Neill Collins

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TonyAgana

Reaction score
I didn't hear it and rarely take anything he says seriously, but apparently "Brian the Blade" was spreading a couple of rumours about the Neill Collins / Nigel Clough relationship. Apparently Collins was told he would never play in a Nigel Clough side again after the Chesterfield match.

Now, having had another look at the Chesterfield highlights, he wasn't at fault for any of the goals and nodded in a header in the 90th minute from a set-piece. Clough wasn't in any way scathing about anybody in his post-match interview so there's nothing to suggest what Brian says is true other than the fact that we haven't seen Collins since that day.

Does anybody have anything to add to the very little that we actually know?

We can only add that Brian the Blade is a total pratt and nothing he says should ever be given value. The fact he continually gets air time is nonsensical. Best to just switch off yer wireless as soon as you hear his boring, droning voice.

I heard that the Clough/ Collins falling out was because Cloughy wanted Collins to hold a higher line rather than defend so deep. He refused to listen and that was that for him.
Brian the Blade- 100% agree with sitwell.

Obviously been some sort of rift. Not buying the 'official' reasoning behind JCR's departure either. Clough's way or the highway.
Somewhere along the line JCR lost his mojo. It was a smart move to send him back to County to regain it in time for the playoffs.

Clough basically shrugged it off a few weeks after Swindon saying something along the lines that he'd said the defending was shite, shipping 5 goals v Swindon was proof.

Asked about Collins he said he'd no problem with him, but Collins himself had excluded himself. When he was ready to comeback and talk clough was open to that.

We heard nothing for a few weeks then Collins came out saying he wanted to fight for his place etc.

Nothing heard from clough for another few weeks then he said Collins was up for sale/ loan as he didn't see him anywhere near the first team and he could leave

It's not verbatim but it was words to that effect in cloughs bladesplayer video interviews. Collins' snippet was in the star I think

Clough basically shrugged it off a few weeks after Swindon saying something along the lines that he'd said the defending was shite, shipping 5 goals v Swindon was proof.

Asked about Collins he said he'd no problem with him, but Collins himself had excluded himself. When he was ready to comeback and talk clough was open to that.

We heard nothing for a few weeks then Collins came out saying he wanted to fight for his place etc.

Nothing heard from clough for another few weeks then he said Collins was up for sale/ loan as he didn't see him anywhere near the first team and he could leave

It's not verbatim but it was words to that effect in cloughs bladesplayer video interviews. Collins' snippet was in the star I think
Neil is rapidly going the way of Joan

Ive heard it is purely football reasons ,Butler and Collins think they know better than Clough and Morgan and want to play their way. Clough actually said his door was open for Collins to come and talk ,but he hadn't ,adding he should be experienced enough to find it by now.
My own thoughts on Collins may be harsh but a couple of years ago when we were on a good run Maguire and Lowton got sent off ,Lescinel got injured against Oldham and Collins had a personal matter to deal with. His child was ill I think but I never knew the whole story ,anyway we had no defence away to Walsall ,had Egan and Hill making debuts and we lost in a game we should have won and would probably have seen us promoted ,it was a pivotal game. Knowing how desperate we were why couldn't he have played for 90 minutes (he had about a month off) ,thousands of people travelled to that game.
As I say I may be harsh I don't know the full story of Collins problems but other players have had bad family problems before and managed to turn out for 90 minutes.

My own thoughts on Collins may be harsh but a couple of years ago when we were on a good run Maguire and Lowton got sent off ,Lescinel got injured against Oldham and Collins had a personal matter to deal with. His child was ill I think but I never knew the whole story ,anyway we had no defence away to Walsall ,had Egan and Hill making debuts and we lost in a game we should have won and would probably have seen us promoted ,it was a pivotal game. Knowing how desperate we were why couldn't he have played for 90 minutes (he had about a month off) ,thousands of people travelled to that game.
As I say I may be harsh I don't know the full story of Collins problems but other players have had bad family problems before and managed to turn out for 90 minutes.

