Quick out of ten

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

oh didn't Higdon get 2 late goals Leyton orient? Sorry i get confused. Someone who looked like him.
....without which last night wouldn't have happened (It was MK but the point's the same). I'm no fan but he did well in the short time he was on. McNulty did little, he's not the answer yet though his time may come. Those who want NC to 'play him every week...' need to think again. Adams was the big plus. Well done whoever spotted him. I get the impression he's a good character too.

Wouldnt really mark anyone down last night, a tough game that overall and in the end we represented ourselves well as a team and as individuals.

I do have a keen interest in goalkeeping performances, and although Howard did well to get in the way of numerous shots, he still could be questioned on both goals conceded, a lack of anticipation left him in no position to make an effort for either.
The first was perfectly placed in the top corner, but that is reachable if its seen all the way from a fair distance out, he was flat footed moving the wrong way leaving himself unable to cover the whole right hand side of the goal.
The second was taken first time and well placed, but not the most powerful -again he was unable to even make an effort.
That said I wouldn't swap him for spurs keeper last night.

And how the fuck would you know? Sat at home listening to Keith is not representative of how he or the other players actually play. And this is not a bigger Blade post. I just get sick and tired of negativity after a performance like last night. Perspective PLEASE!

Course - he's banging them in this season isn't he?

Silly me. Higdon = the answer to our striking shortcomings.

pommpey

I thought JCR had a very poor game, particularly first half. He frustrated me as he'd beat his man, then go back to beat him again. We needed the ball into the box early

I think when he had the ball, he looked like a threat. The way he went round Davies was typical of what JCR can do. And he has goals in him. Spurs then cancelled him out on that flank, much the same as at WHL.

pommpey

Looks like im not the only 'mardy arse' who dares to disagree with you.

Feller, you really do need to dry your eyes. Its like 'look how many people are in my gang' shit with you isn't it? Remember - opinions and arseholes. We all have them. Like I say, I don't know whose shat in your potty, but I wish you'd lighten the fuck up. My opinion - Flynn, not as good a player as everyone makes out. Yours - different. C'est la vie.

Sheffield United now outside the playoffs.

pommpey

Hey, he went to Portsmouth away in 2013 don't you know!

lol @ Rodders, etc

Flynn was shit that day as well. So was Doyle. And we had a lumbering, lummox up front who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a fucking banjo.

How things change, eh?

pommpey

I think when he had the ball, he looked like a threat. The way he went round Davies was typical of what JCR can do. And he has goals in him. Spurs then cancelled him out on that flank, much the same as at WHL.

pommpey

In fairness, both wingers were completely ineffective until Higdon & Che came on. Switching Murphy to the right worked a treat, most of the game before he struggled like JCR, except for a few chances. It wasn't a game for JCR though, murphy tore them apart down the right and Che Adams really frightened Kyle Walker with his pace and power.

However, bringing Higdon on really worried them, they didn't really know how to handle him, McNulty was getting the ball to feet and the game wasn't being played at pace in the final third, yet when Higdon came on it gave us space down the wings and murphy/ Che exposed them.

Is that what it is all about, sitwell? 'How many people agree with or liked it'?

Cor, you're a right piece of work. I've known you on these boards for some years now, and you've suddenly turned into a right mardy arse.

I couldn't give a fat fuck how many agree or like my write up. Its my opinion. I'm concerned you chose to judge it as 'bullshit' mind but then again, this season has been an exercise is justifying mediocrity away from the Cup challenges for you, hasn't it? Our League One position upholds that somewhat misguided viewpoint, doesn't it?

Never mind. Like I say, I hope I am wrong about Flynn. But one purple patch does not make him the new Len Badger, does it? You still haven't answered who was supposed to be close-in on Eriksson when he found himself in Graves Park to slot in their winner. But never mind. Onwards and erm ... yeah ...

pommpey

If Basham had stayed in line and not dropped off the back 4 Eriksson would have been offside for the last goal - u only see what u want ( and that's through BEER glasses ) fud!

If Basham had stayed in line and not dropped off the back 4 Eriksson would have been offside for the last goal - u only see what u want ( and that's through BEER glasses ) fud!

Eh?

pommpey

And I would love to see what you think a good or a great ball is if you think Flynn's for our 1st was just "decent".

Baxter much higher than a 4 as well for me...
Baxter was poor imo....slow,slow,slow....one great tackle though...

....without which last night wouldn't have happened (It was MK but the point's the same). I'm no fan but he did well in the short time he was on. McNulty did little, he's not the answer yet though his time may come. Those who want NC to 'play him every week...' need to think again. Adams was the big plus. Well done whoever spotted him. I get the impression he's a good character too.
McNulty won't come up against defenders like that in our league all season,they were strong and knew exactly what they could get away with.Don't drop the lad on the back of that performance,that is how confidence gets dropped,the lad is fine in our league and will get goals if our midfield play higher up the pitch like we did for the last 20 minutes last night,Higdons' cameo was great last night because of this exact thing.

