SLO & Collective Blades meetings - v2.0

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linz

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all

As you've probably been aware, this forum has been quiet for a wee while. I was voted Chair of the meetings, held one and then pretty much gave up. My time is in short supply and I saw no value in spending almost three hours sitting at Bramall Lane, drinking tea and coffee and hearing complaints about pies. This wasn't the brief that we were given at the outset of these meetings - we were asked to be proactive and to try and force positive changes through for fans of our football club, in lieu of a strong and vibrant supporters' club.

They also got a bit cloak and dagger, something I'm not comfortable with, as our main role there was to act as a conduit between the club/Supporter Liaison Officer (John Garrett) and you lot.

So there's been some conversations, a bit of soul searching and thus a reboot.

The meetings with the club SLO will recommence on 30th March and run on a six-weekly basis. We're moving them to neutral territory and taking them out and about. Basically, we're moving them to licenced premises as that's where stuff gets done.

Invited to attend are representatives from:

SUFC - Initially John Garrett as SLO but other officials can be invited as required.
Here (obviously)
Bladesmad
Official Supporters' Club + Handsworth and Old Crown branches
Sheffield United Disabled Supporters
Senior Blades

The meetings will run on the following broad headings:

* Updates from each group and social calendar - a chance for each Blades group to network, advertise and update everyone else on exactly what they're up to.

* Projects - projects we as a collective, or as individual groups that we could get involved in. John has a good one to get us started which I think might interest some of you on here. Also open to charity events etc. And there's a certain little project I've been trying to get off the ground for a while ;)

* Away Fan Feedback - feedback from fans who travel to away games so that John can pass these on to his opposite numbers at other clubs. What was good about the trip? What was bad? And ultimately, what ideas can we nick for Bramall Lane to benefit both home and away fans?

Also a good platform for someone to brag about their jaunts abroad (I'm going to campaign hard for the "under the underpass" bit outside Sporting's ground!)

* Feedback from SUFC - Updates from John/any other Club official who wants to attend about what we need to know. Also answering points and questions raised at the previous meeting.

* Feedback to SUFC - Chance for every group around the table to put forward their comments, suggestions and questions to the SLO on behalf of their groups. If anyone has a burning desire to put forward their own comments, I am happy for you to come along to the meeting and present your own opinion or just to come along and see what is discussed.

I understand the criticism put forward of these sorts of meetings when the football side of the Club is the reason we're all here and the area you all want to comment on. But I would rather know that at least that there is an open line of communication between places like this and staff at the Lane and at least try and achieve something positive.

So... if anyone has any comments they would like Foxy and I to take to the next meeting, please leave a comment in this thread. So far I'm planning to mention:

* 0870 numbers - was mentioned before. Will get a firm response on this. I'd be interested to know if anyone has asked for a refund yet?

* Data Protection - this is one Highbury_Blade has mentioned in relation to the passwords on the online ticketing system. Are there any other instances? I will also ask for clarification as to when we agreed for our data to be shared with third parties such as other football clubs.

* Twenty's Plenty campaign - what are your thoughts and feelings should we want to raise this as an issue with the Club?

Any more for any more?

Thanks, it's good to see someone taking the initiative here. Moving to the pub is a good idea. Why not ask Jim Phipps to come along if he's in town?

Here's my suggestion, and it has been suggested before. Why not allow an existing retail outlet in town to be used a purchase point, or if this isn't possible a pick-up point for tickets? The current system deters spur-of-the-moment fans. It means you can't go to the pub with your mates, as you must spend your pre-match time queuing up outside the Lane. It was far easier in the old days when you could just pay on the turnstile.

The trains have a system where you can buy a ticket online, then pick it up from a machine by keying in a unique code and feeding it your credit card for ID. The club could find out which company makes those machines, and get one installed somewhere in town. Alternatively, just stick a pick-up booth on the Moor on match days, or allow tickets to be picked up from the Sheffield Theatres box offices at the Crucible or City Hall

Also the premium phone line is an illegal rip-off. Why's it still in place?

Are any more supporters' branches active apart from Handsworth and the Old Crown? It's a shame if not. There used to be plenty more.

Midweek . In the middle of two bookended Saturday home games. Playing poorly. Fans tentative at best. Prices from £22. Which really means £24 to gen pub. It's Scunthorpe.

Does someone possibly think they might have missed a trick here? At the very least, re-offer the £10 deal they did for the original fixture.

