Matchday Programme

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I have mixed feelings about this.
It's good for Blades fans who can't get to home matches, but at the same time it takes away the point of a programme really. If you don't have to be at the match to get it then it's not as special IMO.

Good for the collectors amongst us, when I sold programmes a few regulars would only take examples without any creases and absolutely no rain spots on them. The programmes were then put in a plastic bag and taken straight back to the car so there was no chance of damage in the crush inside the ground .......................... it takes all sorts as they say.

Good for the collectors amongst us, when I sold programmes a few regulars would only take examples without any creases and absolutely no rain spots on them. The programmes were then put in a plastic bag and taken straight back to the car so there was no chance of damage in the crush inside the ground .......................... it takes all sorts as they say.

I sold a Wednesday programme a few months ago.

A few pages were torn out and there were a few brown stains where my fingers and thumb had gone through (its difficult behind the bus stop you see, and I had a spicy beef bhuna the night before) but this pig fan bought it off me for £200. He asked me what the stains were and I said it was where my pie had leaked.

pommpey

Indeed.

When I collected (only games I'd been to) it was part of the "charm" that if it was rain damaged it would be a reminder of the day. I have a particular one from playing Bury at home (pretty sure John Tudor scored a hat trick) that has never been opened since the day because it got piss wet through and dried itself closed forever.

Indeed.

When I collected (only games I'd been to) it was part of the "charm" that if it was rain damaged it would be a reminder of the day. I have a particular one from playing Bury at home (pretty sure John Tudor scored a hat trick) that has never been opened since the day because it got piss wet through and dried itself closed forever.

I've just given my programmes to my best mate. Included in them is a massively ran-damaged Oxford United away one from 1998 when we stood on the Manor Ground away end and United won, the first time away in about a year.

pommpey

'Programmes can also be sent overseas for £135 to a European address or £160 for anywhere else in the world.'

That's just ridiculous!

Imagine not just the cost but the inconvenience of having them sent back to your house in Sheffield.

I suppose it might be alright for some people that go on holiday?

But I'm afraid It's a NO from me!

£90 for 23 plus any cup matches is a good deal postage alone would cost a minimum of a£1 a programme with cup matches thrown in. I will take that any day.

A kid i used to go to school with, his dad collected them. Every single one from home and away was crease-less in a polythene packet and a ring binder. They'll be worth a fortune.

At the time ~1999/2000 my mate at school and his dad hadn't missed a home or away game for about 10 seasons. Kid used to leave school early or just not turn up if we were playing away on a Tuesday.

Just as a footnote:

That Wendesday programme, it wasn't very absorbent and all the print came off as well and my clay-nipper ended up all blue.

I ended up using my socks in the end because it was all smeared about.

pommpey

New publishers and size this season :)

In reference to the price of the match day programme subscription service: 23 x £4 incl. postage is not bad given the fact that postage will be £1.50 an item.

It is clearly aimed for those who don't regularly attend. In the past I have purchased individual ones if I've been away.

Can't trust people to bring them back in good condition.

A match-day programme is a memento of the game, there has been talk for years of the match-day programme disappearing for good and digital versions taking over. Not happened yet.

You can't get high smelling your I-phone like you can with fresh print. :D

Sorry Matt, but your mate's programmes are not likely to be worth a fortune.

Foxy, got the Hull one, like the size, but they should be bound nowadays, but I don't suppose they will be :(

In reference to the price of the match day programme subscription service: 23 x £4 incl. postage is not bad given the fact that postage will be £1.50 an item.

It is clearly aimed for those who don't regularly attend. In the past I have purchased individual ones if I've been away.

Can't trust people to bring them back in good condition.

A match-day programme is a memento of the game, there has been talk for years of the match-day programme disappearing for good and digital versions taking over. Not happened yet.

You can't get high smelling your I-phone like you can with fresh print. :D

Sorry Matt, but your mate's programmes are not likely to be worth a fortune.

Foxy, got the Hull one, like the size, but they should be bound nowadays, but I don't suppose they will be :(

Think you'll like the new spine...though I've not seen one in person yet. Don't count the Newcastle one.

Think you'll like the new spine...though I've not seen one in person yet. Don't count the Newcastle one.

From that, I assume it will be similar to the Notts County one last year, which had a solid bound spine. I've gone all tingly :D

A kid i used to go to school with, his dad collected them. Every single one from home and away was crease-less in a polythene packet and a ring binder. They'll be worth a fortune.

When you say 'worth a fortune', please remember these are memories of United games. It may have escaped your attention, but generally we aren't very good.

'Worth a fortune' to another stupid fellow Blade but the general population would value them somewhere beneath a 1967 British Rail timetable or a 1975 Isle of Man stamp collection.

Sorry and all that, but it had to be said,

ISC

EBay has a home programme from 1897 on sale at the moment. The spine is broken but even so, if it goes for anywhere near the starting bid of £249 it will be cheap. We won the league that season!

There was a period of about 5 or 6 years where I used to get them all, even if I didn't go to the match, then when I moved from a house into a flat I realised they would take up too much space and were completely and utterly worthless anyway so chucked the lot in a skip. Apart from the Wembley ones, it must be at least 5 years since I bought one.

Sounds like there's a market for me to publish a few articles, what you reckon Sharrowblade ?

Back
Top Bottom