Norwich Away.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Woodwardfan

Woodwardfan
Reaction score
Watching Arsenal at Norwich has just reminded me of a cup game many years ago. We played them off the park, lost 3-2 I think and typical United, we are the perpetual "hard done-by's".

We were 2nd tier, they were top tier.

Deane, Agana.....football heaven and we knew it at the time.

We were "on the up". It will happen again.

One day our luck will change and everything will be positive. Football's like that.

I'll go with Adkins.

KTF.

Watching Arsenal at Norwich has just reminded me of a cup game many years ago. We played them off the park, lost 3-2 I think and typical United, we are the perpetual "hard done-by's".

One day our luck will change and everything will be positive. Football's like that.

I'll go with Adkins.

KTF.

We were third tier

Great post , I too remember going to that game , think they were top of the league or not far off ! Great day , crammed in like sardines days like that live long in the memory especially when you were at school at the time " Once a Blade ........ "

I'll go with Adkins.

KTF.

We were in the 3rd tier and it was the 5th round.

Funnily enough that cup run was surpassed by Clough twice in the past two years, yet he was deemed surplus to requirements by you and those that run the club.

We were in the 3rd tier and it was the 5th round.

Funnily enough that cup run was surpassed by Clough twice in the past two years, yet he was deemed surplus to requirements by you and those that run the club.
Cups used to mean something in them days

Cups used to mean something in them days
Yes, as soon as clubs like Manure decided to fuck them off they lost a bit of gloss for me, although they were good days those cup runs under Clough.

Yes, as soon as clubs like Manure decided to fuck them off they lost a bit of gloss for me, although they were good days those cup runs under Clough.
The first season yes but the next season they were nothing more than a distraction
And showed the players up for the spineless arsesacks they are now

Reminds of the scene in schindlers list where the nazi officer times the old man making the shell part and then shoots him as if he was making them all as fast as that he would be producing a lot more

I played cricket against Steve Thompson a few years ago. He was keeping wicket for Bracebridge Heath and decided he wanted a few words with me as I walked out to bat. After listening to him for a bit I turned around and told him to shut up as I wanted to play cricket and if he continued I would be left with little choice but to tell all and sundry about his own goal that day. He laughed and kept quiet from then on.

A common and popular misconception.

Man United didn't have much choice in regards to not entering the cup in 2000. They were under huge pressure from the FA and Government to enter the World Club Championship in Brazil due to England's impending World Cup bid. They were basically told they had to enter it. So their only option would have been to enter a youth team in the 3rd round of the cup, Ferguson didn't want to do this as not to diminish the cup and the clubs reputation should they draw one of the big clubs in the 3rd round.

It was lose lose for them, and it ended up just being another stick for media and fans who hated Man United to beat them with.

Since Man United pulled out of that FA Cup i 2000 they went onto win the FA Cup in 2004, finalists in 2005 and 2006, and went onto win the League Cup in 2006, 2009, 2010, as well as finalists in 2003.......hardly deciding to "fuck off" cup competitions is it.

Good day out, but I remember them being the better team.

This was the days when being in the fifth round was like being in outer space.

Man United didn't have much choice in regards to not entering the cup in 2000. They were under huge pressure from the FA and Government to enter the World Club Championship in Brazil due to England's impending World Cup bid. They were basically told they had to enter it. So their only option would have been to enter a youth team in the 3rd round of the cup, Ferguson didn't want to do this as not to diminish the cup and the clubs reputation should they draw one of the big clubs in the 3rd round.

It was lose lose for them, and it ended up just being another stick for media and fans who hated Man United to beat them with.

Since Man United pulled out of that FA Cup i 2000 they went onto win the FA Cup in 2004, finalists in 2005 and 2006, and went onto win the League Cup in 2006, 2009, 2010, as well as finalists in 2003.......hardly deciding to "fuck off" cup competitions is it.

Might have known you were a Mancs fan.That explains a lot!

We were third tier

Wow, it was an even better day than I remembered!!

And we have been in the third tier before, fourth too in fact and recovered. And so we will.

No need for your one-man protest next home game LS2, or have you forgotten that?

Good old Fergie eh, he didn't want to do this or he didn't want to do that, he could do what he liked and it suited him to opt out that year, a pathetic excuse.

They have often played reserve teams and youngsters in cups and got past teams.

I couldn't give a fuck what they did after either as that has fuck all to do with pulling out the season they did.

It has nothing to do with hating Manure either as i liked the fact that they attacked until the end and never knew when to give up, this however doesn't change the fact that the decision to pull out of the greatest cup competition on earth stunk to high heaven.

What?? Explains what exactly, pure common sense?

No mate, just a football fan who appreciates facts, and dislikes lazy media (and fans) who distort said facts to support their own stupid arguments and agendas.

Not a Mancs fan then??

I remember going once on a minibus of Utd 'ne'er do wells' and pulling up at some traffic lights outside Norwich ,when a Motorbike gang of about 20 pulled up alongside us. Our front seat passenger (who's name is a poster on here) would the window down and said to the one at the front 'What you fucking looking at Greebo' All hell let loose as they got off their bikes and Blades came from all over in the traffic jam ,they had the upper hand and we all jumped back in the van ,they followed us to about Sleaford and we didn't get a drink until just after Dunham Bridge. Even then the landlord called the kops and we ended up back in town for about 9. I avoided mini buses from Pond st for a couple of seasons after that. Port Vale and Leeds were similar events with similar characters.

Not a Mancs fan then??

Are you stupid?

Why would I be a man united fan and spend so much time posting on here? just because I wrote something that was factually correct makes me a man united fan? Ha ha.

