Old United Pubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Which is why me and my friends went there when we were seriously underage. Some of the Druids used to come down and they were reasonably pleasant - not that a bunch of spotty twats from Silverdale posed much of a threat.

I remember one of them being called Spanner.

The Underground was on Charles Street. Here, in fact.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3...4!1s3ldn4ru41yXfCQdC3bqINQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Didn't it go under a couple of other names too ? Faces and Charlie Parkers ring a bell.

Didn't it go under a couple of other names too ? Faces and Charlie Parkers ring a bell.

I think it lurched from one failure to another. It wasn't much cop. As soon as we were old enough we were off to the Yorkshire Grey, The Stone House and the Brown Bear, amongst others.

I have soft spot for the Foresters.

I started out in the transport game the same time that Mick had a transport company running out of his house at Hunters Bar ,the house was full of parcels which we took all over the country ,it was chaos ,great blokes though Mick and Alex.
The story I know about Mick Crich was in Locarno ,when the manager (Moustache guy ,Dave I think ,also ran gossips) refused him entry upstairs because of the dress code. He produced some scissors from somewhere and cut his tie off and asked him who was the better dressed now. The bouncers daren't do anything ,even Joe.

I think Dave and Joe went on to be partners in Gossips after they worked at Josies. Dave went on to be the landlord of the Rose and Crown at Barlborough for quite a few years. He now works for Tesco.

I think Dave and Joe went on to be partners in Gossips after they worked at Josies. Dave went on to be the landlord of the Rose and Crown at Barlborough for quite a few years. He now works for Tesco.
Joe died a couple of years ago ,he was bouncer at Greens gym on Summerfield St last time I saw him.

Joe died a couple of years ago ,he was bouncer at Greens gym on Summerfield St last time I saw him.
Sad to hear that. He was a gent, but then again I never got on the wrong side of him.

Are you on about Greek Cypriot Joe.
Used to be on the door Nether Edge Hall early 70s then in Scamps mid/late 70s one of the best

Are you on about Greek Cypriot Joe.
Used to be on the door Nether Edge Hall early 70s then in Scamps mid/late 70s one of the best

Didn't he also work at that place that was called (at one time) Uriah Heep's? It was next door to Berlin's in the 80's, just round the corner from Redgates

Yes Gossips

Yes that was it, couldn't remember the name of it, was in one night when two lads came in like two young gunslingers, looking to prove how hard they were, Joe just walked over, stood near them, leaned on the bar with a sort of half-smile, stared at them, a few minutes later they walked out. There was another lad working with him, Mark Steele from memory (not a big hitter or anything like that)

Didn't he also work at that place that was called (at one time) Uriah Heep's? It was next door to Berlin's in the 80's, just round the corner from Redgates
He part owned it. I was there a few times with my friend Richard who worked with Joe at Locarnos

geas s we used to joke ab LP inout going in the barleycorn because we had been told is was a
Cheers Essex
As young lads we used to joke about going into the barleycorn because it had a reputation of being a gay pub was it & if so is it still?

This thread is taking me back to my yoof,
Howard, Globe ( smashing little boozer ) , brown bear on Norfolk St ( another little gem ) , Pig &whistle , that boozer on Leopold St , when you went in for the first time your mates would say there's no roof as it was so high up , golden ball , blue bell , penny black , of course the limit , and the Leadmill , saw Dead Kennedy's there ,
Think we used to meet up across the road from mulberry, soon as you came out of the underground up the stairs that little pub on your left used to be our staring off point , the lads from City , Granville road , Manor , and a couple of Park hill boys , throw in a couple of Arbor boys and that was our team of boys , both Blades &Pigs .
On a home match day , Howard , Globe , up to Blue Bell , see who was around , down to Penny Black then ramble back to Howard to see who was around , then up to London rd , Pheasant mostly .

Saw the UK Subs there, met Charlie Harper at the bar, I helped out on the door (at 17), saw Angelic Upstarts and other bands as well. A dump!
Saw the Upstarts there myself , didn't they start a big scrap between Blades & pigs , at the later gig , that night .

geas s we used to joke ab LP inout going in the barleycorn because we had been told is was a

As young lads we used to joke about going into the barleycorn because it had a reputation of being a gay pub was it & if so is it still?
The Barleycorn is long gone. But in the early 70's it was anything but.
Bert once went in the bar and two groups of blokes started throwing pint pots at each other. Bert made his excuses and left.

Being a young chap (41) my recollections of the Limit are somewhat, errrrm, limited. But I do recall going to the bogs and a huge bloke inside with a bag of drugs asking if I needed any gear. I didn't manage a piss, made my excuses and legged it.

