Barnsley Away - Police

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SE1Blade

Reaction score
Any update / reply to the complaints made to the polce about their conduct at this match?

I said I was going to contact them about this and completely forgot! Ho Hum. :mad:

Any update / reply to the complaints made to the polce about their conduct at this match?

Funny you should say that. I've just found Amanda's messages in my spam folder. We got the following messages:

Hello Amanda,

I have discussed the matter with the silver and relevant bronze commander, as you are no doubt aware, as Gold - I don't lead the tacticaI plan delivery, so I was not sighted on the detail of the issues you raise.

As expected we had a significant number of fans travel by rail and a partnership plan with British Transport Police (BTP) was put in place.

BTP have primacy for the operation within the station grounds. So as to not overload the platform a considerable number of supporters remained on Schwabisch Gmund Way outside the Interchange. The BTP Inspector initiated this phased entry of fans into the Interchange, by using his staff to limit access.

SYP managed outside the Interchange and monitored the Sheffield United supporters due to efforts of opposing fans to reach that location. During this waiting time on Schwabisch Gmund Way the SU supporters had the whole width of the road to relax/wait for their trains.

There is a BTP de-brief being held in Leeds which I’ve asked our Bronze commander to attend to give the SYP perspective. It is likely we will have more detail after that debrief, and I will pass that update once completed

I hope this helps as an interim update.

Kind regards

David

A lot of words to say fuck all eh?

Then, last week, we received this:

Dear Amanda,

Reference your correspondence received relating to the Barnsley v Sheffield United fixture, I have the following information, which is provided on behalf of Chief Superintendent Hartley.

A review has taken place by South Yorkshire Police (SYP) and the British Transport Police (BTP) into the issues experienced by rail network users at the Barnsley v Sheffield United fixture.

It has been identified that the cause of the problem was insufficient rolling stock capacity after the fixture. This caused the delays at the Barnsley Interchange and the inconvenience experienced by Sheffield United supporters. It was also acknowledged that the provision of information, before, during and after the fixture regarding potential congestion and delays was inadequate.

The intention is for BTP to enhance their use of social media in order to communicate potential issues of congestion and to work closely with the railway companies to ensure appropriate capacity going forward.

These issues have now been incorporated into the future planning process for football fixtures, in particular where rail travel is anticipated to be popular.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Kind Regards

Richard Burgess
Inspector
North East Safer Neighbourhood Area
East Sector
Sheffield District
Sheffield
S35 9WL

So no acknowledgment of their contributing to a crush outside the station.

Amanda is currently considering her response so if anyone has any comments, please contact her on [email protected] - particularly if you were one of the people badly affected by what happened outside the station.

But contact who? SYPD or their partners in the Great Overtime Scam - Durham Constabulary?

I believe there was a discussion on here at the time with someone from a fans supporter group?

Edit: FSF maybe?

I believe there was a discussion on here at the time with someone from a fans supporter group?

Edit: FSF maybe?

Yep - Amanda from the Football Supporters' Federation.

The cops must have co-ordinated with British Transport Police. Before the game they will have been fully aware that a) there were no extra trains laid on, and b) the Blades had sold out their ticket allocation. They will have been aware of the facts.

So why did they decide to line up thousands of Blades against a wall, crush them, not let anyone leave to use the toilet or get water. Surely there were other solutions, and the police were at fault for not planning adequately.

With the help of Amanda Jacks I have sent this letter to the police

Dear Sirs

Barnsley FC v Sheffield Utd FC 4 April 2015

Operational Policing Complaint

I write to make a formal complaint about the policing at the above fixture. I am 64 years old and suffer from Parkinsons Disease although this does not stop me from travelling all over the country to support my team, never experiencing any real trouble. The policing I experienced in April at this fixture, however, may well make me think twice about going to Barnsley again unless you are able to provide me with a reply that reassures me that I will not spend the day feeling as though I’m a potential hooligan and treated thus and perhaps more importantly, will allow me the freedom of movement to access my transport without being forced to take a longer and more taxing route thanks to the erection of a barrier which prevented a quick and easy return.

I understand that this fixture is recognised as one with potential for trouble, but perhaps the potential for trouble would be reduced somewhat if efforts were focussed on ensuring the small minority of ‘fans’ with ill intentions are kept in order rather than a small army of police officers treating thousands of away fans as potential public order problems.

Frankly, the policing ruined what should have been a fun, relaxing and enjoyable day. Watching football is not a crime and I’m not a criminal. In 2015, with arrest rates lower than ever there is no excuse for it and I’d go as far to say the policing style and operating probably increased the chances of trouble rather than reduced it.

I look forward to your reassurances that I am able to travel to Barnsley next season and enjoy a more reflective and measured style of policing.

Yours sincerely

Funny you should say that. I've just found Amanda's messages in my spam folder. We got the following messages:

A lot of words to say fuck all eh?

Then, last week, we received this:

So no acknowledgment of their contributing to a crush outside the station.

Amanda is currently considering her response so if anyone has any comments, please contact her on [email protected] - particularly if you were one of the people badly affected by what happened outside the station.

I'd say that the first response was a rather underhanded attempt at blaming us for the crush at the station (full width of the road to relax)....We don't want to relax, we want to get home!

The second, at least acknowledges the fact that there was mistakes. Maybe they should consider the use of the barriers they spent a fortune on in a more constructive way by set them up in a fashion to reduce the potential for a crush (snake like).

It would do them well to also look at how the police handle the situations at Wembley after big games at Wembley station. Never heard a bad thing siad about that

Back
Top Bottom