Has anyone else thought of this dreaded possibility?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Danny_Blade

Reaction score
I'm sure most Blades including myself are already filled with absolute dread at the moment in terms of the sorry state the club is in, and the uncertainty of whether we'll get it right or not within the next season or two.

Thankfully the majority if not all of the players out of contract in the summer are complete dross that we do need rid of, but I've had the dreaded thought that NA (or whoever the manager is) may likely have no choice but to offer some of them renewals due to the squad size becoming too low as there are that many out of contract?? If this becomes the case then this will only prolong our stay down here, continuing the mire we're in.

You might say "well the board will have to give him what is required i.e. a decent transfer AND wage budget", but do we really trust THIS BOARD to do just that? Because honestly I'm not that sure!

Undoubtedly he'll be given funds to make new signings (especially if they don't want another backlash just like the aftermath of the JTW, as I'd imagine the next one would be ten fold!), but what I'm saying is will the board sanction ENOUGH FUNDS as we'll need to bring in a certain amount of players for the many ones that will have been released? Even more so if we want quality players which will be required if we want promotion that is!!

I also think a proportion of the new signings are likely to be on frees but we don't want too many of them do we, because they'll be free for a reason so ideally these should be squad players not first teamers.

Obviously I acknowledge we won't be making a signing for every player that exits, as we're trying to reduce the HUGE size of the squad from about 40 to an ideal 25 - 30 pros max.

I'm sure older generations than me have had it worse as I'm only in my 20's, but over the course of this last week I have never been hurting this much as a Blade previously and I can't honestly see it getting better for a few years to come yet.

Last edited:

Things is, what will happen in the Summer is that a number of players will go

And another lot of "frees", "loans", "academy prospects" will take their place

Only difference being, these will be Adkins' players

No better than this lot, no worse than this lot ................ its the Blades Way

Does anyone think any of the present players will be offered a new contract ?

What pisses people off the most is that when team go in to admin or similar they seem to be able to come out with a good team with no money available. Coventry for example.
I feel like the yank in this scene, dying slowly and pleading for something else to happen. Make your own mind up who the frightened to do owt character is on the stairs.

Reactions: Dkc
I'm sure most Blades including myself are already filled with absolute dread at the moment in terms of the sorry state the club is in, and the uncertainty of whether we'll get it right or not within the next season or two.

Thankfully the majority if not all of the players out of contract in the summer are complete dross that we do need rid of, but I've had the dreaded thought that NA (or whoever the manager is) may likely have no choice but to offer some of them renewals due to the squad size becoming too low as there are that many out of contract?? If this becomes the case then this will only prolong our stay down here, continuing the mire we're in.

You might say "well the board will have to give him what is required i.e. a decent transfer AND wage budget", but do we really trust THIS BOARD to do just that? Because honestly I'm not that sure!

Undoubtedly he'll be given funds to make new signings (especially if they don't want another backlash just like the aftermath of the JTW, as I'd imagine the next one would be ten fold!), but what I'm saying is will the board sanction ENOUGH FUNDS as we'll need to bring in a certain amount of players for the many ones that will have been released? Even more so if we want quality players which will be required if we want promotion that is!!

I also think a proportion of the new signings are likely to be on frees but we don't want too many of them do we, because they'll be free for a reason so ideally these should be squad players not first teamers.

Obviously I acknowledge we won't be making a signing for every player that exits, as we're trying to reduce the HUGE size of the squad from about 40 to an ideal 25 - 30 pros max.

I'm sure older generations than me have had it worse as I'm only in my 20's, but over the course of this last week I have never been hurting this much as a Blade previously and I can't honestly see it getting better for a few years to come yet.

This is were Adkins and Turnbull earn there corn next season . It is a challenge but challenges , being united together , and aim to put the ball in one goal whilst keeping it out of the other is Adkins forte .

Can we succeed even with a poor non leadership board of directors - Yes we can and will.

Just hope Adkins drops the cliches - wears a bit thin when you are shit .

UTB

We have 14 players under contract for 2016/17. All the rest (13 or 14) should go....they may keep Long on a 1 year rolling contract but I would only as back up maybe.

Think contracts for those left end in following...

Sharp - 2017
Adams - 2018
Wallace K - 2018
Brayford - 2018
Basham - 2017
Coutts 2017
Done - 2017
Reed - 2018
Calvert Lewin - 2018
Di Girolamo - 2017
Woolford - 2017
Scougall - 2017
McNulty - 2017
Freeman - 2017

Of those

Scougall
Di Girolamo
Freeman
McNulty

....all seem to be as good as gone. I think all four will have contracts terminated or allowed to move on come end of season with latter two probably ending up at Pompey.

Takes it down to 10.

Calvert Lewin and Reed are not seemingly anywhere near/good enough being regulars and not sure either are quite good enough. Granted DCL had less chances and jury still out. Not sure Reed ever will make it. Been around for 2 years now and not getting any better.

So down to 8!

Woolford, K Wallace are squad players at best I feel. Woolford would be moved on too I think if we could.

So 6 we can consider for the first team....

Done, Adams, Sharp, Brayford, Basham, Coutts left. Many of these been regulars in a side not good enough. I think you can say Brayford and Sharp could start and maybe one of Adams//Done. The other two not sure they are good enough or fit enough in Coutts case.

So.....

2. Brayford
7. Done/Adams
10. Sharp

12. Long
13. K. Wallace
14. Basham
15. Woolford
16. Coutts
17. Adams/Done

The rest:

Reed, Calvert Lewin, 3 or 4 youngsters pushing on to fill out the rest of the squad.

So in short we will need 9/10 players at least I feel. Quite an overhaul but one needed. Bring on the summer for me now.

I reckon he'll give Jaymac a one year extension.......

This is exactly what my fears are based upon, the likes of Collins and McEveley and a few others that MUST leave if we are to start moving in the right direction on the field at least, as I really really can't bare the thought that these two might be offered contract extensions.

If we do, well, this club will just never ever learn will they? We'll only go further backwards.

Does anyone think any of the present players will be offered a new contract ?

I would not keep any - maybe Long as a backup for another year. I see an argument for another year for any of the rest - McEveey has done better but we have K Wallace and he has been poor for most of his spell here.

The reality is I feel Long, McEveley will be given another year. I also sadly think he will bring back Edgar and Hammond too permanently.

So in short we will need 9/10 players at least I feel. Quite an overhaul but one needed. Bring on the summer for me now.

And that's the kind of thing that's worrying me, will the board make available sufficient funds for all of those 9 or 10 incomings we would need? 9 or 10 doesn't sound a lot but knowing this incompetent/unwilling board?? We certainly need those but will they make it happen? They wouldn't sign anyone in the JTW and may not even allow loans to get us through to the end of this season, whether if they've wrote the season off or not we still need at least a couple!

I reckon he'll give Jaymac a one year extension.......
Of course he will, Captain is playing out of his skin (for him anyway) ........

Wait until the ink is dry on the new contract

Bin him, gone, never to be mentioned again

Baxter will go. No doubt of that. Even Adkins has had enough of him I think. The drugs stuff, the alleged fight/incident in Ireland coupled with his inconsistent performances/lack of position means he has to go.

The worrying this is of the 14 left only Brayford, Sharp and at a push Done and Adams should be part of a potential promotion side. So much work to be done but worrying that our scouting network is so poor. I have no confidence we will get the 7 or 8 first team players we need to have a proper go next year.

The worrying this is of the 14 left only Brayford, Sharp and at a push Done and Adams should be part of a potential promotion side. So much work to be done but worrying that our scouting network is so poor. I have no confidence we will get the 7 or 8 first team players we need to have a proper go next year.

Would we be better dumping the academy and hiring six scouts?

I would not keep any - maybe Long as a backup for another year. I see an argument for another year for any of the rest - McEveey has done better but we have K Wallace and he has been poor for most of his spell here.

The reality is I feel Long, McEveley will be given another year. I also sadly think he will bring back Edgar and Hammond too permanently.

I can see and agree with Adkins logic. Hammond will be the first name on the team sheet . The New team will be built around Hammond and Sharp . Both are winners but need hungry young players around them to excell to there full potential. We have ready made leaders already at the club in Hammond and Sharp .Brayford will be sold or added to list of experienced players if he stays.

All other places are up for grabs . Long and McEveley have to be moved on . Adkins has to be totally ruthless for the club and his own sake . His job and reputation will be on the line . We need new fresh faces to get rid of negative , losing mentality players . It can be done on a minimum budget but for sustainability you have to spend at some point . We have to take one step at a time , and Adkins and Turnbull sort this club and themselves out.

UTB

Seen nothing in Hammond to suggest he should be part of things. He looks far from a winner at the moment or a leader. He does not rally the side, rarely see him getting control of midfield or helping the side keep any shape. His cynical fouls and trips are annoying and does not help the side. He offers little with the ball and seems a player that looks 'done'. Be a stupid signing and the type that has set this club back so much over the last 7-8 years+

We have 14 players under contract for 2016/17. All the rest (13 or 14) should go....they may keep Long on a 1 year rolling contract but I would only as back up maybe.

Think contracts for those left end in following...

Sharp - 2017
Adams - 2018
Wallace K - 2018
Brayford - 2018
Basham - 2017
Coutts 2017
Done - 2017
Reed - 2018
Calvert Lewin - 2018
Di Girolamo - 2017
Woolford - 2017
Scougall - 2017
McNulty - 2017
Freeman - 2017

Of those

Scougall
Di Girolamo
Freeman
McNulty

....all seem to be as good as gone. I think all four will have contracts terminated or allowed to move on come end of season with latter two probably ending up at Pompey.

Takes it down to 10.

Calvert Lewin and Reed are not seemingly anywhere near/good enough being regulars and not sure either are quite good enough. Granted DCL had less chances and jury still out. Not sure Reed ever will make it. Been around for 2 years now and not getting any better.

So down to 8!

Woolford, K Wallace are squad players at best I feel. Woolford would be moved on too I think if we could.

So 6 we can consider for the first team....

Done, Adams, Sharp, Brayford, Basham, Coutts left. Many of these been regulars in a side not good enough. I think you can say Brayford and Sharp could start and maybe one of Adams//Done. The other two not sure they are good enough or fit enough in Coutts case.

So.....

2. Brayford
7. Done/Adams
10. Sharp

12. Long
13. K. Wallace
14. Basham
15. Woolford
16. Coutts
17. Adams/Done

The rest:

Reed, Calvert Lewin, 3 or 4 youngsters pushing on to fill out the rest of the squad.

Very similar to my list here: http://www.scandinavianblades.com/a.../43772367-huge-clear-out-expected-this-summer

Good summary that Bergen. Enjoyed reading that

Some of us older generations have also seen it a lot better, such as early 70's under John Harris, 90's under Bassett etc. You have youth on your side though lad, so hopefully you will see some good times as a Blade too (eventually) :)

Didn't Wednesday want to buy the academy from us last year? If it's that that's bogging us down then I say let them have it. It hasn't produced a single real first team player in 5 years

It would be shocking to do that, it would only send us backwards. I know it's not exactly churning out quality young players at the moment but it's one of the best in the country and the only good thing left at the club!!

I know it hasn't produced many youngsters of note in the last few years, but given time it will start to improve again especially if we can get some stability back at the club.

To me that's why this jtw is so baffling. Surly knowing that we need so many new players in the summer, bringing 3 in Jan would have made more sense giving them more time to settle at the club, getting a full preseason in with us. It's the blades way to leave things till the last hour then we will be panic buying to just fill the match day squad

To be honest the lot could go and we would be better off. Manager gets his own players in and then he can be held accountable for what happens. There isn't a single player at the club right now I care that much if they are gone. That is how poor we have become.

Cut the cancer out and let's start again. No new contracts for those who got us into this mess.

In my very limited contact with the current Sheffield United academy, I would conclude they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery, even less harness any footballing talent.

I think any hope of bringing through any home grown talent disappeared along with Ron Reid and to a lesser extent, John Pemberton. :(

To me that's why this jtw is so baffling. Surly knowing that we need so many new players in the summer, bringing 3 in Jan would have made more sense giving them more time to settle at the club, getting a full preseason in with us. It's the blades way to leave things till the last hour then we will be panic buying to just fill the match day squad
WE CANT AFFORD EM!!!

Back
Top Bottom