The Higdon Enigma

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
Hear me out on this one...

I've watched Higdon in the last two games and I think we're starting to see something with him

V Preston
We started with a 3-5-2, but changed this to 4-4-2 when we realised that the two wing backs weren't up to the high intensity that's required for that position. The key though was through central midfield and up front. Higdon played the traditional target man with Diego off him. First half we were slow to get going, Higdon and Diego didn't get much dropping for them.

Second half was a different story, it was ideal for Higdon, the balls were coming direct, but also to feet, the midfield using Higdon frequently to hold the ball, play one-twos or to let Higdon lay the ball off to Diego.

Higdon and Diego looked a natural partnership once they settled and with Murphy out left and Baxter spraying the ball about as he wished, we constantly looked dangerous

Pros - hold up play, receiving the ball to feet, playing with his back to goal, bringing the second striker into play
Cons - shooting, he had an effort from just inside the box which he ballooned! And oddly in the air on crosses he looked too heavy. He seems to jump early and is always on the way down by the time he heads it

V Spurs
Coming in late and with us going more direct, he could put the centre halves under pressure, often with both centre halves clambering over him to head it, he looked strong and frightened them, our goals came from Che being free as Walker left him - twice. Why? Because he'd been dragged across to help with Higdon.

The way we play with 3 up front on the counter and players like Scoogs and Reed breaking forward means that the centre halves will be occupied with Higdon, a more powerful and frightening prospect than McNulty as he's more physical and much more of a handful. He gets involved and gives them a different challenge. It also allows the wingers to break into the box late and unmarked

Pros - hold up play, physical presence, target man
Cons - slow and lumbering at times

Higdon v McNulty
McNulty is most definitely first choice, his movement and touch are fantastic, but his finishing is what really wins it. However, there is certainly a place for a Higdon type player, perhaps as the impact player or in games, like Preston where they have two big lumps at the back. McNulty also doesn't like to play with his back to goal, great most of the time, but he wants to turn all the time,rather than looking to hold the ball and play simple one twos, he's always on the look out to turn, this sometimes means he gets pushed out of position, runs down a blind alley or plays the ball back anyway, often taking pace out of an attack. Higdon and Diego at Preston maintained the pace in the attack and quick passes got Diego through on more than one occasion.

The problem that we have is that we need Higdon to have more spark about him, he needs to have that striker instinct and the finish to go with it. Compared to O'Grady, Higdon just doesn't seem to have enough, yet. I personally don't think we have time this season to allow Higdon to get both his fitness, form and to find that spark. Next season maybe, but we need O'Grady by Saturday.

I thought we only really looked a threat when Higdon came on. He got involved in the box and made Walker come in to help out the centre half which left space in the box for others.

It always bemuses me when people constantly slate players like Higdon and Heskey. They're going to have bad games but they do a great job for the team overall even though most people won't recognise it.

I thought we only really looked a threat when Higdon came on. He got involved in the box and made Walker come in to help out the centre half which left space in the box for others.

It always bemuses me when people constantly slate players like Higdon and Heskey. They're going to have bad games but they do a great job for the team overall even though most people won't recognise it.
Exactly! Walker left Che twice to cover Higdon, Che scored both times he was left unmarked.

It was interesting as I think he hardly touched the ball at all yet was heavily involved for both goals simply by giving the centre backs something different to think about.

Last edited:
As a team, we're really lightweight. Poor Scoogs was getting knocked off the ball all night and Reed isn't much bulkier. Even Basham, despite being tallish, is skinny. If we don't have a big man somewhere, I think that makes opponents feel more comfortable. We still come up against managers who say we're good at set pieces (eg Grayson), but we're woeful.

I'm not suggesting that we should play Higdon for nuisance value, but he definitely gives defenders a different problem to think about. I thought he played well at Preston and although last night was a bit of a cameo, he did win some headers, which McNulty can't do.

I was impressed by Adams pace and wonder whether he could work off Higdon's knock downs?

I can sort of agree with a lot of what has been said on this thread.

However, in all honesty, the only role I could possibly ever give to Higdon would be to come off the bench for the last 20 mins or so to try and stir it up. Simply is not good enough over 90 minutes as is technically quite awful and has the turning circle of an oil tanker.

In the modern football world, players in the Higdon mould are, across the globe, a dying breed. If you are exceptional at the role of "target man", then it can be a very useful asset to any side. Higdon isn't.

I was sat 2 seats away from a bloke last night who, throughout the whole 90 minutes was constantly shouting "get it up there", "get it in to the mixer".

Pinchy is right. There are vast sections of the fans at BDTBL who refuse to accept that football has evolved.

I have complete faith that Clough is dragging this club kicking and screaming in to the modern world of technical football after far too many years of up and at em shite !!

And long may it continue.

Getting to the point, if this journey is to continue, whatever impact players like Michael Higdon may occasionally have, in the long term, I doubt he will have much of a future under the current management.

UTB.

Agree with the OP that Higdon has done well in his last two games.

At Preston he held the ball up well and got it out of his feet quickly. He battled well winning the 50/50s.

There will be times this season where we'll need to go more direct and Higdon gives us the option to do this.

EDIT - The main thing when playing Higdon is to get players near him. People who traveled to Preston might agree that in the first half he was isolated and therefore ineffective. Can do his role well as long as he has options when he brings it down.

Last edited:
As a team, we're really lightweight. Poor Scoogs was getting knocked off the ball all night and Reed isn't much bulkier. Even Basham, despite being tallish, is skinny. If we don't have a big man somewhere, I think that makes opponents feel more comfortable. We still come up against managers who say we're good at set pieces (eg Grayson), but we're woeful.

I'm not suggesting that we should play Higdon for nuisance value, but he definitely gives defenders a different problem to think about. I thought he played well at Preston and although last night was a bit of a cameo, he did win some headers, which McNulty can't do.

I was impressed by Adams pace and wonder whether he could work off Higdon's knock downs?

We may see a completely differant Higdon with John Brayford back in the side and Flynn reverting to his usual position.

The Higdon , Evans partnership , for the little time we saw it , did look very promising .

Higdon does give us further options , and last night , we did look more of a goal threat , when he came on with young Evans.

Evans pace , energy , enthusiasm will assist Higdons attributes of strength and holding the ball .

Higdon cant run the channels , but Evans will do it for him.

UTB

However, in all honesty, the only role I could possibly ever give to Higdon would be to come off the bench for the last 20 mins or so to try and stir it up. Simply is not good enough over 90 minutes as is technically quite awful and has the turning circle of an oil tanker.

In the modern football world, players in the Higdon mould are, across the globe, a dying breed. If you are exceptional at the role of "target man", then it can be a very useful asset to any side. Higdon isn't.

I was sat 2 seats away from a bloke last night who, throughout the whole 90 minutes was constantly shouting "get it up there", "get it in to the mixer".

Pinchy is right. There are vast sections of the fans at BDTBL who refuse to accept that football has evolved.

I have complete faith that Clough is dragging this club kicking and screaming in to the modern world of technical football after far too many years of up and at em shite !!

Getting to the point, if this journey is to continue, whatever impact players like Michael Higdon may occasionally have, in the long term, I doubt he will have much of a future under the current management.

UTB.

Dronfield , cant argue with your points.

Mr Clough is changing the playing culture of SUFC , and the biggest positive for me with the cup runs , is that it gives us exposure in the media , and more importantly the rest of football , that we are not a hard , physical , hoof it , long ball side.

Playing football " the right way " will help us in the transfer loan market , and we have the opportunity to be competing with championship sides , and league 1 sides like Crewe , MK Dons , to acquire top young talent from the likes of Spurs , Arsenal , Chelsea , Liverpool etc.

Higdon will benefit from Brayford , and may well be used upfront with Che Evans , but his life span is league 1, no higher.

UTB

I think higdon would be in my starting 11 if we were to play 2 upfront,causes problems even if he isn't directly involved in the play. not the type of striker who can do it on his own.

I've watched Higdon in the last two games and I think we're starting to see something with him

V Preston
We started with a 3-5-2, but changed this to 4-4-2 when we realised that the two wing backs weren't up to the high intensity that's required for that position. The key though was through central midfield and up front. Higdon played the traditional target man with Diego off him. First half we were slow to get going, Higdon and Diego didn't get much dropping for them.

Second half was a different story, it was ideal for Higdon, the balls were coming direct, but also to feet, the midfield using Higdon frequently to hold the ball, play one-twos or to let Higdon lay the ball off to Diego.

Higdon and Diego looked a natural partnership once they settled and with Murphy out left and Baxter spraying the ball about as he wished, we constantly looked dangerous

Pros - hold up play, receiving the ball to feet, playing with his back to goal, bringing the second striker into play
Cons - shooting, he had an effort from just inside the box which he ballooned! And oddly in the air on crosses he looked too heavy. He seems to jump early and is always on the way down by the time he heads it

V Spurs
Coming in late and with us going more direct, he could put the centre halves under pressure, often with both centre halves clambering over him to head it, he looked strong and frightened them, our goals came from Che being free as Walker left him - twice. Why? Because he'd been dragged across to help with Higdon.

The way we play with 3 up front on the counter and players like Scoogs and Reed breaking forward means that the centre halves will be occupied with Higdon, a more powerful and frightening prospect than McNulty as he's more physical and much more of a handful. He gets involved and gives them a different challenge. It also allows the wingers to break into the box late and unmarked

Higdon v McNulty
McNulty is most definitely first choice, his movement and touch are fantastic, but his finishing is what really wins it. However, there is certainly a place for a Higdon type player, perhaps as the impact player or in games, like Preston where they have two big lumps at the back. McNulty also doesn't like to play with his back to goal, great most of the time, but he wants to turn all the time,rather than looking to hold the ball and play simple one twos, he's always on the look out to turn, this sometimes means he gets pushed out of position, runs down a blind alley or plays the ball back anyway, often taking pace out of an attack. Higdon and Diego at Preston maintained the pace in the attack and quick passes got Diego through on more than one occasion.

The problem that we have is that we need Higdon to have more spark about him, he needs to have that striker instinct and the finish to go with it. Compared to O'Grady, Higdon just doesn't seem to have enough, yet. I personally don't think we have time this season to allow Higdon to get both his fitness, form and to find that spark. Next season maybe, but we need O'Grady by Saturday.

Good summary Swiss.

Reminded me of the triple assault season when we would have a similar player in Chief up top taking up defenders that allowed the likes of Nuddy, Kabba, Pesch and Browny to contribute off of him in that 4-3-3/4-5-1 we played, certainly a good Plan B and unlike they said on tv - I don't even think we went that more direct, still looked to get it out wide by playing football but with Higdon there we could get more first time/early crosses in which gave the wingers options.

Dronfield , cant argue with your points.

Mr Clough is changing the playing culture of SUFC , and the biggest positive for me with the cup runs , is that it gives us exposure in the media , and more importantly the rest of football , that we are not a hard , physical , hoof it , long ball side.

Playing football " the right way " will help us in the transfer loan market , and we have the opportunity to be competing with championship sides , and league 1 sides like Crewe , MK Dons , to acquire top young talent from the likes of Spurs , Arsenal , Chelsea , Liverpool etc.

Higdon will benefit from Brayford , and may well be used upfront with Che Evans , but his life span is league 1, no higher.

UTB

Dronfield ????!!!!!

Me missus calls me that when I am bad ;)

UTB

Good summary Swiss.

Reminded me of the triple assault season when we would have a similar player in Chief up top taking up defenders that allowed the likes of Nuddy, Kabba, Pesch and Browny to contribute off of him in that 4-3-3/4-5-1 we played, certainly a good Plan B and unlike they said on tv - I don't even think we went that more direct, still looked to get it out wide by playing football but with Higdon there we could get more first time/early crosses in which gave the wingers options.

