Down memory Lane.....this day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That particular team photo was available enlarged and printed on card if you sent off a certain number of Typhoo Tea packs. I don't know if there was a fee payable as well but my mum got one for me and it went on my bedroom wall.

A few years later, Park Drive had an offer whereby you sent off a certain number of their packets and got a (very good) Park Drive Book of Football in return. I can remember walking round my local park looking through the litter for discarded fag packets.

At least they didn't ask for tab ends.

I have all the Typhoo Tea team photos and a few of individual players. ( We must've drunk a lot of tea!)

I remember having that Park Drive book but no longer in my possession. Must have been discarded in the many house moves.

The Blades team photo has drawing pin holes in each corner - must have been on my bedroom wall.

It may have already been mentioned but I think the opening game for the BL stand was against Sunderland. Don't think I've ever seen any photos of matches when the stand was being constructed.

View attachment 13176
Bramall Lane Football Ground looking towards the John Street end with St. Mary's Church and Brittania Brewery in the background
View attachment 13177
Cricket Match at Bramall Lane looking S.E - 1950's I think
View attachment 13178
No. 106, Foxon and Robinson Ltd., box makers and J. Gilder and Co., motor dealers, John Street showing the Floodlights from Bramall Lane Football and Cricket Ground 1975
View attachment 13179
General View of Bramall Lane from the junction of Hill Street (left) and Cherry Street (right) looking towards Bramall Lane Football Ground 1975.
View attachment 13180
Last Cricket Match at Bramall Lane, Yorkshire v Lancashire 04/08/1973
View attachment 13181
Last Cricket Match at Bramall Lane, Yorkshire v Lancashire 04/08/1973
View attachment 13182
Demolition of Bramall Lane Stand, new stand built at a cost of £100,000 seating 3,000 .01/05/1966
View attachment 13183
The New Stand, Sheffield United FC., Bramall Lane Football Ground 22/09/1966
Looking at those photos I wonder if we'd have been better building two tiered stands on the three sides and keeping it as a cricket ground. That pavilion was beautiful and now it's a car park.

It may have already been mentioned but I think the opening game for the BL stand was against Sunderland. Don't think I've ever seen any photos of matches when the stand was being constructed.
Yes, it was v Sunderland on 15th October 1966. The attendance was only 19,391. We won 2-0, Mick Jones and Gil Reece the scorers

30 years ago today, Jesus where did it all go :(, 17th August 1985.

Stoke City with what can only be described as a god damn awful attempt at a programme.

Another horrible square shaped effort. Mick Mills and Sammy Chung grace, if that's the right word, the cover.

United win 3-1 with goals from Cockerill and two from Morris.

View attachment 12918
A pal of mine at work insists that Mick Mills was a well known and voluble supporter of the National Front; can that be right?

Not sure about his political persuasion but he was involved in a football initiation controversy sparked at Stoke (he was manager) which involved sticking a Ralgex soaked goalkeeper's glove up a certain part of the anatomy of a new player. The goalkeeper was Peter Fox and the cry “Foxy, give him the glove!” was commonly heard. Might catch on here I would think if a poster's self-discipline is lacking :D

The pics are all from the Sheffield photo archive webpage. If you look to the left on the first pic you can see the old stand that used be at the BL end of the Lane. The second pic roughly gives you the view you would have got from corner flag at the John St./BL corner with the old cricket pavilion still standing. In pic 5 you can see the "new" BL stand of 1966. Pic 6 shows the pre-1966 BL stand being demolished and pic 7 the stand that replaced it. Seats were added to the lower tier in 1994.

Bramall Lane Milestones from Wiki
  • 1855: The ground at Bramall Lane built for cricket.
  • 1878: First floodlit game played between "Reds" and "Blues" (the first competitive floodlit game was held at Mansfield Town's Field Mill ground).
  • 1896: A new John Street Stand built with room for 6,000 both seated and standing.
  • 1897: A new Shoreham Street Stand built.
  • 1900: A new cricket pavilion built.
  • 1901: Cycle track removed.
  • 1911: Roof added to the Bramall Lane End.
  • 1935: Roof added to the Kop. Running track built in front of John Street Stand.
  • 1940: The ground damaged in Sheffield Blitz. John Street was badly affected and the Kop roof damaged.
  • 1953: Floodlights installed.
  • 1966: Bramall Lane Stand opened.
  • 1975: South Stand opened.
  • 1981: Cricket pavilion demolished.
  • 1991: Seats installed in Kop.
  • 1994: John Street demolished. Seats added to lower tier of Bramall Lane End.
  • 1995: New pylon-less floodlights installed.
  • 1996: New John Street Stand opened.
  • 2001: New corner stand holding 1,000 fans opened between Shoreham Steet & John Street.
  • 2002: Blades Enterprise Centre is built between John Street and Bramall Lane.
  • 2005: Wooden seats removed from South Stand.
  • 2006: New corner opens between Cherry Street and Bramall Lane. Bramall Lane end cantilevered.
  • 2008 : New hotel built on the corner of the south stand and Bramall lane end.