Early seventies we used to go in the Buccaneer then on to the Penthouse .
Then we had a run of boozers we went in every Saturday for about 3 years we were about 30 handed .
Meet in the Whetstone then Pump,Nelson,Barley Corn,Albert,Red Lion,Big Tuns,Museum,Golden Ball,Little Tuns,Dove and Rainbow then Top Rank.
Then 53 half one bus home
Bolloxed

I was good friends with Mick Maclean and his brother Alex who both worked the door and were Blades ,Alex lived on Parkhill flats and drove a Rolls Royce and no one ever touched it. Gary Green also worked on the door a big fucker from Hunters Bar who you wouldn't mess with as did his bother Graham.
Haha,nice story about Alex with the Roller..He worked at the same place as me in Donny for a few years...cracking bloke...he was sound..We used to always exchange a bit of Blades chat and he had some great stories.He still went to the Lane now and then,and the odd away game.Not seen him for a couple of years though,hope he's doing ok.

This thread is taking me back to my yoof,
Howard, Globe ( smashing little boozer ) , brown bear on Norfolk St ( another little gem ) , Pig &whistle , that boozer on Leopold St , when you went in for the first time your mates would say there's no roof as it was so high up , golden ball , blue bell , penny black , of course the limit , and the Leadmill , saw Dead Kennedy's there ,

That boozer was the Stonehouse. It was done up like a town square, with high ceilings made to look like the Sky. It used to be where TK Maxx is now.

I saw the Dead Kennedys at the Leadmill too, no bar, sawdust on the floor, and punks climbing over walls and through windows to get in free. Must have been around 1980 or 81.

Saw the Upstarts there myself , didn't they start a big scrap between Blades & pigs , at the later gig , that night .

yep, the singer, Mensi, seeing how bored the crowd were getting, said "so are you lads, Wednesday or United?" and it all kicked off, I was there.

The Barleycorn is long gone. But in the early 70's it was anything but.
Bert once went in the bar and two groups of blokes started throwing pint pots at each other. Bert made his excuses and left.

Yes, it would have been early 70s when I went in the Barleycorn. A biggish boozer next to where Henry's is. The 'phone box in the pic. is where the lower entrance to Coles (John Lewis) is. When I went in (first and last time) there was a large group of teddy boys in.

y00491.jpg

The 'Joe' being referred to in recent posts was always known to us as 'Maltese Joe'. Lived around Hunters Bar and drove a big old Jag.
Here's another one from back then. The Golden Ball:

goldenball.jpg

What about The Beehive and The Raven, up West Street. Great Pubs & Barleycorn next to the WAP - Also the ?Nelson? across the road from Redgates Toy Shop? Heavy Rock Music and acid all over the shop- just right to get warmed up for the WAP. Great days in Sheffield. The LIMIT always my favourite though

Yes, it would have been early 70s when I went in the Barleycorn. A biggish boozer next to where Henry's is. The 'phone box in the pic. is where the lower entrance to Coles (John Lewis) is. When I went in (first and last time) there was a large group of teddy boys in.

y00491.jpg

The 'Joe' being referred to in recent posts was always known to us as 'Maltese Joe'. Lived around Hunters Bar and drove a big old Jag.

goldenball.jpg
There was a bit of teddy boy revival 74/75 like there has been mod/skins/punk revivals.
"Handlebar" was the landlord of the Golden Ball later landlord of the Albion London Rd

That boozer was the Stonehouse. It was done up like a town square, with high ceilings made to look like the Sky. It used to be where TK Maxx is now.

I saw the Dead Kennedys at the Leadmill too, no bar, sawdust on the floor, and punks climbing over walls and through windows to get in free. Must have been around 1980 or 81.

Hi all, I had to join your forum just for this topic if nothing else! Been reading the site for ages and usually post on BladesMad.
However, having gone through this topic I must know half of you - brilliant!
Before the matches we used to start in the Minerva and then up to The Nelson....then the Pump and the Landsdowne or maybe the Social Club under the South stand.
We used to frequent the Wap on Friday & Saturday nights. Went off to work in Devon in 1976 after leaving school and ended up as a cleaner! Started at 5am and on the first morning was greeted with ''oh no, what the Fu ck are you two doing here?'' It was Dave who worked at the Wap/Grosvenor and had landed a job as night porter....
Gary Green opened two shops in town in the early 80's buying and selling gold trinkets and did very well. Left for Thailand over 25 years ago and the last thing I heard (which was a long time ago) was well settled.
Great drinking days back then in Sheffield. OK the beer was shocking but the pubs were good fun.

did anyone else frequent the snooker hall which I think was in the first floor of the 4 storey building? or was it a couple of doors up? The grubbiest, most fly blown dive I experienced outside the pages of a Chandler novel.

As Doncaster folk we used to call in at the Nelson Mandela building which housed the Polytechnic Student Union for a drink before we caught the train home. Wasn't (the lately deceased) Cooperman the bouncer there? - he used to let us in without S.U. cards (well not the correct SU cards).

y00491.jpg

goldenball.jpg
Henry's occupies the same building which housed the Barleycorn.

Back
Top Bottom