I could have recited that since 2000 the big four or five Premier League clubs have won 23 out of the 30 FA Cup and League Cup finals, not to mention being runners up or in semi finals. So that debunks the common misconception that the big clubs, or Man United etc. "fuck off" the cup competitions, and shows that Man United pulling out of the cup in 2000 has had naff all affect on cup competitions. The notion that big clubs don't take the cups seriously and that the cups have been ruined in nonsense, and just crap that is peddled out by media every year.

Are you stupid?

Why would I be a man united fan and spend so much time posting on here? just because I wrote something that was factually correct makes me a man united fan? Ha ha.

I could have recited that since 2000 the big four or five Premier League clubs have won 23 out of the 30 FA Cup and League Cup finals, not to mention being runners up or in semi finals. So that debunks the common misconception that the big clubs, or Man United etc. "fuck off" the cup competitions, and shows that Man United pulling out of the cup in 2000 has had naff all affect on cup competitions. The notion that big clubs don't take the cups seriously and that the cups have been ruined in nonsense, and just crap that is peddled out by media every year.

I must be stupid, but answer the question, yes or no, do you support Man Utd?

You say this, then you go on to say this.

So where did i say they fuck off other cup competitions, or do you just want to support your own stupid argument ;)

You said it in reply to Judge:

Cups used to mean something in them days - JUDGE

Yes, as soon as clubs like Manure decided to fuck them off they lost a bit of gloss for me, although they were good days those cup runs under Clough. - YOU

So you were implying clubs like Manure decided to fuck of "cups".

My point was aimed mainly at media and fans in general.

quite right mate,if SUFC were that lucky would they have done the same as MU ? yes they would because they would have no option and we would have to put up with the media shit,people should read the facts properly

I'll go with Adkins.

KTF.

I've got the match on DVD. Norwich had a bloody good team at the time.

I must be stupid, but answer the question, yes or no, do you support Man Utd?

No you prat.

I support Sheffield United. hence why I post on a Sheffield United message board on a weekly basis. If you hadn't noticed we're mid table in League 1. Why would anyone who supported another club invest time into posting about us on this board.

No you prat.

I support Sheffield United. hence why I post on a Sheffield United message board on a weekly basis. If you hadn't noticed we're mid table in League 1. Why would anyone who supported another club invest time into posting about us on this board.

I'll ignore the name-calling.

Fair enough. Some people support more than one team though, I'm sure you appreciate that, being aware of so many facts etc.

I suspected the Mancs were you're second love, obviously I am wrong. Quite a few on here do.

I'll ignore the name-calling.

Fair enough. Some people support more than one team though, I'm sure you appreciate that, being aware of so many facts etc.

I suspected the Mancs were you're second love, obviously I am wrong. Quite a few on here do.

No Woodwardfan, definitely not one of those who support more than one club. Never understood that.

Just because I have a knowledge for football, stats and facts doesn't mean I support a second club. Just means I have a passion for the game and history, love reading autobiography's and do have a love for the cup competitions.

You said it in reply to Judge:

Cups used to mean something in them days - JUDGE

Yes, as soon as clubs like Manure decided to fuck them off they lost a bit of gloss for me, although they were good days those cup runs under Clough. - YOU

So you were implying clubs like Manure decided to fuck of "cups".

My point was aimed mainly at media and fans in general.
I haven't said anything about Manure fucking off other cup comps though which i was replying to due to the fact that you enhanced your argument by saying they have won cups since, that's all. My post was aimed at the one time they did it which left a bitter taste in my mouth as it was all to do with money yet again and fuck all to do with football. Perhaps i could've worded it better originally but there you have it mate.

I prob remember more about the trip over there. Mate had a Peugot 205 GT black and red and he drove to the match. It was a hairy journey but nothing as dramatic as Sitwell experienced. Good atmosphere, we acquitted ourselves well but were outclassed.
Just showed we could compete. Deane and Agana were terrific. What a pair they were. Top strikers.

This one's in my personal pantheon of all time great Blades away days.

Stayed in a B&B the night before with my brother and a couple of London based Blades. Got chased out of The Murderers Arms in the city centre for singing ' Brian Deane and Tony Agana bibberley bobbley boo' the night before, maybe for being out of tune ?... couldn't run like that now, chuffing nora there were loads of em..

Took an inflatable crocodile to the match in Blades shirt ( it was a late eighties things kids). They were second top in the top flight at the time and going great guns, we went toe to toe and a draw would have been fair. Tremendous performance.The support was pretty unreal.Spine tingling. I stood at a 45 degree angle to the pitch wedged in the whole game, literally couldn't move.

I broke my duck in getting a letter printed in the Green Un the week after , very proud of one line - ' History tells us third division sides don't win the FA Cup, so let's go again and get promotion', nestling amongst a body of average prose.

I took it up to the Norfolk Arms in Greno to show my Dad who after reading it commented - ' surely history reminds rather that tells ..?' Cheers Dad.

Bryson was magic that day , as were our heroes up front.

Went to the Shrewsbury debacle the other night and the polarisation didn't seem 26 calendar years apart, try light years.

Listened to Brayford talking to Biggsy on tinterweb yesterday. He gets it, hope he's a good teacher.

We need summat.

UTB one and all x

No Woodwardfan, definitely not one of those who support more than one club. Never understood that.

Just because I have a knowledge for football, stats and facts doesn't mean I support a second club. Just means I have a passion for the game and history, love reading autobiography's and do have a love for the cup competitions.

Such a generous view of Ferguson's attitude to the F.A, Cup in those days that's all.; very generous.

Back
Top Bottom