I notice outside the ticket office, there's a plaque on the wall that states Bramall Lane is the home of the world's first Lawn Tennis Association, and the venue of the first competitive lawn tennis competition.

BDTBL really is a special place in the annals of sport.

I've been on the Bramall Lane end only a handful of times in my life. When I started going it was still possible to walk to that end via the cricket pavilion and plenty changed ends at half time but I never did. I certainly went in the "new" stand after it was built, once for a Youth Cup game in 1968 and also for the Watford promotion game in 1971, but I never liked the fact that wherever you were on that end you were some distance away from the pitch. Most of my life I've watched from the Kop although I used also to frequent the Kop end of the John Street Terrace for quite a time.

Being distant from the pitch is always something I've disliked. The "old" Stamford Bridge was particularly bad in this respect and I don't like Wembley for the same reason. I imagine that West Ham's new stadium will have the same problem and I suspect it will detract from the atmosphere there when they finally move. I think there's a lot to be said for the older type of ground in this respect.

I think this was the first away match I ever went to. I would have been 14 years old. I remember taking the bus with a mate and it was a hot sunny day. I don't think we'd ever been to Nottingham either, it was quite an adventure. On arrival we met with some other Blades who told us to watch out for Forest fans as they had a habit of throwing visiting supporters in the River Trent. I had only got my learner's swimming certificate at the time, so I hoped it wasn't true.

The atmosphere in the ground was red hot. I can't recall what the crowd figure was, but I'd guess upwards of 20,000, with a big following from Sheffield. It was an exciting game as I recall. I remember seeing Ian Storey-Moore, who was a very talented footballer. Another one who stood out for me on the day was Peter McCormack - long black hair and a very dangerous player. But, the Blades overcame them in the end and I remember at the full time whistle most of the Forest fans had left and the stadium was ringing to the chants from the United fans. What a day!

I remember when we scored the noise that erupted from seemingly all corners of the ground.

I wonder how many we took that day.

At the end of the match, with mainly Blades left in the stadium the chant echoing round was "Uniiited, Uniiited, Uniiited...."

Or has my memory gone to pot ;)

I've been on the Bramall Lane end only a handful of times in my life. When I started going it was still possible to walk to that end via the cricket pavilion and plenty changed ends at half time but I never did. I certainly went in the "new" stand after it was built, once for a Youth Cup game in 1968 and also for the Watford promotion game in 1971, but I never liked the fact that wherever you were on that end you were some distance away from the pitch. Most of my life I've watched from the Kop although I used also to frequent the Kop end of the John Street Terrace for quite a time.

Being distant from the pitch is always something I've disliked. The "old" Stamford Bridge was particularly bad in this respect and I don't like Wembley for the same reason. I imagine that West Ham's new stadium will have the same problem and I suspect it will detract from the atmosphere there when they finally move. I think there's a lot to be said for the older type of ground in this respect.

That's why Bert always liked Derby's old ground. You weren't just near the pitch you were practically on it

Especially for Silent.......Today 45 years ago 1970. Sheffield United v Bristol City.

He'll tell you all about it. ;)

View attachment 13187 View attachment 13188
I would have been sat near you. I usually sat near the front of the BLUT for most of the home games in the 1970-71 season. From 1971-72 until 1976-77 I had a season ticket there and my seat was A 85 and the gangway was E (I think).

In the 1st half in the Lane End , Hodgy had a simple catch to make but he fumbled it and dropped the ball to John Galley who only had to tap in the opener. Early in the 2nd half there was a mix up in our penalty box and I think John Barnwell diverted a soft shot into our net. Soon after Gerry Gow hit a cross shot from the right but Hodgy failed to keep it out. My dad's reaction was of a dismayed shock as he stood up outstretching his arms mumbling "3-0???".

GOAL - v Bristol City (h) 5.9.70. Just after Gerry Gow had put Bristol City three up, three angry Blades fans were led out of the ground by a policeman. In the 67th minute Woodward brought the biggest cheer yet when he hit a glorious goal from the edge of the box.

With 5 minutes left Bill Deaden scored his first goal for the Blades diverting a low cross from the left. In injury time sub John Tudor hooked in a dramatic equaliser after a overhead cross by Ted Hemsley. See the reaction of the equaliser below

10647009_957748087573489_4409993097282021081_n.jpg

That's why Bert always liked Derby's old ground. You weren't just near the pitch you were practically on it
Went to the Baseball Ground once (94/95?), we won 3-2. Sean Bean was in amongst us, too (anyone else remember this?). Loads of Blades came up to him to shake his hand. He looked a bit sheepish and slightly embarrassed by the attention he was getting.

48 years ago. 1967. Unfortunately you can't win them all.

Not the worst defeat in recent memory at Stamford Bridge, but nevertheless a 4-2 reverse on a wednesday night.

10 shillings for a ticket. Bit steep?

