, I think you need to think a bit more outside the box, in fact, so do our players.

Goals are goals a fit Higdon is goals I'm confident in him

We heard at the Q&A that there are irons in the fire to get someone in by Thursday & longer term targets for the January window. I appreciate the fact that we've heard it all before.

We heard at the Q&A that there are irons in the fire to get someone in by Thursday & longer term targets for the January window. I appreciate the fact that we've heard it all before.

Indeed ..... being an old git, I've been hearing this from United for 50 years !!
I will believe it when they are ACTUALLY stood in a red & white striped shirt, on the pitch at BDTBL.
Until then, its just MORE bulls**t from a Board that's good at talking the talk, but not so good at delivering !!
At the end of the season, if we miss out on promotion, you know who to blame ..... o_O
UTB & FTP

A lot of our forum members are of the opinion that we need a 20 goal a season striker to fire us to promotion.

Well, I just wanted to let you know that we don't have one. We have two.

Michael Higdon
League and Cup
7 starts, 5 sub appearances
5 goals
0.71 goals per start
The stats suggest that if Higdon plays a full season, starting say 35 games, he's capable of bagging 25+ goals

Mark McNulty
League and Cup
8 starts, 9 sub appearances
6 goals
0.75 goals per start
The stats suggest that if McNulty plays a full season, starting say 35 games, he's capable of bagging 25+ goals

I guess the key is keeping them both fit, and when they are available Clough has to pick them on a consistent basis. Given his tactical preference it seems unlikely we'll play two up top, but in my opinion it's imperative that at least one of them has to start. I'd also like to see either of them get a run of say 10 games. With a consistent run in the side we might see even better results.

I really don't see how the likes of O'Grady would stand a better chance of success. There is no point in signing another striker for the sake of it.

Thoughts?

Great stats mate, but so far, I've seen nothing in these two at this stage to suggest that either are capable of 25 goals in 1 season.
I will be absolutely delighted to be wrong .....
UTB & FTP

would much rather have a striker that can bag 10-15 and bring the attacking midfielders/cutting in wingers into play a lot more with good hold up play and distribution, and also to draw fouls/penalties, which is generally what you want to do with a 1 striker system. they don't grow on trees - look back at previous seasons and see how many there actually are, that aren't artificially inflated by taking all the penalties and premium set piece chances

Back
Top Bottom