Get a grip.......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

maidmarion

Reaction score
anyone would think we were bottom of the league. Yes we've lost again , but it's not the end of the world, I've even read a comment saying it's the worst we've ever been........some of you aren't old enough to remember the worst we've ever been.
We are were we are because we have bad players. I do believe that the manager will turn it round and I now believe that he's finally realised that you cannot make silk purses out of these sows ears.hopefully that will mean that he brings in loan players, but only if they enhance the team and of course if they or the team that they currently play for want them to come.
I do realise that patience is a dirty word and I also realise that we have spent a long time in this division.
We have had too many managers . Let's not call for Adkins head....we have to let him get on with his job and fingers crossed this time we'll get out of this league.
Remember United is for ever...........

we're not calling for his head but he's not above criticism and needs to take responsibility for his mistakes. If NC was still in charge he'd be getting Hell from fans every day.

It's early days in the league, and you're right, we're not far off top, but we've seen this all before. We're vastly unlikely to be going up with what we have now.

Do you know who really needs to get a grip the players. We have lost 3 out of our last 6 games. Fans aren't going to be happy, sorry but just the way its going to be as long as we are stuck in this league, our fans are going to get more and more frustrated each season we are here.

Totally agree with op. I was there today and it's ever more evident that we need to ship out the dross.

Out of today's team I would keep Done, Adams, Kennedy, Baxter, Sharp and Collins.
Maybe a proper leader (new pkayer) in the middle will force the others to play to their best consistently.

Done and Adams must start the next league match imo.

Next up Rochdale

UTB

I think it's fairly obvious NA needs time. The frustrating thing for me is that despite most of us knowing for some time that we aren't good enough, there seems to be a complete lack of ability to recognise this, or indeed address it

Yes, as I say, this takes time but bearing in mind we've had one transfer window and there's been no movement at all thus far this loan window, it's understandable fans are getting frustrated. With each passing week, our failings become more apparent. How long before we hear the same owd, same owd "there's always the Jan window"

Well before Jan, this season will have come and gone at this rate. 11 games in and already 8 points behind the financially clouted might of big boys Burton :(

He's isn't going to get time if what he has meant to have said is true; "we need to go up this season."

Totally agree with op. I was there today and it's ever more evident that we need to ship out the dross.

Out of today's team I would keep Done, Adams, Kennedy, Baxter, Sharp and Collins.
Maybe a proper leader (new pkayer) in the middle will force the others to play to their best consistently.

Done and Adams must start the next league match imo.

Next up Rochdale

UTB

I was there today and if you think Adams should start based on his showing today you need to go to Specsavers.

Adkins tactics were poor today. We started well but once they started to out muscle us he didn't change it. Edgar was obviously injured after around 30mins and it was obvious we needed pace as they were sitting deeper due to our lack of it.
Our midfield players narrow which means when Freeman pushed forward hey hit the ball into the gap and pulled our centre backs apart. We can see this in the stand so why can't Adkins.
Our passing was negative and there was a distinct lack of responsibility on the ball.
Whilst I agree we have dross ( and who will have them?) our manager has to take a major share of the blame today

Yes I would keep Adams. I would start him against Rochdale as we have nothing else on offer.
Adkins can only work with what we currently have. He won't get it right every time but with players that want to win and want to bust a gut every time they pull on the shirt then the chance Adkins will get it right. Ship out the dross that he inherited. It can't be done over night granted but it must be done.
Season not over, long long way to go.

anyone would think we were bottom of the league. Yes we've lost again , but it's not the end of the world, I've even read a comment saying it's the worst we've ever been........some of you aren't old enough to remember the worst we've ever been.
We are were we are because we have bad players. I do believe that the manager will turn it round and I now believe that he's finally realised that you cannot make silk purses out of these sows ears.hopefully that will mean that he brings in loan players, but only if they enhance the team and of course if they or the team that they currently play for want them to come.
I do realise that patience is a dirty word and I also realise that we have spent a long time in this division.
We have had too many managers . Let's not call for Adkins head....we have to let him get on with his job and fingers crossed this time we'll get out of this league.

I don't think anyone is calling for Adkins head..