5575386678_0b5d437932_z.jpg 14391336239_80d4ab6ee3_m.jpg

Great pictures of the Lane End Cyprus...I always remember sitting up in there when we beat Southampton 4-1 in the 67/68 season...they had some decent players in the line up like Martin Chivers,Ron Davies,Mick Channon and Terry Paine...I always remembered what a great view it was...we were usually stood,sometimes below on the Lane Terrace or John Street but mainly on the Kop.I never sat up there again until the last Prem season for the Chelsea and Middlesbrough games...Best view in the ground.

Went to the Baseball Ground once (94/95?), we won 3-2. Sean Bean was in amongst us, too (anyone else remember this?). Loads of Blades came up to him to shake his hand. He looked a bit sheepish and slightly embarrassed by the attention he was getting.

4th Feb 95 - Veart 2 and Whitehouse scored.

Glad to be of service :)

Great pictures of the Lane End Cyprus...I always remember sitting up in there when we beat Southampton 4-1 in the 67/68 season...they had some decent players in the line up like Martin Chivers,Ron Davies,Mick Channon and Terry Paine...I always remembered what a great view it was...we were usually stood,sometimes below on the Lane Terrace or John Street but mainly on the Kop.I never sat up there again until the last Prem season for the Chelsea and Middlesbrough games...Best view in the ground.
Chivers was a very good player, Bert went to see his Tottenham debut at Hillsborough in 1968, he scored and so did the greatest English goalscorer that ever lived.

48 years ago. 1967. Unfortunately you can't win them all.

Not the worst defeat in recent memory at Stamford Bridge, but nevertheless a 4-2 reverse on a wednesday night.

10 shillings for a ticket. Bit steep?

View attachment 13200 View attachment 13201
Anyone recognise the balding Newcastle player on the photo that used to play for us? It is not Keith Kettleborough

Chivers was a very good player, Bert went to see his Tottenham debut at Hillsborough in 1968, he scored and so did the greatest English goalscorer that ever lived.
Agree with Bert..I think he may have been the Saints Goalscorer that day,but not sure,it could be my memory is playing tricks...Remember the sun shining,a great view and a good win for the Blades,then somewhere it all went wrong by the end of the season..UTB!

Don't set Bert off with the mention of that buffoon, otherwise Bert's Benty Bulletin will be making a comeback.

The postscript to that buffoon, Bert may have not have been aware about.

Towards the end of the 2010/11 with the Blades virtually almost relegated, we played Middlesbrough at home, losing a game against a poor Boro side, where Brownie was treated to a 20 minute cameo from Benty who aimlessly swanned around the pitch with the regal air of a man who didn't give a flying fuck. Brownie was also in the advance state of refreshment, and not happy on two fronts due to a personal matter than was causing him stress, and seeing his beloved Blades slowly sinking in to the 3rd tier thanks to the efforts of players like Benty and his big pal Nugsy Nosworthy. Later on that evening reports reached Brownie that Benty and Nugsy were travelling back to London without a care in the world, both quaffing Champagne.

4th Feb 95 - Veart 2 and Whitehouse scored.

Glad to be of service :)

I was there too, right behind Bean.

Rather than behind the goal where we had been at the BBG before, they put us in terracing in the corner for this game.

Only goal I remember was a ball over the top that took an outrageous bounce over their 'keeper (Steve Sutton ex Forest with the lazy eye I think) and Veart popping it in the empty net. Good times.

September 7th 1974. West Ham 1 (Billy Jennings) Blades 2 (Alan Woodward, Bill Dearden). The below is from my Woody's goals and assists

GOAL - v West Ham (a) 7.9.74. This memorable goal is what I would describe as "the goal that defied science". My dad had driven down to my boarding school in Newbury for that day and took me and my three schoolmates to Upton Park to watch the match. Just before we got in the ground the gale-force wind blew a match ticket out of my dad's hand and he had to chase after it for about thirty yards. West Ham were leading 1-0 at half time and United faced playing against the strong wind for the second half and even if we had won a penalty it would be an almighty struggle to have enough power to shoot past the goalkeeper. Even now my Norwich-supporting mate would still recall the goal Woody scored in the match.
Here is what Benny Hill (not the comedian!) wrote in the Morning Telegraph two days later: “Long after Alan Woodward has finished his playing career, the fans will be talking about the goals he scored for Sheffield United; the spectacular, the face saving, the dramatic. Rarely it seems, is he involved in the run-of-the-mill goal. Invariably there are moments of drama when his power and skill combine to smash the ball into the net. At Upton Park he pulled one out of the hat to celebrate his birthday and put United level in the 78th minute; it was a wonderful example of his ability to read an opportunity and to do something positive as it comes. Intercepting a short pass from Holland just inside the West Ham half, Woodward streaked through the centre to slam the ball from 25 yards past a startled Day. John Lyall, the new West Ham manager, put the incident in a nutshell when he told me; “You can't give Woodward chances like that: he's too good a player.”

Back
Top Bottom