monty on returning

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In todays Star Monty now 33 says hed like to return to us at some time, more likely as a coach , but cant think of any player of that age better suited to what we need now.
I for one think his ball winning and experience wouldnt harm our chances in any way .

I for one think AAAAARRGH! !

Maybe you really have been a blade too long;)

I liked Monty for his work rate. Would I want him back as a player now? Definitely not.

I'd rather have Craig Beattie back than "him"

I call shennanigans.

You're just engaged in elaborate performance art or self-parody at this point aren't you? Surely no one really holds this opinion?

In todays Star Monty now 33 says hed like to return to us at some time, more likely as a coach , but cant think of any player of that age better suited to what we need now.
I for one think his ball winning and experience wouldnt harm our chances in any way .

Yeah. I can see it now.

Every single pass in midfield rebounding off people's shins and the second touch being a tackle. Loads of coaching chasing the ball running away from you and passing the ball to a chasing player, usually into touch.

Monty - a 90 minute man. Much of that not in possession.

pommpey

In our current circumstances i.e. down to 16 fit contracted players with 1st team experience and therefore needing say 6 new signings, I'd go with Monty on a 6 month deal. I've watched him a fair bit in Australia and he is just the same as he ever was, but a shade more mature in his play. We are in League 1 not the Prem and he would be good value to do a certain job for the first hour of any game when the battle is on. The lad still has a good engine and he is match fit already.

Doyle would have been a good re-signing but he has gone to Pompey. By Xmas we might have 4 excellent players back: Brayford, Wallace, Kennedy and Baxter and we need stop gaps amongst at least 6 new signings.

BTW Aussie football is better standard than League 1 IMO.

Monty is no Iniesta thats for sure, but teams need players to get the ball off the opposition in the first place and thats what he is good at-
The term water carrier was made for players like Monty , a no frills grafter
No one would call Nicky Butt a glowing talent but he did the same spade work job at old trafford and was well rewarded for it

its horses for courses and Monty is well good enough for div one

Monty is no Iniesta thats for sure, but teams need players to get the ball off the opposition in the first place and thats what he is good at-
The term water carrier was made for players like Monty , a no frills grafter
No one would call Nicky Butt a glowing talent but he did the same spade work job at old trafford and was well rewarded for it

its horses for courses and Monty is well good enough for div one

I think it's completely the other way around.

You may need a "break up" player in the higher leagues to stop the better players over-running you.

At our level you don't. Who is there to worry about in L1 that you need a bloke doing half a job? At our level we need players who can play, most of the opposition are quite good at stopping themselves by being a bit shit.

You may need a "break up" player in the higher leagues to stop the better players over-running you.

At our level you don't. Who is there to worry about in L1 that you need a bloke doing half a job? At our level we need players who can play, most of the opposition are quite good at stopping themselves by being a bit shit.

other league one teams must have some good players as we never had the ball most of the games last season
we can only damage the oppsition if we get the ball , they cant be that shit or we would have dominated , your argument defeats itself

other league one teams must have some good players as we never had the ball most of the games last season
we can only damage the oppsition if we get the ball , they cant be that shit or we would have dominated , your argument defeats itself
Passing the ball sideways then backwards was why we didn't dominate more, plus we didn't have the calibre of player willing to penetrate the oppositions defence as much as we'd have liked to. Getting players who are willing to do this or change to a more positive, sideways then a quick forward passing style with movement will cause teams havoc in this league. Monty is not this player, never has been or never will be so lets leave this one alone and go for players who will help us achieve our goal of automatic promotion and not mediocrity at best. Very good bloke but that's not what we need.

There in a nutshell surely lies the one of the underlying fundamental reasons we all have differing opinions and end up debating all manner of things spinning off from it.

Formations, tactics, opinions on players, all follow your belief whether teams need ball winners or not. I suppose Grecian hated watching Michael Doyle these past few years.

Personally I think you even need them in Under 11 teams and every team on the planet. Some people think they are the most vital part of the team and are the ones who do all the dirty work and hold position that then gives the creative players the licence to attack.

"Half a job"? Not likely.

Formations, tactics, opinions on players, all follow your belief whether teams need ball winners or not.

My bad, I used the term "break up player" without adding the adjoining "but lose it just as quickly".

I have no problem with people who can win the ball but they need to be able to keep it afterwards. Monty was truly shit at this, therefore, "half a job" is actually over egging his pudding. Third of a job would be more accurate.

My bad, I used the term "break up player" without adding the adjoining "but lose it just as quickly".

I have no problem with people who can win the ball but they need to be able to keep it afterwards. Monty was truly shit at this, therefore, "half a job" is actually over egging his pudding. Third of a job would be more accurate.

Third of a job; badly, would be even more accurate.

strange as all 3 promoted sides last season had similar players in their ranks
If all of the 3 promoted sides had similar players to Monty then the other ten players that played that day must have been very good at winning the ball back and keeping it, after Monty had won the ball and lost it:rolleyes::)

I think a few on here do not realise how far we have dropped in standards this past few years. We are in League 1 and we can't keep the ball unless we play it sideways or backwards. With odd exceptions our players are incapable of playing through opposition lines and when they try they give up the ball.

IMO Monty at 33 would be old and wise enough to keep possession just as much as our current players at this level.

Yes we need to improve but let's not kid ourselves that Monty would look out of place in our current squad.

Play without a Doyle or a Monty in our midfield and watch the opposition help themselves to a few goals like Swindon did. Defending is not just about the defence.

Back
Top Bottom