I think the majority of Blades (me included) are at the lowest point they've been since we were relegated to the 4th tier. This is currently as bad as its ever been, and why??...
  • no consistency in the players or teams performances, despite a new manager.
  • no progress since the "investment" in 2013.
  • a generally spineless and gutless group of players with no fight, no leadership and no will to win.
  • consistently losing to or failing to beat clubs with a fraction of our budget, turnover and supporter base.
  • A complete failure by the board and management teams to recruit what is needed to get out of this division ever since we lost to Huddersfield in the play off final.
  • Consistently selling our best players each season i.e. Quinn, Williamson, Lowton, Blackman, Maguire, Murphy.
  • Failure to invest and recruit this year. Only 500K spent on Sharp, Sammon and Edgar on loan (how much do they really care) and Woolford on a free who's crap.
Unless we BUY two center halves, a left back, a powerful and strong center mid, maybe a better keeper we are going no where this season. And as others have alluded to, every Blade on the planet could have told Adkins and the Board that in May - yet none of those players have been brought in.

We will not go up this season. What will happen is that we will try to make do until January and fall further behind the top two.

By mid January we will be about 12 point off automatic. We'll make a token "big" signing to show our "intent". It will be too little too late. We will then lose in the play offs or miss out all together.

Adkins will be the scapegoat and get the boot, we'll hire someone like Phil Parkinson and the cycle will start all over again.

Please show me a single poster who has called for Adkins head? He has inherited a squad of mediocre to poor players, had our best player sold out from under him and is restricted in the transfer market due to the previous incumbent blowing the budget on a recklessly random splurge in January.

The board is to blame if you want to blame anyone.

I think the majority of Blades (me included) are at the lowest point they've been since we were relegated to the 4th tier. This is currently as bad as its ever been, and why??...
  • a generally spineless and gutless group of players with no fight, no leadership and no will to win.
  • consistently losing to or failing to beat clubs with a fraction of our budget, turnover and supporter base.
  • A complete failure by the board and management teams to recruit what is needed to get out of this division ever since we lost to Huddersfield in the play off final.
  • Consistently selling our best players each season i.e. Quinn, Williamson, Lowton, Blackman, Maguire, Murphy.
  • Failure to invest and recruit this year. Only 500K spent on Sharp, Sammon and Edgar on loan (how much do they really care) and Woolford on a free who's crap.
Unless we BUY two center halves, a left back, a powerful and strong center mid, maybe a better keeper we are going no where this season. And as others have alluded to, every Blade on the planet could have told Adkins and the Board that in May - yet none of those players have been brought in.

We will not go up this season. What will happen is that we will try to make do until January and fall further behind the top two.

By mid January we will be about 12 point off automatic. We'll make a token "big" signing to show our "intent". It will be too little too late. We will then lose in the play offs or miss out all together.

Adkins will be the scapegoat and get the boot, we'll hire someone like Phil Parkinson and the cycle will start all over again.

Great post

Brilliant post. Spot on in every way.

Please show me a single poster who has called for Adkins head? He has inherited a squad of mediocre to poor players, had our best player sold out from under him and is restricted in the transfer market due to the previous incumbent blowing the budget on a recklessly random splurge in January.

The board is to blame if you want to blame anyone.

Nobody at all is calling for Adkins head , even today at the match . The only conclusion i have is that its only us fans , and Adkins to some extend , realise we are in league 1 . Our support , facilities , just blind and delude everyone else ( players , board , JP , Brannigan ) . The realisation is that the players cannot man up , collectively they are just not commited / good enough . It may sound crazy , but players like these guys , get you into a relegation fight , and we aint got the fight to get out of that mess.

We do have serious problems and its the overall calibre of players we have , who are not mentally and physically hard enough for league 1.

Sorry , but from a ex Clough clapper , we have got problems , and Adkins eyes are galzing over , because he has not got the money , players , o r a answer to overcome our problems.

Whose to blame , everybody , except the silly bugger fans , who keep turning up in there droves.

Confused and frustrated UTB.

^ Think that were you Roy, better answer to your actions fella:D

I said its the worst I've known in my 30 years of watching them (bit less than 30 to be honest) and I'm afraid it is. I think this team will finish lower than any other United side I have personally watched unless something dramatically changes

That's basically it . Superb post

Name two seasons we worse than this

The mentality and attitude of the players has not changed in 4 or 5 years. Likes of Collins, Howard, Flynn, Baxter, Basham, McEveley and many more are in short; soft as shite.

They do not have the drive, urgency or passion to take this side up. They are in affect just playing games and no one actually has done anything of a consistent nature in the last few years to say you know what I want to get out of this bloody division. they have a half arsed attitude that seems to suggest they think they will win games without actually putting the effort in needed. The record of won 5, drew 2 and lost 4 and beat none of the top 10 (only Peterborough in top half) shows these players do not get it. Do you know what ability wise as crap as many of them are they are and still should be better than Bury, Colchester, Port Valle etc even with weaknesses we do have. The fact we cannot beat these teams is as much down to effort, application and heart as errors/poor skill (obviously big factors too).

