What keeps you supporting Blades?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Gavlar

eternal pessimist
Reaction score
One definition of insanity is supposedly that you keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

Well being a Blades fan is similar to this no? Its an interesting thing to think about!

3rd Division for the 6th year, 12th place, no signs of promotion. Why the hell do you bother still turning up
to watch the utter crap that we are being served?

Are we insane?!!I

I don't go very often, living down south but for those of you who go regularly, I take my hat off to you.

Gavlar.

Purely to see my mates. We've all got that much going on that it's rare were all together at the same time. So United has been the constant. That said, we've had very few games where we've all been there this season

One definition of insanity is supposedly that you keep doing the same thing and expect different results.

Well being a Blades fan is similar to this no? Its an interesting thing to think about!

3rd Division for the 6th year, 12th place, no signs of promotion. Why the hell do you bother still turning up

Are we insane?!!I

I don't go very often, living down south but for those of you who go regularly, I take my hat off to you.

Gavlar.

For me it's quite simple really

They call it idiocy :D

Disappointed to know I've been displaying insane characteristics these last three years.

Glad to know I won't be anymore.

Its some sort of bond. you darent leave cos it will leave a huge gap in your life. something no other football club can take the place of. That feeling will never leave you no matter how hard you try you realise you cant fight it.its called LOYALTY

We not so different to the vast majority of fans of most clubs, except they all follow the wrong team.

I stood on a freezing wet terrace watching Rugby Town draw 1-1 with Spalding yesterday afternoon. I don't get that often, but the same few dozen people are always there. What keeps them supporting Rugby Town? Or the dozen or so who had come from Spalding?

We not so different to the vast majority of fans of most clubs, except they all follow the wrong team.

I stood on a freezing wet terrace watching Rugby Town draw 1-1 with Spalding yesterday afternoon. I don't get that often, but the same few dozen people are always there. What keeps them supporting Rugby Town? Or the dozen or so who had come from Spalding?

Belonging .

UTB

The longer you spend trudging through the desert, more more bullets you dodge, the better the pint of chilled lager tastes when you get to the bar.

2101-2.jpg

Living away since '93 it's the memories, not so much of the football but the school friends I don't see, the growing up years and the bond with my past that are all provided by the constant that is United.

Its hearing Sheffield accents at away games, seeing people you don't know but recognise from past matches and the only opportunity I have to drink Bovril.

Its about days out to new places I wouldn't ever go to, dragging along Southern mates, drinking in as many ale houses pre and post match as I can and meeting other fans at the transport rail crossovers and being proud to say Im a Blade.

It's treating the missus by taking her away to places like Reading, Cardiff, Bournemouth and Ipswich where she can wander round Poundland whilst I watch our footballing equivalent.

Its about incredible highs and unforgettable lows that place many other things into perspective. We are a team unlike many others for our roller coaster existence and one of the genuine teams in the land.

It's about having no Wards or Stones to sup, no Limit club, X clothes and Scott's barbers, so a man has to have an anchor when he's home and that is provided by United.

The Blades are probably the only constant in my life since the age of 8, outside of my family, and long may that be the case. Rain or shine, to be a Bladesman is a journey in life and we should be privileged to be part of it.

UTB.

Are we insane?!!I

Gavlar.
5th year isn't it? If it's the 6th then thAts embarrassing for a club of this size ;)

Anyway the reason I still support this team, is because of its character and my family history is based around Sheffield United. And who wants to win every week?:(

It's the nearest thing I'll ever have to a religion. And like a religion it compels me to visit the Church Of Bramall Lane on Saturdays, mix with my brothers and sisters from the congregation and sit through the sermon, no matter how shit it is.

Bramall Lane Baptists.:)

It's about my parents, it's about me and them and my old neighbourhood and childhood; it's about the missus and my united pals: all those Wednesday fans at work and at school all those years ago,;it's part of my life, my DNA, always will be, for better or worse.

Last edited:

Are we insane?!!I

Gavlar.

Was born in Sheffield, in the late sixties both United and Wednesday were in the old first division, I lived at Dial Way Sheffield Lane Top S5, one week I went to see Wednesday the following week United. In 1970 at the age of 15, I joined the Army was stationed at Shrewsbury I guess it was 1971 The Blades were playing at Everton and on top of the division every weekend the Army put on a bus to a game, I till remember being beat up and having all my clothes and money taken and walking back to the bus naked apart from my socks and underpants. That day I was a Blade. Today I love being a Blades fan we are all fans for one reason or another, for me its to bond with my son who is 24, we travel 300 miles every home game and we never miss any games just to be with him for those 12 hours is worth every second of the 90 minutes win or lose.

Because I'm two sandwiches short of a picnic...the lift doesn't go all the way to the top floor....
I also like the bovril, the meat and potatoe pie which are so expensive I can't afford to eat for the rest of the week.

I'm cursed because I was also away representing Queen and country (RAF not prison) in 1971 to 74 our "glory yea s". Funnily enough I think being a Blade has made me more resilient in life generally, having to defend my position against all the odds.

Just grateful for this message board

The season Weir was in charge I had a season out and didn't renew my season ticket.
I had become disillusioned with footballers not the game itself. I couldn't understand how you could get paid so much money, not give a shit on the pitch and behave like a twat off it ( it's got worse since)
That season I realised I missed match day. Not the match (the couple of hours from 3pm ruin a perfectly good day) but the day itself.
I'm back now but with my youngest in tow. He still thinks its great so I can't see me giving up again any time soon even though this season is rapidly going downhill

Back
Top Bottom