Midweek . In the middle of two bookended Saturday home games. Playing poorly. Fans tentative at best. Prices from £22. Which really means £24 to gen pub. It's Scunthorpe.

Does someone possibly think they might have missed a trick here? At the very least, re-offer the £10 deal they did for the original fixture.

They're saying that a STH can bring someone along for a tenner, was that not the original deal? But agreed, keeping it as cat A in midweek sandwiched between two home games as it is is taking the piss, if you need to partially refund both the people who bought for the original fixture to make it cat B, do so. Or, heaven forbid, cheaper - interesting that they still list that "cheapest in the league at a tenner" on the home ticket news page despite not having that this season, at least yet (although as they've announced everything but the last game already, I'll take a shot in the dark and say that won't be a tenner either)

They're saying that a STH can bring someone along for a tenner, was that not the original deal? But agreed, keeping it as cat A in midweek sandwiched between two home games as it is is taking the piss, if you need to partially refund both the people who bought for the original fixture to make it cat B, do so. Or, heaven forbid, cheaper - interesting that they still list that "cheapest in the league at a tenner" on the home ticket news page despite not having that this season, at least yet (although as they've announced everything but the last game already, I'll take a shot in the dark and say that won't be a tenner either)
Apologies if true, that was the original deal. However, no mention of it was made on the big screen , which probably only makes it worse really.

Linz

I've always thought it would be a good idea to form a sort of 'savings account' for fans - £0.x per ticket sold goes into a defined supporters kitty (5p in every £10 or something). This is then used to fund tickets or merch for ill or deserving kids, charitable donations on behalf of the clubs supporters, subsidise away travel on those long tuesday night trips or provide money for supporter events - it could also occasionally be used to buy banners, confetti & flags to help us turn the shoreham end into a wall of red and white a la Die gelbe Wand for the big games.

Its spending could become the remit of this group or a seperate 'comittee' set up - If a fan has an idea on what to spend it on then funding could be applied for on a grant application basis. If its not viable for SUFC to commit a ticket sale percentage (and I could understand why it may not be) then perhaps it could be a £1-2 per month subscription job.

Essentially, it'd be a kitty of money for the fans to spend on the sort of stuff that makes being a fan a bit better but isnt necessarily within the remit of SUFC themselves.

If this isnt something the club are interested in facilitating, maybe its something that could be set up via a site like this one and part of that kitty could go to forum running costs?

Last edited:
Here's a suggestion - though I am fully aware that it will never happen.

When first team players are not in the first team squad (injured, suspended, dropped) for away games, one or two players should be allocated to each of the official club coaches so they have to get up when supporters do, get down to the lane early doors (not staying in plush hotels with the team), travel on coaches talking to fans, finding out exactly what people think and how much they care about the club, and sitting in the stands surrounded by fans when its freezing and pissing it down to get the full 'fan' experience to realise what is invested in them only for them to surrender meekly on the pitch.
They will also find out the difference in mood on the way back after a victory and a defeat and how their actions affect peoples lives.
The fans who are paying the club to travel on their coaches would enjoy having a player there and maybe the player might even enjoy it. Anyway, bugger it if they don't they are on thousands a week and could give something back.

Can you raise the issue of away game seat allocation please. It's a real lottery and when you spend in the region of £25 on the ticket price alone and no guarantee of seeing the game, due to fans standing up and blocking the view.
I understand that a good proportion of fans prefer to stand throughout the game. but could there not be a simple system at least for season tickets holders whereby fans are grouped in areas that match the home fan system e.g. family stand folk together - it can't be hard to sort that...many thanks

I emailed the box office prior to the Scunny game to see if there were any offers on remaining home games (my friend who's not a Blade takes his Godson, who is, now and then) and was told that there were none. Now, I didn't identify myself as a season ticket holder but that should not have mattered if the offer was available.

All seats are a tenner for the Chesterfield game. Tickets for all home matches are now on sale in Argos. Jay McCeverly is going to travel down to Yeovil in a minibus going from the Manor.

How did it go Linz?
Any updates gratefully appreciated.

Just getting his Lordship to check over the report to make sure I've not made any glaring omissions before sending it round and publicising. Will lock this thread, post report in it when approved and open a new thread for the next meeting.