Not going to go into any detail, but at that particular time it was far more important than football. He should be excused that one!

Not going to go into any detail, but at that particular time it was far more important than football. He should be excused that one!
Fair enough if that's the case , that one or the whole month ?

Ive heard it is purely football reasons ,Butler and Collins think they know better than Clough and Morgan and want to play their way. Clough actually said his door was open for Collins to come and talk ,but he hadn't ,adding he should be experienced enough to find it by now.
If my child were ill, I know where I'd be.... not anywhere near a football pitch. And that's as a fan of the Club, not an employee.

Only strange ? ............... I'd go as far as to say it's criminal.

The wonderful world of Clough . Will we ever get used to it . Only if we get promoted and stabilise in the championship. If we fail ( which i don't think we will ) , could he make issues worst with both fans and certain players .

Fleetwood next , which SUFC will turn up.

UTB

Apparently butler and Collins advised Harry to go and clough fell out with them. If true they probably assumed it would have made them 1st choice. Probably bullshit

What I don't get about the Collins situation but same for butler , Doyle at start of season is why the club is not put first .
Tell you what if This sort of playground stuff went off at my work someone above would come down on it and sort it for the good of the company
Why is a football club any different ?
Why has Collins gone from first choice centre back to no one - if he has said something discipline him then move on ... Same with butler - what an absolute farce. The football club should be way bigger than egos - whose ever they are

Apparently butler and Collins advised Harry to go and clough fell out with them. If true they probably assumed it would have made them 1st choice. Probably bullshit

That^^^ is exactly what I heard too.

Also before Maguire left a relative bumped into Collins who asked him about maguire, he said that "if he goes it would be a good move for him" (read into that what you choose to)

Apparently Collins had bags of time to talk to them and never tried to move along as players usually do when fans stop them. Very nice guy apparently.

I also think Collins is a major reason why Maguire is so good

Amazing how Neill Collins has been turned into some Beckenbauer-esque defender in the last three months or so.

From what I remember he was the worst loan defender we have had and then came back to be one of the main reasons we ended up in Division 3 in the first place.

My memory must be playing up.

I've employed men ok I know it's in the building game but there's a lot who I've had issues a good few who couldn't stand and visa versa but we know we could do each other a job just get on with it he should have done this with Collins and Butler

What I don't get about the Collins situation but same for butler , Doyle at start of season is why the club is not put first .
Tell you what if This sort of playground stuff went off at my work someone above would come down on it and sort it for the good of the company
Why is a football club any different ?
Why has Collins gone from first choice centre back to no one - if he has said something discipline him then move on ... Same with butler - what an absolute farce. The football club should be way bigger than egos - whose ever they are
Ever thought it might be to do with football ,rather than egos ?

This all sounds like something akin to Collins can play again if he goes and grovels to the headmaster. If so, it's pathetic.

This all sounds like something akin to Collins can play again if he goes and grovels to the headmaster. If so, it's pathetic.
People will make their own conclusions of it like you've done. I personally think Clough told them a few home truths about the way they played, Collins didn't like it, Clough didn't like him spitting the dummy.

I was told that Collins reacted to being criticised in the dressing room after the Swindon defeat.
Apparently you do things Cloughs way or the highway.

Amazing how Neill Collins has been turned into some Beckenbauer-esque defender in the last three months or so.

From what I remember he was the worst loan defender we have had and then came back to be one of the main reasons we ended up in Division 3 in the first place.

My memory must be playing up.

You remember correctly. You also forget how well he's played (generally) at a lower level since.

Collins is a model professional and doesn't look the type to fallout with anybody, other than a centre forward. Cloughy perhaps doesn't rate him but he got Maguire out of a lot of shit last season and would do the same this season. To say i'm baffled as to why he hasn't had more game time after our defensive performances this season would be an understatement.

Back
Top Bottom