They all have had too many chances now. I do wonder what they think will happen to them when they get released at the end of the season (the 15 or so out of contract) ? Do they genuinely think anyone higher up the pyramid would want them. Most will end up back in Scotland, even lower in League 1 or League 2 at best. With Murphy gone other than maybe Sharp and promise of Adams/Done, not one other player has shown they could play at a higher level.

Name two seasons we worse than this

We were worse under Weir but had better players with Maguire etc still around. In terms of the side and comparison to Clough. I see very little difference in performances and results. That is not a dig at Adkins...or maybe it is. He needs time and has been left with dross but I really thought he had enough about him to ship out much of the dross and be a bit more ruthless. If he does not act quickly, then he will find himself under pressure too although he does need some help, he still has enough resources to have us doing much, much better. It still would take something disastrous for us to remove the manager again. We cannot keep changing managers and hope somehow he can do something this year we will have to wait for the summer cull when we can move on well over 2/3's of the squad for him to have a proper go next season. That sickens me that we will have another year at this level but I don't see a promotion mentality in hardly any oof these players in a million years. They are ordinary Joes. In mindset and ability. Said for ages we need some winners. We have a squad full with the mind set of 'turn up and what happens, happens'

The big problem with wanting to have patience and/or wait for Adkins to turn it around is that 20 minutes in the car park after his interview chatting to 10 fans would have seen him on the right road instead of all this second chance/re-coach them bollocks.

I think it's fairly obvious NA needs time. The frustrating thing for me is that despite most of us knowing for some time that we aren't good enough, there seems to be a complete lack of ability to recognise this, or indeed address it

Yes, as I say, this takes time but bearing in mind we've had one transfer window and there's been no movement at all thus far this loan window, it's understandable fans are getting frustrated. With each passing week, our failings become more apparent. How long before we hear the same owd, same owd "there's always the Jan window"

Well before Jan, this season will have come and gone at this rate. 11 games in and already 8 points behind the financially clouted might of big boys Burton :(

If he needs more time to recognise that we aren't good enough what he is doing in the job?

I get the impression Adkins gets an easier ride because he's an enthusiastic likeable chap. The players are bearing the brunt of the criticism and perhaps rightly so. But isn't part of his job to motivate them? Why does it look like they can't be bothered? The results have been absolutely unacceptable and as per any club (see Mourhino) the manager will be a focal point of taking the blame.

Yep. You're right
It's just a game :eek:

winig the championship was worse than this ? Not how I remember it

Every minute in the 4th was embarrassing although not as embarrassing if we hadn't won the league.

That can be applied over the last five years as well.

No glory in winning the 4th division.

Every minute in the 4th was embarrassing although not as embarrassing if we hadn't won the league.

That can be applied over the last five years as well.

No glory in winning the 4th division.
Didnt we score like a 1oo goals and any bades look back on days like darlo away as amongst their blades supporting highights ?

The mentality and attitude of the players has not changed in 4 or 5 years. Likes of Collins, Howard, Flynn, Baxter, Basham, McEveley and many more are in short; soft as shite.

They do not have the drive, urgency or passion to take this side up. They are in affect just playing games and no one actually has done anything of a consistent nature in the last few years to say you know what I want to get out of this bloody division. they have a half arsed attitude that seems to suggest they think they will win games without actually putting the effort in needed. The record of won 5, drew 2 and lost 4 and beat none of the top 10 (only Peterborough in top half) shows these players do not get it. Do you know what ability wise as crap as many of them are they are and still should be better than Bury, Colchester, Port Valle etc even with weaknesses we do have. The fact we cannot beat these teams is as much down to effort, application and heart as errors/poor skill (obviously big factors too).

They all have had too many chances now. I do wonder what they think will happen to them when they get released at the end of the season (the 15 or so out of contract) ? Do they genuinely think anyone higher up the pyramid would want them. Most will end up back in Scotland, even lower in League 1 or League 2 at best. With Murphy gone other than maybe Sharp and promise of Adams/Done, not one other player has shown they could play at a higher level.

I would love to know what the players are thinking. They certainly aren't doing anything to suggest they even want a contract next season. They put in the minimum effort week in, week out and that's that. Just enough to say they 'tried'. I personally just don't think the majority are winners. I think they are just happy being professional footballers with no true desire to push beyond the level they are at. A bit like our board really

Back
Top Bottom