Flares

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Grey Blade

Reaction score
3 or 4 set off during the first half today. They seemed to come from a long way back and it was more by good luck than judgement that they didn't land in the crowd. I'm usually fairly relaxed about flares but for some idiot to set one off at half time in the concourse under the stand was crazy. With it being cold and wet, a large number of fans had congregated there so it was very congested, and I suggest anyone with asthma or any other form of chronic breathing difficulties could have been in big trouble - largely because of the crush of people blocking the exits to some fresh air.

Anyone who knows these idiots please have a quiet word - before they contribute to killing someone

3 or 4 set off during the first half today. They seemed to come from a long way back and it was more by good luck than judgement that they didn't land in the crowd. I'm usually fairly relaxed about flares but for some idiot to set one off at half time in the concourse under the stand was crazy. With it being cold and wet, a large number of fans had congregated there so it was very congested, and I suggest anyone with asthma or any other form of chronic breathing difficulties could have been in big trouble - largely because of the crush of people blocking the exits to some fresh air.

Anyone who knows these idiots please have a quiet word - before they contribute to killing someone
If they can get flares in, then Isis will get a bomb in... I need to stop reading the mail

They were picking about 1 in 50 out for a search yet had enough coppers and stewards to make everyone a cup of tea.

I'm not in any way relaxed about flares, I think any idiot that sets one off in a crowded place ought to be arrested, band and heavily fined.....
It makes me laugh that the authorities struggle to find them...

The whole point of a distress flare is to pinpoint the location of someone/ something often from miles and miles away...

The fact that he stewards/ police can't find the idiots in a stadium is just ridiculous

Out of interest was anyone hurt?

Serious Crime Bill [HL]

Flares, fireworks and smoke bombs are dangerous when used inappropriately. Flares – often manufactured for legitimate military, maritime or transport purposes – can burn as hot as 1,600°C for as long as an hour. Any burns caused by a flare are likely to be extreme. Fireworks can be equally dangerous, with a simple sparkler burning up to 2000°C and rockets travelling at up to 150 miles per hour. Smoke bombs can also burn at high temperatures. They are designed for use in open spaces and can be dangerous in confined spaces for those with asthma and breathing difficulties

Legislation has existed since 1985 concerning the use of pyrotechnics at football grounds. Under the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985 it is an offence for a person to enter or attempt to enter a football ground while in possession of a flare, smoke bomb or firework. The sentence for these offences can be as much as three months in prison, and in many cases, fans who have no previous convictions are given prison sentences for attempting to enter a football ground with a smoke bomb in their pocket as the courts take these offences very seriously. Recently, fans who have been caught at football matches with smoke bombs have been given sentences between 1 and 2 months and banned from returning to football grounds for up to 6 years. This demonstrates the severity with which authorities treat this issue when it relates to football matches.

Serious Crime Bill [HL]

Flares, fireworks and smoke bombs are dangerous when used inappropriately. Flares – often manufactured for legitimate military, maritime or transport purposes – can burn as hot as 1,600°C for as long as an hour. Any burns caused by a flare are likely to be extreme. Fireworks can be equally dangerous, with a simple sparkler burning up to 2000°C and rockets travelling at up to 150 miles per hour. Smoke bombs can also burn at high temperatures. They are designed for use in open spaces and can be dangerous in confined spaces for those with asthma and breathing difficulties

Legislation has existed since 1985 concerning the use of pyrotechnics at football grounds. Under the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985 it is an offence for a person to enter or attempt to enter a football ground while in possession of a flare, smoke bomb or firework. The sentence for these offences can be as much as three months in prison, and in many cases, fans who have no previous convictions are given prison sentences for attempting to enter a football ground with a smoke bomb in their pocket as the courts take these offences very seriously. Recently, fans who have been caught at football matches with smoke bombs have been given sentences between 1 and 2 months and banned from returning to football grounds for up to 6 years. This demonstrates the severity with which authorities treat this issue when it relates to football matches.
Can someone explain to me why anyone on a cold wet afternoon in Barnsley of right mind would go to the effort of acquiring and smuggling smokebombs into the ground ?

Can someone explain to me why anyone on a cold wet afternoon in Barnsley of right mind would go to the effort of acquiring and smuggling smokebombs into the ground ?

Because they're too thick to understand the possible consequences for themselves or any other innocent bystanders

On at least two occasions flares landed within our own fans. And it's far from the first time. Braindead wankers.

Can I suggest that if the police can't catch them we gently resolve the issue thus....
If you see anyone setting a smoke bomb off give the soft twat a good slap....
Self policing works.
A couple came from near where I was but you have no chance of spotting who it was ,I must admit I would definitely have a word ,it will be a kid or a retard.

They were smoke bombs not flares, do we even know if a smoke bomb is dangerous in any way?

It's not my thing, but worth remembering the greatest ever away showing from the Blades was *that* away end at Hillsborough - packed full of flares, flags and banners. And what a result as well! ;)

Now they were flares!

Ian St John said it was like something from a Milan derby ( or something like that I haven't watched the video for a while)

Never seen it on there, I recorded the game off Sky.

Check out these football flares!
ee84de706b063a81d495204a31db7b44.jpg

Flares first became 'popular' to my memory about '87. They were actual naval distress flares that could be fired with some trajectory at opposition fans. They were reasonably powerful and obviously burnt. From strictly, what I've heard, they could scatter others. Certainly the crouched position crossing ones hand as if to unleash did cause concern amongst opposition fans, I've heard.

Smoke devices, often with colour, have no projectile capability (unless thrown by spineless chav twats) and can add atmosphere in A STAND if held aloft. Thrown onto fellow Blades is, as suggested, is a serious twatting offence and equally a confined space impresses no one and again, as suggested, can affect decent folks and deserves a twatting.

So, either use a flare and take your sentence, hold it yourself in a ventilated area with at least 30 feet above you and take your ban or just grow up and wave a flag if that's your bag. Just don't impose your knobheadery on others.

I now think there are sufficient Blades who will deter a user....

I have a copy "somewhere" on VHS video - if someone on here can convert to digital then I can dig it out.

UTB
You're the only person that would be able to do that.

If you don't have one already, just pick up a cheap AV cable and use that.

Rod, the best away gameof my life banging the wooden seats at ever corner, my lad was really young and coming out 5 mins. Before theend listening to we beat the scum 5 - 1 easily my favourite memory of an away memory ever,

Some lads a few rows behind me chucked them last time we were there not surprised they got them in tho security at Barnsley is shit n ours is that good I get my pockets searched when i have my rolling tin and tobacco in my pocket they hit one of the fans at the front last time as well one landed in his hood gonna happen all the time until someone sorts security out at games

Back
Top Bottom