Was that really Clough's fault?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As every defender knows. You f*ck around at your peril when you're the last man...
Just remembered reading about Sir Alf Ramsey's conversation with Jack Charlton

Sir Alf: You dont trust Bobby Moore dont you?
Jack: What do you mean by that? He is a good player!
Sir Alf: I have noticed that when Moore brings the ball out of defence, you usually stay behind him in case he loses the ball

Harris is good as bringing the ball out of defence so Basham/McEveley should stay behind him just like Jack Charlton did rather than be level with him

"Words to live by" - OK I'll carry on expressing my worries about the manager then:p. Thanks Miserable:D.

Good, I wouldn't want you to not put what you think just because I don't agree. What would be the point in that?

We get it, you don't like them, you have mentioned it a million times. You give them pelters for just about everything and credit them for nothing. Sometimes a bit of balance is called for. It can't always be the fault of them not smiling or patting everyone on the head.

Good, I wouldn't want you to not put what you think just because I don't agree. What would be the point in that?

Balance achieved;)

Actually I do take your point though.

Just remembered reading about Sir Alf Ramsey's conversation with Jack Charlton

Sir Alf: You dont trust Bobby Moore dont you?
Jack: What do you mean by that? He is a good player!
Sir Alf: I have noticed that when Moore brings the ball out of defence, you usually stay behind him in case he loses the ball

Harris is good as bringing the ball out of defence so Basham/McEveley should stay behind him just like Jack Charlton did rather than be level with him

Exactly! Bashambauer should play sweeper.

We could say that I guess yeah. It seemed like we had a few chances though.
Yep, we did have chances but I think folk are ignoring the fact that they had more! 50%[ish] of the play, 12 attempts on goal to our 8, 4 [each] on target and 7 corners to our 2. They didn't steal the points - I am sad to say they earned them. Home and away [apart from Bristol and possibly Crawley] we have flattered to deceive - I have been at most of them and that is a fact.

Whilst we have been picking up points, our play hasn't been great at all and when you don't get the 'rub of the green', as was the case Tuesday night, you are easily exposed.

If we had successfully held out Tuesday, and won 1-0 against the run of play, would that have made us the better team on the night?

If I were on the Board I would be looking for the man to take us up both levels. Money spent wisely now can help do the next stage too. 12 months ago Clough looked like that man but oh dear we are looking ragged and dispirited and I would not have believed that such a promising start to Clough's SU career could taper off so quickly. Of course we can win more than our share but we are way off where we should be which IMO is where Bristol are now. Top of the league with our budget should have been within our grasp.

Every so often a serious manager becomes available. I hope S6 don't capture Lambert for example.

As regards the Board, you were slow to believe that they were funding Clough all along and therefore believed that Clough's hands were tied when they weren't. Therefore you have allowed Clough more latitude in your own mind than some of us have, for the best reasons of course. The January spending was an enormous act of faith by the board because it was additional budget on what was expected and asked for a few months earlier.

We've had 20 years of pain so a little more wont hurt us . Although the Clough regime have not come up trumps with automatic promotion , having a pre season cock up , and bringing in a player who knows were the net is January and another forward who has forgot were the net is in February ( but hoping he finds it ) , no serious manger would come to the lane . Also why change , it would be madness.

We will go up , but all this farting about getting rid of managers has to stop .

Yes i was pissed off against Peterborough , but we ain't going to win all games , as this league is so unpredictable , anyone can beat anyone , never mind your position in the league.

Also with regards Lambert , i couldn't care a toss who went to S6 .

Stick with Clough and co , and lets see were we are at the end of the season. I know it sounds daft , but with the squad we have got , we would be in a stable position in the championship and better shape , than in this shit league 1. Yes we have to get there first and we will.

UTB

He should have stopped the second as well, also Coventry's first should have been covered. Other than that, he's a decent keeper......
When I saw the second in real time from G block south stand I thought it was a very good finish so I think that's a bit harsh. The first reminded me of Burn and his slow laying down just out of reach of the daisy cutter. In fairness though we shouldn't allow pot shots from there. I think he hit the post with a similar one earlier so we'd had a warning and not heeded it.

When I saw the second in real time from G block south stand I thought it was a very good finish so I think that's a bit harsh. The first reminded me of Burn and his slow laying down just out of reach of the daisy cutter. In fairness though we shouldn't allow pot shots from there. I think he hit the post with a similar one earlier so we'd had a warning and not heeded it.

It's a harsh world for goalkeepers, or so HB Jnr tells me (as he is at his keeper training tonight)

It's a harsh world for goalkeepers, or so HB Jnr tells me (as he is at his keeper training tonight)
Very true. I was a keeper in the days when you could pick up a back pass. Things look very different when you're facing shots. The movement on these current balls is a nightmare for them too (not that it had an impact in those two goals). I think Turner is decent and it's not his fault we lost.

They came out second half much more determined and set a better tempo. Possibly feeling they had weathered the best we had to offer. Let's not forget that they were among the pre season favourites and have just changed manager so are going through that windows where everyone adds ten percent to their game to prove themselves again. A bad time to play them really.

I honestly didn't think their big lad at the back was that bad either aside from one error that I'd give more credit to Done than error to him

For me a significant part of this thread is hearing about the stressed-out, and stressing-out, behaviour from the management. This does sound like pressure rather than a devious psychological strategy.

Back
Top Bottom