10 > 10.5

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Punk Blade

Reaction score
This is the lesson we have learned tonight.

Flynn staying on the pitch cost us in the end. I'm not saying we deserved to win or that they deserved nothing, but for me the turning point was Flynn staying on.

If he had gone off we would have set up properly with ten, most likely 4-4-1 with Holt and Freeman wide and Murphy up top. We'd have kept some shape across midfield and had Murphy as an outlet to keep the ball up their end or even nick another on the break. Instead we went 4-5-1 with Flynn hobbling about up front meaning we had no outlet and they could easily get the ball from back to front quickly. When play finally moved into their half everything obviously bypassed Flynn and while others looked to make up for the lack of striker, Flynn could offer nothing defensively when they regained possession.

I'm not usually one for pointing fingers anywhere other than at referees, but some very poor and ultimately amateurish decisions were made following Flynn pulling up:

First, Flynn himself knew he couldn't run and that he should have come off. However with no instruction to leave the pitch from the management I commend his dedication to the cause by keeping going to the end.

Next, the physios should have seen that it looked like a hamstring injury and that trying to run on it (and then have someone twice his size leaning on it) would only make it worse. What may have been a couple of weeks out could now turn out to be the rest of the season. Hopefully that won't turn out to be the case.

Finally, the management should have seen that, even ignoring the type or severity of injury, we were worse off for having him on the pitch. Shoving him up front out of the way is not decisive action and the refusal to deal with the problem has cost us.

My dad joked after the game that we could have put him in goal and at least Turner would have been able to run. I doubt we'd have conceded more than we did!

Agreed. I said this to Foulkes Jr as soon as Flynn was injured but in defence of Clough I can't think that a manager has ever done it. One day someone prominent will, and then everyone can follow.

My lad said with 10 mins to go that Flynn should come off to save him for the next game as he's a little injury prone at the moment. When the subs were made and Murphy was going up front it, it seemed right. Wish we had early season Ben Davies to call upon.

Made them feel like they were hunting down a wounded animal and gave them a rush as they went in for the kill.

BLAME Clough and no one else for him staying on, after all, he made Flynn his scapegoat so he needed him on the pitch

Agreed. I said this to Foulkes Jr as soon as Flynn was injured but in defence of Clough I can't think that a manager has ever done it. One day someone prominent will, and then everyone can follow.
Do you mean removing an injured player when you've run out of subs? Of course it happens when it's a stretcher job, but I do recall a certain Michael Brown asked the referee to leave the field when he got injured and we'd run out of subs - and at the time that took us down to 7 men!

Flynn gave a signal to the ben
Do you mean removing an injured player when you've run out of subs? Of course it happens when it's a stretcher job, but I do recall a certain Michael Brown asked the referee to leave the field when he got injured and we'd run out of subs - and at the time that took us down to 7 men!

Two players went off injured that day without replacements, Brown and Rob Ullathorne.

Flynn staying on the pitch cost us in the end. I'm not saying we deserved to win or that they deserved nothing, but for me the turning point was Flynn staying on.

If he had gone off we would have set up properly with ten, most likely 4-4-1 with Holt and Freeman wide and Murphy up top. We'd have kept some shape across midfield and had Murphy as an outlet to keep the ball up their end or even nick another on the break. Instead we went 4-5-1 with Flynn hobbling about up front meaning we had no outlet and they could easily get the ball from back to front quickly. When play finally moved into their half everything obviously bypassed Flynn and while others looked to make up for the lack of striker, Flynn could offer nothing defensively when they regained possession.

I'm not usually one for pointing fingers anywhere other than at referees, but some very poor and ultimately amateurish decisions were made following Flynn pulling up:

First, Flynn himself knew he couldn't run and that he should have come off. However with no instruction to leave the pitch from the management I commend his dedication to the cause by keeping going to the end.

Next, the physios should have seen that it looked like a hamstring injury and that trying to run on it (and then have someone twice his size leaning on it) would only make it worse. What may have been a couple of weeks out could now turn out to be the rest of the season. Hopefully that won't turn out to be the case.

Finally, the management should have seen that, even ignoring the type or severity of injury, we were worse off for having him on the pitch. Shoving him up front out of the way is not decisive action and the refusal to deal with the problem has cost us.

My dad joked after the game that we could have put him in goal and at least Turner would have been able to run. I doubt we'd have conceded more than we did!
Too true, I made a similar thread with a less clever title earlier! Feel like Flynn's trying to be a hero cost us an ugly point, possibly 3

I wish somebody would have explained to Turner that Flynn was thrown up top to isolate home due to the fact he couldn't run, first goal kick went up to Flynn and we instantly lost the ball, at that point I feared the worst.

Flynn gave a signal to the ben

Two players went off injured that day without replacements, Brown and Rob Ullathorne.
that day would have been the chance for warnock to go up in my estimation , should have Twated that ginger haired ex ladypig :D
apologies for going off subject :mad:

I think our management will agree with the above in hindsight.

I think Clough is often good at analysing match situations and often makes tweaks to try rectifying things, but he and the management team didn't handle that situation well enough. There is a reason why teams who get a man sent off don't play 4-5-0. You need some sort of attacking outlet to avoid just getting sucked into your own box. I think Clough knows that and would have played 4-4-1 if Flynn had gone off. Him staying on confused us and we lost our structure.

I think our management will agree with the above in hindsight.

I think Clough is often good at analysing match situations and often makes tweaks to try rectifying things, but he and the management team didn't handle that situation well enough. There is a reason why teams who get a man sent off don't play 4-5-0. You need some sort of attacking outlet to avoid just getting sucked into your own box. I think Clough knows that and would have played 4-4-1 if Flynn had gone off. Him staying on confused us and we lost our structure.

I agree with this and said so to Foulkes Jr at the time.

But, as I posted earlier, are there any precedents for a manager voluntarily going down to ten men, especially when leading 1-0? One day someone will take that step, then everyone else can follow. Till then 10.5>10.

It seems obvious that having someone on the pitch is better than having no-one. Obvious, but not necessarily true.

(That said, imagine the peasants with pitchforks if Flynn had been taken off and Peterborough had scored anyway.)

It didn't matter whether Flynn stayed on or went off, we should have still kept Murphy up front.

Flynn could have hobbled around the centre circle and possibly helped one on to Murphy. It was worth him staying on for nuisance value but not as our only attacking outlet.

We shouldn't have been left in that position anyway. It's not worth the risk of using your final sub when you're clinging on to a lead, unless you really have to. That's foresight not hindsight.

Back
Top Bottom