1-11 : Since Squad Numbers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

VLYDONIMIR

Totus tuus ego sum, Maria...
Reaction score
Have we lined up at kick off or during the 90 minutes with a team numbered 1-11 on the pitch since squad numbers were introduced?

One thing I have noticed is that the young lad, George Long, always wears the shirt with "1" on the back, as if to say "oooooo look at me, I am number 1 in this team!"

I know young players sometimes have a tendency to be cocky, but you would think one of the older lads would have a word with him. If anyone deserves to wear the number one shirt it should be Billy Sharp.

One thing I have noticed is that the young lad, George Long, always wears the shirt with "1" on the back, as if to say "oooooo look at me, I am number 1 in this team!"

I know young players sometimes have a tendency to be cocky, but you would think one of the older lads would have a word with him. If anyone deserves to wear the number one shirt it should be Billy Sharp.

I know this is a joke.. but doesn't Long where 25?

What's even more upsetting however, is that Howard considers himself number 1..

Another nonsense concept brought about for what reason?
Don't get me started on coloured balls.

Another nonsense concept brought about for what reason?
Don't get me started on coloured balls.
I had the idea whilst watching the Leicester game at Manchester United, that the team at the top of the Premier League should play with a golden ball to honour their position. I have a feeling that you won't approve of this idea.

Last edited:
1 GK
2 RB
3 LB
4 CM
5 CD
6 CD
7 RW
8 CM
9 ST
10 ST
11 LW

I've always loved the perfect way it all just fits together and looks, 'right'.

Just typing it out made me feel warm and safe and gave me hope that one day everything is going to be alright.

I go back even further and provide for your delectation the following also nicked from Wicki as my memory failed me on the wing halves.
  1. Goalkeeper
  2. Right full back
  3. Left full back
  4. Right half back
  5. Center half back
  6. Left half back
  7. Outside right
  8. Inside right
  9. Center forward
  10. Inside left
  11. Outside left
Get back to 2 - 3 - 5 formation with black boots with proper studs and no reserves/substitutes. That's the future.

1 GK
2 RB
3 LB
4 CM
5 CD
6 CD
7 RW
8 CM
9 ST
10 ST
11 LW

I'd also note that, of the midfielders, '4' is the ball-winner, and '8' is the more creative. Likewise, '9' is the striker more likely to get poacher type goals, whilst '10' is more likely get assists (either as a big man getting flick-ons, or as a more cultured creator). For the two central defenders, the quicker of the two should wear '6'.

I'd also note that, of the midfielders, '4' is the ball-winner, and '8' is the more creative. Likewise, '9' is the striker more likely to get poacher type goals, whilst '10' is more likely get assists (either as a big man getting flick-ons, or as a more cultured creator). For the two central defenders, the quicker of the two should wear '6'.

Bloody hell, there'd be fits if the numbers went like that. Imagine the opposition "spys" seeing the players emerging from the dressing room. The away team would be frantically swapping shirts pre kick off to counter this leaked team information thus gaining that vital extra 0.001% that makes all the difference at this level.
We need to send our lads out wearing Kendo Nagasaki masks and riding in sedan chairs so the opposition can't work out who's playing until 3 seconds before kick off.

didnt John Flynn prefer 4?? :D

To this day I remain absolutely disgusted by Shaun Murphy wearing Number 7. That was even worse than Beattie wearing 6.

Anybody remember Stuart Balmer who played for Charlton?

He was a defender but wore number 1.

1 GK- Kelly
2 RB- Borbokis
3 LB- Nilsen
4 CM- McCall
5 CD- Morgan
6 CD- Killgallon
7 RW-Devlin
8 CM- Brown
9 ST- Agana
10 ST- Deane
11 Whitehous

I've always loved the perfect way it all just fits together and looks, 'right'.

Just typing it out made me feel warm and safe and gave me hope that one day everything is going to be alright.
Man United lined up 1 to 11 versus us at bramall lane in Dec 93. I was 9 and remember it for that reason. They played in all black.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/sheffield-united-v-manchester-united-07-december-1993-21448/

Here's their squad numbers
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993–94_Manchester_United_F.C._season

Their numbers were a mess though. Lee Sharpe wearing 5 in midfield, Cantona up front in 7. Bruce at CB in 4. Dirty Bastards.

Greatest all time 11.

1 Schmiechel
2 Cafu
3 Roberto Carlos
4 Vieira
5 Cannavaro
6 Moore
7 C. Ronaldo
8 Gerrard
9 Ronaldo
10 Zidane
11 Giggs

No Messi, Maradona or Pele? Cryuff? Bekenbauer?

Not for me.

Messi, Pele and Maradona wore 10, I'd rather have Zidane.

Cruyff* wore 9, Ronaldo was better.

I think Beckenbauer wore 5 but I'd still go for Fabio.

*If you were counting Cruyff for his famous number 14 then I still wouldnt have him. That number belongs to Thierry Henry.

We need to send our lads out wearing Kendo Nagasaki masks...

I love it when a discussion about squad numbers produces a mention of Kendo Nagasaki. I'm hopeful that, within the next five years, we might see a discussion about proposed changes to the offside rule that references Count Bartelli.

Back
Top Bottom