Our support

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FriethBlade

Reaction score
I know its been said many times before but our support is unbelievable.

Only 2 crowds bigger in the Championship yesterday and we got more than Birmingham v Pigs (6th v 8th in country's second biggest city) Burnley v Hull (3rd v 1st) and more than all 3 games in London, 2 of which had big away followings.

Problem is the board seem to be taking this for granted and paradoxically it means McCabe can hang on for longer. A big dip in crowds, however unwelcome it might seem, may cause him to sell up if he can't stomach higher operating losses.

I for one can remember the days when we used to get 12k in times of lower league football and can't understand how the crowds are holding up so well. You only have to look at the crowds Bolton, Blackburn, Cardiff, Charlton, Fulham, QPR et al regularly get to see how committed our support base is.

I thought the same thing yesterday. 5 years in this dire league playing the worst football in over 25 years and yet the support is in and around 20,000. Sadly what's on the pitch doesn't match the support.
Don't you know, "it's our fault"

We deserve so much better it's unreal.

If we ever return to brighter days then the club owes us what Manchester City have experienced during the last 5 years or so!

They too were in the third division not so long ago.

In my first season as a season ticket holder (1999/2000), the average attendance was 13,000. I witnessed an 8k crowd v Port Vale and a 10k v Blackburn and that was in a higher division.
Yes we had the awful Adrian Heath and that fat prick Mike McDonald choking the life out of the club back then, but now we have an ownership which has no idea what it's doing and the most contemptible bunch of players that we must surely have ever known.

I can't account for the consistently fantastic crowds we draw in the clubs darkest moment for 30+ years, I'm at a loss to explain it, but they are a credit to the club which the club itself frankly does not deserve.

If they continue to take this phenomenon for granted, SUFC is fucked. Time to stop mistaking this loyalty for gullibility or soon it will be gone.

It is incredible.

I think it's the ample, convenient parking. The wonderful catering both in terms of quality and price, the friendly, helpful stewards, the pre and in-match entertainment.

And don't forget the bountiful leg room, the luxuriant padded seats, the uninhibited views from the Kop.

The thrilling display of silky attacking football on the pitch is just the icing on the cake.

Sadist's...everywhere.. ;)

We deserve so much better it's unreal.

If we ever return to brighter days then the club owes us what Manchester City have experienced during the last 5 years or so!

They too were in the third division not so long ago.

A mate of mine has been a Man City season ticket holder for years and was when they were in the 3rd division.

He doesn't go anymore. He's bored shitless and doesn't like what money has brought to the club especially the sky high ticket prices. As much as I want success for the Blades I can see his point

Blades fans = salt of the earth. You'll find the essence of football within our intrepid fanbase. Us clapping the players as Dull's goal went in at Wembley; the ape shit atmospheres during the triple assault season (or any other smell of "success") is why I'll never be ashamed to say "I'm with them". I mean, about 20,000 of you mad gits keeping going to the Lane every home game. As Bob Dylan said: "is it me or them that's insane?

Last edited:
A mate of mine has been a Man City season ticket holder for years and was when they were in the 3rd division.

He doesn't go anymore. He's bored shitless and doesn't like what money has brought to the club especially the sky high ticket prices. As much as I want success for the Blades I can see his point
I know both City and Chelsea fans who feel the same way. They both loved it when the money first went in and they started to win things but now 'their' clubs are so far away from what really matters to them that the trophies don't make up for it.

City used to revel in being the underdogs and the real Manchester team, now all this middle eastern money, New stadium etc has taken them miles away from their roots and some of the soul of the club has disappeared as a result.

I can't account for the consistently fantastic crowds we draw in the clubs darkest moment for 30+ years, I'm at a loss to explain it, but they are a credit to the club which the club itself frankly does not deserve.

One theory: the "quid a kid" and its variations, operated throughout the McCabe years years, is probably bearing its forbidden fruit. It's worked in my family - with two junior season tickets bought for a pittance for the past 10 years.

It's commercially smart and far-sighted, akin to the drug pusher operating outside the school gates - hook 'em young and you've got 'em for life! Our younger one's fighting it but the older one is too far gone. Verging on abuse if you ask me.

Bohemian,

Are you trying to say McCabe has been smart and done something right?

That narrow boat company stopped sponsoring us because the association with United was becoming too corrosive.

Bohemian,

Are you trying to say McCabe has been smart and done something right?
The only thing Mccabe has got right since taking over is growing the fan base ,for a club (us fans) that we have been through its quite
Phenominal to have gates around 20,000.what's the attraction ? or are we masochists. Myself and a lot of us will follow the blades to the end
but in the last few years we have some how increase our numbers.It seems the bigger the hole we dig for our self's ,the more fans are willing
To fall into it quite amazing.
Although Mccabe will be happy the fans have stuck by the club he knows it can't go on for ever and unless strides are made to rectify our
position (lower leagues) at some point fans will vote with there feet and stay away.He will be the first to admit mistakes have been made (by him) mainly with picking the wrong man for the job (manager) millions have been wasted while floundering in this division.In my opinion it's illogical that Mccabe is happy with this situation and bringing in the prince 2nds that opinion.It's not worked so far as mistakes have continued to be made (managers) hopefully with Adkins they have finally got it right although he hasn't hit the ground running we have to give
him time he's a. very experienced man hopefully that will be the key.
Ime in total agreement with Adkins on holding back from bringing in squad fillers ,better players than what we have is the only way to go
and holding back is the right way.One or two will come in the loan window ,but if he can't get the players who will make a difference it's best to hold back.Yes there is plenty of players who would improve the team but getting clubs to release them is the problem it seems.

Fan for fan, we're the best in football. The combination of bloody-mindedness, struggle against adversity, 'fuck you, pal' attitude defines our fans. Sure, like all teams, the 'hangers-on' will show up for Wembley (Barnsley reckon they'll take 20-25K for the paintpot trophy :rolleyes:) but to have around 20k 'hard core' fans (we surely invented the word 'diehard') in this, the worst season in decades is phenominal.

When the journey is long, the weather shit and the football shittier, we turn up.

But don't worry, McCabe will fix it next season...

Have any of the spreadsheet lovers done a comparison between the increase in average attendances across the board and us specifically?

Fan for fan, we're the best in football. The combination of bloody-mindedness, struggle against adversity, 'fuck you, pal' attitude defines our fans. Sure, like all teams, the 'hangers-on' will show up for Wembley (Barnsley reckon they'll take 20-25K for the paintpot trophy :rolleyes:) but to have around 20k 'hard core' fans (we surely invented the word 'diehard') in this, the worst season in decades is phenominal.

When the journey is long, the weather shit and the football shittier, we turn up.

We are the greatest there has ever been.

No we're not. We're just football fans of a big club. We're no better than any others (apart from Pigs and Weeds obviously) or worse.

Back
Top Bottom