2015/16 Home Kit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

From that link http://spartacus-educational.com/Fgoalkeeper.htm

"One man who was unlikely to be barged over the line was William Foulke. A very large man he was nicknamed "Fatty" or "Colossus" by the fans. He once said: "I don't mind what they call me as long as they don't call me late for my lunch." C. B. Fry, the famous cricketer, who also played football forSouthampton, remarked: "Foulke is no small part of a mountain. You cannot bundle him."

One journalist wrote that: "His ponderous girth brings no inconvenience and the manner in which he gets down to low shots explodes any idea that a superfluity of flesh is a handicap." Foulke grew increasingly heavy and by 1903 he was over 20 stone. At that time the shoulder charge remained an important part of the game. This could be used against players even if they did not have the ball. If agoalkeeper caught the ball, he could be barged over the line. This was a problem that was rarely encountered by Foulke.

Sheffield United, led by Ernest Needham, won the First Division championship in the 1897-1898 season. William Foulke only missed one game and the team had the best defensive record in the league and one journalist described Foulke as the "greatest goalkeeper in the world". In a game against Liverpool in November, 1898, George Allan tried to intimidate Foulke. The Liverpool Post reported that "Allan charged Foulke in the goalmouth, and the big man, losing his temper, seized him by the leg and turned him upside down."

SHEFFUfoulke11.jpg

Foulke could kick the ball the length of the field and it was said that he could punch the ball as far as some players could kick it. According to one contemporary account, Foulke could punch "the ball well over the half-way line." He was also described as "a leviathan at 22 stone with the agility of a bantam".

William Foulke won his first international cap against Wales on 29th March 1897. Although England won 4-0, surprisingly, it was the only time he played for his country. At that time John Robinson was the regular England goalkeeper. Foulke was known to be unpopular with the Football Association. As the Sheffield Daily Telegraph pointed out: "It is a pity that Foulke cannot curb the habit of pulling down the crossbar, which on Saturday ended in his breaking it in two. On form, he is well in the running for international honours, but the Selection Committee are sure to prefer a man who plays the game to one who unnecessarily violates the spirit of the rules."

William Foulke also played for Chelsea before moving to Bradford City. He now weighed over 25 stone and was no longer as agile as he was and he was forced to retire from first-class football."

All this talk of templates and the fact that we are just using a "Nottingham Forest cast-off".

Look at the mighty PSV Eindhoven:

Dutch champions PSV Eindhoven and Nike mark the end of their 20-year partnership with a special Nike PSV Eindhoven Farewell Kit. The purple Nike PSV Eindhoven Commemorative Shirt will be worn in the last two matches of the season.

And here it is:
Nike-PSV-Eindhoven-2015-Farewell-Kit.jpg

Now, where have we seen that before?

Nike-Manchester-City-14-15-Third-Kit%2B(1).jpg
Nike-Manchester-City-14-15-Third-Kit%2B(2).jpg

From that link http://spartacus-educational.com/Fgoalkeeper.htm

"One man who was unlikely to be barged over the line was William Foulke. A very large man he was nicknamed "Fatty" or "Colossus" by the fans. He once said: "I don't mind what they call me as long as they don't call me late for my lunch." C. B. Fry, the famous cricketer, who also played football forSouthampton, remarked: "Foulke is no small part of a mountain. You cannot bundle him."

One journalist wrote that: "His ponderous girth brings no inconvenience and the manner in which he gets down to low shots explodes any idea that a superfluity of flesh is a handicap." Foulke grew increasingly heavy and by 1903 he was over 20 stone. At that time the shoulder charge remained an important part of the game. This could be used against players even if they did not have the ball. If agoalkeeper caught the ball, he could be barged over the line. This was a problem that was rarely encountered by Foulke.

Sheffield United, led by Ernest Needham, won the First Division championship in the 1897-1898 season. William Foulke only missed one game and the team had the best defensive record in the league and one journalist described Foulke as the "greatest goalkeeper in the world". In a game against Liverpool in November, 1898, George Allan tried to intimidate Foulke. The Liverpool Post reported that "Allan charged Foulke in the goalmouth, and the big man, losing his temper, seized him by the leg and turned him upside down."

SHEFFUfoulke11.jpg

Foulke could kick the ball the length of the field and it was said that he could punch the ball as far as some players could kick it. According to one contemporary account, Foulke could punch "the ball well over the half-way line." He was also described as "a leviathan at 22 stone with the agility of a bantam".

William Foulke won his first international cap against Wales on 29th March 1897. Although England won 4-0, surprisingly, it was the only time he played for his country. At that time John Robinson was the regular England goalkeeper. Foulke was known to be unpopular with the Football Association. As the Sheffield Daily Telegraph pointed out: "It is a pity that Foulke cannot curb the habit of pulling down the crossbar, which on Saturday ended in his breaking it in two. On form, he is well in the running for international honours, but the Selection Committee are sure to prefer a man who plays the game to one who unnecessarily violates the spirit of the rules."

William Foulke also played for Chelsea before moving to Bradford City. He now weighed over 25 stone and was no longer as agile as he was and he was forced to retire from first-class football."

WHF . Never mind giving us the bloody life story . Its like a rerun of This is Your Life . Cut the chase , can he play CB.:D:)

UTB

This is disgusting from the club. They are abusing this 125 thing and passing the kit off as being proud of our history, when in actual fact 95% of our history has been played in red and white stripes, so if they want to celebrate our history, at least do it in a different way than changing the kit we've had for 95% of it.

Just another horrible realisation of how the top people in football are ruining traditions to seek more money for themselves. I hope it backfires.

This is disgusting from the club. They are abusing this 125 thing and passing the kit off as being proud of our history, when in actual fact 95% of our history has been played in red and white stripes, so if they want to celebrate our history, at least do it in a different way than changing the kit we've had for 95% of it.

Just another horrible realisation of how the top people in football are ruining traditions to seek more money for themselves. I hope it backfires.
I do like the kit personally but your post is spot on because it isn't even the 125th year for a start, twats springs to mind.

Am I in a minority when I say that this is absolutely unacceptable from the club? What an awful show of ignorance to our red and white traditions and what a poor excuse to try and have a slogan that refers to our past and heritage when in actual fact 90% of our kits have been red and white stripes. It's evident they're just looking for something that's different to try and create more sales, which in itself is very poor. I could be over reacting here but my club plays in red and white stripes and not a stevenage home replica. Shambles.

Am I in a minority when I say that this is absolutely unacceptable from the club? What an awful show of ignorance to our red and white traditions and what a poor excuse to try and have a slogan that refers to our past and heritage when in actual fact 90% of our kits have been red and white stripes. It's evident they're just looking for something that's different to try and create more sales, which in itself is very poor. I could be over reacting here but my club plays in red and white stripes and not a stevenage home replica. Shambles.
Why don't you start a poll on it ?

The shirt is alright and I don't mind it for a year. However, the shorts are really pissing me off. Make them black and I'm happy.
This.

I love the shirt, but not keen on it as a home kit. It looks awful with red shorts & socks though.

After 4 months intensive exercise and diet i can just about fit into last seasons kit

When i bought it last year it fitted and i think ive wore it about 6 times in the interim

No. For the home kit. Hence the post. In a thread, about the home kit.
Yeah I get that but it's confusing because the shorts were launched as red and in the superstore they are red too so it's strange to now here they are black. I assumed they were change shorts for the home kit like we usually have.

Yeah I get that but it's confusing because the shorts were launched as red and in the superstore they are red too so it's strange to now here they are black. I assumed they were change shorts for the home kit like we usually have.
Apart from our Jim saying we'll have black shorts too, I've seen nothing else. Hope we do have black cause red looks awful.

I think the black shorts will be used away from home when we play a team with red shorts, or predominantly red kits, Barnsley, Crewe, Walsall, Swindon etc. That way we play in our white home shirt but there is lower risk of clashing.

All the above mentioned teams play in red socks at home so we can't play in our standard socks for starters.

Back
Top Bottom