I focussed on Baxter for about ten minutes during the second half. He was stuck in a hole in midfield and couldn't get involved. When he did, some of his passes were accurate, but other times he was simply closed down too quick or not fast enough to deal with a midfield with the likes of Dembele who are well used to robbing the ball and going past tortoises like him. He still looks like he's carrying a bit of spare, and this looks like its always hindering him getting about in midfield. That burst back to make that tackle - I thought he was gonna blow chunks all over the penalty area. Don't get me wrong, it was a perfect tackle, but Baxter as a package is too slow, too inconsistent and doesn't contribute anywhere near enough to be involved in a team pushing for Championship status. If you disagree, just imagine him next year facing Derby's midfield for example who are (at times) very agile and attack minded and would just pass Baxter out of the game.

Its a shame, because he has some ability. he can strike a ball really, really well. But then again, if you compare him to the better central midfielders we have had at the Lane - Browny for example - I can't see Baxter battling it out at the edge of our box, laying it wide and then cropping up tenwty seconds later to clip the ball into the net from the edge of the opposition area.

pommpey

I can't see Baxter battling it out at the edge of our box, laying it wide and then cropping up tenwty seconds later to clip the ball into the net from the edge of the opposition area.

pommpey
You need to focus on him for more than ten minutes then.You'd be suprised how many goals he's scored for us from the edge of the box,admittedly not recently but his qualities are there for everyone to see when used right like he was for the last 20 minutes last night.

You need to focus on him for more than ten minutes then.You'd be suprised how many goals he's scored for us from the edge of the box,admittedly not recently but his qualities are there for everyone to see when used right like he was for the last 20 minutes last night.

Aye. We can all wax lyrical and top it off with 'admittedly, not recently' wizardy.

I'm on about now.

pommpey

Well when, towards the end of the game, he was instructed to play in a deeper role. For me he did it to perfection. Two great tackles and he got us moving forwards by spraying the ball wide. Managed to keep the ball under pressure very well too. He was quiet in the 1st half though and didn't contribute much in terms of chances etc. 6/10 would be more apt for his performance.

I must have witnessed a different match, must have been the 8 pints.
Howard 7
Flynn 8.5
Basham 7.5
McEveley 7
Harris 8
JCR 5.5
Scougall 7
Doyle 5.5
Baxter 6
Murphy 9
McNulty 5.5

yeah because McNulty is going mad scoring isn't he.

Feller - we still need a striker, despite all the orgasming over Brayford, Freeman and Coutts . I'd take McNuts over Higdon anyday though. Against Southampton, the little fucker ran them ragged.

pommpey

i don't doubt another striker would be great but as I've said we haven't seen enough of higdon to be judgemental yet. O grady didn't exactly set the world on fire when on loan with us did he. We'll need more reinforcements for the run in definitely. Maybe pairings of Adams/higdon and mcnulty/o grady. Still a lot of games left. More legs equals fresh legs.

Aye. We can all wax lyrical and top it off with 'admittedly, not recently' wizardy.

I'm on about now.

pommpey
If you'd have stated now in your original post i could have perhaps given a better assesment for you mate.As it is,not having Baxter at our club now,some would only see the influence he has on a game once he's gone.We shouldn't even be suggesting getting rid mate because if we are,then nearly all the midfield would be out of a job.

Baxter is far more effective as a playmaker in front of the back 4 than he is further forward. If and when he plays, it has to be that role, for me.
I think now is the time to try it,in league one.Doyle isn't going to be here forever,and we played a lot better once Doyle went off against Premiership opposition,so no one can say it would be a gamble to do it in league one as he proved he can do it last night.It would make us so much better in an attacking sense.

Walker has the physicality Flynn could only dream of. Check out Murphy's two black eyes. He is fast, reads the game and gets in on the opponent. I didn't see Flynny do much of that all game. He was particularly poor when we won throws down by the South Stand/Kop End corner and didn't seem to know what to do when he received the ball back. It was always check back, pass back, or try to bustle through for which he lacks the pace or physicality to do.

pommpey
:confused:

Never mind. Like I say, I hope I am wrong about Flynn. But one purple patch does not make him the new Len Badger, does it? You still haven't answered who was supposed to be close-in on Eriksson when he found himself in Graves Park to slot in their winner. But never mind. Onwards and erm ... yeah ...

pommpey

Basham played Erikksen onside!!!

Back
Top Bottom