Good point BP. But with Chief, he was much more the bully-man and opportunist and had an almost (but not by a stretch, mind) Deano-like capability to dig out an opportunity from fuck-all. I saw Higdon's goals against Franchise and I thought, 'at last. He's found his feet and we have a striker!' They were fucking well-taken opportunities - the second one really, really good stuff. But he is limited, and shows his limitations. I don't expect him to be Alan Shearer, but on the end of Flynn's cross last night, whose foot do you reckon would have made contact with that dangerous ball across the six yard line which had a very flakey Vroom shitting breeze blocks? Higdon can't have read Flynn's intent and gambled, starting his run as soon as the ball leaves the supplier's feet. Good strikers do that.

Maybe he'll get some sort of form going with the new setup? Hope so. We desperately need goals.

pommpey

Good summary Swiss.

I should perhaps clarify what I meant by direct. It doesnt mean going long/ hoofing, but getting at them, not fannying around with tippy tappy passes, but getting forward more quickly and trying to get in behind Spurs by whatever means necessary

Higdon seems less bulky now and last night and at Preston he was OK.

We may see a completely differant Higdon with John Brayford back in the side and Flynn reverting to his usual position.

The Higdon , Evans partnership , for the little time we saw it , did look very promising .

Higdon does give us further options , and last night , we did look more of a goal threat , when he came on with young Evans.

Evans pace , energy , enthusiasm will assist Higdons attributes of strength and holding the ball .

Higdon cant run the channels , but Evans will do it for him.

UTB

Adams Adams Adams Adams

V Preston

V Spurs

Higdon v McNulty

As one of his biggest critics you are onto something here. He does pose a different threat but his first touch and hold up play has to improve and be more consistent. If he gets games under his belt he may be a positive impact yet. I want him to be but the jury for me is still out.

Where I will give him credit is that if our wingers turn defenders and get them facing their own goal a target like Higdon backed up by others in the box is better than Scoogs and assorted other midgets.

Adams and Diego both did well playing along side Higdon, and both look a far more promising partnership than the Higdon McNulty one

Last edited:

UTB.
I agree with nearly all the posts but the up and at them comes as a legacy of Bassett and warnock the two managers who got us in the premier league !! personally I was brought up on the Currie and woody years so I like football to be played on the floor but I doubt any of us could say Billy dearden was a Costa ???:D but he scored a lot of goals for us

I've said it a few times on here but to get the best out Higdon he needs to play in two up front .
Who will work best with him that's another question.
Create chances for him he'll finish.
He was just coming good up to the Chesterfield game and before he walked he was causing them all sorts of trouble.
Don't write him off yet.

I think he's been a victim of circumstance a bit. He's never got going or had chance at a run in team due to a mix of injury, suspension and the form of others. (Granted, some that is his own making)

He's shown he can be a threat in parts but never over a period of games. 5 goals isn't a terrible haul for a 'target man' either considering how stop start he's had it. Some of the criticism he gets is harsh and I still think he's got his part to play in our season yet.

V Preston

V Spurs

Higdon v McNulty

Said it all season Swiss higgo is not our goal scorer he is the man centre halfs worry about and therefore leave gaps, last night was crying out for him, but not to put the ball in the net to simply give them something different to worry about.

Said it all season Swiss higgo is not our goal scorer he is the man centre halfs worry about and therefore leave gaps, last night was crying out for him, but not to put the ball in the net to simply give them something different to worry about.

If teams worry about Higgo what they going to do with The Beard.

Higdon's been a big disappointment, but he's improved in his last couple of performances.

First and foremost I think he's been showing signs of a changed attitude, where he's more determined and aggressive. I noticed there was an occasion against Preston where he was really shouting a team mate for not closing down an opponent, and it was the first time he'd displayed that kind of enthusiasm. When the Spurs players crowded around Basham for sliding in on Vorm, Higdon also got involved and gave Vertonghen a little push. Good to see someone looking imposing in situations like that, it's a "role" I think he can, and should, do, a la Billy Whitehurst. I also noticed that he didn't celebrate Diego's goal at Preston, just jogged back, and I suspect that fans' criticism have got to him, and finally made him determined to prove a point, after maybe hitting his confidence at first.

It would be great if he can keep showing more of the same.

Back
Top Bottom