Attendees:

Official Supporters' Club: Sarah Barber, John Cain, Wayne Shortland with guest Matt Bassett.
Senior Blades: Brian Walton, Kathryn Woodward
SUDS: Janet Ireland
S24SU: Lindsay Fox, Martin Fox
SUFC: John Garrett, Mal Brannigan

Introduction from LF on relaunch of meeting.

Updates from groups:
Official Supporters' Club:

WS and SB: disappointed by attendance at Player of the Season awards. Despite £6.50 ticket price and attendance by the full first team squad, only around 90 people were there.

The rest of the table stated that they had received no advertising material from the OSC. MF pointed out that as well as not being advertised widely, it wasn't made clear that non-members were welcome to attend.

The OSC is still operating without a valid constitution.

Matchday Support:

WS: Tony Currie event went very well and was featured in The Star after the even to further publicise the charity. Watch this space for the next event.

SUDS:

JI: Recently had AGM. Committee stays the same. Only news to report was that they recently had a fire drill in the International Bar which has identified issues with safe evacuation of wheelchairs - only two people could be evacuated in the allotted 8 minutes. Feedback was provided to the Club and both are working towards a solution.

Senior Blades:

KW: Monthly meetings every second Tuesday of the month. Currently have around 700 members, with 200 regularly attending lunch meetings.

ACTION:LF asked OSC, SUDS and SB if they could forward details of how to join their groups so that these could be publicised.

S24SU:

LF/MF: Footgolf being held on Good Friday, all welcome. Play at Footgolf Centre of Excellence in Doncaster and are looking to do it regularly throughout summer.

Northwich Beer Festival is on 27th June. Through members of the forum, we've struck up a friendly association with 1874 Northwich and have been to a few of their previous festivals which help raise money for the club. Tickets are £5 and available through MF.

Forum Football - regularly play friendly 5-a-side on Sunday mornings. All abilities and ages welcome. Look out on forum for details.

Projects:
Memorial Project

Over a number of months, JG and SB have been working to identify a number of graves of former United players which have fallen into disrepair. Many don't mention their football careers and they are at risk of becoming completely unmarked as unsafe gravestones are removed. JG has asked that the fan groups get involved to both offer their time and raise money to try and get these former players remembered properly. Currently looking at around £5000 for the graves currently identified, but work is ongoing.

ACTION:Publicise around groups, start thinking of fundraising ideas. Bring feedback to next meeting.

Beer Festival

WS, SB, LF and MF: Currently looking at The Old Crown/Albion in September time. Date will be set when fixtures are released. Meetings ongoing regarding this.

Away fan report:

JG: Known issues with standing at Oldham blocking the view of disabled fans have already been mentioned to the Club with the fixture approaching. This is down to stewarding at Oldham.

ACTION:Please feed back at next meeting.

Feedback from SUFC:

JG: Working on ways to make SLO role more visible. Discussing the idea of having three sub-SLOs in place for next season. Currently working with external bodies to improve the matchday experience at Bramall Lane to try and exceed the requirements set out by the Football League. More work with being done with schools around the Museum.

The anniversary of the Khaki Cup Final is coming up and articles will be going out in The Star. A cup winners' medal will be going on display in the Museum.

160th anniversary of Bramall Lane coming up.

The Club are aware of issues with behaviour on the Kop and are working closely with Police to attempt to eradicate it. All fans are asked to report unsavoury behaviour to stewards. Where this is of a racist nature and you feel unable to speak to the nearest steward, the Club have received reports via the Kick it Out app and were able to act on them.

http://www.kickitout.org/get-involved/report-it/the-kick-it-out-app/

Feedback to SUFC

Consumer contracts directive - all post-contractual dealings should be via a local rate telephone number.

MB: Club is currently looking to update the telephone systems.

Issues regarding Data Protection and current ticketing software. MF will produce a written report and pass on so that this can be taken up with software providers.

Complaints that offers are not publicised properly i.e. bring a friend for a tenner at Scunthorpe match.

MB: Club will look into this.

Fans' kitty: Either by subscription or money on ticket price, having a pot of money which could be used to subsidise tickets for disadvantaged kids, long Tuesday night trips or ways of adding to support i.e. balloons, confetti etc. in the same vein as clubs around do.

MB/JG: This is something the group or OSC could look into.

Season ticket pricing.

MB asked for feedback.

Pricing and interest free option well received around the table.

Date of next meeting: Tuesday 19th May.

Chris Mitchell has asked to be invited to the next meeting to answer, if possible, any queries with regards to Policing on behalf of South Yorkshire Police.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom